SE: OLD-v0.8 playtesting feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SE: OLD-v0.8 playtesting feedback

Hello to all Elves of Nature followers and detractors.
      The intention of this post is to have a ordered, easy-to-read list of all your thoughts about the Elves of Nature book, balance, strength and weaknesses acquired trough playtesting.
      First of all I have to ask you to be polite (don't think that will be a problem) and specially ordered, try to mantain your post spaced, formated and clean.
      After that this post is for only playtesting feedback, no battle reports or other non-playtested opinions.

That said you are all welcome on the subforum, so let's fill it!

Here is what we are looking for with regards to feedback:

Size of GameLength of Game (time).
      Player Experience LevelOpponent Experience Level
      # of Game With Current Draft# of Game with Current Draft
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)

Here is a description of the possible responses for "Experience Level" above. Please be honest in your assessment of your skills: there is no shame in being a casual player, and we are trying to design a game that will appeal to both Casual and Tournament players alike.

Self-Reported ExperienceDescription
      Casual<2 years Experience. Does not participate in tournaments.
      Intermediate2-5 years Experience. Sometimes participates in tournaments.
      Expert5+ years Experience. Familiar with ETC/Swedish comps. Regularly participates in tournaments.
      Tournament5+ years Experience. Places at local tournaments. Experience in ETC or Master's-level tournaments.

Please include a copy of both your and your opponent's list. We do not need every detail: units, their numbers, and any particularly new magic items or configurations you were testing will suffice.

LordsHeroesCoreSpecialRareLordsHeroesCoreSpecialRare
      Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1
      Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2
      Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3
      Choice 4Choice 4Choice 4
      Choice 5Choice 5Choice 5

Please then include a short description of the game, the outcome, and what your and your opponent's thoughts were. If you feel anything needs tuning, please leave it here. Important: A single game does not determine an item's / unit's power level. Please test multiple times, in multiple configurations before suggesting feedback that xyz needs a redesign.
    • Have played a game with the 0.7 lists yesterday, i took

A level 4 with beasts, on unicorn :D
      2 drayd pattrons (gave them lore of beasts option)
      3X drayds
      2X 10 archers with the poison arrow
      2X7 blade dancers
      2X8 path finders
      3 eagle riders (or as close i can remember )

Played against en empire full knight list with a few war machines and magic tools

Level 4 had the Beans to give me 4 forests, in combination with Drayds and 3X wild form is insane:)
      I won the game with about 700 points, the pathfinders taking down the steam tank, in a whip
      Eagle riders hardly ever took a single shot, they just want to fight,
      Blade dancers, preformed well, but still lack something…
      Drayds, with patron and wild form are BROOTAL, i think we need to find a bit more syngerys in our armies, because having a dryad patron on lore of beasts, to get Wildform a few times is just really strong.

I like the new feeling, i was looking for favorable combats, instead of running and shooting all the time
    • PrinceCharming wrote:

Have played a game with the 0.7 lists yesterday, i took

A level 4 with beasts, on unicorn :D
      2 drayd pattrons (gave them lore of beasts option)
      3X drayds
      2X 10 archers with the poison arrow
      2X7 blade dancers
      2X8 path finders
      3 eagle riders (or as close i can remember )

Played against en empire full knight list with a few war machines and magic tools

Level 4 had the Beans to give me 4 forests, in combination with Drayds and 3X wild form is insane:)
      I won the game with about 700 points, the pathfinders taking down the steam tank, in a whip
      Eagle riders hardly ever took a single shot, they just want to fight,
      Blade dancers, preformed well, but still lack something…
      Drayds, with patron and wild form are BROOTAL, i think we need to find a bit more syngerys in our armies, because having a dryad patron on lore of beasts, to get Wildform a few times is just really strong.

I like the new feeling, i was looking for favorable combats, instead of running and shooting all the time
      Errm... I don't want to be the one to break it to you, but... Dryad Patrons must pick path of life.

Sorry.

On a brighter note, I tried 0.7.1 EoN yesterday too. Not really a fair fight, so I can only give superficial feedback.

My impresssion was that volley fire + greater range + plenty of skirmishers + free forest give EoN their shooting superiority. The -1 from forest and the -1 from skirmishers means the enemy is at a fairly big penalty to hit, while you are for the most part firing at basic 3+/4+.

Also, Wild Riders are alive and well, thank you. I'm not really sure the upgrades are worth it, though.
    • Copy paste from EoL Feedback.

Game yesterday: small fun tourney so we only had 48x48 space.

EoL vs EoN

EoN first Turn:
      1 Lord on Dear
      1 Mage level 1
      1 Mage level 2
      3x 8 Dyrads
      2x 10 archer
      2x 6 Pathmaster
      20 Blade (something )

EoL
      BSB on Chariot
      L4 mage
      12x SH
      5X Reaver
      2x5 SM
      10 SM
      15 LG
      Fire pheonix

Infos:
      Battle Chronicler is really an art... hard to use imo or lets say it takes some time
      Deployment see picture:
      We played only 48x48 so my matchup was also really bad vs EoN. This means i would give my SM a 80% effiency right from the start. They are bad vs good shooting and i had no place.

Magic overall:
      Untill last turn magic was just buffing units! I wont describe it. Path of white magic is quite interessting with the new attribute! I liked it.
      Magic disspell scroll still auto disspells mmh dont know if this is good.

Game:
      Turn 1:
      EoN:
      move his hero up and his dryads on the flank. Shoot my Reavers which had vanguard what was okay because i wanted them to die so my SM could double charge his dryads. 1 got panic -> BSB is not there....
      Other SM got shoot down by core units with the same stats and equipment but hold. 2 models left

EoL:
      I move up almost straight and get my SM back to game.
      SH are no in charge position with pheonix pressuring his backline. Chariot is on the flank (bad decision to have your BSB on the flank )

Turn 2:
      EoN:
      He shoots and gets some SH and some wounds on my pheonix.
      EoN charge my 2 SM with his dryads1. He killed my unit but i also killed 2 dyrads. They are okay at melee now.
      His pathfinder try to block my pheonix while his dyrads2 stay direct in front of my SH

EoL:
      i declare charge with Pheonix and SH on his blocking Dyrads2. My SM declare a charge on his Pathfinder which flee. My chariot also declare a charge on his fleeing Pathfinder.
      He was luckly or perhaps genius. His Pathfinder run through a building and got behind it while only loosing 1. -> Out of range for my chariot.
      Pheonix overruns so i block his hero if he wants to charge my flank. Rest stands still

Turn 3:
      EoN:
      Again shoot dmg
      His hero now charges my pheonix. I dont want to loose him so i flee. He charges right into the flank of my SH (My thoughts: Casulties expected. Steadfest because of more ranks). Everything worked liked i thought and bam i roll double 6 on moral WUHU. Wait where is my BSB? Ah yes on the useless flank :P.
      So my fault. Expected LD 10 bubble is enough ... yeah bad luck
      He overruns and kills them

EDIT: Heros on chariots are really nice now! They deal a lot of dmg for 140points and dont loose their 2 normal elfes. I like this. If it would loose the normal elfes it could be not good enough.

EoL:
      I Kill his blocking Dyrads who already got a beating from my SM with my LG and reform
      Chariot charges his pathfinder on the right flank and kills them.
      Pheonix regroups

Turn 4:
      EoN:
      His hero moves back.
      And he killes my Pheonix
      He shotos 2 wounds on my BSB chariot but he survives

EoL:
      I kill 6 pathfinder with Soul Quench. Unit down
      SM charge his big block to get some points and kills 7 of his guys and only 1 wound on his mage ...:/ hoped for 2 wounds... yeah 1 on dmg table.. but their dmg output is hard vs T3! Like them.
      They got to strike first because of Hand of Glory! This spell really helped me here! He doenst want to ban it but if he doenst i get to dispell every Path of Nature spell he used before
      Chariot overruns out of table and cant die anymore lucky

Pheonix reborns trololol (but it still gives VP for him i only get a summoned pheonix)

Turn 5 last round:
      EoN:
      Try to shoot my WL with magic arrows to get 50% of VP -> not enough (BotWD 3+ is okay now! Way better as before!)

EoL:
      My lG moves up to get some points with magic from him but i missmoved by 1 inch because i was greedy and didnt got the juice big elite infantry block with mage of him because no sight (i was just stupied).... this lost me the game because i moved to fast and only killed his archer with the other mage and not his l2 mage and his elite block!
      Soul Quench with 4d6 hurts
      Other units had no target

End:
      EoN 1014 points
      EoL about 600? Dont know anymore.
      Overall if i had killed his elite unit it would be 1014/950 ..:(

Facts:
      Does a Pheonix gives VP if he comes back?
      SW are useless at range but they want to stay at range because of longbows and only T3/S3. They die to S3 arrows or just everything ... CC is quite okay. Could still need some help.
      White magic is nice! I would like to see more range on all spells! SQ with 18+ is a joke imo.
      L4 mage too expensive for his stats and boni
      ---------------------------------
      Why no multi shoot for EoN?
      Removing AP on EoN arrows is good said the EoN player! Perhaps give a special arrows with AP
      He loves the new Dryads!
      ----------------------------------
      Chariot horse is quite interessting but still quite slow.
      SM die like flies through core archer. Dont know if i would use them against random enemies

overall it was a fun and balanced game. I lost because of missplay

Edit: Pheonix is missing on the screenshot. He was left of the chariot at start.
      Files
      • Capture.PNG

(783.95 kB, downloaded 7 times, last: )
      Too close to home; too lightly guarded!

• Hello,

Here are some of my comments on EoL based on the most recent report. For details, please follow the link to the blog on this website:

MSU HE - 9th Age - 2400 vs Elves of Nature - 11.10

Please, bear in mind it is the game with the use of 6.5 version of rules and army lists. I will try to follow the guidelines for feedback too:

Size of Game: 2400
      Length of Game (time). 6 hours (online)
      Player Experience Level
      Opponent Experience Level
      # of Game With Current Draft 1
      # of Game with Current Draft
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list) no
      If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list) no
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) y
      If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)

I haven't included all the answers to the above questions as I don't know them but since Eltharis was my opponent I will do my best to obtain these. I will also PM Axiem about the experience details as I have some doubts about it.

Elves of Nature - Impressions

I decided to try and provide the feedback on the army I fought against
      as I hope it will also be helpful to other teams to create the most
      balanced army books.

Eltharis based his strategy on the fact that he was sure to get 4
      forests with the special rule he had for his army and the investment in
      the Magical Beans. It happened we had even more woods for him on this
      battle field but I think it is clear one can base a strategy on such a
      safe bet. It helps defensive armies of course and uses the ability to
      have whole army with skirmishers to great effect.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with such approach. It creates a tough
      army to break through that still is not much hindered by its own units.
      At least for type of forces like mine as I don't know how hard it could
      be for the forces of different armies and approaches. It is of course
      possible, that the fact I decided to aggressively advance made my
      opponent to choose defensive stance and against another foe he would be
      more dynamic.

In any case I find it very useful for the Archers to be able to skirmish
      because they are extremely mobile as infantry and that does not affect
      their shooting abilities, provided they choose right arrows. Combination
      of quick to fire and skirmish is fantastic because it makes for 40"
      effective distance with no penalties for movement. Then cover is also
      not a protection either.

Having protection of the Bladedancers was awesome as I could not
      comfortably attack them with any unit of mine at all. At the same time
      my own shooting was limited due to skirmish + soft cover combination. It
      required indirect approach but still cost me a lot during the advance.
    • Length of Game (time). 3 hours
      Player Experience Level
      Opponent Experience Level Casual
      # of Game With Current Draft 1
      If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list) He pick skarsnik and gobbla (8th rules)
      If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) y

I play agains orcs.
      1 giant, 50 ng with bsb, 50 neanderorcs with a big boss, a snot pump wagon, 15 boar boyz big boys, a lv 4 orc shaman, gobla and skarnik (2000 points)

elves of nature experiences:

archers are still good, mallical arrows Works so well ( they kill a giant)
      dryads are good but we have too many skirmishers, fight agais hordes or big units is extremely hard, I kill the horde of orcs with my dryands and the ent becouse he failed his lidesrship test by one and have his bsb 5 cm far ( my oponent has to Little experience as I said) but agaist other probabliy the next turn the 14 dryads, the her and the ent would be killed.
      ent: Well balanced
      giant Eagle:ok
      Wild huntsmen: a glassy canon. well balanced
      wardances: funny, I think now we have a very interesting unit agaist elves with I6 + 2 hand wearpons but o the other hand I dont lnow if they are gonna be usefull against dwarves or well armoured tropos. ( in this battle they kill a horde of ng with the help of 3 wh). the dance of +1A, +1F worked extremely well
      Elvis steed archers: ok
      Forest guardians: I couldn´t put them on the Batlle becouse of the ability of skarnik :(
      pathfinders: they are well balanced but being masters of archery makes them a Little redundant: you always have a unit of archers with all the magical staff, I´d prefer other abilities like multiple shots 2 or armour piercing 3.

forest prince: I well protecteed agains normal tropos (HA7 hand wearpon and shield + armour of destiny) they hit you on 5s and you have 4+ and 4+. I was surprised. I kill the lonenly shaman with a good roll of hail shot, very well balanced magic ítem and extremely funny.

Path of life very usefull with our army, makes our tropos more resilient and you can regen your ents
    • Size of Game: 2400
      Length of Game (time). 15 hours (3 battles on tournament + 2 friendly games)
      Player Experience Level - 18 years of experience, ETC level (Team Poland)
      Opponent Experience Level - various
      # of Game With Current Draft 5
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) n
      If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) --

I've impression that current game is focused on CC - shooting with both war machines and BS weapons is much weaker - it looks like game is focused on getting into good CCs and boost/nerf it with magic.

WE have only 2 units that can make scenario points - archers without skirmish (worse choice) and guardians- it's rather hard to get first ones into opponent deployment zone or even half of the table, second unit is shitty - ergo it's almost certain that they've a 10% handycap.

As for WE - I've played with 2x4 level + BSB (with different lores of magic)
      16 archers, skirmish, FCG, 3x move
      8,8,9 dryads
      3x9 war dancers
      5,6,6 wild riders
      2x3 warhawks

Lord - they're ok (I really don't like the fact that they can have 1+ AS with re roll, or 5T with 2+ it's totally out of WE climate)
      Mages - ok
      Ancient treemen - shitty
      Dryad hero - easy killable - not playable
      Wardancer hero - easy killable - not playable

Archers looks so bad comparing to dryads - simple S3 shot without any special rules, arrows are poor - 1 unit in skirmish it's a nice change
      Wardancers - 12 points for model with option of 3A S4 AP with 6WS and I and +1 to hit - they're must have (I think they should cost more)
      Wild riders - with all changes they cost ok
      Treekin - shitty
      Warhawks - at first they were too good, with 55 points it's ok.
      Ways - poor choice of arrows, small units - no points to take them at all (looking at HE army book draft 1.0 I would kill for a unit like shadow warriors- BS5, scout, poison for 13 points - even with 24" range they're awesome)
      Treemen - shitty
      Sisters - shitty

TLDR version:

Too much CC - there's no balance, no real choice, CC is simply so much better than shooting. It makes the game poorer, more limited.
      Team Poland WE Player 2015
      Team Poland SE Player 2016
      Team Poland SE Player 2017
      Team Poland Square Elves Player 2018
      Length of Game (time). 3 hours
      Player Experience Level - 10 years of experience, expert
      Opponent Experience Level - expert
      # of Game With Current Draft 5
      If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) y

WE have only 2 units that can make scenario points - archers without skirmish (worse choice) and guardians- it's rather hard to get first ones into opponent deployment zone or even half of the table, second unit is shitty - ergo it's almost certain that they've a 10% handycap.

My list - WE

High Enchantress, Heavens (0,2,3,4); MR3, Dispel Scroll
      Enchantress, Metal (2,6), Loremaster Book
      BSB, Hail Shot, Banner of Speed

16 Archers, Skirmish, Poison Shot, Champion
      2x6 Horse Archers, Poison
      2x6 Horse Archers, AP(3)
      7 Wild Huntsman, Champion
      2x10 Wardancers, Champion
      2x7 Pathfinders
      Treant
      Eagle

Opponent List - Deamons (khorne)

Greater Deamon of Wrath
      Harbinger of Wrath, BSB, Chariot
      Harbinger of Wrath, Juggernout

25 Deamons of Wrath
      22 Deamons of Wrath, Fire Banner
      7 Juggernout Riders, Banner of Speed
      5 Harpies of Wrath

Impression:

I tied the game with a bit of luck, the flyng grater deamon with 3+ 4++ is so difficult to kill. And the hero with MULTIPLE WOUNDS (3) ??? OP

Only one Skirmish archers unit are not good. At least 2
      Treant need 6W, but s5 is ok. A good tarpit for block of poor infantry. Maybe cost him around 180
      Wardancers against Deamons SHINE. Really a good choice, balanced aganist other kind of units. Maybe addd a Parry dance. Give them Standard bearer to personalise the units
      Pathfinders: 5-10 unit size please. I like the Magic arrow options, but need WS5 and AP (1) on their longbows.
      Wild Huntsman good as ever, but they soffer A LOT striking at Ini, maybe drop 2-3 points.

Lord imho is not palyable. Tried him with glade bow but Meh, so many points and no really impact on the game.
      A metal mage is really usful in this army. Heavens is meh, good combos but nothing special.

BIG PROBLEM: NO SCORING UNIT. Is a 240 points handicap every game. Change that silly rule please

I like the mix beetwen Shot (still too weak) and CC (still too weak, except wardancers). BUT WE must shot well. If not, I don’t like them. That’s the core of our Army, you can’t take away.

The post was edited 1 time, last by albertoalter ().

Length of Game (time). 9 hours (3 battles on tournament)
      Player Experience Level - 18 years of experience, ETC level (Team Poland)
      Opponent Experience Level - various up to ETC level
      # of Game With Current Draft 8
      If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) --

3 games tournament.
      This time monster truck was on the shop:

2 lords on deers (first with S7, and second with 7A with PoS, both 2+ AS) BSB with holy attacks banner, 4th level life
      3x8 dryads, 10 GR, 5 GR
      7 Wilds
      3 Hawks
      2 Treants

Good things:
      - nice to have heavy hitters in WE
      - T5 for lords is a nice thing

Opportunities ;):
      - cavalery loosing free reform when heroes joins but still doesn't have ranks (please correct me if I'm wrong here)
      - again big problem with scoring units - it's just handicap

General thoughts after games:
      - scoring system - getting minus points might be frustrating for beginners - finishing tournaments with minus points
      - parry - shield and hand weapon is just too powerfull - it's like mark of nurgle for everyone which was OP...

ONE MORE OUTCOME - I'VE PLAYED SECOND TOURNAMENT, IN DIFFERENT CITY AND I'VE NOTICED THAT LITERALLY NO ONE WAS PLAYING SHOOTING BASED ROSTER - EVERYTHING WAS FOCUSED ON CC BOOSTED WITH MAGIC...
      Team Poland WE Player 2015
      Team Poland SE Player 2016
      Team Poland SE Player 2017
      Team Poland Square Elves Player 2018

The post was edited 2 times, last by Laik ().

Length of Game (time). 2 hours
      Player Experience Level - 2 Years
      Opponent Experience Level - 20+ Years, multiple GTs and major US tournies.
      # of Game With Current Draft First
      # of Game with Current Draft First
      If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) n

So I got to play with my Sylvan Elves and the pre-Beta and my business partner and close friend got his Undying Dynasties... And it went down something like this:

I played:
      High Enchantress, Lvl 3 Beasts, Dispel Scroll, Acorn, Horse (in Sister Bunker)
      Dryad Matron, Lvl 1 Beasts (in Dryads)
      Dryad Matron, Lvl 1 Beasts (in Dryads)

20x Forest Guardians with GW and Banner
      20x Forest Guardians with GW and Banner
      9x Dryads
      9x Dryads
      10x Elvish Archers with Poison
      10x Elvish Archers with Poison

5x Bladedancers
      5x Bladedancers
      6x Wildriders with Banner
      6x Wildriders with Banner
      1x Eagle with AP1
      1x Eagle with AP1

5x Sisters with Music
      8x Pathfinders
      8x Pathfinders

He played (forgive me i don't know the new names for this army):
      Tomb King with AoD (in 19x Tomb Guard)
      Lord Priest lvl 3 Sands with ToSS (in 40x Skeleton Archers)
      Hero Priest lvl 1 Sands with new Ark Mount (in 15x Tomb Guard)

40x Skeleton Archers w FC
      3x Chariot
      3x Chariot
      5x Light Cav

19x Tomb Guard w FC
      15x Tomb Guard w FC
      3x NecroKnights
      3x Stalkers
      1x Scorpian

1x Casket
      1x Casket

I really wish I wrote notes so I could do a play by play, but basically this was not fair. He conceded at the top of 5 because he knew he'd have been tabled by the end of 6 and just didn't want to go through the motions.

Turn 1 he focused fire on my Wild Riders took 1 unit off, and 2 of the other 6, moved some stuff forward but not too far, not far enough for me to make any charges T1. My T1 I poisoned off both caskets, they went boom and took a few models from some Tomb Guard and wounded a Chariot.

Turn 2 he focused on my archers, took a few off of each unit, charged 1 unit of pathfinders with 3x chariot, bye bye pathfinders, charged the otherunit of pathfinders with his NecroKnights. They broke and he over ran into my elvish archer unit. His Scorpian and Stalkers come up from Sands and we start to dance. My T2 my forest guardians with GWs flank his NecroKnights, bye bye NecroKnights, my Dryads charge his 3x Chariot. Dryads make light work of t4 thanks to hatred.. Both 5x units of Bladedancers multi charge the lvl1 on the Ark (1 unit only has 2 left) the 5x does +1 attack dance, the 2x does no ranks dance, I put 3 wounds on the character, lose by 1 and don't break.

Turn 3 he shoots unengaged dryads and wipes my bladedancers but not before they could finish off his lvl1. He re-positions everything for oncoming charges I have set up that cannot be avoided. I charge with FG w GW into Stalkers, and the FG w GW that finished off the NecroKnights into Tomb Guard with King, I also charge 4x Wild Riders into 5x light cav. I annihilate all 3 units.

Turn 4 more of the same

Turn 5 over...

Thoughts:

We both agreed that 2 Attacks with GW core is insane, as a Sylvan Elf player I will take it all day and be thankful that I have it, but it is a bit OP. I thought that Casket shooting was insane, I don't like 3d6 and if it's gonna be that high I think there should be a chance that it misses, I know that doesn't make any sense with the fluff... Of course that's why I take 36 poison shots... war machines. I don't have any so neither can you Also theVolley FIre rule seems to be a bit OP. 40 shots needing 5s to hit no matter what got a little out of hand. Maybe Volley only opens it up to the 3rd rank but be the full 3rd rank instead of half?

Overall Dryads rock, thanks for S4. FG w GW are OP at A2, Wild Riders are overpriced. Casket needs a way to miss.
      ~ I got drops for days!!!