Iron Cities, Mercenaries for T9A

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Iron Cities, Mercenaries for T9A

Hi fellows mercenaries

Working with @RATSMASSESMIETTES, we have decided to create a homebrew for an army of mercenaries

The action take place in the south, in a land where no state exists but where big cities have preeminent power. Something like Renaissance Italy.
      Each city fight with spy, assassins and armies to increase the influence on the others. Such cities have not the resources to maintain a big regular army permanently, so they usually use mercenaries from all other countries. The commerce provide enough money to hire troops so many warriors come to work in the Iron cities.

This is for the background. Now some explanations about the project. Last year, with some enjoying persons from the Italian forum, we started to work on the book.
      We were near from the finish but the release of the 1.2 version , new categories and so on, blocked our project.
      Several weeks ago, @RATSMASSESMIETTES published a very good version of his vision of a mercenary armies. Good ideas on the left, good ideas on the right... We decided to merge our work to provide you a good quality book.

We hope you will like our work. Of course it is not perfect, so do not hesitate to give us some ideas or some corrections. We would really like to have many returns to make a very good book which can be used by regular players.

But enough talking : here is the link to our work : dropbox.com/s/15a3qfs29vk4ps0/ironcrownsv2.pdf?dl=0

The post was edited 4 times, last by Mirdhynn ().

• Riddles wrote:

i like it, having built a DoW army and having used it as an EoS list it'll be fun to run a casual list as it was intended. It is fairly true to the roots of the army i feel.
      Hope you like it. I am in the same case as you : playing EoS with a mercenary army and I would be happy to see a strong army book to play with
    • Hello there !

I always loved mercenary army, and to see a promising fanbook fill my hearth with joy.
      I came here to give you my two cents about that first version -I'll try to remain concise-

First and foremost, english is not my mothertongue, so maybe I misunderstood some rule.

Soldier of Fortune
      In Iron City army any Characters can be upgraded to be the Battle Standard Bearer (BSB)
      I don't think the precision "(BSB)" is needful here. As far as I remember, in official armybook it is simply called "Battle Standard Bearer". And more importantly, you say here taht any Characters can be upgraded, but we can not see the cost anywhere in the book. I know that it is 50 points (like in everybody's book), but I think it is necessary to write it here).

The rest of the rule (about the Paymaster) is pretty good.

Ventura Commandant, Regiment of Renown, Dogs of War Category
      This is perfect ! I don't think another way to put regiments of renown in a more optimized way. Bravo !

The rest of the rules, traits, armoury and magical items seems fine.
      But pay attention to the layout of your texte, there is a few line break...broken ! (This is a general advice, for all the book)

Your army book don't have any picture (for the army organisazion chart, I mean), try to put some on it. Nothing significant of course, but aesthetic make a difference between a good fanbook and a great fanbook.

CHARACTERS
      Here come a problem (at least, a problem for me) with your rule "Soldier of fortune". If any charachter can be the BSB, so even the wizard and the assassin ?! This is very...exotic. This must be tested througly. Balance is still the main objective of T9A.
      Also, I think that half-dwarf have to keep mouvment 3, elves their M5 and Ogre M6. Why ? We are mercenary, diversity is our trademark and I don't think that generalized is healthy for us. Furthermore, the Ogre, dog of war category, already have M6, so a genreal ogre cannot lead a Ogre pack in a optimized way...
      My opinion about mouvment apply itself for the half-dwarf and half-elves unit though the book, of course.

The two other entry is fine. (Why the assassin have M5 ? It is an elve ?)

How about a new choice ? I think a searcher/adventurer while a poor fighter, that bring some static buff or funny object can be a original idea (basically a Marco Colmbo or Leonardo da Miragliano)

CORE
      Everything is good. I really love how the regiment of renown work !
      Maybe some point rework ? I really don't know...

SPECIAL
      Paycart Guard may enjoy an option for plate armour, don't you think ?

The rest is still pretty good.

DOG OF WAR
      As I say before, I think the army will benifit from the mouvment rework.

Maybe, for the Ogre, access to some special rules from Regiment of Renown (Like the Mercenary Veterans from the OK army book) ?

Menagerie & Curiosities
      Ohhhhh boys, here we go !
      The Cokatris and the Gargant are fun and original.

But the two other choice...
      I know that Cursed Cohort represent Richter Kreugar' skeletons, but they bring nothing to the army. We already have a ton of big infantery block, and this is a narrow section (20%). I don't feel they are competitive choice here.

And finally, the Daemon of Blaspheme is a interesting unit, flying skirmishers is a great tool (and unique in this army, unlike the cursed cohort). But I sincerely think need a rename. How daemons can be interested in gold ? I suggest something like gargoyles that are mechanical constructions, buy from an exocentric artificer (heroes of might and magic's gargoyles, anyone ?)

Finally, this is a really nice book, with a great potential. I will honestly play it while waiting for an offical army book, if it comes out one day (so not this year I think).
    • Neastrane wrote:

I don't think the precision "(BSB)" is needful here. As far as I remember, in official armybook it is simply called "Battle Standard Bearer". And more importantly, you say here taht any Characters can be upgraded, but we can not see the cost anywhere in the book. I know that it is 50 points (like in everybody's book), but I think it is necessary to write it here).
      The rest of the rule (about the Paymaster) is pretty good.
      Will check this

Neastrane wrote:

Ventura Commandant, Regiment of Renown, Dogs of War Category
      This is perfect ! I don't think another way to put regiments of renown in a more optimized way. Bravo !
      The rest of the rules, traits, armoury and magical items seems fine.
      But pay attention to the layout of your texte, there is a few line break...broken ! (This is a general advice, for all the book)
      Your army book don't have any picture (for the army organisazion chart, I mean), try to put some on it. Nothing significant of course, but aesthetic make a difference between a good fanbook and a great fanbook.

Really pleased you like it. This is an original idea from the Italians (They will be happy too if they read us ;) )
      I think we ill in the future put a table for each renown regiment option. It will be clearer.

Images? you want images ??? :D some duellists for example ? (More will come but for now we are focused on rules

Neastrane wrote:

Here come a problem (at least, a problem for me) with your rule "Soldier of fortune". If any charachter can be the BSB, so even the wizard and the assassin ?! This is very...exotic. This must be tested througly. Balance is still the main objective of T9A.Also, I think that half-dwarf have to keep mouvment 3, elves their M5 and Ogre M6. Why ? We are mercenary, diversity is our trademark and I don't think that generalized is healthy for us. Furthermore, the Ogre, dog of war category, already have M6, so a genreal ogre cannot lead a Ogre pack in a optimized way...

Will check this with @RATSMASSESMIETTES . I think the Wizard and assassin is just a forgot.
      Concerning moving characteristics, they are "half" :P This would be complicated for moving with our base human troops to have different movement values. but will think about it.

Neastrane wrote:

How about a new choice ? I think a searcher/adventurer while a poor fighter, that bring some static buff or funny object can be a original idea (basically a Marco Colmbo or Leonardo da Miragliano)
      Will be cool but we already have several races in the characters with different bonus allowed. I don't want to add too much. And Don't want to looks like the EoS (have sorts of prelates like the empire)

Neastrane wrote:

Everything is good. I really love how the regiment of renown work !Maybe some point rework ? I really don't know...
      Paycart Guard may enjoy an option for plate armour, don't you think ?
      The rest is still pretty good.

At this point, we need play testing to know. The Paycart would love it, but they can already have pretty the same effects with a human character (see his bonus)

Neastrane wrote:

Maybe, for the Ogre, access to some special rules from Regiment of Renown (Like the Mercenary Veterans from the OK army book) ?

In discussion with @RATSMASSESMIETTES :) we were not agree on it (like on Dwarves renown regiments). Let's say how the player will influence us.

Neastrane wrote:

Finally, this is a really nice book, with a great potential. I will honestly play it while waiting for an offical army book, if it comes out one day (so not this year I think).

Thanks ! do not hesitate to give me some retruns from your games. It will help us.

Kasocles wrote:

I just like how many options and customisation there is available. That's how it should be for all armies!

Diversity is the mark of fabric of Mercenaries. Pleased that you like it !
    • Mirdhynn wrote:

Images? you want images ??? some duellists for example ? (More will come but for now we are focused on rules
      Holy... this is awesome !!

Mirdhynn wrote:

Concerning moving characteristics, they are "half" This would be complicated for moving with our base human troops to have different movement values. but will think about it.
      I see your reasoning and understand it. Honestly, I don't think there is a wrong choice (in terme of army direction I mean), I only defend the school of Non-homogeneous movement because of nostalgia and convenience (It is easier to buy/make/assemble dwarf and elves models than their half variante).

About your point on the plate armour and "scientist" heroes, you are totally right. For the fisrt I have misread the rule and for the last I simply don't know the EoS army well.

I plan to run a game maybe next week or the following. If it happen, I will give you some retruns !

Keep up your work guys ! It has a fabulous appeal ;)
    • Neastrane wrote:

Mirdhynn wrote:

Images? you want images ??? some duellists for example ? (More will come but for now we are focused on rules
      Holy... this is awesome !!
      Not from me but from a french comic ... about Mercenaries :D (Horacio d'Alba)
      google.fr/search?q=horacio+d%2…_AUICSgC&biw=1013&bih=748
    • Hey,

This is great, really great. Love the updates by the way too.

I don't really think that the cursed cohort is a problem unit for competitiveness. It's an anvil, but a different type of anvil and it adds excellent flavor in my opinion. They could have the Undead special rule though.

I don't think there is any need to have a BSB. Unless I'm reading it wrong, if you have a paymaster and a BSB then you will have two models with the hold your ground special rule right? I think you could remove the BSB and just have the paymaster with hold your ground. You have the trait that adds D3 combat res to counterbalance that missing component.

I'm looking forward to giving it a run sometime.
    • Hi there,
      Thanks for this great work, nice reading!

Few questions as I have been collected dogs of war miniatures:
      1/ is this army will be the starting point for the potential new T9A army to be released in 2018?
      2/ what about other units with available minis such as birdmen? Galloper guns?
      3/pikesmen, your rules sound solid although I am not super fan as it doesn't reflect this weapon as we can see in military stories.
      - FER (2) no problem.
      - Why +1 strenght instead of lethal strike?
      - pikesmen holding with two hands, on several ranks, make a wall of steel at least 2 meters deep. Giving distracting special rules could reflect this advantage in T9A.

To picture 3 meters long pikes on the battle field ;)
      Rocroi battle

Looking forward to reading your comments
      Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville (FBJ)
      6 Nations 2014. French DE player
      ETC 2016 & 2017. Luxembourg coach
      Chairman ETC2018

The post was edited 1 time, last by Babnik Kalenina ().

• Babnik Kalenina wrote:

Hi there,

1/ is this army will be the starting point for the potential new T9A army to be released in 2018?
      3/pikesmen, your rules sound solid although I am not super fan as it doesn't reflect this weapon as we can see in military stories.
      - FER (2) no problem.
      - pikesmen holding with two hands, on several ranks, make a wall of steel at least 2 meters deep. Giving distracting special rules could reflect this advantage in T9A.

Hello

1/ No : this is a fan realisation not a 9th age validated book.
      2/ We didn't include i but I had some ideas on this before. I wil try to find it and post it.
      3/ We have several soulitions. I was for -1 to hit due the pikemen formation. but my colleague convince me it was too much and we stayed on the old GW definition of pike.
    • Mirdhynn wrote:

Babnik Kalenina wrote:

Hi there,

- FER (2) no problem.

Hello
      1/ No : this is a fan realisation not a 9th age validated book.
      2/ We didn't include i but I had some ideas on this before. I wil try to find it and post it.
      3/ We have several soulitions. I was for -1 to hit due the pikemen formation. but my colleague convince me it was too much and we stayed on the old GW definition of pike.

:D :D :D

9th age IS "Fan Made"

That's why 9th should be the opportunity to go beyond old GW scrolls

4/ Pavise. It should not give benefits to the marksmen if they are being shot from the side or the rear.
      Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville (FBJ)
      6 Nations 2014. French DE player
      ETC 2016 & 2017. Luxembourg coach
      Chairman ETC2018