Ninth Age Calendar

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Ninth Age Calendar

Hi,

Probably most people won't care about this issue, but I don't understand at all why the Ninth Age should have its own names of months of the year (like Tandemar, mentioned on p.133 of the BRB) but still keep real-world name of days, such as Wednesday, Monday, etc. which have no root in the setting.

As a reminder, the current names of days in English and half of European languages come from mythological figures that are inherent to our world's history, not theirs.
      In English (and other Germanic langages), the days are named after the Sun, the Moon, and the gods Tyr, Wotan/Odin, Thor, Freya and Saturn
      In French (and other Romance languages except Portuguese), days are named after the Moon, the gods/planets Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn + references to Judaism and to the Christian god.

In some of the other languages which I know (Portuguese, Russian, Vietnamese), days are named after a number.
      In others (Japanese), they are named after the different elements (Fire, Water, Metal, Wood, Earth)
      In others still (Baulé), they are named after specific recurring actions.

Additionally, in Christian countries every day of the year got the name of a given saint.
      The French revolutionary calendar replaced this with a name of plant, animal or tool for every day of the year (today 20th November is the day of the Roller, an agricultural tool).

The WHF universe had a totally original 8-day system with names based on recurring activities (Bakery day, Tax day, etc.)

Why don't we have such a calendar for the 9th Age ? To keep the real-world names for the days of the weeks sounds to me pretty unambitious.

Or maybe did we just forget about it ?
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • Ah good, I'd thought so ;)

Sure, I found several typos also in the fluff text while doing the translation, but unfortunately I haven't noted them anywhere

The two I can remember right now are these :
      p.126 World Hymn – in the 5th line « ley » should be « lay »
      p.132 Religion – there seems to be a problem in the 3rd paragraph « The answer lies in the strength of Mortals, the interaction with us, fleeting beings, draws divine attention » : no matter how I reread and turned this sentence this way or that way, I still can't make any sense of it, probably something is wrong like it should actually be two different sentences and something is missing ?

Yeah we are really getting out of topic now :)
      Maybe I should change the name of this thread ?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ghiznuk ().

• I just stumbled upon this topic and it intrigued me more than I thought.

Assuming that the 9 age uses a lunisolar calendar system for most civilizations. A calendrar life hack that was used in the north to calculate the full moon. A market day in Uppsala, that was a rest from the old Blot (blood) festival was held on a full moon day and an on time arriving 17th century farmer was asked how he know what day the market was supposed to be held at answered by pointing at the sun. He pointed at the sun and then used his thumb to point at the moon. Thereafter he measured the distance between his thumb and pointing finger in thumbs (inches) and if the distance was 7 thumbs then there had been 7 days from last full moon. It was therefore easy to calculate how many days it was left to a new full moon. A simple system that works in the north, assuming the moon and the sun is visible in the same time. Such a story could be used for fluff for Åsklanders or the north in general. Just a thought.

What most intrigued me was the thought of how non lunisolar calendars works in the 9th age. I would imagen that the vermin swarm (or perhaps the dwarves) does not use a lunisolar calendar per se. As a cave dwelling civilization they might not use the sun as a time constant but some other celestial body and have star based diurnal time frame. Such a system might use a liquid mercury water clock to measure the diurnal period and the moon to measure a year. As the season have little impact underground a lunar year seems must relevant. Thus they might use something like the Chinese ke (100/1 of a day, 14,4 minutes) instead of hours and minutes.

When will the different calendars for the 9 age be made public?
    • But so, that still does not reply to the question of the calendar for T9A

In the GBR, we learn that there is a month called « tandemar »,
      but in the Ninth Scroll, I read « November ».

And names of the week are still « Monday, Tuesday… » ie based on real-world gods, not 9A gods.

@Scottish Knight ??
    • Ghiznuk wrote:

But so, that still does not reply to the question of the calendar for T9A

In the GBR, we learn that there is a month called « tandemar »,
      but in the Ninth Scroll, I read « November ».

And names of the week are still « Monday, Tuesday… » ie based on real-world gods, not 9A gods.

@Scottish Knight ??
      I don't have the calendar details to hand - but if I recall, some elements are derived in a similar way, like Sunday - an obvious and common naming trend.

Will try and get a better answer to you soon.

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

Team Scotland ETC 2019 Captain

"I think of the Abyss as being a pretty good catch all term."
    • What's the solar system like in the Ninth Age? Odds are the days are going to be named for the Planets/Gods. For example the Latin Dies Solis was substituted by Dies Dominicus in French (Dimanche) but carried into English as Sunday which means Day of the Sun. Dies Lunae became the Lundi of French and then was rendered into English as Monday all of which means Day of the Moon. Mardi is Dies Martis, the Day of Mars which in English was translated to Tuesday or Day of Tyr. The War God. The Red Planet. Mercredi is the day of Mercury and the Germanic Mercury was Odin, thus Wednesday. Jeudi is the day of Jupiter and the Germanic Jupiter was Thor thus Thursday.

So on that note it would make sense for Kingdom of Equitaine and Empire of Sonnestahl to have the same sort of calendar but with one using the Roman equivalent and one using the German equivalents for their days and planets. Had German been the language of science instead of Greek and Latin we might well refer to Mercury as Odin. These are pretty universal across Eurasia. The Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans refer to the fourth day of the week as the Water Day and the planet Mercury as the Water Star. You also see the fourth day of the week Budhavara in India which is their name for Mercury Day.

So I think it would be reasonable for all Humans to use the same system of planets, gods, and days, with different names.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Col. Tartleton ().

• Col. Tartleton wrote:

What's the solar system like in the Ninth Age?
      The real question is "Is there a solar system?". As stated numerous times T9A setting is a mythological one. The existence of worlds beyond this one is not guaranteed. :)

Background Team

Rules Team

Conceptual Design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
    • Giladis wrote:

Col. Tartleton wrote:

What's the solar system like in the Ninth Age?
      The real question is "Is there a solar system?". As stated numerous times T9A setting is a mythological one. The existence of worlds beyond this one is not guaranteed. :)
      Call them celestial spheres if you prefer. I'm just saying the projection used on the official map is suggesting a spherical body and its pretty safe to say there is a sun and moon and stars. Sounds like a solar system to me. Although I'm perfectly fine with the stars being jewels set in the firmament reflecting the light of the sun or something suitably exotic.
    • A lot of languages, such as Portuguese and Vietnamese, just use numbers.
      Day One, Day Two, and so on.
      Portuguese still has Sabado and Domingo (and, confusingly, Monday is « Day Two », so there is no « Day one »)
      Vietnamese also uses such system.

Still, other languages such as Ba'ule in my country has an original system that is more connected to various actions done during those days (connected to the mythology, not actual actions normal people in their day-to-day life).

Such system was used for the Sigmarite calendar in the Warhammer universe (« King's day », « Tax day », « Bread day », « Market day », etc.).

So we don't even need gods and planets.