Pinned The "There are no stupid questions" thread! Ask anything

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

    • The "There are no stupid questions" thread! Ask anything

      This thread is exactly what it seems: any question on any aspect of T9A (rules/gameplay/background) or the hobby in general you might have please feel free to ask away and I'll try my best to get an answer. This thread is particularly for questions that seem too simple or silly to ask elsewhere, as the title says anything goes.

      This goes for this whole forum section really.
      ETC Salamanca 2017 - Wales - VC (Merc)
      ETC Zagreb 2018 - Wales - VC (Merc)

      Check out T9A's Official Discord server! discord.gg/yeGPwcG Come and hang with us!

      My YouTube channel: youtube.com/channel/UCzANmC2-K…6ASeHA?view_as=subscriber
    • Nice first question!

      In answer there is usually a pairing phase when the teams drawn together determine who will play who. In two man teams generally I've only seen doubles (as in 2v2 on the same board as allies). 3 man team events are rare afaik but 4 and 8 man events are the more common in my experience.

      Here is an example of the procedure as used at this year's ETC (8 man teams)

      Pairings

      Step 1 - “The Opening” (First 2 match-ups)
      • Both Teams simultaneously place 1 army on the table
      • Both Teams simultaneously offer 2 armies for the opponent’s placed army to choose from.
      • Both Teams simultaneously choose which one of the 2 opponent’s offers they want.
      • The army initially placed will fight against the offered army selected (On-Table vs Chosen)
      • Unchosen army is returned to its Team

      Step 2 - “The Second Opening” (Match-ups 3rd and 4th)
      • Develops exactly as Step 1.

      Step 3 - “The Showdown” (All 4 match-ups left)
      • Both Teams simultaneously place 1 army on the table
      • Both Teams simultaneously offer 2 armies for the opponent’s placed army to choose from.
      • At this point each Team has only 1 card in his hand (Started with 4, placed 1, and offered 2)
      • Each team simultaneously chooses which one of the opponent’s 2 offered armies they want to face their initially placed army (Match-ups 5th and 6th). The other army offered by the opponent and not chosen will face the one card left on the Team’s hand. (Last On-Hand vs Last Unchosen, last match-ups)



      In a 4 man event you could simply use just the Step 1 "The Opening" part of this since that way all 4 players would be paired.

      Hopefully that answers your question. 8-)
      ETC Salamanca 2017 - Wales - VC (Merc)
      ETC Zagreb 2018 - Wales - VC (Merc)

      Check out T9A's Official Discord server! discord.gg/yeGPwcG Come and hang with us!

      My YouTube channel: youtube.com/channel/UCzANmC2-K…6ASeHA?view_as=subscriber
    • Just finished my first game of 9th using the warband rules mentioned by wargaming on the balcony, fun.

      Are we playing it correctly that you can only dispell if you've a (non-fleeing) wizard?

      After a unit breaks and you overtake it (pursue roll > flee roll) do you move the whole pursue distance or just the distance of the fleeing unit (at which point you catch up with and remove them and stop)?

      Correct that archers fight with standard hand weapons when in close combat? (Even when they're not listed on their profile.)

      After you persue successfully, and follow up with a post combat reform you cannot "charge in the next player turn", even if that's your own?

      Thanks
    • Sigwar wrote:

      Are we playing it correctly that you can only dispell if you've a (non-fleeing) wizard?
      You can only dispel with that wizard if he/she is not fleeing. Even if you have no wizards at all you can still attempt to dispel a spell.


      Sigwar wrote:

      After a unit breaks and you overtake it (pursue roll > flee roll) do you move the whole pursue distance or just the distance of the fleeing unit (at which point you catch up with and remove them and stop)?
      If the fleeing unit is caught it is removed from play immediately but mark where its centre would have been. Then move the full distance towards the point, or even past it if the unit rolled high enough.


      Sigwar wrote:

      Correct that archers fight with standard hand weapons when in close combat? (Even when they're not listed on their profile.)
      Hand Weapon:
      All models are armed with a Hand Weapon. Hand Weapons cannot be lost, destroyed or nullified by any means. If a model has any other Close Combat Weapon than a Hand Weapon, it cannot choose to use the Hand Weapon (unless specifically stated). Hand Weapons wielded by models on foot can be used alongside a Shield to get the Parry rule.

      So yes.


      Sigwar wrote:

      After you persue successfully, and follow up with a post combat reform you cannot "charge in the next player turn", even if that's your own?

      Yes this is correct. It is to stop strange artificial situations where changing a units formation, into a very long thin line for example, would give it a silly advantage. Performing a post-combat pivot however would allow you to charge and indeed be a scoring unit in the next player turn.
      ETC Salamanca 2017 - Wales - VC (Merc)
      ETC Zagreb 2018 - Wales - VC (Merc)

      Check out T9A's Official Discord server! discord.gg/yeGPwcG Come and hang with us!

      My YouTube channel: youtube.com/channel/UCzANmC2-K…6ASeHA?view_as=subscriber
    • Hi @Memnite,

      I'm currently working on a beginners guide to WDG. It includes a description of monster mash. I hope it will answer your question, even though it's only about WDG. I'll try to work on some general guides for play styles like: monster mash, msu (multible small units), mmu (multible medium sized units), death star build, avoidance etc.

      About rolling 1's... Spit in you fists, shake dice a lot and bang them on table as hard as you can. Really (!), as hard as you can.

      Congaline - a long line of cheap stuff. I've never used the tactic, so I'll let some one more experienced talk about that.

      A quick word on avoidance.
      Sylvan elves is the prime example of a list which can play avoidance. Other armies can do it too. Anyway, it's more or less about avoiding big confrontations. Think of it as guerilla warfare - hit'n run. Fast cavalry will shoot the opponent and often flee when charged, and just continue shooting next turn. Being very maneuverable they can quite easily be placed on the flank of opponents units, and avoid shooting or getting charged. Also fast combats - hard hitting, but often can't hold it's own against a huge infantry unit, so they avoid that - at least in the beginning of a battle. Avoidance is usually not a setup you use, if you want to win big 19-1/20-0, rather small victories - but of course there are exceptions...

      Monster.mash:
      What is it? Monsters being your main the force behind your army. Example: Lord and BSB on manticoras, 2 Elder Dragon Centaurs and 2 Blood beasts - in it self thats easily 1600 pts.

      Saturation is the name of the game. Often two giants is more than twice as good as one giant. Lets say your opponent has a cannon and you have one giant. The cannon will most likely shoot the giant before it reaches the cannon - thus winning an internal battle with 100%. If you bring two, the cannon might shoot one, but then the other will reach the cannon and bash it to pieces, and then start wrecking the backline of your opponent, sometimes earning itself in 2-3 times.

      Be sure to think about how you use your general. You need his leadership bubble to support your monsters. Same with you battle standard bearer. You often see the general mounted on a manticore, which gives your inspiring presence a 18" range (opposed to 12") due to being "large". Especially if you use chimeras with low leadership, you need to think about how you use your general in conjunction with these.

      Monsters are great vs. infantry. The stomp can win fights. Dont expect your monsters to simply win a front charge vs elite infantry though. Get a flank or rear charge with 2 or more monsters. Get in the habbit of calculating possible combat results, and keep in mind that a stomp isn't 3.5 hits. It is 1 hit or 6 hits or something in between. Don't thinks about avarages, but think about the chance to do X wounds, where X is the minimum for you to expect to win the combat.

      Don't hurry. You need to get in combat early - sure. But if you just expose yourself to heavy shooting, it might not be the best approach to rush across the field. Use the terrain. Also - get in combat at the right time - it can protect you from damage... Sounds unintuitive, but remember - cannons can't shoot you if you are in combat. Just remember that you can easily win a combat and afterwards be placed somewhere in front of a gunline.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Gustenpjevs ().

    • Eternal Flitter wrote:

      Sigwar wrote:

      Are we playing it correctly that you can only dispell if you've a (non-fleeing) wizard?
      You can only dispel with that wizard if he/she is not fleeing. Even if you have no wizards at all you can still attempt to dispel a spell.
      Interesting, I would've assumed you did need someone with the wizard tag to actually dispel, good to know you don't.

      On that note just to make sure; the weapon master special rule states models with the rule can choose their load out at the start of each combat round, clear. However what happens when you buy different weapon upgrades for a unit that doesn't have the rule? Can you still choose their weapon of choice as long as they're not in combat? And when they get in combat pick something but stick with it untill either side is killed or flees?

      Nonsensical example: I buy a unit bows, crossbows, spears and great weapons - each turn not in combat I could switch between ranged weaps in shooting phase and when in CC I could choose a weap (great weap, spear or hand weap) but would have to stick with that load out?

      Also my opponent played orcs, they've a special army rule that grants some units 'born to fight' I believe; +1Str in 1st round of combat. Is that just the first round of combat the unit gets in (during the entire game), or any first round of combat if it gets into progressive ones? Based on the wording I would lean towards the 2nd option..

      New to wargaming, should try and watch some more vids, there seem to be plenty out there, so I might not have to ask all these tidbits here..
    • On Weapon master: if a unit doesn't have weapon master you can't choose. Usually it is impossible to buy multiple weapons on units because of the way it's worded in their unit entries. So a unit can only have one close combat weapon aside from their hand weapon. The only thing I can think of is that you can buy a Great weapon and a shield. At range you benefit for the +1 armour from the shield but must use the Great weapon in close combat.

      On born to fight: yes you get in in the first round of every combat, like hatred.

      I think @TableTopBanter - Callum has some beginner videos on his channel.

      @Memnite A conga line is a unit that's stretched out one model wide in order to restrict an enemies movement and/or to reduce incoming damage from combat. Works welwhen the unit is unbreakable.

      ETC Salamanca 2017 - Wales - VC (Merc)
      ETC Zagreb 2018 - Wales - VC (Merc)

      Check out T9A's Official Discord server! discord.gg/yeGPwcG Come and hang with us!

      My YouTube channel: youtube.com/channel/UCzANmC2-K…6ASeHA?view_as=subscriber
    • Reverend Timms wrote:

      I have a stupid question.

      How do ridden monsters work? At the moment I can't fathom if it's worth buying protection for the rider or not.
      They attack as separate minis, but they defend as one, actually they defend as the monster below the character. When getting attacked you only use the monster WS, T, W and saves.

      Could be worth taking the 70 points shield form the rulebook, that says (if I'm not wrong) 5+ ward save for the whole mini, or could be worth taking Magic Resistance as well, but what I often see es the guy on top full offensive (giant sword, divine icon...), but forger about equiping the character with armors, ward saves or regenerations.

      Other people give the character just a great weapon to keep him cheap, as he is only the way to include the monster.
    • Maybe the thread should be called The "There are no stupid questions" thread! Ask anything ? Just a drive by thought. :huh: ^^
      "Turns out, life's a little bit more complicated than a slogan on a bumper sticker. Real life is messy. We all have limitations. We all make mistakes. Which means, hey, glass half full, we all have a lot in common."
    • Skie wrote:

      Reverend Timms wrote:

      I have a stupid question.

      How do ridden monsters work? At the moment I can't fathom if it's worth buying protection for the rider or not.
      They attack as separate minis, but they defend as one, actually they defend as the monster below the character. When getting attacked you only use the monster WS, T, W and saves.
      Could be worth taking the 70 points shield form the rulebook, that says (if I'm not wrong) 5+ ward save for the whole mini, or could be worth taking Magic Resistance as well, but what I often see es the guy on top full offensive (giant sword, divine icon...), but forger about equiping the character with armors, ward saves or regenerations.

      Other people give the character just a great weapon to keep him cheap, as he is only the way to include the monster.
      Ah thank you! That's pretty simple.
    • Eternal Flitter wrote:

      Nice first question!

      In answer there is usually a pairing phase when the teams drawn together determine who will play who. In two man teams generally I've only seen doubles (as in 2v2 on the same board as allies). 3 man team events are rare afaik but 4 and 8 man events are the more common in my experience.

      Here is an example of the procedure as used at this year's ETC (8 man teams)

      Pairings

      Step 1 - “The Opening” (First 2 match-ups)
      • Both Teams simultaneously place 1 army on the table
      • Both Teams simultaneously offer 2 armies for the opponent’s placed army to choose from.
      • Both Teams simultaneously choose which one of the 2 opponent’s offers they want.
      • The army initially placed will fight against the offered army selected (On-Table vs Chosen)
      • Unchosen army is returned to its Team

      Step 2 - “The Second Opening” (Match-ups 3rd and 4th)
      • Develops exactly as Step 1.

      Step 3 - “The Showdown” (All 4 match-ups left)
      • Both Teams simultaneously place 1 army on the table
      • Both Teams simultaneously offer 2 armies for the opponent’s placed army to choose from.
      • At this point each Team has only 1 card in his hand (Started with 4, placed 1, and offered 2)
      • Each team simultaneously chooses which one of the opponent’s 2 offered armies they want to face their initially placed army (Match-ups 5th and 6th). The other army offered by the opponent and not chosen will face the one card left on the Team’s hand. (Last On-Hand vs Last Unchosen, last match-ups)



      In a 4 man event you could simply use just the Step 1 "The Opening" part of this since that way all 4 players would be paired.

      Hopefully that answers your question. 8-)
      after reading this, I finally understand how it works LOL
      Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
    • ForsetisMuse wrote:

      Maybe the thread should be called The "There are no stupid questions" thread! Ask anything ? Just a drive by thought. :huh: ^^
      Thanks good suggestion. It sounded right to me when I wrote it but rereading your suggestion is much better!
      ETC Salamanca 2017 - Wales - VC (Merc)
      ETC Zagreb 2018 - Wales - VC (Merc)

      Check out T9A's Official Discord server! discord.gg/yeGPwcG Come and hang with us!

      My YouTube channel: youtube.com/channel/UCzANmC2-K…6ASeHA?view_as=subscriber
    • Moar stupid questions! :D

      • friendly fire is a nono, but how does it work with templates? Like, can i cast a vortex, that will potentialy hit my units? Can i place the vortex at my feet even if it would be touching my models? Can i place line templates which target ground, so that they also hit my dudes?

      • Spell number 6 of wilderness.... if i cast it on my horse riding dude.... did i just create a dragon riding on top of a horse?
      #freekillerinstinct - Killer Instinct for all Dread Elves!

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Memnite ().

    • Eternal Flitter wrote:

      ForsetisMuse wrote:

      Maybe the thread should be called The "There are no stupid questions" thread! Ask anything ? Just a drive by thought. :huh: ^^
      Thanks good suggestion. It sounded right to me when I wrote it but rereading your suggestion is much better!
      This thread is great and well needed! :thumbup:
      "Turns out, life's a little bit more complicated than a slogan on a bumper sticker. Real life is messy. We all have limitations. We all make mistakes. Which means, hey, glass half full, we all have a lot in common."
    • This might be a repeat question. But I remember in the beta rules that Warmachines could be on either 50mm square or 60mm round bases.

      Has this changed permanently? I was really hoping my artillery would be compatible with Kings of War.
      Also I'm big into modeling, fully painted, intricate bases, etc..., so when my model is done it is done. It isn't coming off the base.