What is the world of 9th age called?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Wanting to catch up on all the latest army gossip as it happens? Our Army Community Support team shares glimpses of the incoming army books!

• What is the world of 9th age called?

We have some really cool and believable names for the continents and cities (way better than I feared when this all started) and Ive really bought into the places and factions (in fact I know struggle to remember some of the names of places in another, now destroyed world as I know think in 9th age IP) but i've never hear the planet on which our wars are fought given a name.

"Battles in the world of 9th age" isnt quite as immersive as "battles in the world of (suitably magestic name)"
  • This has been considered internally.
    Your argument about the need for a name was brought, but it turns out not to be as simple as it appears.

We, 21st century Humans, know that we live on a planet, Earth. We know that the Universe probably contains many more planets suitable for life. We have another name, World, which may be more adapted to designate where we live from our own perspective.
    Most importantly, we know that our Real World and T9A World are different, so as you appropriately mention, we have a need to designate T9A World.

But what would be the understanding of medieval races in T9A? Some may have the astronautical knowledge about living on a planet (I trust that Elves do but most T9A Humans don't). There is no reason for any race to have the notion of galaxies or Universe. Probably for most inhabitants, the World is limited to the few lands they have heard about and they do not have the concept of naming the world.

Next, you need to consider Demons, who live beyond the Veil. Would their origin be included in the designation of T9A World? Probably yes, from our own perspective; probably no, from the inhabitant's perspective.

Additionally, we would have to pick up a name in a specific language, for a world which encompasses all kind of languages.
    In Real World, English says World or Earth, French says Monde or Terre etc. Would we use an Imperial language, and just say "die Welt" or "die Erde"? Would we use the Elven concept based on their superior understanding of the Universe, but why would other races use that when they don't even understand the concept?

-=-=-

In summary, the difficulty is to find a name for a tyically out-of-world concept, when our background is exclusively described from an in-world point of view.
    Probably @Scottish Knight could elaborate on that.

-=-=-

This said, I did not address your concern.
    It is a legitimate concern to have a designation for T9A World.
    At the moment, we use "T9A World".
    Would we need to find a new, popular way to designate it, from our external, player's perspective, which would never be used for the internal descriptions? In that case, any name could work provided it is not already used (and copyrighted).
    Would we just pick up an appropriate name in one or another of the T9A languages? In that case, we need to privilege one of these languages, and then ask our dedicated linguist to forge a specific name for an approximation of the concept, which would be used only in that specific culture.

Overall, if the Community wants a name, and the projects does not provide it, I see not why the Community could not suggest a name to be used among ourselves nd not in the background.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • Ever-All.

''Our World, apprentice, is quite a bit more than the map you see before you.

You may think of the Far Sea, largely uncharted that stretches beyond the map's borders, but the map here is but a sliver of the concept of 'world' I would impart on your young mind.

Time cannot be drawn on a map, yet all these lands once looked very different, and will look different again sooner than you might think. In my lifetime the map has already been amended many a time.

Then there is the Veil, and the myriad Planes beyond. Some of them you have heard of.

This is what the scholarly call ''the Cosmos'', and in the mouths of the... uneducated... it has come to be known as Ever-All: everything that ever was or will be. And that is quite a bit more than this 'world' you speak of.''
    I invite you to choke on my pointy ears \ >_o/
    Phae's Pointy-Ear Blog: Elves in a Corner
  • Calisson wrote:

In summary, the difficulty is to find a name for a tyically out-of-world concept, when our background is exclusively described from an in-world point of view.
    Probably @Scottish Knight could elaborate on that.
    To be honest, your description was perfect.

Other settings do this - Pathfinder for example has Golarion. Yet, I have rarely seen Golarion gain real purchase among players. Mostly if someone wants to talk about something happening in Pathfinder, they refer to the game rather than the name of the world. It tends to be used only in published work.

So coupled with the fact that the majority of terms for the Earth are basic and straightforward words from the respective language, we felt it added a level of realism not to invent a planetary name which inhabitants would never use, and even players rarely would.

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

Until my last breath, my last drop of blood, my last act in this life, I keep the faith.
  • Wouldn't be needed first to set the world?

It is a fantasy setting, so I think it doesn't need to be a planet like ours (while it is an option still). It can be a sphere in the center of the universe like the greeks believed, and since the whole thing is fantasy setting, it still makes sense. Even a flat world could be a thing. Or something even more bizarre, like a world set in the shell of a tortoise wich swims throught space.

Also, I don't think the bast majority of T9A races any interest how the world is set; for sure undead, greenskins, demons, beast herds or ogres wouldn't think about it. Other races like dwarfs or VS wouldn't waste time in their thoughts about what the world is. WDG or SA KNOW how the world is (even if they are wrong) since the gods had tell them that. HE would probably believe in a sphere in the center of the universe, the logical first thought from someone literated, but they are such a traditionalists that won't find logical our concept of planet. SE provably just care about seasons and nature, and KoE won't believe something apart from their miths.

Anyway, a generic name could be useful. Then we can focus in how the world is and how the diferent races concieve it.
  • Blonde Beer wrote:

Thats unusual for me to see, its used a lot in my groups. Might be because it is our first fantasy rpg setting and we dove deep in the fluff.
    I've played across WFRP, Forgotten Realms, Pathfinder, and half a dozen other games set in alternate universes. But the vast majority of times we would be referring to towns, cities, countries - at the very very most, continents. How often do you need to talk about the world itself?

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

Until my last breath, my last drop of blood, my last act in this life, I keep the faith.
  • When the desires coming from T9A Community do not match T9A Team's inclination, there are several ways to solve the discrepancy:
    A- to change T9A team mind = the normal solution unless there is a good reason
    B- to change the Community's mind = the normal solution if there is a good reason - this requires explanations (example: legal necessities)
    C- to realize that the alleged Community's concerns come in reality from only a few vocal people, not the vast majority - in that case, the demand can be ignored.

At the moment, replies above show that we are in B. The "good reasons" were provided.
    Are they "good" enough? Let's hear from you.
    If yes, issue closed.
    If no, then we will need to verify that we're not in situation C before we can move to A. For example, if there is a poll meeting a large success, that could show that the desire may be deeper than the limited number of participants to the current conversation suggests at the moment.

I hope that this comment shows sufficiently T9A's team willingness to listen, but not to over-react. :)

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • I really like that you have taken the time to explain your thought process, and the reasons why you have chosen not to pick a name.
    It is nice to know that you don't ignore the rest of the community, but instead considers the arguments and opinions that are presented to you on this forum and elsewhere, even if you ultimately decide against following them.

I would however like to make a few counterarguments:
    Firstly I dislike using the lack of widespread astronomical knowledge as an argument against naming the world. After all we real-life humans have had names for the world for several thousand years before we knew that it was a planet.
    For instance the only reason we know the so-called Imago Mundi or "Babylonian map of the world" is supposed to be a map of the entire world is because the surrounding text on the tablet refers to the world as such, and that was in 600 b.c.
    Likewise the ancient greeks had some lively scholarly discussion as to the shape of the world that would have been impossible without a way of referring to the world, even through they didn't think of it as a "planet" like the others they knew about.
    Indeed there is, as far as I understand, some evidence that even some pre-historic societies which thought of the world as "these hills, forrests, plains and the ocean beyond" had the concept of "the world" and likely a word/name for it.

Secondly I think that The Ninth Age have a greater need to name its world than games like say Pathfinder do or Warhammer did, simply because the words "the pathfinder/warhammer world" flows better off the tongue than "the ninth age world" do. Specifically I believe that the end of the word "ninth" is the likely culprit for why this settings lack of a name flows badly.

I am far more sympathetic to the difficulty of choosing a name among the ones used by various cultures of the world.
    Through I wonder if some of that couldn't be solved at least in part by the same naming convention which allows us to refer to one faction as "the Empire of Sonnstahl" and another as "highborn elves" in spite of each of those factions likely having different names among each nation, culture and language of the 9th-age-world.
  • Manxol wrote:

Other races like dwarfs or VS wouldn't waste time in their thoughts about what the world is.
    Take that back, man-thing! Skaven are the most scientifically literate race out there! Why, no one else has invented unstable nuclear reactors or biological weapons that sometimes kill the enemy! Clearly, our knowledge is superior!
    we are small but we are many
    we are many we are small
    we were here before you rose
    we will be here when you fall

we have eyes and we have nerveses
    We have tails we have teeth
    You will get what you deserveses
    When we rise from underneath
  • Stop overthink consequences; it will paralyse you!

I love (need!) a world name for my campaigns..
    [twitch][/twitch]
    If you choose not to make a name, could I have the Vetian word for "world"? Of the EoS word for it.

Pretty please. Or Dwarven word. @Niedfaru xxx

Please throw a life line to people that want to create their own setting in the T9A world ...
    Carry of fancy a beard? Come over to bugmansbrewery.com/, a massive hold for anything Dwarf related
  • I love the philosophical debate and engagement. It's quite refreshing that an ostensibly simple topic engenders so much of that.

I do appreciate the anthropocentric arguments (did we call our world "earth" before we realised the other dots ion the sky were also worlds (Mars, Venus etc)

I dont think planet and world are wholly interchangeable.
    • Planet is a very specific scientific term to the extent that Mercury is and Pluto isn't (sadly)
    • World is a realm- usually coinciding entirely with a planet (hence the perceived frequent interchangeability of the terms) , but an "underground world" or underwater world" could exist on a planet
    • Earth is a proper noun like Mars or Neptune.

I do however disagree with Scottish Knight on "how often do we need to refer to the world itself" I clearly have referred to it a bit because I refer to as the "world of 9th age" and a lot of people referred to the "world that was" and of course "the world of warhammer" was often referenced. I doubt the locals would call it "World of 9th Age" though (or any equivalent translation into their languages)

When we want to talk about the world the game is set in as opposed to Earth, what do we call it?
  • Just call it 'the new world'.
    Seems appropriate, considering that former world we all knew and loved. And at the same time it evokes something. Eluding to an event. Maybe not quite as apocalyptic as an "end times" per se, but something catastrophic and global at the same time. Maybe a cataclysm of game changing.. ya I lost it.

T9A it is.
    AVOIDANCE FAILS 28% OF THE TIME FOLKS. -SE
    Undying Deathstar Construction Inc.
  • So, the name for our planet is simply the name for the ground beneath our feet. Earth from earth. That connection is older than Christianity.

Also, I think most races would have some knowledge that there are other planets. The Babylonians recognized seven planets (the sense of the word has changed - to the Babylonians it meant objects in space that were not fixed, that is, moved relative to the stars, and this included the sun and moon).

Bare minimum, a sun exists, and is by definition unfixed (because it rises and sets). Given the VC AB symbol, we can be reasonably certain a moon exists. That's two classical planets, and likely the two brightest objects in the sky. If there's any other planets (Ie, in both classical and real senses), they're probably pretty obvious. Venus and Jupiter are the third and fourth brightest objects in our sky, after all.

It's pretty likely that the inhabitants of T9A thus recognize that the world is something that needs a name, and they probably call it something with the same meaning as 'earth', 'terre', etc..

Edit: 'world', on the other hand, would be inappropriate in a medieval context. It was frequently used to mean the cosmos, in the medieval understanding (the material universe). Further, there isn't the same universality of conception. Compare the Germanic world cognates: weorold (old English "man age"), werold (Saxon), weralt (old high German), etc... to 'equivalent' (but not cognate) Latin mundus and Greek cosmos. (= Orderly arrangement). Not at all a similar conception.

(Also, usage is frequently inclusive of more than just the physical planet. "All the world's a stage" is referring not just to the physical globe, but the domain of human affairs across it.)
    Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

The post was edited 1 time, last by Squirrelloid ().