Quick and Dirty UB2 Walkthrough

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• Quick and Dirty UB2 Walkthrough

UPDATE: Due to a change in photobucket policies (as of the last week in June), all the external links to images aren't working. I am unable to fix this at the present time, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

ORIGINAL:
      The primary goal here is a quick overview of the in-match features and interfaces.

When you first log into UB2 you'll see a lobby with a chat interface on the left, and area on the right (that will contain boxes with text in them if any games are ongoing). Below that second area are two buttons: Edit Armies and Create a Match. For our purposes, we will assume you will use an existing army (I'll show you how to find one below), and you can explore the army editing features on your own. The chat interface is the same in the lobby and in the match, so we'll discuss that momentarily.

If the match you want to join exists, you can click on it to enter the match. Matches with a brown box are password-protected (and you'll need to know the password to get in). Matches in a bluish box are open to anyone to enter. If the match doesn't exist (or you want to create a test game just to play around), click on Create a Match. (It'll ask you for a name and password - you can leave password blank to leave the match open to anyone.)

There's two primary interface areas. On the left is the chat interface again.

Chat interface:
      Display Spoiler

The black box at top is where you type things. Submit (or hitting the Enter key) will send them (and they'll appear in the lower black box where it says "Squirrelloid: joined" in the image above). This area will also record players joining the match, dice rolls, and distances moved by units.

You'll notice the area above the lower black box has 3 tabs. The currently highlighted left one is the chat tab, and you'll generally be in this tab. The middle tab will tell you who is in the room. (The number is the number of people in the room - my test match for making this tutorial featured only me). The gear tab has some options like sound and a link to the UB forums. You don't need to care about anything but the chat tab if you don't want to.

The person who created the match always has full permissions. Everyone else who joins is a spectator. They can chat, but they can't manipulate anything on the table. To give an opponent permissions to play, click on their name (even in the chat tab - any instance of their name in red will do) and select the option to give them permission to play.

To the right of the chat area is the playing field. Terrain and units can be placed here. We'll get back to this once we know how to put some units on the table.

Below that is the second major interface area.

We'll go through the contents of this bar from left to right.

The far left two buttons - the magnifying glasses - are zoom in and zoom out. You can also zoom with the scroll wheel on your mouse.

Saving and Loading
      Display Spoiler
      The old school floppy disk icon next to them is the load/save menu. Clicking it pops up the following:

UB 2 allows 4 save slots. To save what's on the table, click a slot. It will prompt you for a name. Saving saves all the elements on the table, including any notes made on them (below).

If you click the load tab, it will give you the option to load any saved games.

Important: loading a saved game does not replace the table or delete anything on the table when you load. It adds the elements from the saved game to whatever is already on the table in the positions they were before. This means you can pre-build an army, give it a save slot, and quickly load it into any game at any time. The MSUDE slot above is my MSU DE army.

The next set of 4 icons are the source of tools, terrain, models and dice.

The tool tab:
      Display Spoiler
      Clicking the icon with the calipers and ruler pops up the following menu:

The first tab has various measuring devices. This includes rulers and rangefinders (the clear red ones with a number on it - that number is their length in inches), area templates (5" and 3"), and a line of sight tool. Like every other element you can add to the game table, clicking any of these places one instance of that item in the center of the table.

The second tab has a variety of symbols that can be used for bookkeeping purposes, including wound markers.

The terrain tab:
      Display Spoiler
      The next icon, the tree, is where we find terrain. Clicking on it pops up this menu:

Terrain is sorted by types under the tabs at top, and there are various images available for each one. You can add any element to the table by clicking its image.

The length and width are the measurements of the table. You can change these here (although the default is 72x48, which is what we want).

The "Lock" button makes it so that no player can move the terrain. Open up this menu and click that button after you've placed all the terrain you want where you want it.

Save lets you save the terrain layout. I believe you can save up to 5 different layouts.

Load lets you load any terrain layout anyone has saved. Since some people have uploaded official T9A maps, this is very useful. Clicking on Load gets us this menu:

Note that the map isn't displaying quite where it should be. I'm sure it will be fixed at some point...

There are three tabs on the left. The three bars tab has a variety of backgrounds, including grass, sand, rock, and so on. The middle tab with a person is maps you've saved. The right tab is a search function that lets you enter a keystring to search all saved maps for. If you search T9A, at least 6 (as of this tutorial) T9A maps pop up (2-7), one of which has different versions for different deploy types.

Most players seem to use the T9A official maps, so finding these will make things a lot easier for you.

The unit tab:
      Display Spoiler

The crossed swords icon pops up the unit menu. This will let you deploy models on the board.

The top area contains all the units. Note the slidebar - you can slide it to the right, and armies can have dozens of units.

Below that is the Change Army button. We'll get to that in just a moment.

Below that is the formation and direction button. Formation can either be ranked or skirmish (the spaced squares). Direction can be facing up or down. (it's easy to rotate units once in play, so don't worry too much about that part).

In the center is the rows and columns selector. The number above those will update to show how many models you've going to place total. If you need to place a number of models which requires a partial row, you'll need to delete models after placing it - just place an extra full row and delete down. Note that units are placed with a transparent green 'movement tray' that they are locked to. (We'll talk more about that below when we talk about moving units).

The right is the command group icons. Clicking on them (they'll highlight green when active) will cause the unit to deploy with a symbol matching the one shown that is just in front of the unit and also locked to the movement tray.

If you need to reform a unit to a different shape during play, it's easiest to just redeploy the unit through this menu and delete the old one after you're satisfied.

To place a unit, click the model you want. This will add its name to the black text bar following the number. It will also create a 'place it' button underneath the row and column selection area. Select direction, formation, command, and rows+columns, then hit that place it button, and voila, you'll have created a unit.

Changing Armies:
      If you click on the Change Army button, the following menu will pop up:

The person tab is armies you've created yourself. The Star tab is (i believe) other people's armies you've marked (to find easier later). The magnifying tab is a search function (so you can look for 'elves' or 'dread elves' or whatever you want to play, and see what other people have made).

Once you get a list to choose from, clicking on it will show you all the units in the army. The Set as Default button in the lower right corner will make it the army you'll be working with to add models to the table with the unit menu, and clicking it will also immediately take you back to the unit menu we were in before.

The last icon is the dice tool
      Display Spoiler

Whenever you need to roll dice, pop this up, put the number of dice you need to roll in the top box (you can type or use the arrows). If you need to change the sides (say you want to roll actual d3s), you can change the d6 to d#. Clicking roll will roll that many dice and sort them, showing the results in the chat area to everyone in the match 'room'. It will also show you how many X+ results you got for all numbers greater than 1.

If you need a direction die, hit the direction button.

Moving Units:
      Display Spoiler

Selecting Units, Removing Units, Rotation, and Locking units:
      You can select a unit by clicking on the green tab (or the model for single model units). A series of icons will pop up around the unit, and the movement tray 'tab' that sticks out behind the unit will get bigger.

Note that the above image is the large tab. Units which aren't selected have much smaller tabs.

The top icon is the trashcan. Clicking it will allow you to delete your unit. (There is a pop-up asking for confirmation). Deleting a unit deletes all models and icons locked to its unit tray.

The right icon is the rotation type icon. Currently showing pivot (rotate about the center), there's also a turn left and turn right arrow which will wheel about the appropriate corner.

The left icon is the rotation tool. Once you've selected the right rotation type, clicking and holding this icon and moving the mouse up or down will cause the unit to rotate. It will show you the angle the unit is rotated at next to this tool (360/0 degrees is straight up). For wheels, it will also show the inches moved. Inches moved will be reported in the chat feature.

You can also select single models (in or out of units) by clicking on the model. They have all the options units have, but also a fourth option that gets displayed below the model, a chain. This is the lock tool, and can be used to lock a model to a base (ie, a character joining the unit), or unlock a model from a unit. With a locked model, click the chain and it will change to a chain without the middle link - the model is now freed from the base. With an unlocked model, click the incomplete chain and the game will hide all the models and show only unit trays - click a unit tray to lock the model too.

Whenever you move a unit tray, all models locked to that tray move. You can still move models locked to the tray independently of the tray (but until you unlock them, they'll still move when the tray moves, no matter where you put them!)

Moving:

Moving a unit is as simple as grabbing the tray and moving your mouse. You can move the unit in any direction, and the game will show you how far it has moved. Doing so will not change its facing.

There's two more icons on the bottom. For movement, the left one can be a useful tool (circled and turned on above). It locks the unit to only being able to move cardinal directions relative to its facing. Ie, straight forward, straight back, and to the sides. This is very useful for moving ranked units or making charge moves. Clicking it so its green will activate it (shown above). Clicking it again so it turns grey will deactivate it. Between this and the wheel tools, you can handle most R+F movement. (Units which can freely pivot or reform are easiest moved without this activated).

The last icon, the U next to it, shows the movement tray and tab, and is active by default. Turning it off (click so it turns grey) makes the movement tray tab invisible and makes it impossible to select individual models in a unit. This lets you move the unit by clicking on a model, but you won't be able to remove casualties or do anything else that requires manipulating individual models. (Probably most useful for KoW).

And that's pretty much everything you need to know. Enjoy.
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

The post was edited 3 times, last by Squirrelloid ().

• Nicely done. Does UB2 now show for all people the distance moved by a unit you move?
      http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Fantasy Dwarf website on the net, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, balls to ships!

Advisory Board

Head of Public Relations

Bugmans Brewery Owner (Dwarven Holds)

• Bugman wrote:

Nicely done. Does UB2 now show for all people the distance moved by a unit you move?
      Reports it in the chat, yes.
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• Just_Flo wrote:

How do I do Screenshots with UB2?

I just used my "print screen" key and then pasted into MSPaint (because I didn't need to do anything but crop, otherwise I'd use GIMP).

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• Squirrelloid wrote:

Just_Flo wrote:

How do I do Screenshots with UB2?
      I just used my "print screen" key and then pasted into MSPaint (because I didn't need to do anything but crop, otherwise I'd use GIMP).
      I use snipping tool, by far the fastest way of getting exactly what you want.
      ETC Salamanca 2017 - Wales - VC (Merc)
      ETC Zagreb 2018 - Wales - VC (Merc)

Check out T9A's Official Discord server! discord.gg/yeGPwcG Come and hang with us!

My YouTube channel: youtube.com/channel/UCzANmC2-K…6ASeHA?view_as=subscriber
    • Kyrys wrote:

how can I save/load an existing army on table? Like Pro account on UB1..
      I see, that I can only upload saved match.
      You don't save the 'match', you save the table state. And when you load, you don't replace the current table, you add your saved stuff to the existing table.

So if you create a game, and just put your army on the table (no terrain, nothing else, just your army) and save that, you can load that into another game and it will add your army to the table.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• Hello @kisanis

Yes you can but features like saving your own army are not available to you, neither if I remember is importing/saving

For the low cost, it's worth it but take a few units, play a few friends and decide if it's worth it for yourself
      http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Fantasy Dwarf website on the net, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, balls to ships!

Advisory Board

Head of Public Relations

• Thanks bugman,

I'll play around with some friends (one is currently in Yellowknife, NWT!) online and see if its worth it. I've heard good things on it.

I enjoy roll20 for our RPG sessions and am ok spending the money on things that I like - I just wasn't sure what the main features of PRO vs. Free are.

Thanks!

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Basically pro allows you to save armies and I think now battles which makes life a lot easier!

Good luck and let us know if you enjoy it or not!

Advisory Board

Head of Public Relations