What's In A Name Like The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Pellegrim wrote:

in combination with the big 2.0 release, where we have books ready in 150+ stores, with a model pack, and big PR campaign
    Do we ? Maybe ts not the place to talk about htis, but where i live there is a new shop, where the manager is more open than the old other shop. I got some good relation, and maybe will do some 9TA initiation. If some compagny are rdy to create some box, or sell the book, he will certainly be interested. How could i create link ?

About name; if you remove 9TA you will definitly break the link between all the old palyer, who do not already try T9A, but heard about it.
    It will just become a new game.. And there is already a lot of new game.
    I dont see any reason to more differentiate from WHB except legal one. If there is no legal reason, play subtly with our legacy, isnt bad for us i think.
    cas-p.net / graphic & web designer.
    SE - VS - O&G - EoS / 9th age player.
  • Pellegrim wrote:

I totally disagree Casp, 9th Age is so incrowd I doubt a name change will loose brand power.

Thats the whole point. Its the name that is confusing. We hear 9th edition, 9th age, Ninth something. It does not stick. It does not differentiate from WFB enough.
    I know this gets old, but do you have any data supporting that claim other than anecdotal evidence.
    Because if you are wrong and we change the name, this could harm the project significantly. If you are right and we do nothing, not much bad will happen.
  • I think you may be overstating the issue a bit. How many AoS or KoW players have you talked to about the names of those games? No one I've talked to loves either of those names. People play AoS because it allows them to field their beloved Warhammer factions, so divesting completely from Warhammer hurts us there. And KoW is keeping afloat because they immediately created rules for playing Warhammer factions after the old world imploded, again making completely divesting from Warhammer bad for us.

Rank and flank games are a niche market these days. Most players are coming into gaming on skirmish style games, even in the fantasy and medieval genres. If we want to grow we need good lore and a solid, balanced ruleset to lure in those players. I don't think the name is what will make or break the community.
  • What about Hammer McHammerface?

Seriously though, I get where @Pellegrim is coming from. The name is a bit weak and doesn't sound cool. People always say "don't judge a book by it's cover" precisely because that is exactly what people do! The name is the hook and if a cooler sounding name can entice a few extra people it's worth doing.

Personally I'd try to keep 9th in the title as a second part, something like:

Euphoric Battle: The 9th Age

But also not like that because it sucks! :P

The real issue is that you'd need a PR / Advertising company to do this properly and they tend to be expensive. Suppose there may be a few blue sky thinkers amongst us forum peeps.....
    Never argue with Idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • Hi guys, I catch myself writing Warhammer in my agenda each time I plan a T9A event, because it's so much better and self explanatory.

Now I am not reopening the naming discussion, yet I will start using a working name, for my own agenda, a name that sounds good, rolls of the tongue well, and refers to an actual wargame. Please help me brainstorm a working name, or fan name, if you like.

I know it sounds rather flat but I really like BattleAxe. It has the charm, so to say. But must be nother ones that are good.

Come up with my agenda name for wargaming, and I will be greatfull eternally :)
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • Campaign Spear? Police Action Sword? :P
    "I feel we've wandered a bit off track."

"Nonsense. We took the road less travelled by and it's awesome."

"Oh yes, the wonderful less traveled road populated by horrifying monsters that not even greek mythology had yet dreamed up! .. And glowing meth-fueled capybaras."

"You say that like that's a bad thing."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eldan ().

• so guys

HI!

As we still need a new name, cause ..

The 9th Age (or Ninth?) Is a terrible name, never ever has my group used it, we play Warhammer instead while actually playing T9A

Called my indie store, where I asked if we can play a big battle of 9th Age this weekend (#promoteTheGame!) he said "hold on a sec, let me ask", then shouted through the store, "can two peeps use a table for a game of WARHAMMER tomorrow?". Sure, come over, he said.

The 9th Age is a great incrowd working name, that many here are emotionally attached to ...

It totally stinks as a Gaming name that supports a wide spread and recognisable title (no, the fact it follows up 8th does not do anything nerds, use your nerd brain) If you are not a native english speaker, you can not even pronounce it fluently. It is that bad, it's the worst brandname of any fanatsy game out there.

We shall come up with a name, that shopowners, bloggers, the whole scene actually likes to remember, cause it actually has a brandname quality.

BATTLECLUB

This is a draft; if you can come up with a better name, which is highly unlikely, you maybe post it here, using a modest font and tiny height, so we may mock your attempt
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • The Ninth Age is by far the best name I can think of for this thing. Even without considering the loss of brandvalue/name-recognition/whatever that a name change would cause. Even if a name change could be pulled off without any such loss.

On a meta-level, it's a nod towards the original objective of creating a new fantasy rank and file wargame, *the* fantasy rank and file wargame to fill the massive void left behind when Warhammer got turned into Ground Marines. I don't remember exactly how or when I first found about T9A, but the name immediately made me do that connection. Games Workshop gave us eight ages of Warhammer, the Ninth Age is the one that comes after.

As for the name itself, it's pretentious. Which is a good thing. It has a certain elitism about it, a self-awareness of being apart from games that sound like, as @Maxuli so well put it, cheap pay-to-win mobile games. It has connotations of being immense in scale. Heck, Tolkien's entire literary epic only had three ages, starting on a fourth when the books end. And damn, this thing is indeed epic and immense in scale. Not because it hired Matt Ward to put his power fantasies onto paper, but because of what it is, and how it has come about. As @tiny calculated some time ago, just 2.0 has had a conservatively estimated 136,000 volunteer workhours put into it. It has real data analytics behind the game design, with sciencey reports written in LaTeX, how many miniature games can claim that? Thinking about it, I'm surprised there isn't (as far as I've seen, at least) any noticeable amount of elitism among T9A players. Towering superiority complexes have been built on much less.
    Sunna is not with the big battalions, but with the ones whose parts move with the best coordination.
  • Konrad von Richtmark wrote:

The Ninth Age is by far the best name I can think of for this thing. Even without considering the loss of brandvalue/name-recognition/whatever that a name change would cause. Even if a name change could be pulled off without any such loss.

On a meta-level, it's a nod towards the original objective of creating a new fantasy rank and file wargame, *the* fantasy rank and file wargame to fill the massive void left behind when Warhammer got turned into Ground Marines. I don't remember exactly how or when I first found about T9A, but the name immediately made me do that connection. Games Workshop gave us eight ages of Warhammer, the Ninth Age is the one that comes after.

As for the name itself, it's pretentious. Which is a good thing. It has a certain elitism about it, a self-awareness of being apart from games that sound like, as @Maxuli so well put it, cheap pay-to-win mobile games. It has connotations of being immense in scale. Heck, Tolkien's entire literary epic only had three ages, starting on a fourth when the books end. And damn, this thing is indeed epic and immense in scale. Not because it hired Matt Ward to put his power fantasies onto paper, but because of what it is, and how it has come about. As @tiny calculated some time ago, just 2.0 has had a conservatively estimated 136,000 volunteer workhours put into it. It has real data analytics behind the game design, with sciencey reports written in LaTeX, how many miniature games can claim that? Thinking about it, I'm surprised there isn't (as far as I've seen, at least) any noticeable amount of elitism among T9A players. Towering superiority complexes have been built on much less.
    The elitism part comes in when we talk to non-ninth age gamers:

Random Gamer:
    I play 40k

Me:
    Oh so you're still playing that unbalanced mess of 'who took the bigger guns' that some people mistakenly call a 'strategy' game.*

*Conversation edited to the point where it is complete fiction