Getting Hate out of the System: Food for Thought for Those Embittered at Games Workshop

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AoS made me...lets say... upset ;).

We'll go with that.

That said, our local GW has been pretty cool with 9th- lets us play as long as we use GW models. This is fine, as most of my armies are GW... same with many of our local players.

We are seeing a trend of other mini companies becoming the dominant make-up of some newer players' armies, but that's fine, we have a great FLGS to frequent.

GW, in all likelihood, used portions of AoS to plan out how to revamp WH40k (the money maker). And that's fine. It's a strong business decision, their profits aren't looking too shabby from the latest dividend paid and their customer service has gotten better. Also, the "Start collecting" boxes have pretty good value.

I have no ill will towards GeeDubs- we just went in different directions. All the best to them- the more miniature gamers around, the better... and GW minis are a fantastic gateway drug.
    Daemon Legions Player and 9th Age Staffer
  • KeyserSoze wrote:

Tbh I've found many of their latest releases fitting for my current armies. And their starter boxes have a good price for what you get.
    And if at some point i decide to play a couple games of aos, i dont have to get new stuff; they're already there ;)
    if you want to have a chance at winning, you have to buy the books to get the special rules that give you an advantage. good luck playing with your old army against someone using sigmarine codex.
  • SkargitCrookfang wrote:

AoS made me...lets say... upset ;).

We'll go with that.

That said, our local GW has been pretty cool with 9th- lets us play as long as we use GW models. This is fine, as most of my armies are GW... same with many of our local players.

We are seeing a trend of other mini companies becoming the dominant make-up of some newer players' armies, but that's fine, we have a great FLGS to frequent.

GW, in all likelihood, used portions of AoS to plan out how to revamp WH40k (the money maker). And that's fine. It's a strong business decision, their profits aren't looking too shabby from the latest dividend paid and their customer service has gotten better. Also, the "Start collecting" boxes have pretty good value.

I have no ill will towards GeeDubs- we just went in different directions. All the best to them- the more miniature gamers around, the better... and GW minis are a fantastic gateway drug.
    Our local gw store does not let us play anything but AoS or 40k, I asked if we could play T9A, they said no. I don't bother going there anymore because there are no chairs, only two tables and you have to play on that terrible plastic citadel board with only citadel terrain. Plus you're only allowed GW models and wysiwyg is enforced.
  • Morgan_Treeman wrote:

Our local gw store does not let us play anything but AoS or 40k, I asked if we could play T9A, they said no. I don't bother going there anymore because there are no chairs, only two tables and you have to play on that terrible plastic citadel board with only citadel terrain. Plus you're only allowed GW models and wysiwyg is enforced.
    Ick. It's like they don't want customers. That sounds awful.
  • alltaken wrote:

Its funny how people still think GW owes them something. They owe us nothing, not a single thing.
    They sold you minis and a game system, you enjoyed them and you still can. It's a company and they weren't making money out of it. There's a point where you just gotta show maturity and deal with the heart break.
    Of course they owe us a lot of things. Like a TV series i watch every week owes me something. Like a music band which I bought CD's or concert tikets owes me something.

Befause they thought they don't own us something, wfb stoped making profit. And that's because nowadays the people think than companies objective is making profit. And that is false.
  • Sad part is, they probably would have seen a REALLY big surge in Fantasy profits if they'd

A) Listened to the community
    B) Waited for Warhammer Total War to grow interest in their game (From what I understand, Warhammer 40k saw a major influx of players thanks to Dawn of War)
    My army has rocks, papers, and scissors. The reason you lost this war is that you thought we were playing checkers at every battle. - Anon. Highborn Elf Prince.
    Highborn Master of the Infantry and aspiring Equitaininan Champion of the Lady.

Playtester

DL Army Community Support

• Manxol wrote:

alltaken wrote:

Its funny how people still think GW owes them something. They owe us nothing, not a single thing.
    They sold you minis and a game system, you enjoyed them and you still can. It's a company and they weren't making money out of it. There's a point where you just gotta show maturity and deal with the heart break.
    Of course they owe us a lot of things. Like a TV series i watch every week owes me something. Like a music band which I bought CD's or concert tikets owes me something.
    Befause they thought they don't own us something, wfb stoped making profit. And that's because nowadays the people think than companies objective is making profit. And that is false.
    Sorry, no ones owes you anything. The show only owes you as long as it broadcasts, after that nothing.
    They gave you the closure of Warhammer Fantasy Batles. That's all you get.

What you think people owe you is your sense of entitlement.
  • GW does owe us something pursuant to the laws and trade policies legally set forth within those countries they distribute their product within.

See the current 62.5 Million dollar law suit regarding their price fixing, and violation of RICO. Coinciding a Criminal Investigation.

Complaints there in are many and you may be surprised to learn the cost of a 1" tall figure made through plastic mold injection is confirmed as $0.03 per.

I do not take personal issue with GW ending support for sold product

I do not take personal issue with the abuses of others IP (Starship Troopers, Alien, Lord of the Rings, Eldar, Battle-Tech)

I do find GW actions to be highly distasteful. These actions were done with intent to drive sales in a manor abusive toward their market by which they betrayed consumer trust.

I truly hope the filed lawsuit against GW is completely successful as it contends that GW IP is built on stolen ideas and must be released to Public Domain.

The post was edited 2 times, last by echoctrl ().

• @alltaken they can disclose their product. But not in that way. People has spend so much money, time and ilusions to get that end.

A TV series can end. But if it ian't a proper End, it had failed it's viewers. In that regards, we deserved a proper end to WH and a proper continuation in the new AoS.

We got neither one or the other. So GW still owes us that proper end abd succesor of WH. Something it will never do.
  • Manxol wrote:

@alltaken they can disclose their product. But not in that way. People has spend so much money, time and ilusions to get that end.

A TV series can end. But if it ian't a proper End, it had failed it's viewers. In that regards, we deserved a proper end to WH and a proper continuation in the new AoS.

We got neither one or the other. So GW still owes us that proper end abd succesor of WH. Something it will never do.
    A TV series failing its end is just that, a bad ended series. They owe you nothing for it, most of the times you didnt pay money for a specific series, but payed money for access to entertainment channels, so your monetary inversion is up to you.

Have you read Gaiman's article called "G. R. R. Martin is not your b*tch" it has some parralels here.

Your expectations are the matter here. AoS is a wargame set in the continuation of the story left behind.
    It is the successor of WFB, you don't like it, but a heck of a lot of people do, so the problem is yours, just as the change from 1.1 to 1.3 for all those who left 9th age with those changes.

You are not entitled to anything else, your emotional heart break of the situation is up to you to handle.
  • echoctrl wrote:

GW does owe us something pursuant to the laws and trade policies legally set forth within those countries they distribute their product within.

See the current 62.5 Million dollar law suit regarding their price fixing, and violation of RICO. Coinciding a Criminal Investigation.

Complaints there in are many and you may be surprised to learn the cost of a 1" tall figure made through plastic mold injection is confirmed as $0.03 per.

I do not take personal issue with GW ending support for sold product

I do not take personal issue with the abuses of others IP (Starship Troopers, Alien, Lord of the Rings, Eldar, Battle-Tech)

I do find GW actions to be highly distasteful. These actions were done with intent to drive sales in a manor abusive toward their market by which they betrayed consumer trust.

I truly hope the filed lawsuit against GW is completely successful as it contends that GW IP is built on stolen ideas and must be released to Public Domain.
    This makes absolute sense because it pertains to laws and pricing regulations which is another manner altogether.

Also your statement is great because you state that you dislike what they done to you, which most of us do. But there is no toxic resentment written in every word you write about GW, which is what this topic mostly addresses, people need to get over their buthurt against GW
  • alltaken wrote:

This makes absolute sense because it pertains to laws and pricing regulations which is another manner altogether.
    Also your statement is great because you state that you dislike what they done to you, which most of us do. But there is no toxic resentment written in every word you write about GW, which is what this topic mostly addresses, people need to get over their buthurt against GW
    They still make great looking models

Why should I take it personally, GW doesn't even know I exist. That goes for most of us around here.
  • echoctrl wrote:

alltaken wrote:

They still make great looking models
    Why should I take it personally, GW doesn't even know I exist. That goes for most of us around here.
    I'd say that it is more that they make great quality models. As to how they look, well, that's a matter of personal preference.

My friend and I were taking a look at the new stock of GW models when last we played. The overwhelming opinion was "that looks really silly".
  • lawgnome wrote:

echoctrl wrote:

alltaken wrote:

They still make great looking modelsWhy should I take it personally, GW doesn't even know I exist. That goes for most of us around here.
    I'd say that it is more that they make great quality models. As to how they look, well, that's a matter of personal preference.
    My friend and I were taking a look at the new stock of GW models when last we played. The overwhelming opinion was "that looks really silly".
    Good Point Lawgnome many of the new fantasy models are just bigger. The manufacturing quality is good, the amount of detail is good what those add up to is personal prefernce
  • Morgan_Treeman wrote:

if you want to have a chance at winning, you have to buy the books to get the special rules that give you an advantage. good luck playing with your old army against someone using sigmarine codex.
    Still the cost is nowhere near to that of starting a war game from the beginning. And for this example I mostly play in friendly combats so I can borrow the new rules or even use light proxies.

Army Design Team

Rules Clarification

Lexicon Team

Oceanborn