What's In A Name Like The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Maxuli wrote:

Pellegrim wrote:

Saga of War
    Dawn of War
    Origin Wars
    Titans of War

Saga of Battle
    Dawn of Battle
    Origin Batlles
    Titans of Battle

Blood Saga
    Blood Dawn

Stuff like that..
    No, none of these, nothing like these please. Nothing that sounds like a cheap, terrible and exploitative mobile game. The point was to get a memorable and maybe even iconic (?) name, not something ultrageneric. Warface! Ugh.
    I think Ninth Age is an interesting name, even beautiful. I don't think I know its justification beyond it being what comes after 8th, but maybe there's some interesting history there.
    These were examples, and I completely disagree with you about Origin Wars, which is a very cool name imo, compared to 9th Age at least. But agree a more characteristisque name can work too. Also you seem to be a long time follower too :)
    Like to hear from newbies, any of them around?
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Pellegrim ().

• I've asked my wargaming group and we're split on keeping or changing. The reference to WH in the name is a positive thing for some and a negative thing to others. We agree however on the fact that Fantasy Battles is cheesy and doesn't add anything.

Personally I would really avoid War, Battle, World, Blood, etc. In my professional field (video games) there are two major types of companies: the ones driven by the developers, and the ones driven by the marketing and finance teams. The first ones set the trends while the others follow them. T9A is very clearly a designer-driven project and I believe we should always favor this philosophy over the urge to blend in, replicate, and generally give up on creativity. Sorry if it sounds a little harsh :)
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
  • Pellegrim wrote:

Like to hear from newbies, any of them around?
    Actually I am a "newbie" as I have never really played Warhammer. I started directly with T9A. And I love the name.
    :VS: The Vermin Swarm is not mad, madness is to kill a dragon with your very last shot - Rattnarök Dragonslayer

Global Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team DE

• I really like the Ninth age:
    - Easy to say and remember
    - Strong personnality, give a story
    - Light reference to where it comes from

But what i could complain about is two things:

FIrst i do not like the "fantasy battle" in the name. First time i look for T9A on tabletopturnament, i didnt find it in my search, because of this "fantasy battle"

Secondly, Dont know in english, but in french, "le 9ème âge" Look really similar to " le 3ème âge" wich means, the old people ^^...
    My girlfriend always saying i am loosing time on a forum for the third age .
    cas-p.net / graphic & web designer.
    SE - VS - O&G - EoS / 9th age player.
  • Casp wrote:

My girlfriend always saying i am loosing time on a forum for the third age .
    :D
    :thumbsup:

Just tell her you are doing volunteer work to entertain old people :P

Background Team

Rules Team

Conceptual Design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
  • Pellegrim wrote:

You did? That's cool.

What does it associate with in your head?
    I associate a long history of eight former ages which can be discovered and have influence on the current age. History which has to be filled with content. Stories to be written and a great future which I can create by playing in great campaigns! At least I hope so :D
    :VS: The Vermin Swarm is not mad, madness is to kill a dragon with your very last shot - Rattnarök Dragonslayer

Translation-Team DE

• I do not think the ninth age is a particularly visceral name. It provokes almost no emotional response independent of that which I ascribe from knowing that it came by way of warhammer's demise.

Therefore as a prospective new player, the name is in no way provocative. With no prior notion of any previous age, it would mean almost nothing. It is merely an attempt to count or record an entity of which I have no notion.

From a marketing stand point, it is light beige in color. This would be of no concern if we were intent on succeeding warhammer, but it has been stated that we mustn't linger in the hammers shadow any longer.
  • if we envision this game, on shelves in 5 years, there will be an entire generation of up and coming gamers with no real warhammer recognition, so the ninth age will be, in name, little more than an abandoned abacus, of which no one can even recall what it measured.

I think a name ought provoke emotional response. Visscissitude - a change of circumstances or fortune, typically one that is unwelcome or unpleasant.
  • Absolutionist wrote:

I do not think the ninth age is a particularly visceral name. It provokes almost no emotional response independent of that which I ascribe from knowing that it came by way of warhammer's demise.

Therefore as a prospective new player, the name is in no way provocative. With no prior notion of any previous age, it would mean almost nothing. It is merely an attempt to count or record an entity of which I have no notion.

From a marketing stand point, it is light beige in color. This would be of no concern if we were intent on succeeding warhammer, but it has been stated that we mustn't linger in the hammers shadow any longer.
    I disagree 100%. I could just as well argue that the name 9th Age is compelling because it could mean almost anything as opposed to meaning nothing. You say that 9th Age doesn't have any meaning to new players. So...how does a name like Infinity mean anything to new players? Or Malifaux? Or an rpg game like Skyrim?

None of those names give you any information or indication of "what the game is about".

Just because the lore of the game is still in its beginning stages doesn't mean you can't have a name that references one of the ages of the world the game takes part in.

When the very first Star Wars movie came out in 1977 "A New Hope", Lucas had in the opening cinematic "Episode IV". Nobody knew what the he** Star Wars even was at the that early time, yet Lucas took the bold risk to tell the audience this first very movie about a totally unknown story, that this was the MIDDLE episode of a story! No established lore, no nothing except a cheesy space movie that could flop more likely than it would succeed. And he tells the audience from the start that this story is being made out of order!

I strongly feel that this name should remain as it is. I do not think 9th Age merely implies a continuation of Warhammer. It's not a continuation of the Warhammer editions. It implies a continuation of the fantasy battle legacy and heritage. The name doesn't imply a 9th edition of Warhammer, but rather a new age in a new place and time.

I really think this game has so many more important things that could be worked on, focusing this much on the name of the game is wasted energy in my opinion.
    There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!
  • Absolutionist wrote:

I do not think the ninth age is a particularly visceral name. It provokes almost no emotional response independent of that which I ascribe from knowing that it came by way of warhammer's demise.

From a marketing standpoint? Since when is this game being sold for profit? It's free game provided to the fantasy gaming community. The economic philosophy and paradigm of the necessity for infinite market growth doesn't apply to a game for which there isn't money being made.

This isn't a company. 9th Age doesn't have stock or shareholders.
    There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!
  • There was talk of it at various points being present, at least the rule book, in game stores.

I'm not certain as to whether or not "marketing" is wrongly used, for in this instance I did not mean to imply sale of the game, more so attempting to lure new players.

Curious, what came first, the Star Wars novels or the films?

Also, some of these titles feel more provocative than others, though as I'm typing this, I'm aware of how handsome a name, the ninth age actually is. It evokes a classic, antique, formal take on warfare between gentleman of the aristocracy. Thank you. When place next to the others, it does perhaps beam more proudly.

Next, when skyrim was being made, is it true that prospective programmers could apply at sky rimjobs. com?

Finally, this game is outstandingly well balanced and I enjoy it very much thank you.
  • And finaly, even if the name is not good enough.
    Its too late guys.

Not every wargamer try T9A, but almost everybody, heard about it.
    If we change name we will create lot of confusion. And that will not be good.
    Logo already exist, communication about T9A already exist. So too late or too early.

Maybe we could think about changing name in 4 or 5 years, when all AB will be release, V2.0 well implant in lot of country. And T9A know by every wargamer !
    cas-p.net / graphic & web designer.
    SE - VS - O&G - EoS / 9th age player.
  • Absolutionist wrote:

Curious, what came first, the Star Wars novels or the films?
    Actuually there was a strange situation. The first Star Wars novel was published while the first film was produced. Approximately 6 month before it was in cinema. But the connection to the film is not that close and the story for the film was written first. Therefore the novel came first but the film has the older story ;)

Translation-Team DE

• I totally disagree Casp, 9th Age is so incrowd I doubt a name change will loose brand power.

Thats the whole point. Its the name that is confusing. We hear 9th edition, 9th age, Ninth something. It does not stick. It does not differentiate from WFB enough.

I an not pleading we should change it without a solid plan; I'm saying we should consider, in combination with the big 2.0 release, where we have books ready in 150+ stores, with a model pack, and big PR campaign. Cause that can work. PS such a campaign would also be benificial without name change.
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!