For Dice We Must!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• For Dice We Must!

After a long time I decided to start my very own blog. Let's see how it develops.

For those not wanting to know about myself, skip this intro post, it has no hobby related stuff...real posts may come ^^

Preface:

Display Spoiler

So after way too much time wanting to have my own blog, I’ve finally decided to take the step and start writing something. To begin with, I’m shooting a short introduction of myself:

My name is Jesús Casas, and I’m a Spanish 26 y.o. geek. I started in this thing of the miniatures at the beginning of 6th edition of WHFB (so ‘round the year 2000, yes, with 9 years). Since the very beginning I played Orcs and Goblins, and has been the only army I’ve played since then. But truth be told I was never really into competitive play. In fact, I just used to play with a small group of Friends during 3 or 4 weeks in the summer months. So I played some 10 games in 4 weeks, which means the 10 games I played along the whole year. What did I do during the rest of the year? Painting. But also don’t expect a whole painted army, or anything similar, no way. I just loved high quality painting, and almost only painted characters, since those are the ones that allow you to get better results. But also that meant that I needed a lot of time to paint each miniature (mostly at the beginning), resulting in no more than 10/15 miniatures painted a year. I started going to painting courses and contest at the age of 11 or 12, and have some youngblood prizes from this time. And time went by between few games, painting contests and painting commissions.

So that’s the way the hobby developed for me for fifteen long years. Until something catastrophic happened. The Company that I worshiped for all that time decided to betray me and stabbed me in the back with a joke of a game designed to sell dolls to little kids. I mean, the idea behind WHFB was selling dolls to little kids, but to me AoS felt like going way too far. The day the AoS rulebook went out I fully read it (in 3 minutes). Completely astonished with what I was seeing I decided to read it again, just in case. This time it took me up to 5 minutes. Ten minutes later I was diving through the internet in search for an alternate game. And there I found a complete universe of unknown rulings, caps, balance patches, and the like. After all that time, I heard (well, read) for the first time of ETC and Swedish Comp, and a few days after of T9A. And it was magic.

So I decided to try to help as much as possible with it. Since I had not much experience with competitive gaming (not much?, not at all I’d say!) I did what I knew how to do. English and rule understanding. So I started translating the first T9A documents for my playing group, then for the whole Spanish community, then moderating the Spanish subforum, then moderating the whole forum, and there is where I am right now. Where will the future take me in this adventure? No idea.

But now I decided to do something new: a blog!. I always wanted to start a painting blog with my miniatures, commissions, tutorials and the like, but never had the time, or guts, or proper camera to do so. Now I don’t have the time nor the camera, but for some reason I found the guts…let’s see if they last

Aaaand after all this absolutely pointless prattle, what can one expect from the blog? Well, my main idea was to include in it battle reports, and painting processes, and maybe a few hobby tutorials in case there is enough popular request. I may write a lot about my battles as long as I have them, with previous thoughts, during thoughts and afterthoughts. So if you are a fan of long long walls of text, this is clearly your place to dwell.

I will for sure appreciate any input you could give me. If anybody has any question, petition, interest in something, please, ask. Also, writing all this bulls**t takes a lot of time, so comments, likes and all that stuff will clearly show me if I’m in the good path, or if I’m just stupidly losing my precious time : )

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

Marathon Finiser :D

My unupdated CMON gallery X/ ; I accept painting commissions. If you want me paint something for you, just PM!
      Seriously, a blog? In this century? For Dice We Must
    • Book 1 – The Quest

And again, it starts with a story

I moved to work to Stuttgart a few months ago. After some time here, it finally looks like I’m gonna stay for quite some time, so I finally bought a miniature cabinet, and decided to give a go to the miniature collection, T9A playing and stuff. Here you can see my complete army as it is right now:

Yes, you saw it right, the cabinet is empty...well, empty, almost completely empty. ATM there are three projects for painting contests, and that’s all. So yes, wel guessed, I should fill it, but for that I’ve decided to auto impose myself a mission, a task, a duty, a quest: The Quest.

All my life I’ve accumulated piles and piles of unpainted (or even unassembled) miniatures. And just like almost everyone else in this business, I’ve promised myself lots of times to not buying anything new until all the previous stuff was painted an game-ready. And everytie I've done so, I've failed miserably. But as many of the ones which have failed in this should know, there is always hope, there are stil new opportunities to fulfil it. And destiny has given me one of those opportunities: an empty cabinet. So I’ve decided to start a new army (yes, after all this time, no more OnG), and paint it. In fact, I’ve proposed to myself four objectives, in decreasing degree of pure foolishness:

• Have a full army game-ready (e.g., HiQ painted, based, magnetized,…) for Zagreb’s 2018 ESC
      • Have a full army game-ready (…) for 2019 ESC
      • Not spending a simple penny not obtained from hobby stuff in hobby stuff
      • Not buying new units for my army until the last ones bought are game-ready (…)
      I don’t expect at all to fulfil the first bullet point. I have serious doubts of fulfilling the second bullet point. The next two can be done as long as I control my pure craving for miniatures, and I get some help from the community. The plan is to start advertising myself like crazy as a commission painter here in the Stuttgart zone (or Germany, or Europe, or wherever customers want zone), and invest the benefits from that in buying my new army. Of course, since this is my blog, expect to see the progress of the commissions, and the army growth (if there is such) on here.

What do you think, guys? Feasible? Absolutely imposible? Bets on how much will I last? Share any opinions posting in the thread, that would be realy appreciated

BTW, I forgot to mention, my new army will most likely be a WDG army (87% certainty). Highly converted, and trying to reach as many cool miniatures as possible. But I need your help to bring it to life. Will I be able to do it?

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

My unupdated CMON gallery X/ ; I accept painting commissions. If you want me paint something for you, just PM!
    • Book 2 – Shifting Tides 7

Prelude

So once again I enlisted for the infamous Shifting Tides Tournament run by @Nicreap here in the T9A forum. For those not familiar with the tournament, it is a singles tournament run via UB. So usually gets together a bunch of people from different sides of the world to play 3 games just from their homes.

I’m pretty sure some of you may not like UB at all. I’m pretty sure some of you may be regular players. I’m also pretty sure some of you may not had a single idea what UB was before I mentioned it. Well, IMO, UB is great, since it allows you to play easy games with people far away, without needing to transport all your army, take care of the miniatures and the like. In fact, allows me to play with lots of things I don’t even own, what can be great for testing, enjoying things you would surely not use, or just be a solution for naughty scrooges like me.

Additionally, UB has two more things I love: flat terrain (haters of the 2D terrain, seriously, this is great) and it makes it really easy to get battle reports, what I’ll try to use as much as possible in this blog.

So concerning the Tournament itself, it's a tournament which has already reached its 7th edition. If I’m not wrong, I’ve played in 4 of the last 6 ST tournaments, so yes, you may think is a tournament I do like taking part in. The tournament comprises three games with a two week time between them usually. So it allows the players to deeply study their opponent’s lists, something that I just love doing. This means that basically you should get three battle reports from this tournament, including all of them the pre-thoughts. Let’s see how it goes…

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• B2: ST7 – Chapter 1. The List

So after almost two years playing with a full goblin list (to great success, truth be told), I decided to finally change the chip, and go back to the good ol' boyz, and include orcs again in my army. But I wanted to keep one of the MVP’s from my gob list: the bridge trolls. To me those guys are simply ace, being the main solution to any hard unit I saw in almost every game. The main problems with trolls is that they need to be in the general’s bubble (and the general to be alive, what is not always easy), so I decided to go with the biggest Ld bubble I could imagine in an iron orc character:

The general: to me, if you go for an orc general, it has to be an Iron Orc. The general needs as survability as possible, and the option to have plate armour plus the WS7 make this guy king in that field when checking our book. I gave him a cool Ward save (4++) for the same aspect. I gave him the dragonscale helm to reach the 2+ save, and then he was almost ready to go. Then I gave him the blessed sword, nobody knows why….maybe because I hate getting 1’s to wound with S6, but men, does he really need that? BTW, did I already mentioned the wyvern?

The Cowboy: if I learned something playing with goblins is that cowboys are amazing. So having no idea if this one would work as good as the small goblin kings, I decided to add a cowboy to the mix. Of course, if you have already a wyvern, then you should get more to multiply objectives, so why not being in wyvern also. I wanted the guy to be a killing machine, so decided to make it feral (also keeps things cheaper). Additionally, he comes with a free 5++, so it’s just more things that you don’t have to pay afterwards. In order to protect him a little bit, I gave him the plates of tuktek, which result in a 4 wound T6 5++ flying beast (and a discrete 4+ AS). Okay, maybe he is not the best at the time of surviving, but now let’s check his input: axe of the aporcalypse, and tada!, we’ve got a guy that in charge (remember, flying M8, he may charge) deals 1D3 S6 impact hits, 3 poisoned WS5 S6 wyvern attacks, and at least 6 WS6 S7 attacks more…which may go up to 8 S9 attacks! I also thought on giving this guy the BSB, to make the most of the 18” bubble, but then thought that maybe a frenzied flying towering presence with just a 4+/5++ is not the best option for a BSB. Better, this way he can go solo towards the enemy and I don’t have to worry much about him

Casas wrote:

The BSB: the main problem when having two full equipped lords of fightin’ is that then I was short on points for the whole remainder of the list. Therefore my BSB was kept as cheap as possible. Goblin chief then, and with the Crown of the Cavern King, so he can give an 18” bubble (this thing is great). And finally a free shield to at least have parry. Good luck, kid!

Casas wrote:

Lords of Sneakin’ – Common goblin chief, BSB, crown of the cavern king, shield – 200

The Shaman: sorry, but if there is one thing I can’t leave home without is a wizard. So despite having no more points for characters at all I had to include one no matter what. So I went for a goblin shaman with pyro, and then checked the character points that I have left. Hmmm… I have to choose between 2 spells or 1 and the ring of fire, ahm? I chose the 2 spell option for no particular reason, but I’m still not sure if it was the best option. I also gave him the sceptre of power (never seen that thing before ) because I think it may be useful when you only have two spells, and are therefore likely to throw them with 4/5 dice just for the lolz

The Core: Moving on to the suposedly main body of the army, I decided to bring some orcs, since this is an orc army this time. I got a big bunch of common eadbashers with Spears and the +1 movement banner, so they can try to follow the pace of the rest of the army. Also added a goblin archer bunker to hide my shaman and my BSB. I used those guys in the past, and they are just too good: a lot of impassible ranks with bows and parry, at almost no cost…give me two, or thirty-one! And finally 5 boar riders to hide for the whole game and run for the objectives in the last turn. Never used those ones, so I’m just trying them out. Therefore, we get:

Casas wrote:

30xOrc ‘Eadbashers – shield, spear, C, M, S, banner of speed, common orc – 750

5xOrc boar Riders – common orc – 140

31xGoblins – bow, shield, M, common goblins – 268

The Special: first my all-time MVP unit, the bridge trolls. To me those are epic, they can hit really hard if needed, the vomit is great for high armoured units, and the combination of distracting and regeneration makes them survive way more than expected. I don’t know why people almost never take them using stone trolls instead. Ok, they die like flies to pyro, but then in combat the distracting thing is just ace! As I said, they have never let me down. And to fill the special points, some wolf riders. I usually take lots of these (up to four units sometimes), but this time I had no points left, so it had to be only one. Of course, always with shields (that 4+ is solid magic)

Casas wrote:

5xGoblin Raiders – 120

5xTrolls – bridge trolls – 462

The Monsters: and last but not least, I added what was a must in my goblin lists: the pair of gargantulas. Two more bull’s eyes to save my wyverns from harm, and a really potential killer in any case. I used to take this two with weblaunchas, but since you cannot put two in the same army anymore, I don’t do it, so both spideys can trot at the same pace. Also, I'm not playing the 'wait and shoot army' this time, so no, no weblaunchas, sire!. This one is kept really simple:

Casas wrote:

Gargantula - 480

Gargantula -480

And for the lazy readers, here is the full list:
      Display Spoiler

Lords of Fightin’– Iron Orc Warlord, general, Waaargh!, shield, wyvern, blessed sword, talisman of supreme shielding, dragonscale helm –740
      Lords of Fightin’–feral Orc Warlord, shield, wyvern, axe of the aporcalypse, plates of tuktek – 650
      Lords of Sneakin’ – Common goblin chief, BSB, crown of the cavern king, shield – 200
      Goblin witch doctorCommon goblin, pyromancy, 2 spells, sceptre of power – 210
      30xOrc ‘Eadbashers – shield, spear, C, M, S, banner of speed, common orc – 750
      5xOrc boar Riders – common orc – 140
      31xGoblins – bow, shield, M, common goblins – 268
      5xGoblin Raiders – 120
      5xTrolls – bridge trolls – 462
      Gargantula - 480
      Gargantula -480
      Total: 4500 pts

I simply love how I squeezed some categories: 1800 out of 1800 points in characters, 1340/1350 in big ‘n nasty,…

In following chapters, let’s see how the list fares

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• Marcos24 wrote:

What's the model on the right? And roughly how big is it? Like base size
      I can put pictures of the three later, but from left to right:
      • Varanguard knight
      • Full scratch ogre (~60mm high)
      • Full scratch chaos lord project (only the head is done yet, also in a bigger scale)

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• While preparing the first battle report, and due to popular request, here are some pics of the things visible in the cabinet. Pictures are not the best, but I'm still fighting with a shitty phone for them

First is a full scratch big-scale ogre (so as said before, he is about 60mm tall)

This one is printed with two colours to get a first idea of light and shadow....and has being waiting a brush for almost 2 years now :D

Second a Varanguard knight:

This one is going to be part of a four miniature display called Blood-Blight-Lust-Change. I had to create 4 models out of 3, reason why has lots of sculpted and cloned parts. This is what I have done so far of the whole display, meaning that there are still another 3 guys to do from the very beginning ^^ . OTOH, this one is some 2 or 3 hours of sculpting far from paint ready state.

The third is just the head for a full scratch chaos lord also in a bigger scale. But that one is so small, and has so many things yet that there is no point to post it yet.

So what I need now is motivation. What do you fans want me to paint first? I have plans to put some hours of work this weekend, and what you say on the comments make decide what I put my effort on.

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• Hahaha, I have a limited time to dedicate to everything in life :D

Both pieces should take a long time, but I cannot preview how much will be for each. The ogre means grabbing brushes early in anyway, so you may have convinced me

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• B2: ST7 – Chapter 4. Round I: Or how will I kill some pointy-ears

For the first round of the ST7 I was matched against @Huntsmen and his WDG, but due to some problems he had to quit the tournament. Luckily, and with just 3 days before the deadline, I was able to arrange a game with another player who was with no opponent. This was @Kopistar and his Highborn Elves.

As you will see in my future battle reports (if there are any), I usually do a lot of analysis and math before every match, specialy if it's a UB game, and I have days to prepare it. This was the case, so I went deeply through Kopistar's list. In this case, it looked like this (I hope to have all the names right):

Kopistar wrote:

Mage - General, pyromancy, ring of fire - 250
      Comander - Master of the Canreig Tower, druidism, BSB, 4 spells, book of arcane power - 570
      20xCitizen Spearmen - Standard, Musician - 300
      20xCitizen Spearmen - Musician - 280
      20xLion Guard - Musician - 520
      20xLion Guard - Musician - 520
      10xLion Guard - Skirmishers, standard, banner of becalming - 340
      Giant Eagle - 100
      Giant Eagle - 100
      Frost Phoenix - 400
      Frost Phoenix - 400
      5xQueen's Guard - Musician - 160

I don't know much about tournament meta and stuff, but at list to me this list didn't look really threatening. It also is true that I have battled several times vs HBE in previous ST tournaments, and I don't remember having problems in any of those games, so maybe is just that orcs are papery HBE scissors. Don't ask me, I don't know about that

So yes, many scoring units, 2 units of LG to kill monsters, two bunkers (or I least to me those two are just bunkers), 2 redirectors, 2 phoenixes, and cheap characters. I guess the mage is just there to have a general, since the other guy is BSB.

In anyway, I pulled out my magic excel sheet and run some numbers, to deeply analyze each unit....I simply love doing this:

The lions: I started with this guys, since to me are the real enemy on this battle. If I manage to get rid of those guys everything else should be easy. Having units of 20 guys, I was almost sure he was gonna run this guys in lines of 7 guys to increase attacks, so I make numbers having that into account. I saw that vs the 'eadbashers they were roughly tied (he kills almost 8, I kill almost 8 first round, 5 the others, but I have more guys in each unit). Against the trolls he would be able to kill 1 troll per turn while I would kill 7 or 8. My general would kill roughly 4 receiving 2 wounds, the feral would kill between 5 and 6 suffering 2 or 4 wounds, and the gargantulas would die before even striking. So I would have to keep my spiders as far from them as possible and try to get multiple charges to them. Also the problem is that they are stubborn against fear, and darn, almost my whole army causes fear!

The chickens: What I saw from my numbers is that these things don't kill realy much (just 5 attacks), but they are hard to kill due to the -1S and the 5++. So the trolls just cause them 1 to 2 wounds per turn, gargántulas 1,...my feral can get up to 3 wounds if he gets lucky with the axe, and my general can cause 2 thanks to the blessed sword. So my pre-game plan to get rid of this things: use the wyverns, since every other unit will get stuck for a while.

Citizens: just to feel safer I also checked the numbers for these guys, and they looked like almost no thread for any of my units, so not much to worry about.

And the rest of the army were redirectors or wizards (yes, the commander is not a comander, is just a BSB wizard) so I simply considered them killable as long as I could reach them.

So to sum up: kill the chickens with your wyverns, keep the spiders away from the lions and everything should be fine. Or at least those were my thoughts previously to the battle, soon you will have details of how it went

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• looks promising. I like the premath thinking. Preparing the game before the battle is one if the best things of ST since it promotes very well thought and very tactical games. I also appreciate the non full shooting and go eadbashers. Im eager to know how the battle was!
      scissors: "OMG ROCK IS SUPER OVERPOWERED! NERF IT!!" "what about paper?" "paper is fine"

Photos of models/armies from ETC 2017:

Cool models seen at ETC 2017
    • B2: ST7 - Chapter 3. Round I: Of lions and chickens

So finaly, here is the first battle report! Before going on, I have to say sorry. At the moment of playing the map I hadn't decided yet to start this blog, so I took no images. I tryed to replay afterwards the battle again with what I remembered. So there may be wrong things, weird movements, and the like, but I hope you get the idea . BTW in some turns there are two map images, the first is before combats, and the second after combats. I think battle reports are easier to see like this, so you know where the chargers move, and then where the cravens fled, and it doesn't get mixed, and units have suddenly desapeared, or moved kilometers across the battlefield

Let's see if I know how to do this

As I said, I was playing versus @Kopistar and his HBE. We played General Map 13, with refused flanks deployment and secure targets. I chose side, and situated a target in one corner between deployment zones and he placed the other in the opposite corner. I got Cascading Fire (S4 hits on base to base) and Scorching Salvo (yes!) on my shaman. He got Flaming Swords (+1 to wound) on the mage, and Master of Earth (1d6 s4), Healing Waters (reg(5+/4+)), Spirits of the Woods (being in forest) and Stone Skin (+2/+3 T) on the BSB. I should take care of Stone Skin, cause that spell destroys all my mathhammer. Also Spirits of the Woods can be nasty, or Healing Waters in the proper moment (and with the throne up)

I started deploying as always, some wolves wherever with the idea of placing them properly afterwards via vanguarding. I always do this, and just feel like a goddamm genius for doing it, but I'm pretty sure is something realy obvious, or even a big mistake. In anyway, I had to mention it. Well, so we started placing pointless unit by pointless unit until I had to put my big things (trolls, spiders and characters). At that point I decided to drop everything and ask for going second, having a +7 in the roll. Why second turn? Because he has no shooting, nor damage magic almost. And having the last turn is realy useful to get objectives, and I wanted to play with that. Additionaly, he started deploying on the back of his zone, meaning the first turn would only be getting closer, and give no advantage at all. BTW, to my surprise lions were on ranks of 5, so numbers were not as bad as I made them (and they weren't that bad already)

So after deployment the field looked roughly like this:

I forgot to place the objectives, they will be there in the following pics

I vanguarded the wolves back because I though they would be more useful in the lower part, but had to dodge the lake

T1 HBE: Easy turn he just moved everything towards me, as expected. The lions on the upper part got into the forest that would serve as home for them until the end of the game almost. I think that during magic he just casted stone skin in the lower lions (in case I went for a crazy charge with my garg), which I obviously let in. Maybe I'm wrong about this. He also shoot the trolls with the QG but I regenerate the only wound.

T1 OnG: During deployment I decided that I had place incorrectly the boars, since they should go for the lower objective. So I just turn them and wished them a good trip cross the whole battlefield. At this point I missed a musician there. The wolves kept dodging the lake, orcs moved slightly towards the upper objective covered by the feral, the goblins moved 4" and started peeping to the ruins. I was sure he would not charge me there ever: S&S and the DT tests!! What a fool I am sometimes . On the lower part everything started slowly moving towards him, leaving a 11+ or so charge from the lions. I like to leave things like this, so he can try the charge and maybe fail, or get there, but getting separated from your army, so in my turn I can hit you with everything. Again I feel as a genius just for these kind of evident things. I think I casted Cascading fire on the trolls, and the archers were unable to kill anything. And that was the end of my epic first turn

T2 HBE: He moved aggresively in the lower part, and slightly on the upper. Used an eagle to redirect one of my spiders, and took advantage of the other being looking to who knows where for who knows what reason. I think he casted again stone skin on the same lions, and shooting took a wound on my trolls

T2 OnG: Since I didn't want to go solo with the trolls towards his whole army, I decided not to charge with anything. Instead, I just placed the trolls closer, so he could get an easy charge there. I know the trolls should hold some rounds against the lions, and then I could get in other stuff to help them down. Remember, just don't let him front-charge the spiders. So I turned the idiotic spider who was looking to Teruel, and then make one of my genius movement with the other spider: hide it behind his own eagle, so I thogh he couldn't charge me with the lions....seriously how could I be so stupid :attack: . On the meantime, gobbos kept getting slowly into the ruins, and wolves and boars kept getting near. In magic I casted Cascading Fire on the trolls...now bring it on!

T3 HBE: Of course, he just had to charge something with his eagle to get a free corridor to my gargántula with the lions. I still can't get how I couldn't see that at the moment :wallbash: . And not only that, but I placed the wolves there so he could make a charge the eagle could easily survive....well played dude, well played. So, he charged the eagle against the wolves, and the lions against the upper spider. Eagle reached the objective with no problems, and the lions needed a 5, and got a 3. Fluff people, give me an orc god name to give thanks for this, please. He placed the rest of the army for a counter charge in his next turn, while on the upper part brought the chicken closer. Also used the second eagle to redirect the same gargantula. On magic he casted healing waters on the lions who failed the charge, so they got their 4+ reg. On combat he killed one wolve, but I passed my ld test with -2

T3 OnG: I charged the lions with trolls, general and spider, while the second spider charged the redirecting eagle. On the upper side of the field we just kept looking at each other with angry faces, while the boars kept coming. During magic I was able to cast a Scorching Salvo, killing some guys here and there and leaving the QG to just 1 man (or wait, woman). On the main combat, he caused a pair of wounds in the gargantula, and one on my general, and I managed to kill a big bunch of lions. He checked stubborn rerollable ld with -1 due to fear and failed! So all the prepared countercharge plan failed. I pursued with trolls and general, caught the lions and charged the lion bunker with general and mage. The gargantula turned to face the spear elves and the chicken. The other gargantula killed easy her eagle, and the wolves suffered one more drop, and for some reason killed the eagle....I didn't expect that, seriously

T4 HBE: In his turn he tried to save something charging the spear elves to the flank of my general. He was trusting in some lethal strikes to finish him. He also charged the upper phoenix against my goblins. As I said before, I was sure some S&S and DT would keep them save forever....well obviously the S&S did nothing, and the DT caused him one or two wounds, what is realy a lot. Also, in the lower corner he moved the spear elves and the phoenix in a way that I didn't want (or could not) charge him afterwards...I just can't remember. He also moved the two upper units of spearmen to help his lions. In magic he was able to cast the oaken throne and healing waters on the skirmisher lions, so he had a 4++ in there. In the chicken combat he directed all the attacks to my shaman, and then stomped some goblins. I did nothing to him, but then passed a ld6 reroll check. He saw that he was in LoS of my orcs (well, I show it to him by mistake before the combat ended :facepalm: ), and turned the phoenix to give the flank to the gobos. On the other combat, I challenged with my general, and he refused, so the BSB got out of combat (and the reroll). He atacked with all he could to my general, but didn't hurt him. I assigned 6 troll attacks to his mage expecting to kill him....yes, of course, 6 attacks on 4+ 2+ 4+...I did him two wounds, and I can consider myself lucky on that. Everything else attacked the lions, and killed some. In the end I won the combat but no idea how much. He checked steadfast with the spear elves and passed. Checked stubborn with the lions and failed . I pursued with the trolls and caught them, so there went a lot of points to my side. The general turned to better fight the spearelves

T4 OnG: In my turn I charged one spider to help the general kill those elves. The other spider and the trolls moved to try to get the phoenix, but I'm not realy sure how I placed them. I moved the feral to try to get the upper chicken in turn 5, trying to cover a possible flee of my goblins (but they would need to last at least one more turn for it to work). I moved the wolves up since I thought they were going to be more useful there in the coming turns and kept moving the boars. No magic, no shooting, combat. In the combate of my general, he attacked with all he could to him, but didn't wound him again. In response I killed so many elves I think he wasn't even steadfast anymore. I pursued and caught with the spider, and turn the general to try to get the lower phoenix. And on the other combat, he again assigned all chicken attacks to my characters, this time the BSB and killed him. Then he stomped one goblin. And a miracle happened. I checked steadfast (and passed, btw), and he mentioned that I was not even losing the combat. Three wounds on his side, I had three ranks and big flank, I was winning by two....hmmmm, onyxpected! He checked and failed, I pursued and caught him!! O man, those gobbos :gbully: . Some died due to DT, but who cares?

T5 HBE: In this turn he charged a block of spearelves against my goblins and I fled, diying some more on the DT. Then he moved the upper spearmen slowly towards the objective. In the lower side, he rushed with the elves towards my boars, and far from the objective, but out of LoS of my units. And don't ask me how, but the chicken also got out of LoS. In fact, I spent another turn trying to get this chicken to no success.

T5 OnG: On my turn the goblins kept fleeing, and some more died to DTs. The boars decided that they could not win against the spear elves so moved backwards (but they didn't turn, the image is wrong :warn: ). One of the spiders moved to get the back of his three upper units. I moved the feral back to cover the objective, and moved the orcs in the 6" radius of it, but still giving the front to the lions just in case. But then I decided to place the wolves to redirect. So in my head he just had to options: move the spearelves towards the objective and give me the flank, or charge solo to the 'eadbashers. But of course, he could also do what he did

T6 HBE: another thing I oversaw here. He could charge with the spearelves on the right to the flank of the wolves, and the upper ones to the orcs. Then kill the wolves and overrun to my flank....hmmm, didn't see that coming. The charge to the wolves was a long one (maybe 9 or 10"), but he tryed anyway. Aaaaand, he failed both. I mean, the one spears vs orcs was not even that far....but not even one. He also charged the lower spearmen against my boars, and guess what? Yes, failed charge

T6 OnG: In my turn I could have charge the orcs to the upper spear elves, but I'm a coward, and decided to save the points just in case. I mean, it should have been an easy combat (my numbers say I kill 8, he kills 4), and had more ranks, charge, and I'm not even sure if he had standard. And I could even help with the feral. But at the moment I decided that 280 points where not worth the ultra low probability of losing that unit. What I did was have fun with the other unit of spears: I charged them in the back with the spider, he fled and went through the wolves, so a lot of DTs. Then I charged them with the feral, so they went back through the wolves, and another bunch of DTs. I don't know if then I reached the charge with the spider, but doesn't matter. And the gobbos didn't regroup, but they killed a goddamm phoenix, I can't be angry with them!

So in the end it was 16-4 to me plus the objective, so 19-1. Maybe charging in that last turn would have make it a 20, but I'd rather not make the numbers, it's not that bad. I've got to say that I felt realy lucky (well, no, I felt he was realy unlucky, specialy when charging or breaktesting), and that gave me the game. I comit two big mistakes that could have given me some big problems (the redirecting eagle and the redirecting wolves), but then the dice gods decided to forgive me, and let me keep playing. I'm also happy that I manage to fulfill my main game strategy: get the spiders as far as possible of the lions, or of their front at least.

And that was the first game of the tournament. Good news I jumped to the first positions of it, bad news, I was between the first positions of it. So the second round may be a hard one....we'll see

Please, remember that any comment on the battle report, the battle itself, or whatever will be highly appreciated. And of course, take into account that I've written just what I remember of the battle. Even pictures are made a posteriori! So any resemblance to reality is pure coincidence!

Got to say thanks to @Kopistar for the game, and wish him luck (the one he didn't have here) in his next battles

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• B2: ST7 – Chapter 4: Round II: Or how I fight the evergrowing horde

So after having prepared most of the math of my battle versus @Squirrelloid and his Dread Elves, I saw this post in the ST7 thread:

Nicreap wrote:

Everyone needs to recheck roudn 2 pairings, they have changed
      And I even had starting writing this chapter for that battle

Well, whatever, I checked my opponent's list, no other than @Jon653 and his VC army

Truth be told, I’ve never ever played against VC. Well ok, I played once versus a guy who didn’t really know what he was doing, but that doesn’t count. Meaning, I have no freaking idea how the bloodlines, and blood powers, and blood ties, and unit creation, and dusting, and general's death, and evoked things work. But I’ve heard and read things. I know they can get hidden in a small corner of the field, and just wait for you to go while increasing and increasing their numbers. I know that if you get in combat with them you will be in combat for the whole game. And I’ve heard about a list with lots of small wizards which just brings the dead back to life at an uncontrollable speed. A list just like this one:

Jon653 wrote:

4500pts Vampire Counts

Lamia Count 1045pts - Court of the Damned, Giant Sword, Divine Icon, Dragon Fire Gem, Dead Arise, Mask of Innocence, Lvl 1 Evocation

Necro 160pts - lvl 1 evocation

Necro 160pts - lvl 1 evocation

Necro 350pts - lvl 1 evocation, corpse Cart, endless hordes

58 Skeletons 630pts - Spears,Shields,Light Armor, Warbanner, Full Command

24 Zombies 154pts – Musician

8 Wolves 116pts

Altar 460pts - Dark Tome

6 Vampire Spawn 480pts - Champion

30 Barrow Guard 765pts - Halberd, Banner of Barrows, full command

5 Black Knights 180pts

At a first glance, things don't look really good to me. Additionaly, looks like this guy won the last ST with 58 points out of 60, with a VC list...darn!, I was sure VC were pure shields to get 10-10s. At this point I started to wish him to play hidden in a corner of the table. But in anyway, I decided to hit the mathhammer:

His General: this guy is unkilable. Simply I can't imagine a human (nor orcish) way to deal with him. Ok, I'd say it doesn't hit that hard (4 WS7 S8 attacks, there goes nothing), but with both my wyverns I hit him on 5+ repeating successes and then he has a 4++!! If my calculations are right, my killing machine (aka feral) can deal him 0.37 wounds per turn at his best. And then he can just simply heal them!!! Yep this guy is a no-go

The necromancers: what to say about this guys. They are just there to bring troops and troops back to life. I can kill them with whatever, but of course they will be hidden in units. It could be interesting maybe killing the one in the corpse chart which shouldn't be too difficult, even with the 4++ (4 wounds T4, easy peasy lemon squeezy). But of course, I need to get to him with the feral, or my spiders, and he will be in a horde of zombies which may have grown to 50 bodies by the time I get there

Skeletons and zombies: easy stuff to kill, my numbers say that 'eadbashers shall finish with 8-10 skelies per turn, and even more zombies. But then again the same thing, they will come back. And skelletons, being 58 guys may not vanish so fast (steadfast, standard, war standar....). It would be great if I could catch the zombies in the 2nd or 3rd turn before they are thousands and see if I can get rid of them fast. Of course this wont be feasible at all

Altar: other of the things that should be killed asap because it just makes his army too strong. But once again, combination of W5, T5 and 4++ with possibility of healing is gonna make it something really hard to fullfil. My feral may need two or three rounds to kill it. If he makes it there, of course.

Spawns: well, this things are really really dangerous. 4 Atacks S5 per each one, that can make a lot of harm. My numbers say they are one to one against my trolls (but they are 6 and I've got 5 trolls) and that they may harm hard my wyverns, but I should be able to take some in the way. To me, clear solution to these things: concentrate as much shooting and magic as possible to them, since they have no save at all. Once they are down to 3 or 4 bodies I should be able to handle with them...maybe

Barrow guard: so I guess this guys will be on a horde to multiply S5 attacks. They kill a lot, but are also easy to kill. If they go in horde, then they are a no go for my 'eadbashers, trolls and gargantulas. If they go in a 5 man line, then they wont kill that much, but of course will hold anything that gets to them for the complete game.

Barrow knights: and I guess these guys are just a small scoring unit to hide and take objectives at the end of the game. Not many attacks, mostly easy to kill, they may vanish due to unstable if they charge almost any of my units

And what is my impression after this analysis? This is going to be a really hard game! My plan for it: be away from combat as much as possible. If he decides to come aggresive for me I will just try to pick as many small units as I can with wyverns and spiders while he completely destroys my army. I think that spawns and barrow knights may be killable objectives (and wolves, of course), and maybe that corpse chart if I get to him, or the altar, if I get with everything to him (so I can kill it in no more than two rounds). Also objective is capture the flags, and I don't think I will be able to kill any of the barrow guard, the zombie nor the skelleton units, so I will most likely lose the objective (he just have to make my goblins flee, or kill my boars, nothing too hard)

If I could sign the 7-13 right now, I would

But I wont!

Edit: I forgot Jon's list :facepalm:

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• Casas wrote:

B2: ST7 – Chapter 4: Round II: Or how I fight the evergrowing horde

So after having prepared most of the math of my battle versus @Squirrelloid and his Dread Elves
      Ooh, I'd be curious to see this analysis.
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• I overwrote it with the one for this battle :(

Additionaly, if we end up playing the third round, it may not be good for me revealing you my week points for the specific match :P

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter