downloadable printable paper armies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• After posing the original question , i started snooping around online , and was surprised at what i found on paper minis . there is a ton of stuff out there , Paper 40k is apparently a big thing or if not "big" a real and flourishing community . I came across one guy that had a tutorial on how to make paper minis and he went so far as to base them , they looked really good . some paper minis are simple 2d tiles , others are what they call 2.5 d , meaning they are flat but standing on a base , and others are true 3d .

in a nut shell there seems to be a wide range in quality . but there is a group of ppl that take it quite seriously , and they produce some cool stuff , and there can be some serious modeling skills involved .

when i originally posted i had the notion that it would help get ppl involved , i doubt tournaments would allow papers , but some allowed toy pony armies back in 8th so who knows . If you think about introducing kids to the hobby , i think papers would be great . they could get started playing , and learn some modeling skills like basing cheap .

we have quite a few really good artists in T9A community , if a few of them got together and made up some high quality paper mini downloads , and maybe include some tutorials on basing and other modeling skills it would go along way to keeping the quality and look of the paper minis to a high standard .

The other use would be for the army book committees when they are thinking of a new unit that may not have a readily available model for the unit they are thinking about , They could pop up some paper mini versions for people to try out and give them feed back on , (I am looking at you GGI) .
    Along the same lines for the play testing of units in general . to get maximum feedback from more players who may not have access to a real 3d model for that unit . if people don't have a model or enough of a model to play and try out you will get less feedback , or feedback that is heavily weighted to those that have a model . I am thinking here about not only models that are not available but models that were / are rare or expensive .
  • For the game, it matters not if you play it with actual models that are painted, models that or fresh out of the box, or papers cut to the size of a unit's footprint and named appropriately.... This not only goes for the armies, but also for terrain and the board the game is played on.

For the hobby, models that are painted and played with on a nicely designed table with good looking terrain is a must.

But before new people get into the hobby fully, they need to know if they enjoy the game... without friends to borrow armies from, paper cut-outs are an excellent proxy. I think most people used them in their starter years... I know I did with my friends, when we were kids and short on money to purchase whole armies!
  • ikken wrote:

thanks for the link those are great I had not thought about 2d tiles . I was thinking 3d pop ups like these : dropbox.com/s/vocxpcxhc48o6uv/amazon_archer_command.pdf?dl=0 .
    Hey there - new user here. I collect, build and use paper minis (solely) for gaming purposes - having long ago decided that painting miniatures was never going to be my strong point!!! Plus if you get them on PDF, you can adjust the print size and do away with "scale creep"!!!

@ikken - how did you come across those amazon archer minis? Do you know if the artist has done any more - as I love them!!! I tried googling the user name that came up on dropbox to no avail.....
  • migibb wrote:

@ikken - how did you come across those amazon archer minis? Do you know if the artist has done any more - as I love them!!! I tried googling the user name that came up on dropbox to no avail.....
    Check here: Amazons - (Homebrew Faction) ;)
    T9A vacations on going. Not available on the forum.
    For any admin matter, please contact @tiny or @Grimbold Blackhammer.
    For any matter related to French translation, please contact @_Gg (Groumbahk).
    For any matter related to magic cards, please wait until I'm back. They're finally done! See the Beta Rules tab or Professionally printed Magic cards
  • ikken wrote:

The paper models would act as a bridge for them getting into the hobby .
    Exactly. I consider them a great way to get a whole army ready for battle in no time (compared to 3D minis) - the units can then slowly be replaced by 3D minis when the budget and painting time allows it. So I consider them as cheap and effective placeholders. Also, I'd rather face a wholly coloured 2D army than an unpainted 3D army !!

migibb wrote:

how did you come across those amazon archer minis? Do you know if the artist has done any more - as I love them!!!
    Happy you like them, I'm currently drawing the last core unit of the amazon army book - homebrew faction (see my signature for the link). My idea is to draw the full army as it's quite hard to find 3D models for them !

As for our best artists, I think they are largely busy with the army book arts for the time being...
  • I've been making my own paper proxies. I find an image I like on the internet to represent the model I want, load it in gimp, resize it to the proper printer size, and then use the filter -> map -> tile option to make 100 of them. I then cut them out and glue them to cardboard.

But I only play with my friends outside of a game shop. If you play in a game shop, you should support the game shop by buying models there. Gamestore owners are poor servants of the community, and their business models depend on you buying overpriced plastic and cardboard.

There is nothing wrong with using paper minis. Not everyone can afford warhammer armies. Not everyone is interested in modeling and painting. If you're competitive, it's a real advantage to be able to play with all the armies. Not many can afford buying 5000+ points of every army. There's really no benefit to telling others they shouldn't have fun the way they have fun.
  • THREADOMANCY

wargamevault.com/product/131347/Elven-Chariot-Squadrons

There is a tone of these out there for those interested.

Paper minis is a great way to intro, test, list practice, etc...

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Printers should be good enough. Not sure it is cheaper to get the printer and materials than it is to buy the models.

Also, you need to find files to print models from or create your own... not sure the first is always free and if the latter is easy.

It would be cool for designing your own models and unit fillers though! Perhaps look into 3D printer shops (they must exsist I think) so you do not have to buy a printer.
  • flammy` wrote:

What about 3d printed models? Can this be done, or are 3d printers still too lackluster to print decent models?
    3D printers can do this, currently not below costs of simply buying miniatures.

And that is before you factor in other issues the technology has: speed, quality/cost-ratio and machines. It is cheap enough to try if you have extra cash you don't need. A home printer currently available will print you one 2 armies at best before the hardware fails. Add design, time, material and power costs.
    "Cheap prints" is very relative, you need to design the miniatures or someone else does, that person needs to be paid. Think of it as a good-speed-costs problem, you can only have 2 of those attributes in a positive way.

From all the research I did, I do want it, but I want a machine that works, not another tech project. That adds costs and when you then look at size and quality needed ... I think the technology is only good for rapid prototyping right now. The question I ask myself: is it worth the investment? Since I want it for rapid prototyping, for me probably yes, but still I see too many issues to have one running at home.
    You might argue that learning the tech now gives you an advantage for when it does get good enough. It does not work that way. Besides technical solutions needed for hardware, your user interaction is software and the software of tomorrow is not the software of today. You buy these machines for a service solution you need, and that is how you compare them to existing technology.
  • JordanBladen wrote:

PLease no, as a system we get laughed at enough for model representation. Using paper will be a new low.

Just phys rep if needed but dont use paper models
    you're totally missing the point.

First of all - I've seen really pretty paper armies at wargames conventions (swedes vs russians in the 1700's - the name of the conflict escapes me)

Second of all - this allows a cheap entry. 12 year old kod unable to buy 100$ of minis? Heres 20$ of pdf's - go nuts.

Third of all - not everywhere has easy access to the market. @Ghiznuk is doing great work playing in west Africa without traditional minis.

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• JordanBladen wrote:

PLease no, as a system we get laughed at enough for model representation. Using paper will be a new low.

Just phys rep if needed but dont use paper models
    While I agree with your sentiment towards paper models, I do not know what you're talking about when you say the system "gets laughed at enough for model representation."

I'd say that's one of the stronger strengths of the system. All old warhammer fantasy players I've told about t9a have really hooked on to the whole using whatever models you want in an official fashion.
  • There was a large outcry when pictures of ETC models being used ie a pelican toy and tuna can were used to represent a HBE model.

There were pictures of people using paper printed models this week as practice in an Aos game as someones models had not turned up in time.

This then turned into a 'are you playing T9A?' meme tweet.

Different models are a strength and weakness.

Whilst not having to use one single supplier and producer of models has opened up alot of options for people its also allowed people to become lazy and leads to poor looking armies with models used for things that dont look anyhting like they should.

You get a shrug and a '9th age' response.
  • JordanBladen wrote:

There was a large outcry when pictures of ETC models being used ie a pelican toy and tuna can were used to represent a HBE model.

There were pictures of people using paper printed models this week as practice in an Aos game as someones models had not turned up in time.

Whilst not having to use one single supplier and producer of models has opened up alot of options for people its also allowed people to become lazy and leads to poor looking armies with models used for things that dont look anyhting like they should.

You know, this kind of hypocritical BS makes me hate the wargaming community in general and the GW fanboys in specific.

I spend time putting together my army using a combination of painted models and toys to create a unique army that I am really happy with? I get mocked.

Someone puts together a printed army so that they can try it out and see if they like it, thus lowering the barrier to entry and getting more people into the game? Made fun of and told that they are everything wrong with T9A.

Someone buys a prebuilt, prepainted army off of Ebay, putting in absolutely no time or effort in the actual creation of the army? "Oh, what a beautiful army. I can't wait to play against that!"

This kind of stuff is the reason I only play with a couple of friends anymore, and don't branch out to playing with many new people. This particular branch of the community makes me wish I wasn't a part of the community.
  • JordanBladen wrote:

There was a large outcry when pictures of ETC models being used ie a pelican toy and tuna can were used to represent a HBE model.

oh heaven forbid someone get uppity and arrogant over who has the higher class TOY SOLDIERS.

Look at my signature.

Its a bloody game of toy soldiers.

What kind of sad pathetic person mocks another grown adult for using the "wrong" *toy soldiers* in a game of... *toy soldiers*.

Im sorry, but everytime i see people get arrogantly high and mighty about how *their* game of toy soldiers is better than my game of *toy soldiers* i just laugh.

How pathetic do you have to be to bully people about toy soldiers.

The vast - VAST majority of t9a armies have become massively creative works of art, but all the sad snobs in the world latch onto the one person who makes a weird/irregular army. It may not be your deal, as a TO you may not agree, but just to spite the snobs I would gladly pitch up with a tuna can dreadmill - just to prove my point.

So long as I dont get confused about what is what in your army, and the bases match, then do what you feel like.

I saw a facebook post about a teenage girl who played a LOTR tournament using nothing but frozen models she hand scultped and converted. It was amazing. I would 100% welcome her as a fellow t9a gamer. Id want that in the scroll full of how to articles.

Christ, GW raised me on making a skimmer from a bloody deoderant dispenser in their rulebook! But a tuna can is where the line gets drawn... Ok. Sure.

Anyone who thinks its cool to be a hobby snob about a game of *toy soldiers* needs to realize just how sad and pathetic that is. Like - grow up people.

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

- Grouchy Badger