Pinned Important News! Freezing the Rules!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Important News! Freezing the Rules!

Dear community,

After the hectic period between V1.0 and V1.3 we understand that many of you want to have a period of stability to play the game, and build new armies.
    Therefor we are going to freeze the rules until the release of Version 2.0.

We have 3 simple reasons for this:
    1. This gives everyone in the community a change to catch up, and play the game for a longer stable period than the last 6 months.
    2. It also gives our design teams the time to work on version 2.0 and the new army books without distraction.
    3. The rules are stable for a number of large tournaments so people can prepare.

This means:

No changes in the current full basic rule book until at the earliest the month of August.
    No changes in the current army books until at the earliest the month of August.
    No changes to the magic paths until at the earliest the month of August.

What can happen in the meantime is:

1. We release beta tests of certain rules we want the community to test before the release of version 2.0.
    2. Additional background and art material.
    3. We release compendium material for the game.
    4. If a pressing problem is found with a rule it might be handled by a FAQ/Errata.
    Please realize that these are possibilities, not promises.
    We hope as the 9th Age staff that this period of rest will be well received by the community.
    Please give your feedback and results of your games in 1.3 on the forum, we are slowly reaching the point where we will freeze the game for an even longer period of time, and the ACS members of your army forums are gathering your feedback in combination with the members of the data team to help the designers improve the game even further.

I have opened this topic here for you ask your questions about the freeze for us to answer!

You can watch this video for more information:

Executive Board

Head of the Campaign Team

Head of PR

Bunch of different teams

Blonde Beer is currently on vacation. It might take my a while to reply when tagged or pmd...
  • Madsvg wrote:

Is there a timeframe for when 2.0 is thought to be ready, or is it to early to say?
    It's being hammered out as we speak.

Madsvg wrote:

Like, do you have a plan for getting 2.0 ready for april for instance?
    As above, but I can already tell you that April is unrealistic - it will take longer than that.

Anomanderake wrote:

what about April updates?
    For the BRB, there will be no updates (but perhaps a FAQ if needed).
  • blonde beer wrote:

No changes in the current full basic rule book until after the ETC.

No changes in the current army books [b]until after the ETC.
    No changes to the magic paths [b]until after the ETC. [/b]
    Sorry, I don't know when is the ETC. For the players who don't follow the competitive scene, can you refer to calendar dates rather than timing relative to a competition?
  • I try to keep exact dates out of it, because we will need time to analyze the results of the ETC and ESC as well. But in simple terms not before august. I hope that helps

Executive Board

Head of the Campaign Team

Head of PR

Bunch of different teams

Blonde Beer is currently on vacation. It might take my a while to reply when tagged or pmd...
  • As a marketing communications professional I can't even begin to tell you how terrible an idea this is.
    What is your objective with this decision? To provide the people who are playing your game with a stable rule set? To attempt to provide a stable rule set to people who aren't playing your game Because the rules aren't stable? I can say with complete confidence that both of those objectives are wrongheaded.
    The people currently playing your game are not off-put by the pace of change. In fact, I daresay, its what keeps many of them interested, engaged, and producing new data sets for development. By freezing the rules you are, in effect, alienating this highly-engaged CORE audience.
    The people who aren't playing your game, because the rules are not yet stable, will still not be playing your game because you've already told them the rules will be changed again in 8-10 months. Why go to the trouble of learning the rules, books, and nuances of a game that is still in flux, if that is your objection to begin with. Especially when its clear you will only to have to learn things again down the road... Particularly when you already know how to play 8th edition or AoS, or KoW.
    It's just misstep after misstep with you guys and I frankly don't understand it. Why not freeze the game with 1.1 when most people were pretty pleased with the product? (Cite legal reasons - ok) But that still doesn't change the fact that you've instead frozen the game at what is universally considered the worst iteration in memory.
    What incentive do I have as a non-etc participant to continue to support the game over the next few months?
    Do you not value the attention of your audience? The data we provide, the feedback, the engagement on these forums? Attention is a fleeting thing and there are a lot of other options out there.
    I just don't understand why you would cut the community out of the iterative process when you fostered a community based on that process. It's so backwards I just can't even begin to understand it.
    Peace.
    8=D
    @Dan 's Roomate
    Epic Poster
    8,000th and 9,000th forum member

The post was edited 1 time, last by Omarcomin ().

• setrius wrote:

This means release of the new army books on 1 May is legal material for ETC?
    It means those books aren't being released until after the ETC. NOTHING new from now till august.

The scarier implication is based on There is no spoons comments, it's likely going to take a year+ for book reworks, so we are now looking at something like 4 years for all the armies to get updated. Not exactly what I would consider hitting a stable version quickly.
    “You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.” -Lan Mandragoran, EotW

UD Army Community Support

Playtester

Supreme Death Cult Hierarch

Dovie’andi se tovya sagain.
  • There is tremendous value in rules updates. They are touch points with your community but as they are continuously mishandled I guess you feel you're damned if you do and damned if you don't? I just don't get this at all. Part of the joy of 9th age was participating in the process but you've slowly but surely eroded any and all opportunity for anyone without a red badge to do that. Just when I think you're starting to get it right you put a foot wrong again. It's very disappointing.
    8=D
    @Dan 's Roomate
    Epic Poster
    8,000th and 9,000th forum member
  • Omarcomin wrote:

There is tremendous value in rules updates. They are touch points with your community but as they are continuously mishandled I guess you feel you're damned if you do and damned if you don't? I just don't get this at all. Part of the joy of 9th age was participating in the process but you've slowly but surely eroded any and all opportunity for anyone without a red badge to do that. Just when I think you're starting to get it right you put a foot wrong again. It's very disappointing.
    Wasn't there a huge amount of backlash due to people not knowing if their units were going to be usable?

We are working on the full rulebook that we intend to use for several years. We are working on the books. There is a lot to do, and everyone is working hard on everything that they can.

The announcement of the freeze doesn't change anything. It says "Hey, you don't have to worry about a sudden rule change invalidating your army next week. We'll let you know when things are going to be adjusted, if they are going to be adjusted. In the meantime, have fun playing!"
  • nicreap wrote:

setrius wrote:

This means release of the new army books on 1 May is legal material for ETC?
    It means those books aren't being released until after the ETC. NOTHING new from now till august
    I'm confused... ?( ETC is in August and the release of DE, ID, DL and WDG is supposed to be on 1st of May. That means this release are not legal in ETC

That is all

The post was edited 1 time, last by setrius ().

• Short explanation: We want to get the best possible version of 2.0 out as soon as possible, and the current schedule of updates draws a lot of man-hours (16 books!) that could be spent on the end goal. It's widely acknowledged that frequent updates undermine collected data and overall stability - which is high demand from players around the world.

Disappointing perhaps, but very much based on logic and available resources.
  • lawgnome wrote:

"Hey, you don't have to worry about a sudden rule change invalidating your army next week. We'll let you know when things are going to be adjusted, if they are going to be adjusted. In the meantime, have fun playing!"
    Fair enough :) allthough, as @Omarcomin is saying, you will lose some of the active members in here

Kpl.blutch wrote:

Question -> Is it still the plan, with 4 new books around 1. of may ?
    ? ? ?

Christoffer
    Banned for posting memes - twice :D

Herminard wrote:

*nerfs are so 2016
  • Kpl.blutch wrote:

Fair enough allthough, as @Omarcomin is saying, you will lose some of the active members in here
    I'm not really sure why. Like I said, the freeze is just saying that there is not going to be an update soon, so you have plenty of time to build, paint, and play without worrying about your army list being invalidated.

We are still working on building v2.0. That isn't going to change, with or without the freeze.
  • Also where possible we plan to include the wider community in the work that is going to be happening in the next 8-10 months for those who are willing to help out hammer and fine tune certain aspects of the game we will be seeking input on :)

Background Team

Conceptual Design

Rules Advisors

The Saucy Quill Inn - First Batch of info from the Survey - 1886/95