What's In A Name Like The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• We could still use globe, planet even Earth in BGT materials provided by eye-witnesses. The setting name could be introduced in 'outsiders view' materials only - for example in the preamble.`That way we would have a convenient term to refer T9A world and at the same time purists would stay satisfied.
    Homebrew: Hetmanate of Ukray_____________Report your battle results using mobile app: T9A Magic Flux!
  • JimMorr wrote:

We could still use globe, planet even Earth in BGT materials provided by eye-witnesses. The setting name could be introduced in 'outsiders view' materials only - for example in the preamble.`That way we would have a convenient term to refer T9A world and at the same time purists would stay satisfied.
    Hmmm

The only way I see it possible is to use an unaffiliated Supernal observer as one of our sources, but one that was possibly a human at one point and have him name the world he observes from beyond the Veil.

Background Team

Conceptual Design

Rules Advisors

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
  • JimMorr wrote:

Or demon who knows a 1000 worlds...
    That would presume there are a 1000 world ;)

Do remember we have been saying for months 9th age is a mythological setting.

Background Team

Conceptual Design

Rules Advisors

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
  • Not entirely sure terminology created by oppressors would fall out of use simply because it has been created by oppressors. Established standards and conventions sometimes survive by sheer inertia. If the Saurians were the first to have a scholarly tradition of some sort (which is entirely plausible, they seem to be the only ones to have had an advanced civilization in the First Age), that tradition could have been inherited by the Second Age civilizations. Sticking to using established terms, concepts, systems and formalisms has the advantage that everyone else knows what you're talking about. Recreating everything from the ground up would require a coordinated deliberate effort, or an uphill battle by the new to gain traction. It's like the QWERTY keyboard, which is showing all indications of living forever, despite its original purpose no longer being applicable.
    Sunna is not with the big battalions, but with the ones whose parts move with the best coordination.
  • Konrad von Richtmark wrote:

It's like the QWERTY keyboard
    Not where I live :P

But anyways the "sentient" peoples of the setting had developed languages before SA enslavement, also from looking into the SE army book and BRB oral traditions of the time before the enslavement survived among the longer lived species which means the whole period of enslavement wasn't overly long. It wasn't short either. But the sheer time that has passed from the fall until the modern times means that language shifts would have still made the name very different in different languages.

Background Team

Conceptual Design

Rules Advisors

• Giladis wrote:

Do remember we have been saying for months 9th age is a mythological setting.
    For insiders :).

I have visited 1000 worlds and walked under 1000 skies. Each time I bear a different name, different disguise. On the world of Travoc mortals take me for a star child, an entity born in the cold space between the stars. Lotharians accept me as one of their Cursed Ancestors visiting them from kingdom of death. For Morfians who believe their world is a dream I am a nightmare... The Tloalt is special. Here I am servant of Father, God of Chaos, his envoy and emissary among the mortals. My progeny rules barbaric clans of the North enjoying status of demigods... yes I really enjoy my brief visits to Tloalt.
    Homebrew: Hetmanate of Ukray_____________Report your battle results using mobile app: T9A Magic Flux!
  • think we're drifting off .. the point at hand here is that the official name, Fantasy Battles, is OK were it not for the fact we can't use it to create our own identity because "it is part of the name of a game that is also doing table top war-games, and thus a colleague / rival". We can go on about theoretical names for the Fantasy Battles globe, but I feel this is all subordinate until we address the issue at hand.

-> Should the project hold the name that is already used by another company?

1: Yes, no problem. Then is it really a name that sticks, that holds, that set's us apart?

A: yes: then all is fine.
    B: no, it's to generic, let's find a cool iconic name that is tied to the actual world

2: No, we should not use a name already associated (and owned) by another similar game, we should find a cool iconic name that is tied to the actual world
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • But wasn't the original intent of the 9th Age to be a player driven 9th edition? Isn't that the point of the name, and the reason so many originally flocked to it?
    "An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*"

-Aragorn, son of Arathorn
  • I would like "The Ninth Age: (Something something)" other than fantasy battles... it sounds too generic. I understand the point, that its specifically about "fantasy battles" just as the rpg would be The Ninth Age: Role Playing Game or something like that. However a name that alludes to a significant event or the prediction of a significant event would be more appealing to me. It's as if TW:WH was instead named Total War: Fantasy Strategy Game... not too exciting, quite generic. The problem is the fluff isn't developed enough to pick a name like that.

The Ninth Age: Ruination

Hmm, still doesn't have the large scale impression as i'd like for cultures all over the world fighting each other
  • Well, thing is, T9A isn't about wargaming some specific significant event in the game world. There are games that do that, and where gameplay and game mechanics are defined by that, e.g. Mordheim. T9A is a general-purpose fantasy battle game system, one that could even be (with no major systemic changes) be used to wargame battles in any one of the previous ages of the world, or, heck, any setting that's even remotely close to what's come to be called stock fantasy, especially if you make an allowance for using setting-specific homebrew army books.

That's why it's entirely appropriate that the name of the game reflects this genericity. Calling it The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles may feel bland, but calling it The Ninth Age: Insert Something Dramatic Here would just feel misleading and possibly even not just a little cheesy.
    Sunna is not with the big battalions, but with the ones whose parts move with the best coordination.
  • Marcos24 wrote:

I would like "The Ninth Age: (Something something)" other than fantasy battles... it sounds too generic.
    Today it is officially Fantasy Battles by The Ninth Age as project name and game name have been split. We need:

(something something): Fantasy Battles by The Ninth Age.
  • JimMorr wrote:

Not sure why that is needed from my point of view at the moment but in the future as we work to expand the setting(s) it might come in handy and probably should not change before that happens.

Background Team

Conceptual Design

Rules Advisors

• At the moment, the game is about battles for the sake of battling, which happen to take place in an age which main character is to be the ninth.
    It may be easier to find an attractive nickname when BG is released and the big picture is clearer to show what the battles are about.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • JimMorr wrote:

Marcos24 wrote:

I would like "The Ninth Age: (Something something)" other than fantasy battles... it sounds too generic.
    Today it is officially Fantasy Battles by The Ninth Age as project name and game name have been split. We need:
    That is simply too long: no one call MTG with the full name, nor remember the names of all the expansions. Branding, identity building, all requires short names to be easily remembered.

After two years, people call the game The Ninth Age or Fantasy Battles. We're still battling to avoid people use the name of other games.

...which is quite obvious: it's a comparison such as 30 years vs 2 years.

Nonetheless, from a branding point of view, T9A works fine, the fact to someone doesn't sound "cool" is not that important as it seems, from an identity point of view. Identity building is a more complex process in which the "logo", "logotype" and name are only the signifier, and their working potential is not merely based on the rule of cool.

Display Spoiler

A jackal, O Karna, residing in the forest in the midst of hares regardeth himself a lion till he actually sees a lion.

Display Spoiler

Tu regere imperio populos, Romane, memento
    (Hae tibi erunt artes), pacique imponere morem,
    Parcere subjectis et debellare superbos.

• VisconteDimezzato wrote:

That is simply too long: no one call MTG with the full name, nor remember the names of all the expansions. Branding, identity building, all requires short names to be easily remembered.
    Exactly. Warhammer Fantasy Battles by Games Workshop have always been Warhammer.

'The 9th Age' as @Pellegrim noted lacks cool factor. It has also difficult articulation. 'I play Ninth Age.'. 'Excuse me, was it Ninth Age, Knights Age, Nights Age, Nymphs Age...?' It bears also burden of being a replacement for 9th edition, something I guess we would like fast to get rid of.

'Fantasy battles' as brand won't work. 'I play fantasy battles'. 'Which..?' will be the most common answer.

'I play Balefire / Havoc / (Something something)'.