Bluffer's helm and its immunity to lethal strike

Hello There!

The project likes to learn from ages past and one lesson T9A team has learnt is to engage the community more. The team had such a tremendous success with ideas for the magic phases and new magic items for Warriors of the dark gods that the Rules Team (RT) has melded together some great global surveys that they want you, the community to help answer in order to get an understanding of what the community really wants.

Now it's worth saying right here that the surveys are not binding to the future of the game, but give instead the T9A team a incredible insight into the path they need to take.

Up first is a survey on what to do with magic items with some very simple questions and statements for you all to answer, so please, take the jump and answer away, and when you finish, spread the word, we need to actively engage as much of the community as we can.

So what you waiting for, go go go!

Start the survey here!

• IMO it's not that easy to calculate the point costs by comparing current version to the proposal.

In fact the items currently is only used by T5+ characters who benefit hugely against S3/S4 attacks. IMO for them (and only for them!!!) the items is worth its current points. For T4- the item currently is completely overcosted and not worth it.
      The protection against S3 would be completely gone for T5+.

So the items needs a point reduction.
      IMO 45 is too low while 70-75 could be to high. 60 could be the way to go.

Rules Support

SE Community Support

Local Moderator

• I like what's happening here.
      Would be nice to have "new" items, as I've played humans forever and never used Bluffers Helm.
      It's just a waste of points on T4, why bother, just go for 1+ armor and 4+ ward or armor reroll instead. With -1 to wound I might try it out, but reroll to wound is pointless, every strong opponent wounds you on 2+ and rerolling that isn't gonna help. All weak attacks stop against armor and/or ward anyway so, again, useless.
      Hall of Heroes :
      8/2014 : Grandmaster slays a Chaos Lord in single combat
      ?/2016 : Imperial Captain slaugters a High Elf combat Lord in single combat
      Who's next?
    • @DJWoodelf your proposal seems to have traction and support, as it addresses the main problem very elegantly and turns the item into something equally usable by mostly any character.

This current version is the kind of item that may make non-pro players turn away from the game when they face a guy that they can't just touch. An even experienced players struggle with it. Your idea on how to fix it and turn it into an item usable by everyone is really really good.

What does it need to be done to make this change happen? Sign me in!
    • Calcathin wrote:

@DJWoodelf your proposal seems to have traction and support, as it addresses the main problem very elegantly and turns the item into something equally usable by mostly any character.

This current version is the kind of item that may make non-pro players turn away from the game when they face a guy that they can't just touch. An even experienced players struggle with it. Your idea on how to fix it and turn it into an item usable by everyone is really really good.

What does it need to be done to make this change happen? Sign me in!
      exactly.
      Who had really fun to play against a hero mash.
      3-4 characters with 1+AS T5, some with ward, some with rerolls, one with bluffers helm, M8-10 swiftstride

I had to play against such a WdG army on my last tournament.
      Definetely not why I play this game.
      And it let me to create a homebrew ruleset for "epic battle mode".
      I will only create lists with these restrictions....even if I will lose more than before. ;)

Rules Support

SE Community Support

Local Moderator

• @fjugin please have a look at @DJWoodelf suggestion for Bluffer's helm. There is strong believe that the item is broken for T5 1+AS models

DJWoodelf wrote:

make it -1 to-wound instead reroll to-wound and cheaper

___-1___reroll
      6+ 17% 3%
      5+ 17% 11%
      4+ 33% 25%
      3+ 50% 44%
      2+ 66% 69%

DJWoodelf wrote:

IMO it's not that easy to calculate the point costs by comparing current version to the proposal.

In fact the items currently is only used by T5+ characters who benefit hugely against S3/S4 attacks. IMO for them (and only for them!!!) the items is worth its current points. For T4- the item currently is completely overcosted and not worth it.
      The protection against S3 would be completely gone for T5+.

So the items needs a point reduction.
      IMO 45 is too low while 70-75 could be to high. 60 could be the way to go.
    • This item is broken. Our WotDG player says for him, it is an absolut auto-include.

For myself, a elk Lord with bluffers and 4++ is also the best thing to play. But i dont like this abuse of rules and background; you make a whole army useless with one char with bluffers. Every new player barf at the rules and will be introduced into: Herohammer

Everything with T-5 must use it, or everyone other on a tournament knew: Is this guy playing serious?

So remade (much weaker) or remove.
    • I just compared the bluffers helmet with the glittering cuirass which costs 60 points.

-1 to wound is the same effect as -1 to hit, but the helmet also works against shooting and magic so better especially for characters not joining a unit.
      A helmet is similar to heavy armour.
      Heavy armour is AS5+ BUT a helmet can be used on top of the armour.
      So characters with access to heavy or even plate armour rather take a helmet.

With that in mind I would correct my estimation from 60 to 70 points.

Rules Support

SE Community Support

Local Moderator