Another Rules Update? Seriously??

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

  • Until August is only some months.

    I really enjoy this game, but get tired of the constant rule changes. It makes me feel like I should just hang it up and play another game for a couple years until it settles.

    I can only speak for myself, but I enjoyed to pace that WHFB used to move at, where I had time to collect and paint a few units a year. Now it seems like it's on steroid and things change after getting to play 5-10 games..
    :VC: The covenant shall bind you... :beer:
  • Darkvoice wrote:

    Until August is only some months.

    I really enjoy this game, but get tired of the constant rule changes. It makes me feel like I should just hang it up and play another game for a couple years until it settles.

    I can only speak for myself, but I enjoyed to pace that WHFB used to move at, where I had time to collect and paint a few units a year. Now it seems like it's on steroid and things change after getting to play 5-10 games..

    As people are saying, this has been heard. There are still two planned significant changes (2.0 and 2.1 to catch the bugs in 2.0), but after that it should only be individual books being changed.

    So I suggest you play with 1.3, ignore 2.0 when it hits (it shouldn't be out for too long), and then learn 2.1 as the last version of T9A you'll need to learn for 4+ years.

    That's not so bad, is it? One more change you'll have to learn and then you're done?
  • @yrtomin @Eru Yes, this was a knee-jerk response.
    No, I didn't see the news because I only came on the site to grab the rules for a game we were about to play.
    No, I don't usually look at the news because it seems it's mostly just BlondBeer or SkaveninAZ or someone's battle reports or some such (as opposed to news about the game), and considering the window size I use for browsing forums the news tab is rarely even on my screen (and I have mentioned this in the Website Help forum, and think it should be the default home tab..and I do see it there now).

    I'm sure the staffers here are very committed and probably play often and seriously, (and thank you for that committment). I'm sure there are people like me as well, who manage to find some time to play once or twice a month (or not at all), and don't spend all their time reading the forums (though I try to when I have some time).

    I'm painfully aware that I've become a whingeing moaner, the type I used to disdain over the first year of the project, but it seems I'm running out of patience, though I generally consider myself a pretty patient guy.

    I just wanted to voice my concern on this issue, as it's turning me off the game. I'm finding myself more interested in 9th Heim or Mordheim these days as each time I want to play T9A it takes so much time to review the rules and try to get a handle on what my and my opponents lists are capable of, and then so much time to play a game because we have to keep checking rules as I can't remember off the top of my head which edition the rules I remember came from... Just feeling tired of it all... then feeling sad and angry about not wanting to play my old favourite game :(
    :VC: The covenant shall bind you... :beer:
  • Another Rules Update? Seriously??

    I just wanted to voice my concern on this issue, as it's turning me off the game. I'm finding myself more interested in 9th Heim or Mordheim these days as each time I want to play T9A it takes so much time to review the rules and try to get a handle on what my and my opponents lists are capable of, and then so much time to play a game because we have to keep checking rules as I can't remember off the top of my head which edition the rules I remember came from... Just feeling tired of it all... then feeling sad and angry about not wanting to play my old favourite game :([/quote]

    The "old" game is gone forever man if you liked stay play with 8th(or chess these rules never change ;)
    In bigger picture to have some close to perfect rules you have to improve them right?
    I'm still waiting for this game to reach next level ..

    keep calm
    and
    warrrgha cadabra
    keep calm and warrrgha cadabra
  • Darkvoice wrote:

    @yrtomin @Eru Yes, this was a knee-jerk response.
    No, I didn't see the news because I only came on the site to grab the rules for a game we were about to play.
    No, I don't usually look at the news because it seems it's mostly just BlondBeer or SkaveninAZ or someone's battle reports or some such (as opposed to news about the game), and considering the window size I use for browsing forums the news tab is rarely even on my screen (and I have mentioned this in the Website Help forum, and think it should be the default home tab..and I do see it there now).

    I'm sure the staffers here are very committed and probably play often and seriously, (and thank you for that committment). I'm sure there are people like me as well, who manage to find some time to play once or twice a month (or not at all), and don't spend all their time reading the forums (though I try to when I have some time).

    I'm painfully aware that I've become a whingeing moaner, the type I used to disdain over the first year of the project, but it seems I'm running out of patience, though I generally consider myself a pretty patient guy.

    I just wanted to voice my concern on this issue, as it's turning me off the game. I'm finding myself more interested in 9th Heim or Mordheim these days as each time I want to play T9A it takes so much time to review the rules and try to get a handle on what my and my opponents lists are capable of, and then so much time to play a game because we have to keep checking rules as I can't remember off the top of my head which edition the rules I remember came from... Just feeling tired of it all... then feeling sad and angry about not wanting to play my old favourite game :(
    Read the rules freeze thread in general discussion.

    Isnt this exactly what you wanted? Game isnt getting updated until somewhere around autumn for 2.0.
    All changes you see now are just layout changes, dont you read the changelog?
  • Igthorn wrote:

    The "old" game is gone forever man if you liked stay play with 8th(or chess these rules never change ;)
    In bigger picture to have some close to perfect rules you have to improve them right?
    I'm still waiting for this game to reach next level ..
    Well.. I consider it more or less the same game. I mean it scratches the same itch :)


    yrtomin wrote:

    Isnt this exactly what you wanted? Game isnt getting updated until somewhere around autumn for 2.0.
    All changes you see now are just layout changes, dont you read the changelog?
    6 months? That is exactly the pace I find exhausting. There is a very likely chance I will only get 6-10 games in (some of them 30 or more days apart, and I won't have had time to spend hours and hours the day before reading the rules). How about 18months? WHFB was more like 6 years than 6 months between changes, and upon reflection, I prefer the slower pace.

    Anyway, I'm not the only type of player out there. Just my humble opinion.
    :VC: The covenant shall bind you... :beer:
  • Sometimes i think people is on some kinda of drugs, are you for real? so you were happy when gw released a broken book and you had to suffer it for years instead of fixing it asap? lets face it, the last changes were so insignificant that you can get up to date in 10 minutes of reading.
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds- elf hero on foot 2016
  • *grabs the popcorn*
    @Darkvoice has a point and it's turning away alot of prospective new players due to the constant changes. Unfortunately this game won't be able to be sustained just by veterans alone. You need new blood and these changes ain't helping.....it's actually hurting itself more and more each time there is a "new" rules update as this game requires long term investment (i.e 1 year+) in order to play it and no new players are going to invest into something that constantly changes regardless if it's for good or bad. Whilst GW did release broken rules at least it was stable i.e 5 years + and people can be invested into it.

    But I'm just here to read the smack-talk
  • pk-ng wrote:

    *grabs the popcorn*
    @Darkvoice has a point and it's turning away alot of prospective new players due to the constant changes. Unfortunately this game won't be able to be sustained just by veterans alone. You need new blood and these changes ain't helping.....it's actually hurting itself more and more each time there is a "new" rules update as this game requires long term investment (i.e 1 year+) in order to play it and no new players are going to invest into something that constantly changes regardless if it's for good or bad. Whilst GW did release broken rules at least it was stable i.e 5 years + and people can be invested into it.

    But I'm just here to read the smack-tal
    Im surprise people manage to go through their first year of school if they consider 5 lines of text such a huge change to turn players away, but of course suffering unplayable or broken OP books for years is far better than reading 5 new lines every couple months.
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds- elf hero on foot 2016
  • pk-ng wrote:


    But I'm just here to read the smack-talk
    @pk-ng enjoy, lol.
    Seriously though, I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'd rather keep this civilized.

    WhammeWhamme wrote:

    So I suggest you play with 1.3, ignore 2.0 when it hits (it shouldn't be out for too long), and then learn 2.1 as the last version of T9A you'll need to learn for 4+ years
    4+ years, now you're talking, though that may turn out to be a little too stable. We'll see.


    WhammeWhamme wrote:

    That's not so bad, is it? One more change you'll have to learn and then you're done?
    Yeah right. I'm sure each of those versions will have 3-4 subversions (2.0.1 etc) so it's actually like 6-8 versions..


    I'm not against change by any means! Just not this pace of change as I don't have time. The game has been 'good enough' for many versions, and I look forward to it's continued improvement. Maybe 1 update per year in the same month each year? At least something predictable!!


    And yes, stable broken book is preferable to changing the change of the change of the change of the change of the change of the change of thethe change of the change of the change of the change of the change of the change of thechange... seriously, I was going to try and do the right number of changes since this came out like 2 years ago, but I don't even know. (In 1.3 alone we are already at the change of the change of the change of the change of the change of the change (1.3 was itself a change)).

    When things were broken we just didn't use them, or didn't overuse them. Or you can play with people who use all the broken stuff and just play to win, but we have a name for those kind of people...

    About the latest rules, is there a changelog somewhere? Since it seems they didn't colour code the changes will I have to read the entire book to find what is different between the two?
    :VC: The covenant shall bind you... :beer: