Playtesting

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• "Herminard" wrote:

3 OB 1 Vet.

Both Saurii and TG have legal combinations (spears + halberds).

Also a Q on line of sight - can draw a line from front rank to target + target is in front arch > can always see? Was a matter of an odd angle charge with a hill involved.

H
    • "fjugin" wrote:

"Princecharming" wrote:

If i do a soulblighr with doomfires, and activate lore of death attribute; do i regain one lost doomfire if i take a wound?
      "Regain wounds" is defined under General Principles, where it says that it can never bring back models, so no, you cannot bring warlocks back (you would need "raise wounds" for that).

"Herminard" wrote:

Q: The metal spell nr1 that reduces strength of shooting by 1. Does it affect hydras breathweapons? In Combat too?
      No. Because it is not a "weapon". I can see how that is not clear from reading the rules, will try to clarify in beta version.

"Herminard" wrote:

Q: Are we correct to assume that both Saurus with spears and TG with halberds can opt at the start of new combat to choose between specialized weapon and hw+shield?
      I can't remember what we wrote in the alpha version, but in the beta version that we are working on atm, the rules are the same as in 8th (must choose special weapon). Reason is that we do not want spears to be strictly better than HW/shield, the choice of equipment should be a strategical choice made when creating the army list.

"Herminard" wrote:

Also a Q on line of sight - can draw a line from front rank to target + target is in front arch > can always see? Was a matter of an odd angle charge with a hill involved.
      Not sure I follow you here. But I think the answer should be no, line of sight can only be drawn in the front arc (i.e. not outside 45 degrees)

Thanks for all feedback, keep it coming
    • "Herminard" wrote:

A model can trace line of sight to its target (point
      or unit) if you can extend a straight line from the
      front of its base directly to its target, without
      going out of the unit's front arc, and without being
      interrupted by blocking terrain or by the base of a
      model which has larger height than both the unit
      and its target.
    • "Berndl987" wrote:

"Berndl987" wrote:

played a Game of Beastmen vs Warriors of Chaos:

first of all some rules are unclear and need to be clarified
      1) we both had Chariots of Khorne: do the Impact Hits and the Chariot's mounts attacks benefit from the Mark of Khorne.

2) does the Cygor -1 to cast debuff stack?

It would be great if we could get a clarification on those questions :)
    • "arthain" wrote:

"Berndl987" wrote:

"Berndl987" wrote:

played a Game of Beastmen vs Warriors of Chaos:

first of all some rules are unclear and need to be clarified
      1) we both had Chariots of Khorne: do the Impact Hits and the Chariot's mounts attacks benefit from the Mark of Khorne.

2) does the Cygor -1 to cast debuff stack?

It would be great if we could get a clarification on those questions :)
      Would be yes to both
    • "Kratos" wrote:

Had a small game of brets vs Wood elves.

WE: list 2400 points
      Spellweaver Life lvl4
      - Arsai bow
      - 5++ talisman
      - Wand of tranquility (too cheap! must include!)
      - Teleport stone

Spellsinger lvl 2 life
      - Unicorn
      - Caligor staff
      - Dragonbane gem

Glade Captain BSB
      - Asrai spear
      - Shield
      - Obsidian amulet
      - Bow of loren

10 Skirmish Dryads
      20 Glade guards, musician, standard (lion standard) Trueflight (lvl 4 here)
      5 Glade riders, musician, hagbane

4 treekin (lvl2 unicorn here)
      20 Wildwood rangers, musician, banner, banner of eternal flame (BSB here)
      5 Sisters of the thorn
      3 Warhawk riders
      5 Kornous, shields, champion

1 Great Eagle
      1 Great Eagle
      6 Waywatchers

BR: list 2400 points
      Green Knight

Prophetes lvl 4 heavens
      - Bretonian warhorse
      - Wand of tranquility

Lord on Pegasus
      - Questing Vow
      - Virtue of Heroism
      - Charmed Shield
      - Sword of swift slaying
      - The other trickster shard
      - Insignea of the Quest

Damsel lvl 2 beasts
      - Bretonian warhorse
      - Dispell scroll

Paladin on warhorse BSB
      - Shield
      - Gromril great helm
      - Wyrmlance
      - Virtue of Duty

Paladin on warhorse
      - Shield
      - Dragonhelm
      - Dawnstone
      - Gauntlets of challenge
      - Virtue of confidence

10 Peasant bowmen, braziers, standard
      10 Peasant bowmen, brarziers, standard
      9 KotR FC, War banner (lvl 4, BSB and Pal here)
      11 KE, Gleaming pennant (lvl 2 here)

3 Pegasus Knights
      3 Pegasus Knights

1 Trebuchet
      1 Trebuchet

My impressions so far:

WE:
      - Life magic on WE is strong! Very good synergy there.
      - Treekin are nice now, they tank a lot of damage and can hurt a lot with S5.
      - Sister of the thorn are now more easily catchable due to not being fast cavalry anymore.
      - Regrowth + atribute is strong to recover wounds on monsters or monstruos infantery, as you can raise one treekin and then heal an additional wound. Good!

I have rules interactions questions with Spirits of the woods.
      - Can I move/nuke a unit with Caligor Staff after casting Spirits of the woods?
      - Can I teleport to another forest after using Spirits of the woods?
      I played as yes to both.

BR:
      - Heavens is a bit meh, chain lighting 3+ to jump is still irritating and the up in cost of harmonic convergence hurt a lot. Also wording is not clear, can I choose between to hit, to wound and armor save, or to hit and to wound or armor saves.
      - Wind blast is ok vs offensive armies, but is useles vs gunlines. -1 to shoot or some lighting hits and better range should be added. Could be ok vs avoindance...but WE teleport and move on trees.
      - Pegasus Knights are now weaker. Loosing Fast Cavalry is ok, but being Light trops their Lances only get +1 str, feels weird and they lost some punch.
      - Characters taking virtues makes them even stronger, but characters and trebuchets are the only good units bretonnia has at the moment.

Massacre for WE. Basically WE avoided the KotR deathstar while picking other threads. Warhaws died to lighitng but Riders and Sisters poison/magic killed trebs, then redirected the KotR. Treekin holded errants charge and when kuornous flanked them it was over. When KoTR finally chargued wildwood rangers, KB spear from Glade captain killed Confidence paladin before he could even strike...

It's a bad matchup for bretonia...but they still need more balancing.
    • "Blobnob" wrote:

So a couple of days ago I played a somewhat drunken game and the lists were not exactly tuned or competitive but on the basis of all data being good data I will post what I can remember. I suspect we may have got a few rules wrong along the way.

I played a Khorne themed Beastman army against Dark Elves.

I got slaughtered.

The dark elves had dark riders, witch elves, warlocks, hydra and a bolt thrower

I had giants, bestigor, gor and a pair of tuskgore chariots.

1) Warlocks are still fantastic for their price and superb monster killers. Ward save vs high return attacks, reroll poison attacks vs targets whose defence is toughness, not stompable and with mobility to get the fights they want. My opponent used these well and they picked off my high value targets. As my opponent expected me to play WoC he took lore of metal on his sorceress - the Dark riders used most of his power.

2) Dark riders. Still as effective at ensuring I have no chaff as ever. Still to fast to deal with without flyers or decent shooting. Going Khorne as a theme screwed be due to lack of wizard

2) Witch elves were similar to warlocks. T4 army with no armour, almost no shooting and an inability to keep chaff down in the face of dark riders and a bolt thrower suffers at the hands of ASF poison units with lots of attacks, especially as core.

3) Hydra wasn't great as it didn't see combat before T3, by which time it was too late.

4) The bolt thrower. It was ok. My lack of armour played into this one well. It panicked some chaff once which was useful but it wasn't particularly dominant.

On my side

1) Chariots were a threat but short lived. They kept the hydra away from my lines pretty well. They still fold up like paper against any kind of concentrated shooting.

2) Gors. They died. Lots. I don't feel these guys are bad value but MoK on them didn't achieve much. At least they were not worth shooting at.

3) Bestigors. These didn't do much. My opponent was too mobile for these guys to engage until the last turn where the unit was literally surrounded and charged on 4 sides. The three that got to fight back did get 3 kills between them though.

4) The giants... Much nicer at their reduced cost but difficult to use. I just couldn't keep them away from giant killer units (warlocks and witchelves). One of those (kind of) got my my only points of the game when some dark riders fled from its charge and failed two rally checks.

I was a bit disapointed in the result but I think that a lot of it comes down to army selection.

Beastmen need to take mark of Nurgle. Everything else is a trap. The army survives on its toughness so poison is just far too potent to ignore. Without the tools to keep poisoned units away from beastmen armoured units I think this is mandatory.

Heavy cavalry might be less good following changes but mobility, shooting and the ability to pick out high value targets is still vital.

Balance has been improved, both internal and external but not to the point where you can just pick the theme you want and it will work. There are some things still needed just to fill a certain role.

I also used a lot of the models I had and that I had not used so much, so the army was built without a particular plan in mind. I imagine it could easily do better with some refinement.

Anyway, looking to try again this weekend. Lets see how Orcs and Goblins perform.
    • "KolgothMountaineater" wrote:

Ok so I have now had my first game using the 9th Age rule set with my ogres against a friend's Vampires and I absolutely loved. I do have a couple observations that I think need tweaking:

It is completely unnecessary to limit Terrorgheists to 1 per army. 2 would be more reasonable

Ogre magic is brilliant but I think you have been to kind to ogres in respect of the lore attribute, it is far too easy to get your Slaughtermaster to 10 wounds and given some of the kit they can take it can make them a real monster and as a result why would you take a tyrant instead of a Slaughtermaster? I don't think you need to change the 8th ed. lore attribute as the potential gain is tempered with the risk of taking a wound and fits the fluff and character of the model. That said I don't mind if you keep the can gain up to double wounds but it should have the "take a wound on the roll of a 1" or if keeping the potential double wounds "take a wound for every 1 rolled when casting a given spell"

Otherwise the rules were great. Of course it's only one game so I haven't encountered large parts of the rule book weapon changes or special rules yet

On an additional note, love the new costings and rules tweaks for Giants, I ran 2 and though they didn't earn their points back (they only got to fight hordes of zombies) they were so much fun

Love the new big names too

Keep up the good work
    • "jonnyman113" wrote:

Had my second game of 9th age last night, but it was my first real game since both sides were balanced this time. My friends Dark Elves versus my version of Tomb Kings I posted in the TK thread.

Dark Elves (roughly):
      Dreadlord on cold one
      Master on cold one
      Lv 4 to dark (had +6 to cast)
      Lv 2 to beasts, dispel scroll
      Master on pegasus
      30 spearmen
      10 x 2 darkshards
      5 dark riders
      3 bolt throwers
      16 cold one riders (Dreadlord and BSB went here)

Tomb Kings:
      Tomb King on Royal Warsphinx
      Lv 4 Nehek (had the wand of tranquility and forgot to use it all game :P)
      Tomb Prince BSB on steed
      Lv 1 Light, dispel scroll
      50 spearmen
      19 x 2 archers
      5 x 2 horse archers
      9 horsemen
      scorpion
      6 ushabti
      colossus
      casket

-Magic for me was kind of uneventful. I got maybe three spells off all game but I did lose two wizard levels on my level four kind of early on. Nehek magic is so much better now. Dark magic was going off left and right and really ruined my day. Failing to cast a spell but still being able to cast with that same wizard without bonuses is really nice.
      -My horsemen got into his spears and lost quite a few at once to killing blow and then the unit completely crumbled. It was very poor play by me but at that point I really had no place to go with them. My spearmen got into his cold one knights and died in droves. They lasted three turns and maybe killing blowed one knight per turn. Again bad play by me as they were unsupported almost the whole time against a giant unit of elite warriors.

All in all very fun game. Came down to just three Ushabti and maybe six cold one knights and the Dreadlord and BSB left. Since I used my own updated TK list I'll post my thoughts on the army in the TK thread.

-Almost forgot, we did use ASF as +1 to hit instead of re-rolls. I did feel like the game went a little faster and he was still hitting a lot (most of the time on a 2+). On a few occasions I got "man re-rolls would be nice right about now" but I still felt he was hitting a lot on most of his combats. It felt more balanced and didn't feel like it took a lot away from the Dark Elves (in the end though I still think he missed the re-rolls :P).
    • "AlexCat" wrote:

Had three games with 9th rules.

1. HE (annointed on a flamebird), then just typical HE roster (tried spearmen for core though) against WE.
      2. Tomb Kings (chariots, 2+1 sphynxes, titan, 3 morghasts) vs Daemons (wrath + KoS + some letters and BoNs with cannon)
      3. The same HE list from 1. against 1+ Empire (karl in boing, 2 cannons, tank, 2 pegasi).

Here is some questions and subjective feedback:
      - does Wake of Fire work with Shadow Lore attribute? Can I burn the same unit twice during one magic phase? During one spell (lurker + attribute)? As of now, it seems this way cause they are different moves
      - I would increase the Lurker movement to 10"
      - lore of metal buffs seem a little bit too good with the lore attribute
      - lore of nehekhara aura versions seem too easy to cast, especially with +1 for hierophant and titan and casket.
      - cavalry (especially character filled units) really fear spearmen now. Very beautiful sight to behold :)
      - lore of Death seems OP even if I only cast Spirit Leech from titan once. This attribute is too much, working in CC.
    • "[AUT wrote:

ThEjOkEr"]Thank you for your feedback - we are actively discussing the raised points and hope to be able to include as much feedback as possible in the upcoming Beta version!

Philip
    • "SkargitCrookfang" wrote:

Game last week 2000 pts- Battleline:

My Opponent's List - VC
      -Blender Lord
      -Lvl 4 Necro
      -Lvl 2 Necro
      -Wight BSB- mounted
      -20 Zombies
      -20 Zombies
      -40 Skeletons with Spears
      -10 Black Knights
      -2 Spirit Hosts
      -5 Dogs
      -5 Dogs
      -Terrorgeist

Crooked Fang Tribe
      -CG Warboss
      -CG Warboss w/wizarding hat (rolled Heavens)
      -CG Great Shaman
      -BSB w/spider banner
      -Goblin Cowboy
      -57 Goblin archers (with shields)
      -38 HW/S Gobbos - skulkers
      -9 Wolf riders
      -2 chariots
      -2 chariots
      -2 Rock Lobbers
      -2 Doom Divers
      -2 Chukkas

The lowdown
      -Turn 1, Skargit gains the initiative. the left flank has most of the goblins in "turtle" mode, while the right flank has the chariots, wolf boys and one chukka. Pretty much a nullzone in the center. VC's have a shifted center deployment, challenging my main battery of archers and WMs on my left. Wolfboys vanguard in an attempt to cause confusion and panic on the flanks. Shortbows kill a few skellies. One rock lobber misfires and falls apart. Magic is pretty much nadda'. The VCs move up, the Knights take cover behind a center woods and the terrorgeist screams a few wolf boys off the table... who fail their panic check. Yay.

-Turn 2, wolf chariots hold steady, wolfboys rally. The battery holds steady, shaman gets GotSG off, giving the massive block of archers 5+ poison. They proceed to fire on the only thing they can... some wolves. They are officially splattered (something like 22 auto wounds. splat). Doom diver hits the knights, killing 6(!). Other doom diver... misfires, rolls a 1. Boom, gone. Chukka rolls a 1 to hit... and a 1.... gone. (bad game for misfires). VC continues their slog across the board, raises some zombies (and some BKs back), Terrorgeist gets a weak scream off, killing one or two wolfboys (who are a-ok), and the Knights regroup on the other side of the woods.

-Turn 3, animosity rears its ugly head. 1 follow by a 1 on my massed archers... they kill 7 of their brethren, losing 4 in return. Chariots charge the Knights, other group gets into position for a flank on the spearmen (who have been redirected out of fear of the goblin cowboy and wolfboy flank charge). Cowboy leaves the unit and rushes towards the main battlelines.. Magic, the Great Shaman, to this point, was outside the offending mobs, and goes for broke- Curse of Da Bad Moon on the now 60+ mob of zombies heading towards my lines. Goes off on a 27, no miscast, opponent rolls... bam... 22 (bad roll). Artillery dice... is a 4. The vortex lands, literally, in front of the zombie unit. Shooting...oops... another doom diver falls apart. Lobber connects on the Terrorgeist... roll a 1 to wound. Doom Diver hits him, as well, lots of hits (5 I believe), does 3 unsaved wounds. In combat, my chariots roll very high for impact hits, shred the remainder of the Knights. The Wight King does 1 wound back to the wolf carts and pops.

Now...some fun. The zombie horde charges... snake eyes. Excellent. The rest of the horde shambles forward, while the skellies that were off kilter on my right flank are now getting their sh&t together and heading for the battle. Skellies charge the remainder of the wolf boys, a plethora of v. cav KBs make short work of them. More zombies raised (shocking) and the Vamp moves from the main zombie horde to the rear one, at some point. The right flank spirit host got a high roll off for charging, hitting my other chariot mob... who lose combat... and run like hell.

-Turn 4... here we go! No animosity. running wolf chariots leave the field. Goblin bus on the far left charges the 35, or so, smaller zombie unit threatening my left flank. Goblin cowboy weaves around, looking to harass the spirit host gunning for my war machines (he has a cheap magic weapon). Magic phase... GotSG goes off. The goblin archers are now in short range (but still close enough for stand and shoot) and take down 20~ (give or take) zombies. Great shots, boys- love that 5+ poison on around 37 shots! Doom Diver cranks the already wounded terrorgeist, putting him down to 1 wound. Close combat, skulkers pop out, my goblins do around 9 wounds. The zombies are on fire... putting 10 wounds on my goblins. However, 5+ save downs that to 5, and 5++ parry makes it 1... and that was just a skulker without a save!

VC player- charges his (now not so massive) horde of zombies at my goblin archers... who let loose another effective volley (well, only 17 shots for S&S, but still offed about 8 of them). Vampire's growing horde shambles in behind that mob, Terrorgeist sets up a potential turn 5 charge on my archers' flank (!). Magic phase was just more raising. Close combat, the left flank goblins grind the zombies down more, losing 2 of their own. The huge mob of archer gobbos, with a 3 character compliment, ravage the zombies-20 killed, with no casualties back (that 5+/5++ is great!). The unit is put down to 3, after unstable.

-Turn 5... where it allllllll falls down. Chariots fail their charge on the 'geist (badly, and putting me in a horrible position), Cowboy fails his charge on the spirit host. Magic... ugh... triple 1s for GotSG- broken concentration. Wizarding hat gobbo casts Harmonic Convergence (hits), goes off fine. Shooting... well, everything has now officially fallen apart, on its own, for my war machines. Close Combat- left flank gobbos take a few wounds (unsaved) but bring the zombies down to but a few. Archer goblins eviscerate the pitiful remaining zombies... only to see another horde, with a Vampire, staring straight at them.

VC time. Blender Vamp's unit charges, stand and shoot isn't all that great (2 dead zombies... uh oh). Geist gets off a hail mary of a charge, ramming into their flank... also, uh oh. Skeletons are so far behind, they'll never see the battle. Close combat: my left flank gobbos kill the zombies- all of 'em. The center... doesn't go as well. Blender gon' blend- kills around 8 goblins, himself, and parries were not on my side. Hits and wounds just weren't happening for my mob and characters (even with their hit rerolls) and the terrorgeist gets 6 stomps in, 3 normal attack deaths... (the zombies may have killed a few gobbos, as well). The archers run like hell, right off the board. And that is game.

TL;DR Observations:
      Pros
      -The magic phase was far less daunting- while some hexes and buffs did their jobs, the big nukes, that sometimes ruin a game, don't feel as though they'd do so. CotBM, while never a world beater, was a clear example of this.
      -5++ parry. I love it. It made me really feel as though my main infantry were there to hold the line.
      -The inability for me to big boss spam let me try a few other things than I normally would, which in my mind, was a good thing.
      -Again on magic... I think there was one, minor, miscast between both sides the whole game. The low dice emphasis on the rules really took the "ram it through" aspect away for both myself and my opponent.

Cons
      -I wasn't expecting my wolfboys to do much, but man... that spear KB thing really makes me say "hmmm". Perhaps an alteration of the effect to "on the turn the spear unit is charged in the front arc", because I can see protracted combat, and even flanked-to-reformed spearmen just annihilating cav-heavy armies with excessive ease.
      -The Terrorgeist was the difference... but the fact he was still alive, when he was, is more a testament to my war machines being held together by spit and hope, rather than it being OP. I actually don't feel as though the 0-1 limit is warranted.

Anyways, I have pictures for this...buuuut... they really didn't turn out all that well. Should have used my wife's camera. Maybe I'll post a few for the hell of it, later on.

"jonnyman113" wrote:

Don't forget even if you fail to cast a spell you can still cast more spells with that wizard. Just can't use your wizard levels. Great batrep by the way!

Bloody hell! I messed that up!

Thanks for letting me know!
    • "Berndl987" wrote:

"SkargitCrookfang" wrote:

Cons
      -I wasn't expecting my wolfboys to do much, but man... that spear KB thing really makes me say "hmmm". Perhaps an alteration of the effect to "on the turn the spear unit is charged in the front arc", because I can see protracted combat, and even flanked-to-reformed spearmen just annihilating cav-heavy armies with excessive ease.

I am not sure if you are mixing up some things here, according to your List above you didnt have any infantry with spears.
      Spear only have killing blow when used by infantry! when used by cavalry they count as Lances, unless the cavalry unit has the Light troops special rule (which your wolf riders have), in which case they only gain +1S on charge (not +2).

Spear
      Fight in Extra Ranks.
      Killing Blow against
      Cavalry, Monstrous Cavalry and Chariots engaged in
      the front.
      Spears wielded by mounted models uses
      the rules for Lances

"Berndl987" wrote:

"SkargitCrookfang" wrote:

Cons

I am not sure if you are mixing up some things here, according to your List above you didnt have any infantry with spears.
      Spear only have killing blow when used by infantry! when used by cavalry they count as Lances, unless the cavalry unit has the Light troops special rule (which your wolf riders have), in which case they only gain +1S on charge (not +2).

Spear
      Fight in Extra Ranks.
      Killing Blow against
      Cavalry, Monstrous Cavalry and Chariots engaged in
      the front.
      Spears wielded by mounted models uses
      the rules for Lances

The skeleton infantry had spears- they charged the wolfies.
    • "SmithF" wrote:

I played a battle with my Wood Elves vs ArchangelusM's High Elves.
      I posted a battle report on the Battle Reports subforum, you can find it here

Comments and feedback to come soon.
    • "AlexCat" wrote:

Played a game, using Nurgle DP with Lore of Death. Though, I lost, noone was able to do real harm to this beast. Lore attribute is clearly OP combined with supertough users like himself.
    • "Nagash Worshipper" wrote:

As a supporter and long time lurker I've now created an account and wanted to give some feedback. Faced of against my friends Ogres with my VC last night.
      Got utterly trashed but I felt it had more with my poor magic phases, lack of good charges and ignorance of OK-list than differences in army strength.
      May have missed some stuff but this is a general outline of what we brought to the table:

Vampire Counts:
      Heinrich.
      Vampire BSB, 1+AS, 1+ To hit sword, R-Fury.
      Lv.1 scroll Necro.
      42 Skelie spears (scrollie here)
      30 Zombies.
      30 Grave G, GW, FC, Barrow Banner (Heinrich here).
      5 Blood Knights, FC, Bloodkeep flag (BSB here).
      3 x 5 Dire wolves.
      1 x 2 spirit hosts.
      Vargulf.
      14 Ghouls, champ.
      3 crypt horrors, champ.

Ogre Kingdoms:
      Lv.4 Slaughtermaster, Wand of Tranquility.
      Ogre Lord with ASF and Minotaur Name.
      BSB with good armor save.
      3 x 1 Sabertusks.
      Giant.
      7 Ironguts, FC, Dragonback banner (Lord and BSB in here).
      4 Mournfang, 2+ AS, FC.
      8 x Ogre Bulls, FC (Slaughtermaster here).
      4 Leadbelchers.
      Ironblast Cannon.

My spirit hosts managed to break the Leadbelchers on the flank.

The Vargulf and Crypt Horrors alone stood up to the Ogre Bulls. New higher points for Horrors are definitely a good change and they managed to survive the whole game.

The new rules for spears are wonderful. I had the skellies in horde formation and managed to charge his mournfangs (he'd forgot about the new spears and let them draw close). They managed to inflict 4 wounds! Killing a whole Mournfang! In 8th that wouldn't have been possible without some severe magic support. The were utterly demolished when the mournfangs hit back but still it was an enjoyable fight!

The Ironguts unit made short work of my Grave Guards, the KB wasn't noticed here obviously. In total he killed 16 of my guys and I made a total of 8 wounds. The result was a Crumble defeat thx to unstable.

A Sabertusk held up my Zombies and the Blood knights didn't see much fighting. Again I felt that was one of the key elements to me loosing the fight so badly.

All in all, we felt some of the changes in 9th Age and decided they were good ones. A few things stood out:

- parry saves on 2+ AS mournfangs now with 5++ felt a bit iffy but so long as they are rightly costed it's no problem.

- the wand of tranquility is a VERY useful item. I can't stress enough how much I'd wished that I'd brought a Lv.4 with it rather than Kemmler. Combined with a scroll in the army you can really break the opponents magic plans. It makes a Lv.4 almost always worth it for even if you get some bad magic yourself your wizard can still earn it's points by messing with the opponent.
      A no brainer in every army for only 35 pts!

- the giant is definitely worth it with the new points. The new points should be official.

- Don't know what the thoughts are about the random magic phases but we felt that VC armies that aren't monster-heavy and/or blenderbus are very vulnerable to random magic phases gone bad and expensive infantry exposed to crumble.
      In the old 6th edition VC book there was always a balance in the selection of lords and if the player so which'd one could shift the focus of the list between magic, combat or a small balance in between. I strongly suggest the 9th Age team consider small tweaks in restrictions and bonuses to VC army with this in mind.

Hope this feedback is useful and good luck with the project!
    • Swordmaster wrote:

Hi guys,

I have just posted a report from the first game with Alpha rules of 9th Age here:

warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtop…94823&start=1320#p1558274

The game was kind of one sided and we didn't have the chance to see some spectacular impact 9th Age makes on the game yet but I hope it will be a good source of feedback anyway. I plan to post more reports from 9th Age in the future.

Please, let me know if you are interested in testing something in particular so I would know what to pay speciall attention to in the future.

Cheers!