Getting Hate out of the System: Food for Thought for Those Embittered at Games Workshop

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GW is advertising hard new TW2:WFB. On their FB AoS page they promoted it as campaign to save the world. Asked them in comment what's the point of doing a campaign 'to save world' which is already dead by GW own fluff. Got answer from AoS themselves: that makes TW2:WFB series exactly what other games from the TW series are: historical....
    I am filthy casual
  • Fantasy can obviously be played in different eras, as a friend of mine pointed out while the whole End Times affair unfolded. GW can easily revisit WHFB and still let the End Times stand as final. They could even milk the Sundering and historic Warhammer fantasy stuff with miniatures, if they wish to.

After all, most in the know think the First Age in Middle-Earth is way more epic than subsequent ages, and knowing the conclusion of the First Age does not diminish its attraction.
  • JimMorr wrote:

GW is advertising hard new TW2:WFB. On their FB AoS page they promoted it as campaign to save the world. Asked them in comment what's the point of doing a campaign 'to save world' which is already dead by GW own fluff. Got answer from AoS themselves: that makes TW2:WFB series exactly what other games from the TW series are: historical....
    ?( Huh? WHTW is now nothing more than historical???

Wait, so GW can't continue the story of the Old World with Total War? What does the ending of the miniature wargame have to do with the video game??? What does the ending of the mini. game have to with The Black Library which still continues the story of the Old World?

Nothing!

So by your logic I can't play WH TW2 as a fantasy game because the mini. game lore is "officially" dead? Do you realize how cynical that is?

The Old World didn't go anywhere! It's still in every edition of Warhammer on every gamer's shelf everywhere.

For the life of me I do not understand this all or nothing mindset with regard to a fantasy fiction setting created by a gaming company, a setting which is every bit alive and well if you let it be.
    There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!
  • Baranovich wrote:

So by your logic I can't play WH TW2 as a fantasy game because the mini. game lore is "officially" dead? Do you realize how cynical that is?
    Cynical is invalidating 20 years old collections of models of your customers and then after two years advertising video game based on those models and demanding cash from people who you just kicked hard, playing on their nostalgia...
    I am filthy casual
  • JimMorr wrote:

Baranovich wrote:

Cynical is invalidating 20 years old collections of models of your customers and then after two years advertising video game based on those models and demanding cash from people who you just kicked hard, playing on their nostalgia...
    Oh, come on! This is Games Workshop! They're not called the Evil Empire for nothing. If they can find a way to screw their loyal customers, they will. They've been doing it for so long I wonder why people even seem surprised by it. 8-)
  • JimMorr wrote:

Target groups of these 2 products are not exactly the same... They have some customers in common, but TW release shows there's a different direction.

Army Design Team

Rules Clarification

Lexicon Team

Oceanborn

• Again, isn't that normal? They found a new way attract some new customers into learning their brand through a succesful video game series. Just like the did with board games and LCGs, some of which had tremendous success.

I may not like myself as well, but that's marketing basics, isn't it?

Army Design Team

Rules Clarification

Lexicon Team

Oceanborn

• I was embittered and angry at GW when AoS came out; but that's because I wanted another edition of the game I loved and not the game they provided - then T9a came along and saved my hobby.
    GW is just a company trying to make money; which I give them from time to time since they make fantastic miniatures, don't hate the player-hate the game :P

On a sidenote I actually learned English by reading 2ed WFB rulebook translating one sentence at a time so I could play the game and know the rules. Oh yeah and I've had thousands of hours of fun and gotten new friends thanks to the game.

So thankful for the GW that was and uninterested in the GW that is sums it up for me.
  • As the discussion is going circles about whether GW owes something and whether the are free to change or not - and whether X-Wing is more money making etc. from my point the invested time is missing.

Would any of us have spend the money on the minis if they would know that the game for this minis will end in a year ? Perhaps yes.
    Would you have spend the nights glueing these together to play ? Probably yes.
    Would you have spend endless hours painting 30 or 50 times the same modell knowing it will be discontinued ? I am sure I would not have done that. (Instead I would have painted only some of the cool heroes).

Here the broken promise of GW is the point - not that they make money. If GW would have been honest from the beginning or at least when starting 8th I would be very fine with them. So they are like a ex girlfriend that made love to your best friend - she is allowed to do that but it is not the good attitude .

For me this happened twice (Epic and Warhammer) so I could not more agree to Eisenhans:

Eisenhans wrote:

So thankful for the GW that was and uninterested in the GW that is sums it up for me.