VC: OLD-v0.8 playtesting feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VC: OLD-v0.8 playtesting feedback

Please post any experiences you have playing with or against the Vampire Covenant along with what version of the rules used in your game. Lists and battle reports are helpful as long as they are accompanied by feedback but they are not necessary.

Here is what we are looking for with regards to feedback:

Size of GameLength of Game (time).
      Player Experience LevelOpponent Experience Level
      # of Game With Current Draft# of Game with Current Draft
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)

Here is a description of the possible responses for "Experience Level" above. Please be honest in your assessment of your skills: there is no shame in being a casual player, and we are trying to design a game that will appeal to both Casual and Tournament players alike.

Self-Reported ExperienceDescription
      Casual<2 years Experience. Does not participate in tournaments.
      Intermediate2-5 years Experience. Sometimes participates in tournaments.
      Expert5+ years Experience. Familiar with ETC/Swedish comps. Regularly participates in tournaments.
      Tournament5+ years Experience. Places at local tournaments. Experience in ETC or Master's-level tournaments.

Please include a copy of both your and your opponent's list. We do not need every detail: units, their numbers, and any particularly new magic items or configurations you were testing will suffice.

LordsHeroesCoreSpecialRareLordsHeroesCoreSpecialRare
      Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1
      Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2
      Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3
      Choice 4Choice 4Choice 4
      Choice 5Choice 5Choice 5

Please then include a short description of the game, the outcome, and what your and your opponent's thoughts were. If you feel anything needs tuning, please leave it here. Important: A single game does not determine an item's / unit's power level. Please test multiple times, in multiple configurations before suggesting feedback that xyz needs a redesign.
      "Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."
      -Count Vlad von Carstein
    • With the primary weakness of the cadaver wagon removed (can't march) do you think it's cost is too powerful for the benefit it provides? It's still a pretty lousy chariot (str 4) but for 80 points maybe it doesn't have to do much more than offer a to hit bonus and initiative.
      -Count Vlad von Carstein
    • gorblud wrote:

never even thought of using it offensively, i really dont think it costs too little. A charge from anything Will kill it due to unstable
      I flank-charged a wagon with a Beast jabberwock (3 wounds left) and the wagon killed it (had the reroll to wound spell on). Then it charged a 4-Centaur unit and killed it, too. It was rear-charged by 6 warhounds and killed them, to finally charge a doombull and keep it in combat for 4 rounds (not until it died, but until the game was over).

All that while giving +1 to hit to neighbouring Varghulfs, skeletons and zombies, and -1 to casting to enemy wizards.

I was really surprised to see that thing costed less than 100 points. It is a really hard-to-kill chariot with game-influencing buffs/debuffs, capable of handling small/medium units.

Probably it should be downgraded a little bit.

BH Army Community Support

Mathemagician

Stop SE favouritism! we want green nametags for everyone!
    • goatman wrote:

gorblud wrote:

never even thought of using it offensively, i really dont think it costs too little. A charge from anything Will kill it due to unstable
      I flank-charged a wagon with a Beast jabberwock (3 wounds left) and the wagon killed it (had the reroll to wound spell on). Then it charged a 4-Centaur unit and killed it, too. It was rear-charged by 6 warhounds and killed them, to finally charge a doombull and keep it in combat for 4 rounds (not until it died, but until the game was over).
      All that while giving +1 to hit to neighbouring Varghulfs, skeletons and zombies, and -1 to casting to enemy wizards.

I was really surprised to see that thing costed less than 100 points. It is a really hard-to-kill chariot with game-influencing buffs/debuffs, capable of handling small/medium units.

Probably it should be downgraded a little bit.
      Hm, that does indeed seem a bit strong. If that happened on average dice I stand corrected. Didn't realize it had 2d6 attacks in all directions. Also, a wagon drawn by zombies shouldn't have impact hits, and why does it have ws 2 isntead of 1?

Taking a closer look you're right, it should either be nerfed or increase a bit in points. Personally I'd rather have it's combat abilities nerfed. I hope it keeps t4, w4 and 4+ reg though, it has become an important part of the army (at least in my lists) since vampire lords, terrorgheists and Crypt Horrors have all been nerfed, increased in points, or both.
    • I played my first match yesterday with a Blood Dragon close combat list. 2 Lp Vampire knights were great, maybe even a bit too good for what they cost. Vargbeast for 135 points is a pretty solid choice now they did a great job killing small units.
      I tired out using skirmisher ghouls but I noticed that they are far too slow with M4, maybe an upgrade to a basic movement of 5 and M6 with the Ghoulking ability would make them more useful.
      The Blood dragon Chariot was ok but i would say S7 crew is too high and S4 impact hits is too low, maybe halberds instead of Great Weapons for the crew and S5 for the chariot would be a better solution.

My favourite change in 9th Age is definitely the new miscast table. Now you can use 2-3 Power dice to cast some spells with your general without risking to lose him after a bad luck miscast.
    • Raistlin wrote:

Vampire knights were great, maybe even a bit too good for what they cost.

I do not agree, they have Frenzy and just 2+ armor, which is absurd. A Knight Templar loses his armor when he becomes a Knight Templar vampire?

The bloody dragons are not mindless murderers, as the followers of Khorne (Even they have lost the Frenzy), they are martial artists who follow a strict code of temperance. The elite of the elite. Not berserkers.

Templars with a carriage? I´ts a joke. First repair the undead cavalry to be playable, before making bizarre things.
      "That your sword be your only truth, that death be your only answer, and your search be for anything other than turn you into more than you already are"

Abhorash

Army Support - VC
    • The Knights maybe have only 2+ armor, but they also have 2 Lp now, and with Kg 5, S5, T 4, I5 and 3 Attacks they are extremely strong.
      With the chariot as it is now they even have Kg 6, which is the same Kg as some Lords have and they are still only elite. I don't see any problems with them.
      If you compare them to an empire captain with the same equipment the vampires have 1 point strength more and cost 28 points less, same kg, same I, same Lp, same T, only differences are that the vampires have frenzy and one point ld less. At the moment they are definitely the cavalry with the best stats in the game, followed by chaos knights.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Raistlin ().

• they are unstable though. Need to try it to see if they are worth the slot now.

Slim Layout Coordinator

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
    • I tried blood drake chariot last night and I think the same as Raistlin. They should get strength 5 for the chariot, halberds for the crew and maybe a 10-15 point increase. Besides this, I think other bloodline chariot choices are way too expensive for a 4 wound chariot that only provides 4 attacks and 6" auras. I would supress the auras and make them target one unit within 12" or something like that, otherwise we are forced to keep our units in a tight block, limiting our move choices.

I liked the previous version more, I had more fun thinking lists due to its higher variability.
    • Personally I like that vampire chariots are specialty items that also happen to be a charriot. If "chariot" is the main purpose of the unit then it feels bland an inappropriate, which is one of the reasons the latest renditions of the black coach fell so flat.

When the chariots only purpose is to be awesome at killing stuff it doesn't feel "undeadish" to me.
      -Count Vlad von Carstein
    • agorista wrote:

Vampire knights have (without a compelling reason) frenzy ¡and only LD7!, while Vampiric Monstrosities have (properly) frenzy and LD8.

How can this be explained?
      Wrong forum --> conceptual feedback.
      Fantasy Battles: The 9th Age Founding Member

ETC 2012 2nd Place
      ETC 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016 & 2017 Participant

Rules Questions?
      Moderator Requests
    • played against EoL. Burning reapers(on foot) are worthless. Way too fragile, and no real damage potential as they are too slow to reaper around. I doubt I'll use them again. Hw/shield skellies are awesome even against elf reflexes. Bat swarm is ok, would consider moving them to core, it would make them a more viable choice and make VC core more versatile and diverse. I agree with the above mentioned argument about blood drake chariot. S7 crew and S4 impact is kinda weird, S6/5 would be better. Titanic bat seems ok now, but would make it cheaper or give it the 6th wound back. Inability to shoot into cc alongside M9 (for a model of that size) is a huge nerf.

Not sure what to think of Vampire Counts. They are slightly cheaper than before ( with full eq. ofc), but their damage potential is greatly reduced. Saying this having played with Blood Drakes, makes me even more unsure. I understand that the damage output of the whole game has been scaled down, but vampire lords were always the centerpiece of the army and it's greatest damage dealers. If they don't make mayhem, no one will. Have to add that I like the direction where the bloodline rules are moving.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rokindja ().