A 9th Age for WH40K?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Wondering how the new magic phase feels like? Try it yourself! The Behind The Scenes blog gives you enough to playtest it, including spells of four paths of magic, all hereditary spells and the Dwarven runes!

• I don't play 40K but I've noticed the traffic on my local game store page has become a bit light lately. I assumed the players had found either a new place to play or a better way to organize themselves but perhaps it is anecdotal evidence supporting you're observations. Interesting. Sad, but interesting.

To answer your question, we have no plans to tackle a sci-fi based game. We are still in the fairly early stages of this one and our workload just for this is much too high to consider an expansion. Any interest in trading in your drop pods & rail guns in for some horses and fireballs? :)

Advisory Board

• Afaik the background will advance, but not in the same way as what happened with the old world.

I would love a Aostification of 40k rulewise. 40k would great with it. It's not that the same as what happened with Warhammer.. going from ranked to skirmish.

AoS seems to doing very well since Sylvaneth, Generals handbook... the Tzeentch release is great.

The background is for 40k everything. A 9th Age 40k clone without the background would be soulless. Remember that a 9th Age 40k should have to rename everything and change even more than what 1.2 did compared with 1.1 or Warhammer 8th.

Also, rule wise if you don't care for the background there is Warpath and GoA.
    Certainly GoA has nice rules.

It is said that GW themself aren't happy with 7th ed. 40k, thus an improvement is certainly possible with 8th.

To finish, while GW doesn't really care for 9th Age. They will go after anyone who tries to pull of a 9th Age 40k clone as 40k is there golden goose.
  • That is funny. Me and my gaming group first played WH40K and then came to fantasy. Back in the old days we didnt care about bad rules and balancing; the fluff and background was everything. But when we grow older, it shows, that balancing is more importend now and fair rules become more and more important to our competetive gaming group.

So we discussed a few month ago, if anyone from the 9th age team would like TO BALANCE WH40K. Leave the fluff as it is, because this one is great, but balance the rules. If this would happen, iam shure, my group would go back and play also 40K, because the background is awesome.

I would just ask for the future to balance the and optimize the rules.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Inquisitor Zorn ().

• Inquisitor Zorn wrote:

So we discussed a few month ago, if anyone from the 9th age team would like TO BALANCE WH40K. Leave the fluff as it is, because this one is great, but balance the rules. If this would happen, iam shure, my group would go back and play also 40K, because the background is awesome.

Vazalaar wrote:

To finish, while GW doesn't really care for 9th Age. They will go after anyone who tries to pull of a 9th Age 40k clone as 40k is there golden goose.
    GW won't let anyone get away with that. They will sue and, if the fluff isn't changed, they will probably win.
    Never argue with Idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • tirnaog wrote:

Morning,

It seems likes WH40K is going the way of WHFB.
    I was just wondering if ye lot might be thinking of doing the same thing ye have done for WHFB, for WH40K?
    Or is it out there already and I just dont know about it :).

Thanks

Even if there was a desire from the project leaders to do it (there is none), they don't have the right people (and enough people) to do T9A 40K. Don't forget that T9A didn't came out of nothing when AoS was released : this project is the sucessor of Swedish Comp.
    So regarding T9A 40K, we have to wait for GW to screw up with 40K, then skilled people have to come there to form a second Rules Team and then maybe something can be organized... until then nothing is stopping you to try to propose to start something in the homebrew forum.
    " Des chercheurs qui cherchent, on en trouve. Des chercheurs qui trouvent, on en cherche " Charles de Gaulle
    " Si l'on bâtissait la maison du bonheur, la plus grande pièce en serait la salle d'attente " Jules Renard
    " Plus j'aime l'humanité en général, moins j'aime les gens en particulier " Fedor Dostoïevski
    " Only in the darkness can you see the stars " Martin Luther King Jr
  • There is already few out there. :)

One Page 40K

In the Emperors Name

edit. And my favorite Fast and Dirty, which isn't 40K but highly customizable so players can create armies which they fancy.
    My Painting League thread for 2017

"I heard a television interviewer once suggest that the use of dice made battlegaming on par with Snakes and Ladders and such like games of change. Well, he was being just stupid, or trying to take a rise out of his guest. It is in fact the imponderable which does give reality to 'Battle' and, as we shall see, does cause the players to make proper allowance for the unlikely or even seemingly impossible, which, as we read, did happen surprisingly frequently in the annals of war."
    -Charles Grant
  • tirnaog wrote:

Morning,

It seems likes WH40K is going the way of WHFB.
    I was just wondering if ye lot might be thinking of doing the same thing ye have done for WHFB, for WH40K?
    Or is it out there already and I just dont know about it :).

Thanks
    !) We like existing and having money, so we aren't likely to do anything with the 40k ip or races. Besides, we are still busy with T9A 2.0... that is projected to take around 2 more years, at which point 40k will solidly be in 8th edition.

2) 40K will not be killed off. Unlike Fantasy was back in the End Times, 40K is still super popular and a cash cow, GW's primary product in fact. To remove it would be company suicide. Personally, I feel like they will pull a different tactic, with the Emperor dying (yes), but then that triggers all of his fragmented shards to re-unify within the Warp, at which point he just starts laying waste to Chaos, and seals the Eye of Terror from the inside.

This leaves the setting to evolve from that point, with the humans still having inter-planetary transport due to their alliance with the Eldar (and thus web-way travel, like the Emperor wanted before Magnus goofed), and the forces of chaos held mostly in check by the newest Chaos God, the Anathema, Emperor of Man. I also expect Magnus to come back to the Empire (or at least to assist the Emperor against Tzeench), since he honestly is a good person, but that's getting out there as far as theories go. :P
  • I would not be surprised to see GW learning lessons from 8th=>AoS triggering T9A, and taking the best from AoS and T9A as inspiration for next 40k.

WH is the source of inspiration for WH40k and for T9A, no reason why T9A could not inspire an evolution of WH40k.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • Sir_Sully wrote:

Inquisitor Zorn wrote:

Vazalaar wrote:

GW won't let anyone get away with that. They will sue and, if the fluff isn't changed, they will probably win.
    Not if it was done as a "house rules" project to rebalance 40k, since the rulebooks specifically allow and even encourage house rules. It could even stop at the 40k equivalent of where T9A was with 1.1, as it would not be a different product, just a collection of house rules for WH40k.
  • CariadocThorne wrote:

It could even stop at the 40k equivalent of where T9A was with 1.1, as it would not be a different product,
    This is a breach of IP. Only GW have the right to provide licenses for the sale and / or distribution of Warhammer 40K products. By creating and distributing a 40K product without permission, you are in breach of copyright.

Why did the team massively change plans and rush out a release? With big changes to army composition and magic paths, despite the ideals of slow changes to aid balance? And adding T9A fluff so we don't rely on GW fluff? Have a think about it. Personally, I would be surprised if a Cease and Desist letter was not being written in Nottingham prior to the 1.2 release.

If you made it as official as T9A was at 1.1, GW would have every right to take you down. You are using their fluff, without their permission, which could potentially damage their reputation and sales. After all if everyone is using your 40K rules for free, no one would buy GW's 40K rules....
    Never argue with Idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.