Quo vadis 9th age? Part 2

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hello There!

The project likes to learn from ages past and one lesson T9A team has learnt is to engage the community more. The team had such a tremendous success with ideas for the magic phases and new magic items for Warriors of the dark gods that the Rules Team (RT) has melded together some great global surveys that they want you, the community to help answer in order to get an understanding of what the community really wants.

Now it's worth saying right here that the surveys are not binding to the future of the game, but give instead the T9A team a incredible insight into the path they need to take.

Up first is a survey on what to do with magic items with some very simple questions and statements for you all to answer, so please, take the jump and answer away, and when you finish, spread the word, we need to actively engage as much of the community as we can.

So what you waiting for, go go go!

Start the survey here!

• DarkSky wrote:

How to develop a beginner friendly game?
    I do not believe reducing complexity to 4 A4 format is even possible... Isle of Blood was a good try by Games Workshop. But it was stand-alone game with set of models, something T9A will never be able to provide. I think future of T9A lies not with engaging completely new people to the hobby but rather with seducing wargamers from other systems. And it is not complexity of rules that prevents them from giving T9A a try but rather a size of collection needed to fully experience the game. That is why I would rather concentrate on warband rules and making it fully developed game as complex as the 'main size'... with less models but rather in smaller units then in less units.
  • Any game that is distributed in the form of multiple source books is going to struggle with approachability. Tabletop war gamers and role players are already used to this sort of thing, but other gamers seldom are.

There are things that can be done to make a game more approachable. The mechanics of the game (move models, roll dice, compare numbers) are not intrinsically difficult. The threshold is elevated by having to learn all of the rules and make complex value judgments (i.e. during list building, deployment) in advance, which is why I call this game front-loaded. New players are literally thrown into the deep end from the start, and that is a barrier to entry. Perhaps not moreso than in hard-core board games like Twighlight Imperium or Axis & Allies 1940 Global, but there it is.

Here are a few specific things off the top of my head that will help reduce the front-loading:
    • Streamline the rules for a Starter Edition. Check!
    • Publish pre-made and pre-balanced starter lists for each faction, with lower model counts.
      • I'm not sure that this is currently planned for the Starter Edition, but I hope so. I personally think this would have an even bigger impact on approachability than streamlining the rules themselves.
    • Publish (or get links for) papercraft miniatures that [lexicon]cover[/lexicon] all the [lexicon]unit[/lexicon] entries in those starter lists.
      • The Hobby (both in terms of price and time) is undeniably another element to T9A's front-loading. Games like Frostgrave or Age of Sigmar can get around this somewhat by encouraging you to play with whatever odd miniatures you already have on hand, but that won't work for us. We need lots of miniatures with uniform sizes and equipment. The fastest and cheapest way to get these is to just literally print them out.
    @DarkSky is right to question whether even all that would be enough to really break into the mainstream. We might want to keep an eye on games like Runewars Miniatures Game from Fantasy Flight. 90 minute play, mass-market board game box and retail shelf space, presumably a thin manual... I'm already wondering if Runewars might have some ideas that we may wish to adapt for our own Starter Edition.
  • Ulricpriest wrote:

Quo vadis 2

The complexity of the game.

To keep this game going it is absolutely mandatory to get new people interested in the hobby. I suggest to have some sort of campaign going to recruit new players. However, despite claims to the contrary, I think 9th age is even more difficult and not appealing to newbies than Warhammer ever was. I hope the community can come up with some solutions to the following problems:

Making lists

Bases/base size

Movement bases

Unit description/distinction

Alternative miniatures

Keeping track of rule changes

Magic
    A few comments:

Making Lists: I have used a spreadsheet for every points game I have played. T9A is the biggest pain so far. Doesn't bother me, making lists is fun, and gives me something to do at work. ;)

Base/base size: This is annoying, but I've adapted. I've made my own bases by using cardstock to put two smaller ones together and filled in with terrain material. Again, it's fun, so I don't mind it.

Movement bases: I probably have an advantage here because I have access to a 3d printer and have made some pretty spiffy skirmish bases, as well as versions of the old movement tray pieces. Again, I'm a hobbyist, I've adapted, and it's an enjoyable challenge.

Unit Description: Not really a thing for my armies, but I totally get the SA problem. Which one is the triceratops again? When books with art come out it will help.

Alternative Miniatures: I hate to proxy, but where am I supposed to get orcs with crossbows? Also, for previous games most of my common orcs had paired weapons. Now I want spears, bows and shields. I don't want to go back and modify all my old orcs, some were made by my son when he was a kid and have sentimental value. Luckily, at least in my group we all have the same issue and no one is an jerk about it. I hope that is true elsewhere.

Keeping track of rule changes: As long as they seem to be changes for the better, I'm fine with this. 1.2 I didn't like, 1.3 is great.

Magic: I'd prefer 300 spells, but that's just me.

I play T9A because I have thousands of dollars worth of models and I like moving big blocks around in deliciously complicated battles. I think there are people who like me who haven't discovered it yet would like the same thing. Dumbing it down would be the worst choice of all-- losing the current players with no guarantee of attracting new ones. A starter "set" is a fine idea, though.

O&G Community Support

My cats are Unruly.

The post was edited 1 time, last by beerbeard ().

• If you want to have 9TA more approachable rulessets arnt even the one issue.

What you need is community bloglike input. Have a weekly collum of players from all factions make a little write up for their lists and intended design.

9TA is a community based project. Put the community in the light. MtG had and GW are now finally doing this succesful. 9TA needs this.