Dispatches from the front V: Drill Sergeants Update

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Play nice guys.

Then maybe I will release the next spoiler sooner :D
    New rules:
    (1) I will do my best to answer your criticisms, particularly of RT, but don't forget to thank one of the unsung heros who hold this project together: rules clarity team, lectors, website admin, background etc...
    (2) If you tag me and I don't answer you, its because I'm busy, sorry :( . If you still want an answer ~4 days later then tag me again and I will try to do better :)
  • Guys, if I look at the other armies and their sneak peaks,
    this one is rather the exception.
    Constant updates and DanT and Fthunder give constant reasoning and reply to almost every comment/answer.
    We couldn´t ask for more and i don´t say that because I´m a former ACS.
    I´m grateful for the news and the way community reaction is taken into account.

The changes regarding light infantry and orders so far seem not gamebreaking to me, but quite helpful
    if supported by other changes and a decent point cost.
    But some more hits from the handgunners here, Fthunders new "favourite toy" there
    and maybe some goodies in the magic item and character Departement-you get the picture ;) .
    From what I´ve heard and seen so far, internal Balance will definitely be improved in our army book.

About external balance:
    There are roundabout 6 months left to reach 2.0.
    We should be in good shape come the ETC, DanT and the ladz wouldn´t go to Zagreb without some useful tools in his belt, right 8-) .
    Kruber wrote:
    Imperial Rangers burn the woods ---> Sylvan Elves go cry in the corner.
  • I must say I really love all the metaphor speaking, it always makes the conversation easy to understand and illuminates what everyone actually are saying. Like when one book closes and another opens a window. The lige can shine to the shadow on the wall, but at what price to the wanderer in the field. A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms, enthusiasms... What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy? Baseball! A man stands alone at the plate. This is the time for what? For individual achievement. There he stands alone. But in the field, what? Part of a team. Teamwork... Looks, throws, catches, hustles. Part of one big team. Bats himself the live-long day, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and so on. If his team don't field... what is he? You follow me? No one. Sunny day, the stands are full of fans. What does he have to say? I'm goin' out there for myself. But... I get nowhere unless the team wins.
  • Cortrillion wrote:

I must say I really love all the metaphor speaking, it always makes the conversation easy to understand and illuminates what everyone actually are saying. Like when one book closes and another opens a window. The lige can shine to the shadow on the wall, but at what price to the wanderer in the field. A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms, enthusiasms... What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy? Baseball! A man stands alone at the plate. This is the time for what? For individual achievement. There he stands alone. But in the field, what? Part of a team. Teamwork... Looks, throws, catches, hustles. Part of one big team. Bats himself the live-long day, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and so on. If his team don't field... what is he? You follow me? No one. Sunny day, the stands are full of fans. What does he have to say? I'm goin' out there for myself. But... I get nowhere unless the team wins.
    Hahahahahahaaha

Just for that one I'm gonna post the latest spoiler, because a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and because looking after the pennies will mean that the pounds look after themselves.
    Or something.
    New rules:
    (1) I will do my best to answer your criticisms, particularly of RT, but don't forget to thank one of the unsung heros who hold this project together: rules clarity team, lectors, website admin, background etc...
    (2) If you tag me and I don't answer you, its because I'm busy, sorry :( . If you still want an answer ~4 days later then tag me again and I will try to do better :)
  • What I didn't see is an explanation why the supports units must still suffer the -1 to hit for stand & shoot reaction when the parent unit is charged. Would it be considered as too strong?

I think the new order and the new rules for detachements are a path in the right direction. I'm really looking forward to trying 20 men hallys as detachement (& the order for FIER) on a flank.

Not sure light inf. are going to become that nasty but I can see why staff is cautious...

Great job everyone! Can't wait for 2.0 :O
  • Gregus wrote:

What I didn't see is an explanation why the supports units must still suffer the -1 to hit for stand & shoot reaction when the parent unit is charged. Would it be considered as too strong?

I think the new order and the new rules for detachements are a path in the right direction. I'm really looking forward to trying 20 men hallys as detachement (& the order for FIER) on a flank.

Not sure light inf. are going to become that nasty but I can see why staff is cautious...

Great job everyone! Can't wait for 2.0 :O
    well, it is a "free" shooting phase . I don´t mind the -1 penalty , as long as they would be able to give that supporting fire without a true Line of Sight (so that the parent unit is not in their LoS).
    Veteran of the Chaff Wars
  • If you don't like having to suffer a -1 to hit when providing Supporting Fire to a charged parent unit, maybe you should consider instead making a countercharge into the enemy flank? That 5x3 light infantry unit will provide 4 points of static combat score, assuming at least one but less than five of the guys die. A whole 5 points of combat score in case you have a standard.

As it happens, I was doing just that during 1.3, trying to use such beefed-up light infantry units as versatile support units in a gunline that can both force the enemy to advance through their gunnery, whittle down the enemy on the way, and contribute in the subsequent close combat clash. Needless to say, I very much appreciate getting to both shoot and strike with the third rank. Sunna is merciful! :)
    Sunna is not with the big battalions, but with the ones whose parts move with the best coordination.
  • Konrad von Richtmark wrote:

If you don't like having to suffer a -1 to hit when providing Supporting Fire to a charged parent unit, maybe you should consider instead making a countercharge into the enemy flank? That 5x3 light infantry unit will provide 4 points of static combat score, assuming at least one but less than five of the guys die. A whole 5 points of combat score in case you have a standard.

As it happens, I was doing just that during 1.3, trying to use such beefed-up light infantry units as versatile support units in a gunline that can both force the enemy to advance through their gunnery, whittle down the enemy on the way, and contribute in the subsequent close combat clash. Needless to say, I very much appreciate getting to both shoot and strike with the third rank. Sunna is merciful! :)
    But then why not take some heavy infantry to optimize.
    No interest to pay for a standard and 3 rank into light infantry.
    And if you want to use counter charge you have to stay behind your mother unit, to not be charged, so no LOS for light infantry. That a really bad way to use light infantry.

Why light infantry should take the same strategic job than the heavy infantry support...

Thats why i dont really like this new rules, able to shoot on 3 rank, make possible to replace heavy infatry support by light troops support.. But i was already playing with light troops personnaly, and this is not the good way to optimize our army. Light troops need to be far away from mother to get the good LOS. And heavy support need to be close our mother, to optimize our fighting capacity.

I would really prefer get the stand & shoot reaction at 12" instead. To be able to play my heavy infantry support with additional light troops support, and without be forced to play a static playstyle.
    cas-p.net / graphic & web designer.
    SE - VS - O&G - EoS / 9th age player.
  • Instead of also taking a heavy infantry support unit, you could take yet another bulked-up 5x3 light infantry unit. Then, instead of having one fire support unit and one melee support unit, you have two units that can both do both jobs passably. Two units that will pepper incoming enemies with gunfire, two units that will countercharge the enemy flank.

If the parent units and the light infantry units are in an alternating line, any light infantry unit that gets charged will only need to hold for one combat round (for which purpose it will benefit from parent unit steadfastness unless it suffers 11+ casualties), after which a parent unit flanks the enemy.

I've discussed this concept in this thread about gunlines, which I'll revisit in a bit in light of the upcoming 2.0 changes.
    Sunna is not with the big battalions, but with the ones whose parts move with the best coordination.

Instead of also taking a heavy infantry support unit, you could take yet another bulked-up 5x3 light infantry unit. Then, instead of having one fire support unit and one melee support unit, you have two units that can both do both jobs passably. Two units that will pepper incoming enemies with gunfire, two units that will countercharge the enemy flank.

If the parent units and the light infantry units are in an alternating line, any light infantry unit that gets charged will only need to hold for one combat round (for which purpose it will benefit from parent unit steadfastness unless it suffers 11+ casualties), after which a parent unit flanks the enemy.

I've discussed this concept in this thread about gunlines, which I'll revisit in a bit in light of the upcoming 2.0 changes.
    This is exactly how I have been playing Empire in my 2.0 playtest games.

Playtester

EoS Community Support

Team Wales ETC 2017 - Beast Herds
    Team Scotland ETC 2018 - Captain

Twitter - @Fthunder89
  • That's good to hear, especially considering how you've said light infantry is very viable now.

I remember, way back on Warhammer-Empire, when I just had dipped into T9A, that I asked on the forum whether such a tactical/composition concept would work. The answers were largely along the lines of "Unfortunately not, but everyone would love if such a fluffy concept would work in a competitive setting". Somehow, I didn't let that deter me.

Good to hear that the army book is developing in a direction where what many consider fluffy Empire play is also competitively viable :)

Instead of also taking a heavy infantry support unit, you could take yet another bulked-up 5x3 light infantry unit. Then, instead of having one fire support unit and one melee support unit, you have two units that can both do both jobs passably. Two units that will pepper incoming enemies with gunfire, two units that will countercharge the enemy flank.

That is sound and to a certain degree I can imagine that works fine. But my objection is that you HAVE TO stay in 6 inches of a parent unit .
    While a heavy infantry support unit can keep up with the parent unit without any drawbacks the light infantry units would have to move (else your parent unit has to be stationary) and either has to suffer a -2 on BS or, marching, can´t shoot at all.
    In comparision to that, (skirmishing) militia with pistols can move much more freely (even march move and still fire with just BS -1on long range) . They can work together with a parent unit or move independent (e.g. as a harassing unit...dancing around and /or avoiding enemy units) . They can easily move out of the way or search for a good position for a fine LoS /Line of Fire. .
    Enemy units from the flank /rear? Militia just turns around/reforms and fires , while a turning around/reforming unit of Light Infantry again suffers from BS -2.
    Veteran of the Chaff Wars
  • Smythen wrote:

@Konrad von Richtmark Can you give a rough guide for depkoyment, movement and angling?

What news from the mines @Bugman? Any Shrine of Knowledge?

Koles90 wrote:

So light infantry is not great in shooting but in dying to hold enemy for our parent unit?

That explains all misunderstanding.

Btw. 15 militia isn't cheaper? Someone use it now?

They shoot and can countercharge. They can also pin an opponent - but a sole parental unit is usually not enough for even the more mediocre opponents. Now if you had an array of supporting units on the other hand....

Militia have lost the Support rule. Make room for them on a shelf. State Militia pistols still have a bit of a place, but got a proper hit in the codpiece.
    Why not hold elections for key seats? Oh! And direction of the game - that would also be hella cool :)

Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
    Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
    Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

For questions of tactics, The Savage Arts of Playtrolling
  • Smythen wrote:

@Konrad von Richtmark Can you give a rough guide for depkoyment, movement and angling?
    I would much like to, but I'm still figuring it all out myself. Only managed to play three actual games so far. An account of experiences so far and lessons learned can be found over at Warhammer-Empire.

Smythen wrote:

I would much like to, but I'm still figuring it all out myself. Only managed to play three actual games so far. An account of experiences so far and lessons learned can be found over at Warhammer-Empire.

Much readworthy. Thanks. Even some hilarity to be found - like buffwagons, tank and gryphs offering a solution to yer issues. Yer on the right track - no need to stray.
    Why not hold elections for key seats? Oh! And direction of the game - that would also be hella cool :)

Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
    Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
    Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

For questions of tactics, The Savage Arts of Playtrolling