Pinned HE General and News - Discussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Emgies wrote:

WhammeWhamme wrote:

It is literally the job of ACS to come around and explain things to the community.

If you want to personally yell at the designers, sign up for a job for the project. That's the main perk of doing something to help the project, really. ;)

ferny wrote:

@ForsetisMuse @nightwun see last few posts. @Emgies might be a useful recruit :)
    So I am in dubio here. I have possible scenario's here. Maybe @ferny, @WhammeWhamme, @ArchangelusM or @nightwun can help me out.

1. I wait till the hotfix arrives and I yell and rant at the BLT.
    2. I wait till the hotfix arrives and I sign up furiously and yell and rant at the BLT.
    3. I wait till the hotfix arrives and I am that furious I stop playing.
    4. I sign up, wait till the hotfix and yell and rant at BLT. @WhammeWhamme his preference.
    5. I am cool.
    6. I am cool and I sign up.
    7. Dust my EoS/Dogs of war.
    I think @ForsetisMuse has been on leave recently (I believe it was also her birthday). Could someone else from HR pick this up please? @Pinktaco @destroyem @Windelov - have a read through @Emgies recent posts...this sounds like a cry *to* help, perhaps with @nightwun co-ordinating ADTs, with HR facilitating team structures generally, or with @Ney and @Arhain and the ACS teams. I could see emgies potentially being a really good 'connection' person between teams, or helping to keep a team tied together and going forward tightly - could you pick it up by PM please?

I'll respond to your PM tonight after pancakes with my wife (that's not a euphemism guys!). Haven't done yet because it requires more than the usual level of thought and time to make sure I get it right.
    Join us on Ulthuan.net
  • Aegon wrote:

@weltenspringer:

torch upgrade was deemed too powerful and thus removed for game balance.

Pls forgive my sarcasm, but I couldn't resist :D .
    That was sarcasm? Seemed legit...
    Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• Aegon wrote:

@weltenspringer:

torch upgrade was deemed too powerful and thus removed for game balance.

Pls forgive my sarcasm, but I couldn't resist :D .
    Can I blaim BLT for this again?

P.s. my previous post was also super serious, I know it's not only BLT. Haha

Army Design Team Coordinator

Army Design Team

"Great things in business are never done by one person.
    They're done by a team of people."

– Steve Jobs
  • Emgies wrote:

Can I blaim BLT for this again?
    Sadly not, as this change would be the area of RT and ADT.

On the other hand though, you could blame them for the fact that we can't build a proper mob ;) .

So the blame is equaly distributed or in balance if you will :D .
    Furion about our SeaGuard (V.0.202.0): "I don't expect much of them, and indeed not much have they delivered"
  • pk-ng wrote:

So after reading the "hotfixes" for HBE

Yeah this thread is going ran riot!

Lets say lots of nerf (in some cases I see very pointless ones) are over-the-top; whilst some others are understandable and acceptable.
    The "buffs" (point reductions) are general pointless/not useful as I don't see them helping the said units been played more.
    FWIW from what I've seen of the changes to come, and I think we more or less know what to expect from the discussions on here - it's just the details we're waiting on for full public release now. We still need to see those details and I'm sure there will be frustrations...

1. Most of all I mourn the loss of @Calcathin from both the HBE ACS team and also more widely the AvB team. He was a huge driving force behind our book and a lot of positive things we've seen in the project (and many which we don't see).

2. Some of the nerfs sound a) random? and b) unwarranted at this stage - this is where accountability @PapaG refers to is most desired IMO

3. Some of the nerfs reduce build options - there are things I doubt I'll field now as a result - this is quite sad and goes directly against what the team tried to and broadly achieved with the 2.0 update. I recognise that nerfs can open up build space if there is one true build to rule them all, but I don't think this was the case here. In fact, I expressly think this was not the case, unlike 1.3 where two basic builds kept the army afloat. Conversely, I do not expect the buffs to open up build space (buffing something that wasn't used in a way which it still won't be won't achieve this, or so far as I can tell, anything) - but hopefully I'm wrong on my estimation of what we'll get buffed.

4. I'm sure this will result in an external power drop (multiple nerfs to the hereditary alone will do this, though that in itself suggests the hereditary did need toning down). Whether at an army level this is merited is debatable, but most of us acknowledge we had some things which were calling out for an adjustment (and these things we expected to suffer a single or maybe two nerfs to) - namely spear, hereditary and MOCT if I've read the discussions on here correctly. Where pk-ng riots are predicted from, and as I understand it part of why Calc left, is where the nerfs go beyond these things, either by over-nerfing these or nerfing other stuff which wasn't flagged.

5. However - and take this with a pinch of salt because I'm a worse player than everyone I reference here - I agree with DanT and disagree with Aenarion and our team that infantry playstyles are dead as a result. I've been running - and loving - an infantry list since 2.0 hit and doing the best I ever have (possibly an element of the army being strong), and really enjoying it as it finally fits my playstyle. I've got no chariots, no dragons, no phoenixes, no sloops, only a single unit of cavalry (was reavers, now lancer dart) - just three blocks of combat infantry, supported by a detachment of archers, bolters and a squad of skirmishing lions, as well as *combat infantry characters*! I expect that, while some things may change in points and some builds will need to either change or be re-done, the basic premise of this list will carry through the hotfix (albeit at a reduced power level, which presumably is intentional if we're getting hit as hard as is expected). Now caveat - I've been tracking changes which will impact on my list, so YMMV if you're running cav, dragons, griffins, chariots, mages, etc - but I'm hopeful that I'll adapt post hotfix and won't need to brush off my beast herds, saurian or vampires after just a few weeks of playing my new highborns.

Let's see what it brings, and what changes we need to make to adapt to the new environment...
    Join us on Ulthuan.net
  • I've already started dusting off my 6th edition books. From what's being said they're actively trying to alienate the community. The community will give them 2 fingers and move on to happier pastures. That's what I've realised, the methods of those in charge in the name of balance are a 0 sum game, especially when it comes to HBE. They had a fantastic opportunity to look at what made the book so great and apply it to other books, but they chose the cowards way and from whats being said, smashed it to the same, unimaginative, miserable, unsatisfying level as everyone else. I'm out.
  • Calcathin wrote:

The hotfix will deliver HbE:

15 - Cumulative nerfs to the army
    02 - Months (or years) of mourning
    2018 - Angry players

The date of the release seems not to be chosen at random :thumbup:

I dont belive you! Over 2000 HBE players? What nerdtopia are you living in?
    Why not hold elections for key seats? Oh! And direction of the game - that would also be hella cool :)

Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
    Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
    Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

For questions of tactics, The Savage Arts of Playtrolling
  • Ielthan wrote:

I've already started dusting off my 6th edition books. From what's being said they're actively trying to alienate the community. The community will give them 2 fingers and move on to happier pastures. That's what I've realised, the methods of those in charge in the name of balance are a 0 sum game, especially when it comes to HBE. They had a fantastic opportunity to look at what made the book so great and apply it to other books, but they chose the cowards way and from whats being said, smashed it to the same, unimaginative, miserable, unsatisfying level as everyone else. I'm out.
    That's unfortunate and I hope you find your way back to us one day.

Advisory Board

Administrator

Want to help out? The 9th Age is an all volunteer organization and we're always looking for like-minded folks! Message me if you are interested!!
  • Aegon wrote:

@Emgies:

BLT: Responsible for the point costs

RT: Responsible for the actual rules

ADT: Responsible for the design of the army

Just that you know how to channalise your anger (just kidding :D ).

What I want to say is: Don't blame the BLT for everything.

Personally, I will wait for the actual changes and decide after that ;) .
    Also if ever in doubt just blame me.

Ielthan wrote:

I've already started dusting off my 6th edition books.
    This comment I find curious. The team actively attempted to put the power level of books to be equivalent of 6th edition ones and we are still far of from them. :)

Background Team

Conceptual Design

Rules Advisors

THE THRONG OF NEVAZ RIG - ARMY BLOG; UPRISING 2018 - 26/27 May - Singles Tournament
  • Herminard wrote:

Calcathin wrote:

The hotfix will deliver HbE:

15 - Cumulative nerfs to the army
    02 - Months (or years) of mourning
    2018 - Angry players

The date of the release seems not to be chosen at random :thumbup:
    I dont belive you! Over 2000 HBE players? What nerdtopia are you living in?
    I find it quite funny that this is the only thing you are challenging from my post ^^
    Always a Highborn Elf, here or somewhere else
    The HbE Hotfix- My view
  • There's no need for such grandiose dramatic statements of doom. Even if spear, hereditary, honours, banners all get nerfed AND sky sloop, firebird, elite infantry gets a ppm increase there will still be ways to make competitive lists... just requires playing well and fine tweaking.. exactly as its ALWAYS been for high elves. HE have never been an army where you can just deploy and steamroll certain opponents.