SA: OLD-v0.8 playtesting feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SA: OLD-v0.8 playtesting feedback

Hi guys :)

With the release of the beta we're ready to kick off some great playtesting. The purpose of this thread is to have a single thread for all Reptilian playtest feedback.
      Use this post to give back feedback of games, but do not post actual battle reports here. Don't argue, discuss or comment on other people's feeckback in this thread - do that in the Reptilian subforum.

I look forward to see your feedback, have fun :)

Here is what we are looking for with regards to feedback:

Size of GameLength of Game (time).
      Player Experience LevelOpponent Experience Level
      # of Game With Current Draft# of Game with Current Draft
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)

Here is a description of the possible responses for "Experience Level" above. Please be honest in your assessment of your skills: there is no shame in being a casual player, and we are trying to design a game that will appeal to both Casual and Tournament players alike.

Self-Reported ExperienceDescription
      Casual<2 years Experience. Does not participate in tournaments.
      Intermediate2-5 years Experience. Sometimes participates in tournaments.
      Expert5+ years Experience. Familiar with ETC/Swedish comps. Regularly participates in tournaments.
      Tournament5+ years Experience. Places at local tournaments. Experience in ETC or Master's-level tournaments.

Please include a copy of both your and your opponent's list. We do not need every detail: units, their numbers, and any particularly new magic items or configurations you were testing will suffice.

LordsHeroesCoreSpecialRareLordsHeroesCoreSpecialRare
      Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1
      Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2
      Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3
      Choice 4Choice 4Choice 4
      Choice 5Choice 5Choice 5

Please then include a short description of the game, the outcome, and what your and your opponent's thoughts were. If you feel anything needs tuning, please leave it here. Important: A single game does not determine an item's / unit's power level. Please test multiple times, in multiple configurations before suggesting feedback that xyz needs a redesign.
    • So far I have had 3 games with Reptilians in the 9th Age so far, I will not post any full battle reports (it takes a LOT of time to do a proper battle report unfortuneately), but will report my most important findings here

- the Slann base cost is very high imo. I mean base cost here, not cost for disciplines (some discipline costs need to be looked at as well). 300 points is a bit harsh. Without the ability to consistently generate PD/DD the Slann has lost a lot of his magical power as well.

. I have tested the Spinosaurus once so far, besides the fact that the Sun Engine is kinda misplaced on that model, I used it as a fast flanking unit to kill enemy redirectors and stuff (with thunderstomp). the shooting weapon is worthless for that unit role, I wanted to shoot multiple times but I couldnt since I had to march. that model needs a complete rework imo (from scratch)

- the Pteranodon Riders really got the shaft with losing skirmishers, at 35 points per model for T3 W2 5+AS they are extremely vulnerable to arrow fire. Imo either points cost need to be dropped or they regain skirmishers. they lost a model with just minimum shooting at them -> panic test on a 5 -> bye bye

- in one game I used a Maceosaurus, a Godly Engine and a Spinosaurus. All 3 of them have the same bound spell (burning gaze from path of light). Thats both very boring and imbalanced. Its too good against daemonic / undead targets when you can spam this easily and too weak against other armies.

- I tested the T-Rex once (the big one with Oldblood on top). Damage potential is great, but its extremely vulnerable to any kind of shooting or any kind of attack at all. With being frenzy and being ground-bound it has to take a lot of damage before it can actually start to fight. I used the following defensive setup for it to reduce incoming ranged damage: one-use 1+ armour save (for one phase), enemy has to reroll 6s to wound with shooting attacks (Gem of Fortune and Bronze Breastplate). 3 units of WE archers reduced the guy to 3 wounds in their first turn of shooting. the problem with this guy is also the I2, so your roughly 470 pts T-Rex ends up in a combat with 2-4 wounds remaining, striking after most opponents. Sure you can move him into some S3 or S4 infantry, but thats overkill. Stegadon can do the same for half price. He is meant to fight stuff like demigriffs, Ironguts, other Monsters, Crushers etc. Those guys will just kill him before he gets to strike (or he can strike once and then gets owned). Imo LM need a race-specific magic item giving this guy a 5+ ward in order to make this really expensive guy a competitive choice (force shield is properly priced for Dragons I believe, since they can fly, but the T-Rex cant and has Frenzy, so he does need additional protection)

- the small Tyrannosaurus is a decent model on the other side. the 2+ AS is the WORLD of a difference against massed shooting. Also the price tag is much more reasonable. It killed a Treeman in one of my games (although the fight was on knife's edge, I started the fight with 3 wounds remaining against a full treeman, both have same initiative (rider had a lance on I3 though), and I managed to make both my 4+ ward saves against both crush attacks (round 1&2), if one had gone off it would have been bye bye Tyrannosaurus; I killed the Treeman in turn 2 or 3 iirc. Points comparison: roughly 350 point Tyrannosaurus vs 205 point Treeman, so I suppose the TS should win). Overall decent model I believe, will definitely playtest it again.

- Saurus Warriors look decent on paper, but time and time again these guys just dont do much at all on the battlefield. Only in one game they did something meaningfull, where I managed to charge them in the front of a big unit of wild riders (my opponent made a major tactical error there, so my M5 saurus (banner) could actually get that charge off against his M9 fast cav) and they broke it (I had a Scar-Vet in the unit that tipped the fight in my favour). These guys could use a small price cut (-1 pt /model) and a sacred spawning upgrade (at extra cost) with some extra movement would make those guys a really viable choice. They are still solid though for defensive play!

- Scar-Vets on Raptors are still good, but the nerf with shooting allocation hit them hard (cant hide from bolt throwers, -3 AP arrows etc in Saurus any more) and they got more expensive. Also with Killing blow so common nowadays there is a lot more units you dont want your Scar-Vets to get into a fight with (e.g. WE Spearmen killed my 1+rerollable Scarvet in 2 turns)

- I tested both Spike Lizards and Fire Lizards in all of my games. With the loss of the "5+ skink save" they are very vulnerable to BS fire now. Fire Lizard didnt manage to get a single decent shot off and Spike Lizards were underwhelming for the most part as well.

- the new ability so that your Slann can get a 5th spell with a discipline opens up a truckload of new options. Really great change.

- Maceosaurus is decent for its points, but a bit slow (M4)

- Triceratops has a fair price now with 190 (+10 for Giant Blowpipes). the 30 point tax on the sharp horns is pretty hefty though.

- I havent tested Croxisaur, CoR, TG and some other units yet. hopefully I can do that soon.
    • Cross-posted at PinkTaco's request from the Reptilians board:

Having played my first 9th Age game last night I'm beginning to rethink my thoughts on Skink Hunter loadouts.

My initial thought was to stick with Jav & Shield all the way. Quick to fire, +1 Strength, parry, I mean what's not to like!
      But I really found myself missing the poison.

Even with QTF Javelins are for the most part hitting on 5s and if not, then they are likely to get charged and killed pretty soon after!
      The +1 strength obviously only comes into effect when you actually hit something and like as not, my skinks were missing.
      The Parry is OK, but not as strong on skinks as the old rule was. WS2 means near everything is hitting on 3s anyway and a 10 strong T2 unit is not going to last very long at all.

On Skink Hunter units, I'll be giving Blowpipes a try again. Sure they don't have QTF, but Blowpipes can choose to Multiple Shot or not, so if the modifiers don't warrant it, you can still throw out 10 shots to get the poison.

I just found it interesting that a single game has already made me reassess my assumptions. Interesting times...

I ran a Spinosaurus as well and whilst it did OK, it still felt like it has a bit of an identity crisis. I mainly used it as a mobile (and relatively tough) Magic Beacon for my Slann to cast missiles through (and it took a lot of missile punishment before being shot down, saving some of my other units). I agree that the missile shot is rather wasted on such a fast model as you're nearly always marching and therefore unable to fire.
      Such a great model really does need some good rules to make sure it gets on the table!

My 6-strong Crox unit got its usual run out too (I nearly always ran it in 8th) and the slight points drop and command options (well musician) make it much stronger. For what the unit brings to the table, I think it's pretty much on the money points-wise.

I ran 2x20ish units of Saurus, one with HW&Sh and one with Spears. Spears feel a little situational, needing to face cavalry to really shine. However, I was interested to learn that spear units get their extra rank attacks even when charging, so this unit can put out a fair number of hits, but the -1 to hit from parry helps the low WS of Saurus. Given that I'm wavering between the two, it shows the two options are fairly balanced. A unit of 21 Saurus cannot stand up to a unit of 21 Swordmasters in any way however... 25 attacks at 2s to hit, 3s to wound=very dead Saurus.

Finally, I ran a pretty bare bones Slann with Universal Knowledge and really enjoyed it! The range of spells (+ lore attributes) is great and still being able to cast having lost concentration (just without the +4 bonus) is a great rule. I loved 2-dice trickle casting lots of small spells from Wandering Deliberations in 8th and 9th lets me do it even better!
      Feeling more free to use fewer PD, means I'm less scared about putting my Anurid High Priest into an Altar Guard unit as there's less chance of a miscast blowing a massive chunk out one of my main units.
    • Berndl wrote:

- the Pteranodon Riders really got the shaft with losing skirmishers, at 35 points per model for T3 W2 5+AS they are extremely vulnerable to arrow fire. Imo either points cost need to be dropped or they regain skirmishers. they lost a model with just minimum shooting at them -> panic test on a 5 -> bye bye
      Remember that not being skirmishers means that chiefs on pteranodon can now join them (mounted models cannot joind skmishers)
      - Assistant Head of Rules clarity -
    • I have played 3 times with reptilians. More or less with this roster I changed few things. 2400

Frog: Death, +1 spell, cube of darkness

Frog: General, BSB, Heavens, dispel scroll

Scar Veteran on baby rex: Great Weapon armour of destiny

1x19 Skinks: musician, champion, standard

2x20 Skinks: Musician, champion, standard

2x10 skinks cohort: Poisions attacks and musician

2x10 skink skirmishers: Javelins and shields

10 skinks: blow pipe

Maceosaurus

3x3 sky riders

2x3 spike lizard

I just roll magic with 3 dices, so is awfull when you lose your magic phase because you have a misscast with 3 dices, but that´s the game.
      Frog should be a little bit cheaper, ok they have 4 wounds, but they are just more or less than another wizard, their disciplines are not amezing, I understand. So I think that 275 per frog is a good price, 300 is a little bit expensive. Because they lost 1 wound and 1 I.

Scar Veteran on baby rex is nice, good tank, and hit hard. He couldn´t kill whatever he wants, but is a good way to control one flank.

Skinks without poison with javelin skirmishers I can understand, I won´t let they that combination for 7 points, but I will let them could buy that, like Skinks cohort. Do you wanna poison and skirmishers?? ok, pay for that +2 points.

Blow pipe, the problem of blow pipe is that in a few case you will use doble shot. Could be posible do a that combination =

Blow pipe: multiple shots (2), poisong, quick to fire, but it is just quick to fire if u shot a simple shot.

Maceosaurus is good, now we can play with him. 90 points u have 1 spell and you can stop things with S3 or 4s. He just move 4, but for just 90 points is good.

Sky riders, the problem is their amour save, just 6. Please 5 at least, because pay 5 points for shield is crazy!!

Spike Lizard: Now I will play with them, because you can flee and they can saturate any unit of monster. 2d6 per lizard is so good!! And you can use heavens to re-roll impatcs. They usually will shot 5+ always, is a good. Yesterday I killed a Demon Prince. 2+ armour and 5+ ward in two turns. May be I will change something with them for 10 points at the most I will give them armour piercing (1).

I have to say thank you for all the time spent in this "new game" because you can do a lot kind of rosters!!!
      Dj-Palomita15 <The Lord of the TOES>
    • Cross posting from the Reptilians sub-forum.

When a template hits a Mixed unit of Skinks and Crox, how are hits allocated and resolved?
      In this case, a 3" template hit the rear of the unit where there were only skinks.

Flame Cannon (and Fire Lizard) templates must be placed within line of sight, meaning they may not be placed on top of Impassable terrain - is this true of the entire 3" template, or the centre of the template?
      Additionally, rules are unclear as to whether a template may pass over impassable terrain as part of its movement D6" away from the fire lizard.

When Fire Lizards attack, do they do so simultaneously or in sequence? Are hits calculated, resolved, wounds allocated, saves taken, etc, one at a time or all at once?
      The same question applies to all units with ranged attacks.

Esoteric Egg - unclear definition as to what "At the start of a round of combat" means, specifically. Eg. before or after challenges, before or after selecting weapons, etc.
    • Leviathan wrote:

Cross posting from the Reptilians sub-forum.

When a template hits a Mixed unit of Skinks and Crox, how are hits allocated and resolved?
      In this case, a 3" template hit the rear of the unit where there were only skinks.

Flame Cannon (and Fire Lizard) templates must be placed within line of sight, meaning they may not be placed on top of Impassable terrain - is this true of the entire 3" template, or the centre of the template?
      Additionally, rules are unclear as to whether a template may pass over impassable terrain as part of its movement D6" away from the fire lizard.

When Fire Lizards attack, do they do so simultaneously or in sequence? Are hits calculated, resolved, wounds allocated, saves taken, etc, one at a time or all at once?
      The same question applies to all units with ranged attacks.

Esoteric Egg - unclear definition as to what "At the start of a round of combat" means, specifically. Eg. before or after challenges, before or after selecting weapons, etc.
      1. Will be clarified (no randomization)

2. Only centre of template must be within line of sight. Can pass over impassable terrain, only units are not not allowed to do this.

3. Rulebook p.38: "Complete each step for all attacks happening simultaneously (such as the all shooting attacks from a single Unit or all close combat attacks at a given Initiative step) before moving on to the next step."
      (i.e. calculate number of hits from all lizards before rolling any to wound)

4. will be clarified (to before choosing weapons)
    • So Pinktaco and I got together and attempted a short playtest of the rules.

The armies was a poorly assembled mass-up of Reptiles and a somewhat better constructed army of vampires.

I don't think an army report would be necessary. It was a rather quick game of 1500 points with no particular thoughts gone in to the army building. I for one had two vanilla Saurus heroes, pretty unimpressive ;)

What we got from this:

It's very decent that if you miscast and your opponent feels it better to dispell then letting it go, that you don't have to roll for miscast. It sort of makes it fair, that the double six'es are only a slight increase in what you roll.

Etheral as "just" +2 ward save, makes for so much better rule. I dread for the old rules nuisance of banshee hold ups. Now you have to take into account that they can still be wounded.

perhaps S6 on a flying M8 110 pts beast with reg +4, is... I don't know.... too much (Vargeist)? Perhaps cannons has something to say about that. EDIT: It doesn't have flying, I'm a fool

The Saurus Raptors are great, but obviously they would be with lances. So nice boost!

Croxisaurus's are still not super useful against infantry hordes :P That's just a heads up, I don't regard this as a complain, more that I'm making poor decision An Mass.

So in summary, I like the new magic systems enhancements and down plays. I should perhaps have taken two level two skinks, for 200 pts and left something beside, if it should have been a competative game. Again it wasn't!
      The new javelins has some getting use to, they don't just auto kill monsters any longer, I suppose that's good; some monster are perhaps too good now, that they are without counter?

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Sauric Ace ().

• had a 2500pts game today. Reptilians (me) vs beast herde.

Slann had 5 spells and picked path or beast. He wasn't more powerful than my opponent despite the base price of 300pts, but the extra spell was nice. Path of beast is very funny, but the sixth spell is dumb or just too situational. Not good for me as a RE player. +1A on an Oldblood is great. 2+A on an Oldblood is just downright mean. +1S on a chariots with Mark of wrath is mean as well haha. S7 impact hit is nasty.

Anyway my Oldblood ran me 280pts with a 1+/4+ rerollable armour save, mounted on Raptor and great weapon. He's probably one of the absolute best characters in the game, however I do fear the minotaur Lord. T6, 2+/4+ with regen and a great weapon is sick. Mark of nurgle just makes is even worse. The mino lord will remove anything at S8.

My Saurian warriors got caught in an unlucky position, but -1 To be Hit is very very nice and the streamlined Born Predator rule is good. Add Bastiladon and WS4 units hit them at 5+. Also lol at that WS5 Saurian champion :D

Skrox units are fun, but not the be-all-end-all unit, however WS4 croxigstors with born predator and HW/S skinks is very sweet. I like it.

Javelin skirmishers seemed okay. Limited movement range, good potential with S4, but lack of poison limit their available targets. They seem fairly balanced.

My Raptor riders didn't get to fight. I'm a derp. However on the power they should be awesome. I can say though, that raptors having born predators was nice on the oldblood.

My Guards were crushed due to multiple charges. Lost 22 models in one combat lol.

Bastiladon have terror. I wasn't aware of that. Is the -1Ld supposed to only work during the fear test or just a permanent debut as long as the fear causing unit is engaged to a non fear causing unit? If it's "permanent" it makes the Bastiladon a very interesting monster with it's T5 AS2. Overall it didn't see any combat because I just wanted it to buff.

I lost the combat because I was a derp. I need more practice

Oh and Ld 9 on the oldblood is great. He can now be the general allowing to spread the Ld and BSB in a good way.
    • Pinktaco wrote:

Bastiladon have terror. I wasn't aware of that. Is the -1Ld supposed to only work during the fear test or just a permanent debut as long as the fear causing unit is engaged to a non fear causing unit? If it's "permanent" it makes the Bastiladon a very interesting monster with it's T5 AS2. Overall it didn't see any combat because I just wanted it to buff.
      -1 Ld as long as in base contact.
    • - the Slann base cost is very high imo. I mean base cost here, not cost for disciplines (some discipline costs need to be looked at as well). 300 points is a bit harsh. Without the ability to consistently generate PD/DD the Slann has lost a lot of his magical power as well.
      EoL 4lv mage with 4++ costs 275 pts, for 25 pts you have +1T and W, and opportunity to buy some unique abilities.
    • I played 2 games, but I'll report one here for starters. Reptilians Vs THE KINGDOM OF CHIVALRY (1600pts)

Reptilians:
      Anurid BSB, Cube of Darkness, Get's signature spell from each path.
      Veteran on raptor with light armour GW shield (yeah I know I should have had that 4+ ws armour but I hadn't read the common mag. items)
      20 Saurus CS
      20 Shrine Protectors CSM - "Keeping your shrines safe since 1998"
      12 Skink Hunters
      11 Skink Hunters
      Maceosaurus - Codename Big Papa (my browser has tried to correct this to Lambeosaurus which shows an interesting degree of dino knowledge)
      2 Fire Lizards
      3 Sky riders on Pterodactyls (the combatty ones)

Chivalrous Gents:
      Templar of the holy grail horse (duh!) lance (duhx2)
      Paladin BSB on raptor just kidding, horse
      Lvl 2 Damsel on foot, Beasts
      Lvl 2 Damsel on horse, Life
      7 Knights of the Land
      6 Freeriders
      8 Knights of the hunt
      20 Men at arms (who promptly fled a charge and ran off the board)
      19 Bowmen
      2 Trebs
      3 Pegasus knights

I'll post our chivalry thoughts on the appropriate board.

Pretty standard battle. He opted to wait and charge me, but I managed to buff my units so as to make this a fairly unpalatable option. The trebs didn't do me enough damage so when we finally came to combat I won and seized a major victory.

Anurid is really costly for what you get. Certainly he feels like a really sucky buy compared to other lvl fours without much extra magical ability. 4+ ward is nice but he does have no armour etc and is super slow moving. Next time I'd take 2 skink priests or someone with wizard's (neighbour)hood. The take one signature spell thing is good though. Buffs are a really satisfying way of magic without the ridiculous damage spellsof 8th edition.

Veteran still works as a great cowboy, holding up units, not dying, bringing the party to you etc.

Saurus are really strong, not so sure about shrine protectors. They just aren't very satisfying value proposition. +3 for stubborn basically. I'd much prefer they had handweapon and shield (though maybe I'll math it out to check that).

Maceosaurus OP. For 90 pts it's a complete must have. I think this should cost a bit more. It has so much utility as well. It even killed a damsel by throwing javelins at her. Can't say fairer than that.

Fire Lizards are too costly methinks. Perhaps they are more for killing infantry but they used to be great for dealing with cavalry. No longer. Their range is so short that you just can't get where you need to be. They are better than Spiny Lizards though. The stats on those things just look rubbish.

Fly boys. Very good glass cannon unit. Thought them well balanced.
    • I played Nathan Young in the other battle he refers to above Reptilians v Elves of Light. Still 1600 points. Lists below:

Reptilians:
      Anurid BSB, Cube of Darkness, L4 Lore of Light
      Veteran on raptor with light armour GW shield (yeah I know I should have had that 4+ ws armour but I hadn't read the common mag. items)
      20 Saurus CS
      20 Shrine Protectors CSM - "Keeping your shrines safe since 1998"
      12 Skink Hunters
      11 Skink Hunters
      Maceosaurus - Codename Big Papa (my browser has tried to correct this to Lambeosaurus which shows an interesting degree of dino knowledge)
      2 Fire Lizards
      3 Sky riders on Pterodactyls (the combatty ones)

Elves of Light:
      Path Master, Book of the Tower,
      High Captain BSB, DA, S, Wizards Hood,
      5 Elvish Heavy Cav
      29 'Sea Guard' Full Command
      2 Coastguard Reapers
      5 Knights of the Dragon Realm, Std, Banner of Prosaic Days
      20 Sword Masters, Champ & Std, World Banner

I've Reptilians and Elves of Light for years so thought this would be a good matchup to play test as I knew the play style and units of both armies really well.

We played standard battle line game with 2 secondary objective counters to capture. Elves cleared the board of Reptilians on Turn 6 losing the Sword Masters (but only after they'd deleted Big Papa, the Saurus Warriors and put a big dent in the shrine guard) The Heavy Cav and a Reaper.

Thoughts and Feedback:

EoL:
      • The Path Master is an excellent choice for EoL. Really well balanced with great options available to him whilst not being OP as he's limited to the 'Swiss Army Knife' Magic role of a little of everything. Casting lots at L2 with the Book makes for a really challenging and enjoyable magic phase where the right amount of tactics and risk will get you the results you need even against a L4 Anurid. The (your a Wizard Harry) Hood and the Banner of Prosaic days make him playable as Aided dispel is required, working out how to get what you need casting at L2 is fine but you need to be able to dispel at L4 against l4 casting especially without a scroll.
      • The changes to spears and addition of HA to Spear Elves have brought them back into my lists after I dropped them for being unplayable a good 8 years ago. The unit worked really well, took its share of punishment and was still around to help the Sword Masters finish off the Shrine Guard at the end. Changes to Volley Fire +1.
      • Sword Masters definitely do not need Parry as well (as was suggested in prior Alpha's) it would be so OP. They are great as they are…Fragile as Heck to enemy shooting but devastating in CC which presents some great tactical headaches which I like. No unit should be point, click, delete and these aren't as even though they will delete your opponent in CC you've got the get them there in a viable unit size to do this. Really well worked unit.
      • Knights of the Dragon Realm feel like Knights of the Dragon Realm should (With S4) which is great. This game was played with Alpha 0.6.5, i'm a little concerned about points creep on them in 0.7. 35 points starts making larger units of, lets remember, T3 Elves very expensive.
      Reptilians:
      • The Aunrid is underpowered for the points you are paying for him (can see that this has been adjusted in 0.7) He needs to be able to access more than one discipline and/or some other bonus to really be the centre piece of the reptilians army that he's supposed to be. If i'm going to spend 4-600 points on my general, BSB, L4 Caster he's got to be worth it and he feels sub par at the moment.
      • Saurus Warriors with HW+S are great especially when backed up with the Anurids Magic or the Maceosaurus. we'll be seeing a lot more units of these both HW+s or Spear in Reptialian lists. Born predator is a really nice 'fix' and the unit really has a place now. Alongside the changes to Skink Cohorts with Croxisaurs in the Reptillians are finally close to having more than 1 useable core choice. Nice one.
      • The Maceosaurus is undercosted for what it does. Great unit, excellent synergy with the rest of the army but need's to be closer to 110/120. (seen v0.7)
      • Fire lizards suck! Ive played with and watched the slow decline of these formerly excellent reptilian units over the years, 18" S3 -3AS auto panic test with march movement and Handlers (++ saves) and skirmish (OP) to 13.5" S4 6"M no handlers no skirmish. Why hit them so hard with the nerf bat? Could we at least have our range back? so going 2nd or turn 2 there's at least a chance of shooting at something viable. S4 against Cav doesn't count. These have long been the reptilians counter to hoards of infantry (and previously heavy armoured cav) i'm now building lists without even one of them in but there's not really another unit that fulfils this role.

Hopefully more games to come next week so we'll report back our thoughts. Again, thanks for The 9th Age. You guys are doing a great job. Also Posted in EoL.
    • The Aunrid can’t join skirmishers any more. (Palanquin- mounted infantry)
      I always play reptilians without Saururs Warriors or Saurus Guards, so I had a skink skirmishcarrier for the slann.
      For my first game I played two Units of 10 Skinks with musician.
      I had to swift reform the first unit, move and then join the Aunrid. The second Unit positioned for the next turn.
      I didn’t like this, but I was forced to do so imho.

I also think the aunrid should have acces to more than one discipline.

Thanks for 9th age, great work, i love it already!
    • PowLeeTsai wrote:

The Aunrid can’t join skirmishers any more. (Palanquin- mounted infantry)
      I always play reptilians without Saururs Warriors or Saurus Guards, so I had a skink skirmishcarrier for the slann.
      For my first game I played two Units of 10 Skinks with musician.
      I had to swift reform the first unit, move and then join the Aunrid. The second Unit positioned for the next turn.
      I didn’t like this, but I was forced to do so imho.

I also think the aunrid should have acces to more than one discipline.

Thanks for 9th age, great work, i love it already!
      Slaans already have access to two disciplines now.

Concerning Palanquin... this is something that needs urgent clearing up by the rule writers. I personally think that a Slaan on a Palanquin is not a mounted model because the Palanquin in the Reptilian army is a Special Rule and not a mount... it just happens to share the name with a common mount in 9th Age (Dwarfs, Rats, and Pestilence can all have a Palanquin as a mount).

We need this answered asap, because not being able to put him inside skirmisher units would be a huge unnecessary nerf. Perhaps if the intention is to not let him take a flying carpet then just by saying he is not considered a model on foot (but not mounted either) would be enough.
      "Having been on both the giving and receiving end of this lore: if a game of warhammer is in some ways like a game of chess, then a successful death spell feels like the equivalent of throwing a brick at the chess board."
    • Orion wrote:

Concerning Palanquin... this is something that needs urgent clearing up by the rule writers. I personally think that a Slaan on a Palanquin is not a mounted model because the Palanquin in the Reptilian army is a Special Rule and not a mount... it just happens to share the name with a common mount in 9th Age (Dwarfs, Rats, and Pestilence can all have a Palanquin as a mount).
      Slann is considered a model on foot. It's just an unfortunate name. All mounted models have multiple profiles.
    • I only got to play two games this weekend. I had hoped for more, but introducing my friend to the new rules was apparently more exhausting than anticipated :D

A tiny introduction: my friend played Warriors of the Waste in both games and that's his main army. During 8th edition I've had a very hard time beating him and only did so a couple of times due to him goofing around. That's despite that I have more knowledge and experience of the game.

Beta 0.6.5
      we played 2500, my list:
      Slann with +1 spell, dispel scroll and BSB, path of beast.
      Oldblood with armour of destiny, dawnstone, great weapon, raptor.
      Skink Priest path of heavens.
      Scar vet with +1 To Hit Sword, enchanted shield, light armour and potion of strenght.

Skrox unit with 3 kroxigors
      4 skink skirmishers with javelins

8 kroxigors (special)
      30 templeguards, AP banner
      1 Bastiladon

My opponent:
      Deamon prince
      lvl 4 path of pestilence
      Tried without BSB because reasons

24 pestilence warriors with halbards,
      4 x 5 chaos hounds

Gorebeast chariot
      7 chaos knights

6 Skullcrushers

Observations
      The oldblood is just as good as always. Almost 40pts more expensive so though so that's more reasonable. He essentially took on the skullcrushers on his own, having baited them with frenzy overrun on skinks. They got off a lucky wound on him and otherwise he grinded them to the ground. The 0.6.5 version skullcrushers had T5/AS3+ and this was actually worse for them against S7 than T4/AS2+. Any wounds done by my OB completely stripped them of their armour save with no regards to T5. This isn't an observation regarding the strenght of the OB, but rather the difference between the 0.6.5 vs 0.7.1 skullcrushers.

Path of beast remain very good. I constantly gave my oldblood more attacks and +1/+2 attack(s) was quite common (attribute).

Unfortunately the skrox unit didn't do much, it just helped out against skullcrushers. So there isn't much to report there.

Kroxigors with born predator is very nifty. I was lucky to get off wyssans wildform on them, took a charge from the knights (+1S sword) and proceeded to remove the entire unit. I won't be taking large units of kroxigors, but the improved born predator fighter rule combined with reduced price of kroxigors makes them more worth while.

The Bastiladon didn't see any action and it didn't need to. The +1WS is very nice, but unfortunately against this army it isn't that effective. Besides -1WS from mark of pestilence is tough.

Templeguard mostly just tanked the deamon prince and the chariot. Nothing new there. The Scar Vet was used with TG and popped 2 wounds on the chariot.

Skink skirmishers with javelins were a lot of fun. S4 even against warriors can do some harm. I managed to do several wounds on the halbard warriors so that was nice.

All in all the fight was much more managable. Fair enough my opponent isn't the best and I told him to bring a BSB and put the skullcrushers far away from the Oldblood, but even then there are plenty of nasties in the list.

Beta 0.7.0
      My list
      Slann, 2 disciplines (+1 Spell), dispel scroll, path og valour.
      Oldblood, +1 To Hit Sword, potion of strenght, buffer's helm, light armour and shield, dawnstone.
      Scar Vet on carnosaur, armour of destiny, shield, spear.

40 saurus warriors
      4 x 10 skink skirmishers javelin (now poisoned)
      30 templeguards
      6 Raptor Riders
      1 Bastiladon

My opponent
      Lord on steed with +2S sword and 4+ ward.
      BSB.
      lvl 4 wizard with path of shadow.

24 sword and board warriors with mark of pestilence
      2 x 30 barbarians
      4 x 5 chaos hounds

6 ogres with great weapons
      1 chimera
      something else?

I didn't know my opponent would take shadow, but incidently valour appear to be a direct counter. Shadow have many hexes and it's easy to manage with valour due to the drain magic attribute. Overall the lore was "okay". I enjoyed the gaining more WS and a 5+ ward, but the lore lack something more. The signature spell can be boosted at a high casting value, but warriors this particular army it's just not worth it at all.
      A very defensive path and for some that is fine.

My saurus warriors were a complete dud. They were charged by the warriors and after 3 rounds of combat they fled the board. My OB was the only saving grace of the unit - challenging and killing the BSB, but flopped his attacks against the lvl 4 wizard and only did a single wound. My SWs managed to do a total of 1 wounds despite being 7 wide (21 attacks) so that was unfortunate. -1WS and -1 To Hit against WS5/T4 AS3+ is ridiculous and too much for them. I also did a major mistake in the last round of combat, but that's not important here.

Poisoned javelins works just like you expected. They kill basically all the dogs, a decent amount of barbarians and did a number on the ogres.

The chimera charged my Raptor riders so that was hilarious, however one observation - they're so much more pleasent to roll the dice with! Born predator on the mounts and same strenght value = easy time rolling dice since they do the same against WS4.

The Scarnosaur was a lot of fun. He didn't feel overpowered and I believe he has a hit a good level between power and points. 4 wounds with T5 and 2+/4+ save is dangerous and yet a lot of lords can easily take him on. The bastiladon remained just as good as expected. At one point I managed to gain +2WS from the spell and +1WS from the bastiladon on my TGs fighting the sword and board warriors. Hitting on 3+, wound on 3+ and saving on 5+ with 21 attacks (7 wide) ripped straight through them.

I remain to think that any saurus unit (SWs/TGs) gaining just 1 buff will become utter beasts and this was true here.

The match was super close and while I was bummed about my SWs running away with my OB I had a good game. It ended in a draw so for me that was two good games with a friend I've had much trouble dealing with previously.

I'm still mostly a fan of path of beast though.

I believe we could do with S4 javelins and poisoned blowpipes for added variation in our core and added distinction between the two.
    • S4 javelins would be crazy... add parry to them and semi-inmortal kroxis inside those units and that would be all people would take for Core in Reptilians. I think S3 is fine, but I would however not allow skirmishers to take javelins and shields, just blowpipes. That way you differentiate both units quite well in shooting terms. Also, blowpipes would need a little extra something then. Someone mentioned +1 to hit on large targets... sounds good enough to me.
      "Having been on both the giving and receiving end of this lore: if a game of warhammer is in some ways like a game of chess, then a successful death spell feels like the equivalent of throwing a brick at the chess board."
    • Cross-posting some feedback I put in the Reptilians section from playing so far

This time, about the Spinosaurus:

So I've played a few games with the SpinoTrog (as I like to call him) now and I think he's great.

He works brilliantly with the Magic Beacon rule, using his high M7 to allow my Mage Priest to stay out of harms way.
      Having a Terror-causing, S5, T5, W5, 4+ AS monster as your pseudo-mage is really great. You can put him in places you'd never put your Mage Priest and would worry about putting a Skink Priest.

His high M also allows the +1WS buff to get to where it is needed (unlike the Mace which can struggle to be in the right place).

He often becomes the target for enemy ranged attacks when they realise how useful he is to my army, but he can be surprisingly resilient to small arms fire (especially when healed up by Life Attribute) without being overpowered. Being a Large Target does mean he can struggle to find cover.

The shooting attack is admittedly pretty lacklustre and I don't use it all that often, but I look on it as a little bonus that may come in handy should I need it, rather than as the SpinoTrog's primary role.

I still think that the SpinoTrog's role as a 'utility back' support player is a nice and unique one that I'd be sad to lose. Sure, rework the shooting attack and (as I've said numerous times elsewhere) replace the Sun Engine with a different bound spell (Hand of Glory pretty please!), but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here!

This is especially true given the recent price increase to the Mace with the Sun Engine to nearly the same amount (110 vs 140) which sees them too similar in cost and utility.

Anyway, just my thoughts on playing and using the SpinoTrog.
    • high priest (beast)
      master of mystery
      obsidian nullstone
      charm of cursed iron
      dispell scroll
      bsb
      banner of razors

Veteran
      Raptor
      triceratops helm
      lucky charm
      great weapon
      light armor

22 saurus
      spears
      full command
      banner of speed

24 braves
      3 croxisaurus
      full command

16 shrine guard
      full command
      war standard

5 raptor riders
      full command
      banner of discipline

triceratops

I ran this against a cavalry heavy EoM list. The only thing that stuck out to me was how unbelievably potent path of beast was. Being able to add +2 strength and +2 attacks with only 2 spells cast was huge. Skink braves are still wound counters, and don't feel like they add anything, and are basically a tax to bring croxisaurus in core. Not having fear on any models in the army meant that leadership was basically meaningless to my opponent and I can see that continuing to be a problem as reptilians lake the ability to do much large scale shooting so will not be forcing panic checks, and most combats will be won or lost by fairly large margins. Now that raptor riders have real lances, I don't think that the hero was necessary for the unit and didn't really add anything, on the whole the unit is fairly priced and useful in its battlefield role. During list building I noticed that while the skink hunters are the same as the ever where, the changes to the flee rules, and the total lack of synergy with anything else in the arm, meant that I could not justify them. As it stands there is no reason that I can see to use a unit of hunters over a unit of braves with a musician, or chameleon skinks.