Pinned Rules: Short Question - Short Answer (version 2.0)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

  • pk-ng wrote:

    GenePhelps wrote:

    Just to be clear, because its a significant change.

    When attempting to rally.

    Unit started at 40 1wound models
    Reduced to 8 models
    But was joined by a character with 3 hit points

    Rally normal as the current health points of the unit is 11

    Correct?
    I don't get how this is a new rule? FYI it's notAnd you can't do it as rally happens before movement.
    And you cannot join fleeing units
    It is not a new rule, it is a rule that has changed.

    The chance to Rally prior to this edition was based on Models. Now it is based on Health Points

    I was not clear in the example,

    The unit was reduced to 8 RnF models and a Character with 3 health points (He joined the unit prior to it panicking)

    So the unit has 9 models which under the old rules would mean it rallies at 1/2 leadership

    But the unit has 11 health points so it is above 25% Health points and rallies on the base leadership
  • Spears wrote:

    Close Combat Attacks from model parts wielding a Spear gain +2 Agility and an additional +1 Armour Penetration in the first round of combat provided their unit is not charging and is not engaged either in the flank or rear facing.
    If a unit of spears is charged in the front and the flank on the same round, they do not gain the +2 initiative and additional +1 Armour penetration even when allocating attacks to the unit that charged in the front.

    Is that correct?
  • GenePhelps wrote:

    pk-ng wrote:

    GenePhelps wrote:

    Just to be clear, because its a significant change.

    When attempting to rally.

    Unit started at 40 1wound models
    Reduced to 8 models
    But was joined by a character with 3 hit points

    Rally normal as the current health points of the unit is 11

    Correct?
    I don't get how this is a new rule? FYI it's notAnd you can't do it as rally happens before movement.And you cannot join fleeing units
    It is not a new rule, it is a rule that has changed.
    The chance to Rally prior to this edition was based on Models. Now it is based on Health Points

    I was not clear in the example,

    The unit was reduced to 8 RnF models and a Character with 3 health points (He joined the unit prior to it panicking)

    So the unit has 9 models which under the old rules would mean it rallies at 1/2 leadership

    But the unit has 11 health points so it is above 25% Health points and rallies on the base leadership
    If you count health points I think you answered your own question :P

    GenePhelps wrote:

    Spears wrote:

    Close Combat Attacks from model parts wielding a Spear gain +2 Agility and an additional +1 Armour Penetration in the first round of combat provided their unit is not charging and is not engaged either in the flank or rear facing.
    If a unit of spears is charged in the front and the flank on the same round, they do not gain the +2 initiative and additional +1 Armour penetration even when allocating attacks to the unit that charged in the front.
    Is that correct?
    Correct,being charged in flank/rear disrupts their brace.
    Rules Questions?

    ETC 2016 - Referee
    ETC 2017 Warm-up Herford - Head Judge
    ETC 2017 Salamanca - Head Judge
    ETC 2018 - Team Sweden - Ogre Khans (ETC HYPE - CLICK ME!)
  • Lagerlof wrote:

    If you count health points I think you answered your own question :P
    The problem is that example in BRB isn't as accurate:

    For example; aunit started the game as 40 models, was reduced to 9 models, but two Characters had joined the unit. This unittakes a Rally Test on its normal Discipline. Any unit that passes its test is no longer considered Fleeing and mustimmediately perform a Reform. It is Shaken until the end of the Player Turn. If the test is failed, the unit immediatelyperforms a Flee Move.
    2 characters joined the unit - there is nothing mentioned about how many wounds they have and it looks like 1 character counts as 1 wound, I think that we need some form of correction here ;)
  • Hello, I have a few questions :
    • P29 : failed charge : "First Wheelthe unit until it is facing directly towards the Centre of its intended target, [...]" - What if this can't be done with one wheel ? Can we do multiple wheels (if yes, more details needs to be added) ?
    • Same page, same line - "Facing directly" means that the line between the two units centers and the unit front line are perpandicular, correct ? (asking since it changed for close combat)
    • In general, what does it mean beeing in contact with a unit ? Is it being in contact with a model of said unit, with it's boundary rectangle ? Other ?
    • P57 : "The Pursuing unit then Pivots (around its Centre) so that it is facing the same direction as the Pursued unit" - Facing the same direction means that both front facing are parallel ?
    • P57 : "If the Front Facing of the Pursuing unit would overlap an enemy unit’s Boundary Rectangle, it charges thatunit. Remove the Pursuing unit from the Battlefield and then place it back on the Battlefield with its Front inbase contact with its target, in the Facing determined before the Pivot, and maximizing the number of Engagedmodels as normal." - 1) Do we need to account for possible other pursuing unit charging just after when doing the maximisation ? Would guess no, because pursue move are not done at the same time, so no multiple charge ? 2) What if the front facing is overlapping with more than one thing (enemy and impassible, 2 enemy,...)
    • P81 : Pathmaster : "The Wizard may swap any of its Learned Spells for any other Learned Spell in the same Path and/or the HereditarySpell." - It's kind of stupid, but when do you swap ? Either it's a totally new rule like you can swap mid-game, or it could have just been "select yours spells without regard to the label-number of the spell", no ?
    • P84 : Tall : "it counts as one Sizecategory bigger (up to Gigantic) than all intervening models of the same Size without Tall." - What does the "without tall" at the end means ? Is it just "one size bigger" or is it something like between two size ? Two large units looking at each other with a normal tall unit between, does it count as Large or not ?
    • P89 : It's a typo but since I'm already here :P - Mount’s Protection (X): +1 Armour should probably be +X
    • Move or fire looks like an interesting rule. Was it designed for something in particular, like, I don't know, war machines ? Because I don't see them having it right now ;) (I triple checked that, but I can be blind) (edit: unless it's gonna be state in each unit entry, instead of a general rule?)
    Sorry for the annoyance :)

    The post was edited 2 times, last by Alzam ().

  • Slayer Zabojcow wrote:

    Lagerlof wrote:

    If you count health points I think you answered your own question :P
    The problem is that example in BRB isn't as accurate:
    For example; aunit started the game as 40 models, was reduced to 9 models, but two Characters had joined the unit. This unittakes a Rally Test on its normal Discipline. Any unit that passes its test is no longer considered Fleeing and mustimmediately perform a Reform. It is Shaken until the end of the Player Turn. If the test is failed, the unit immediatelyperforms a Flee Move.
    2 characters joined the unit - there is nothing mentioned about how many wounds they have and it looks like 1 character counts as 1 wound, I think that we need some form of correction here ;)
    It does not matter how many wounds they have here, 1/each is enough to get more than 10 wounds, and it's what you need. Agreed this could use another example. But it should follow the same logic as the one for Decimated test : character do not count toward starting, but do toward actual, like before. It's better explained in Decimated. (I think the issue is "Units that are 25 % or less of their starting number of Health Points (starting number taken from the Army List),including joined Characters, must[...]", it isn't super clear if the including character are taken into acount for the actual or starting number)
  • Alzam01 wrote:


    • P57 : "If the Front Facing of the Pursuing unit would overlap an enemy unit’s Boundary Rectangle, it charges thatunit. Remove the Pursuing unit from the Battlefield and then place it back on the Battlefield with its Front inbase contact with its target, in the Facing determined before the Pivot, and maximizing the number of Engagedmodels as normal." - 1) Do we need to account for possible other pursuing unit charging just after when doing the maximisation ? Would guess no, because pursue move are not done at the same time, so no multiple charge ? 2) What if the front facing is overlapping with more than one thing (enemy and impassible, 2 enemy,...)

    Friendly units in the same combat that are pursing are consider Open Terrain therefore multiple overrun charges is possible and therefore you maximise all engaging units.

    Alzam01 wrote:


    • P84 : Tall : "it counts as one Sizecategory bigger (up to Gigantic) than all intervening models of the same Size without Tall." - What does the "without tall" at the end means ? Is it just "one size bigger" or is it something like between two size ? Two large units looking at each other with a normal tall unit between, does it count as Large or not ?

    Unit A Standard (No Tall) -> Unit B Standard (Tall) -> Unit C Large
    Unit A can't shoot at Unit C because Unit B has Tall
    :HE: Beware of the panda....with big guns
  • pk-ng wrote:

    Alzam01 wrote:


    • P84 : Tall : "it counts as one Sizecategory bigger (up to Gigantic) than all intervening models of the same Size without Tall." - What does the "without tall" at the end means ? Is it just "one size bigger" or is it something like between two size ? Two large units looking at each other with a normal tall unit between, does it count as Large or not ?

    Unit A Standard (No Tall) -> Unit B Standard (Tall) -> Unit C LargeUnit A can't shoot at Unit C because Unit B has Tall
    Sorry, I explained badly. The question is more : A Large, B standard (Tall), C Large. Does B count as large here, and therefore no LoS? Since Tall count one size larger than all intervening models of the same size without tall. There is no unit of the same size here.

    Thanks for your answers :)
  • chapter XIV Attacks, Page 62 states that "All Ranged Attacks mage in the Shooting Phase [..] are referred to as Shooting Attacks".
    So if a unit flees due to heavy casulties from shooting and Flees through dangerous Terrain, the damage is considered to be shooting and not ranged because it is in the Shooting Phase?

    Might make a difference if there are Items giving you a save only against one of them (like the old Iron Hide Banner of the Orcs)
  • Nesro wrote:

    chapter XIV Attacks, Page 62 states that "All Ranged Attacks mage in the Shooting Phase [..] are referred to as Shooting Attacks".
    So if a unit flees due to heavy casulties from shooting and Flees through dangerous Terrain, the damage is considered to be shooting and not ranged because it is in the Shooting Phase?

    Might make a difference if there are Items giving you a save only against one of them (like the old Iron Hide Banner of the Orcs)
    DT is not an attack, so I wouldn't say it falls under shooting. It is still ranged (because it's not close combat attacks)
    Rules Questions?

    ETC 2016 - Referee
    ETC 2017 Warm-up Herford - Head Judge
    ETC 2017 Salamanca - Head Judge
    ETC 2018 - Team Sweden - Ogre Khans (ETC HYPE - CLICK ME!)
  • Nesro wrote:

    Page 63, first Sentence:

    "All sources of damage are defined as Attacks, which are then divided into Melee and Ranged Attacks."

    DT is a source of damage. Since it is not Melee, it is Ranged. Used to be like this before iirc
    In that case DT-tests during the shooting phase are shooting attacks.

    @Eisenheinrich @fjugin Intended? Am I missing something?
    Rules Questions?

    ETC 2016 - Referee
    ETC 2017 Warm-up Herford - Head Judge
    ETC 2017 Salamanca - Head Judge
    ETC 2018 - Team Sweden - Ogre Khans (ETC HYPE - CLICK ME!)
  • Lagerlof wrote:

    Nesro wrote:

    Page 63, first Sentence:

    "All sources of damage are defined as Attacks, which are then divided into Melee and Ranged Attacks."

    DT is a source of damage. Since it is not Melee, it is Ranged. Used to be like this before iirc
    In that case DT-tests during the shooting phase are shooting attacks.
    @Eisenheinrich @fjugin Intended? Am I missing something?
    Not intended, and you're not missing anything ;) .
    We'll think of something (probably something along the lines of "All Ranged Attacks made in the Shooting Phase with a Shooting Weapon or made as a Stand and Shoot Charge Reaction are referred to as Shooting Attacks" should do the trick).
  • Dancaarkiiel wrote:

    Dude in plate armour and Ghostly Guard ench gets shot with Alchemy's Lash.
    Wounding on 2+ or 4+? My bet is on 2+, since you get total AS and roll to-wound using it - and that AS isn't actually used (rolled for).


    Agree, total AS of the model.

    The item could give +2 AS against non-magical attacks instead, in that case it would be wounding against just the normal armor save of the model.
    Rules Questions?

    ETC 2016 - Referee
    ETC 2017 Warm-up Herford - Head Judge
    ETC 2017 Salamanca - Head Judge
    ETC 2018 - Team Sweden - Ogre Khans (ETC HYPE - CLICK ME!)