Pinned Infernal Dwarves FAQ

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

    Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

    And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

    • Infernal Dwarves FAQ

      FAQ Thread for ID in 2.0

      Make your questions here and we all together will try to find answers for them. If we cant find the answer, ACS will move your question internally for a solution.
      After that, the question will be moved to the first post to have an updated list of common questions.


      CHARACTERS

      - After reading the KoE subforum, Ive noticed that Insignificant characters can join non-Insignificant units. So can we put a hobgoblin character in a unit with Chosen of Ashuruk?

      Yes, that's possible.


      - Can the weapon teams benefit from engineer rule?

      Engineer only work on "Warmachine", so the answer is no.
      Gunnery team isnt a warmachine like Bound Daemon and Infernal Engine.


      - Lamassus's Aura of Unbinding deactivates "Magical Attacks" from the enemy's enchanted weapon too?

      If the magical attacks rule comes from the weapon enchantment, yes.


      - Infernal Weapon's ruling : "This weapon cannot be enchanted with Weapon Enchantments from the Common Special Equipment section."
      Does it mean that it can be enchanted with our own special equipment (not the common from BRB)?

      Correct.

      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      BARRAGE

      - Can an attack with Strength 0 wound? If yes, what about the following combo?

      Cast Flaming Words (+1 to wound spell) on a Gunnery Team flamethrower. Use the secondary shooting mode, after "hit" the unit becomes flammable so now you have a flamethrower that wounds anything on 5+ while autorerolling to wound. Is it correct?

      Yes, Strength 0 can wound. Just treat it as any other value and calculate the difference between strength and resilience.
      And yes, the Flamethrower example is correct as well.


      - If a Flamethrower explodes due to a misfire, can the explosion affect characters inside a unit? Also if flamethrowers are the only warmachine that can explode, why the explosion is not a flaming attack?

      Yes, if a character is within the D6" affected by the explosion, it can be hit (since the hits aren't distributed).
      There may be other war machines in the game that have a modified misfire table (e.g. a conditional -x on the misfire table). I haven't checked all the books to see if there are any others right now, but there might be at some point - and for those flaming attacks might be inappropriate.

      -----------------------------------------------------------------------
      BOUND & BINDERS

      - Kadim Incarnates have Frenzy, then you are obligated to do a test with the "highest advance rate if the model has more than one Advance value + 7". So it will be "flying movement + 7", but if you fail the test, I cant find anywhere that you are forced to use the same advance value when charging, so if I fail the test, I can declare the charge with my ground movement value for effectively blocking my own frenzy test from Kadims just parking a friendly unit in front of them. Correct?

      Correct. There aren't any rules that force you to use flying movement for the charge.
    • Thank you for this thread.

      1) A question I have asked earlier: If I hit an opponent with two Titan Mortars, does the opponent has to take a
      DT Test (2) if he wants to march ? So does the sprecial rule of the mortar add up if another mortar hits ?

      2) Can an overlord join the disciples of lugar now ? I can´t find anything that says otherwise anymore
      Gotta kill those elves
    • Thanks for participating.
      Im not a member of the rules team so if anyone think that my answers are wrong please say it and I will look for an official answer in the internal forum.

      Larsemann wrote:

      Thank you for this thread.

      1) A question I have asked earlier: If I hit an opponent with two Titan Mortars, does the opponent has to take a
      DT Test (2) if he wants to march ? So does the sprecial rule of the mortar add up if another mortar hits ?

      The rule says ""Any unit that loses one or more Health Points", so it wont stack after multiple hits.


      2) Can an overlord join the disciples of lugar now ? I can´t find anything that says otherwise anymore


      Unbreakable rule "Units with one or more models with Unbreakable can only be joined by Characters with Unbreakable."

      Larsemann wrote:

      If a gunnery team has to take a DT, how many dice does it have to use ?
      Its a Construct so it will suffer the same DT than a chariot depending on each terrain, but you just have to roll one dice because it is standard size
    • I have a question related with frenzy, as you said in the first post you can change your movement fly-ground in order to do a failed charge.

      If you dont mind could you clarify the answer?
      If we look at the rulebook pg 26 " Charges can only be declared at targets that have their Boundary Rectangle in the charging unit’s Line of Sight and that the charging unit has a chance of completing the charge against. This means that the target unit must be within the charger’s potential Charge Range and there must be enough room to move the charger into base contact with its target. When considering if a charge is possible, do not take potential Flee Charge Reactions into account (not even mandatory ones), but do take already declared charges into account (since charging models might have a chance to move out of the way)."

      It specifies that " there must be enough room to move the charger into base contact with its target" i think that if there is enough room to move fliing you must go fliing, if not you musnt check frenzy test with fliing movement, you sould check with movemet rate and then realice that there isno room to move.

      and If look at frenzy rule

      "At the start of the Charge Phase, each of your units with at least one model with Frenzy that could Declare a Charge
      against an enemy unit within the unit’s Advance Rate +7″ (using the lowest Advance Rate among the unit’ models; if
      a model has more than 1 Advance Rate available, use the highest one) must take a Discipline Test, called a Frenzy
      Test. If the test is failed, the whole unit must Declare a Charge this Player Turn. Note that Characters are never forced
      to charge out of their units".

      So the way I understand the rules: If I could declare a charge there must be enough rooom to move if not I musnt check, so If I must use the highest one I must use fly. And after that I say no problem I wanna do a failed charge, I can charge I must charge but Im not going to charge.

      With all my respects this is a bit tricky. If I do acombo charge, I fail the important one and I say ok the rulebook says that I can move 2d6 plus move rate but I musnt so I decide to move 1 inch -> failed charge or I decided to pivot in the opposite direction of the charged unit and go stright ahead -> failed charge.


      Please if you dont mind clarify if the first answer is correct if so my two "weird" examples of failed charges are legal?

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Kaneador ().

    • TobiasP wrote:

      'How much' does Lugars Dice help a Overlord on Great Bull?

      Surely the bull cant reroll anything, but how about hits against the model?
      Will move your question internally to have an official answer.

      GeeksLeague wrote:

      About Bound demon :

      If i take a Mortar Bound Demon : It's cost 390 Pt

      390 count in : Barrage and Bound and Binder OR only 90 point in Barrage and Bound and Binder ?

      Thx
      390 count in Barrage and Bound and Binder

      Kaneador wrote:

      I have a question related with frenzy, as you said in the first post you can change your movement fly-ground in order to do a failed charge.

      If you dont mind could you clarify the answer?
      If we look at the rulebook pg 26 " Charges can only be declared at targets that have their Boundary Rectangle in the charging unit’s Line of Sight and that the charging unit has a chance of completing the charge against. This means that the target unit must be within the charger’s potential Charge Range and there must be enough room to move the charger into base contact with its target. When considering if a charge is possible, do not take potential Flee Charge Reactions into account (not even mandatory ones), but do take already declared charges into account (since charging models might have a chance to move out of the way)."

      It specifies that " there must be enough room to move the charger into base contact with its target" i think that if there is enough room to move fliing you must go fliing, if not you musnt check frenzy test with fliing movement, you sould check with movemet rate and then realice that there isno room to move.

      and If look at frenzy rule

      "At the start of the Charge Phase, each of your units with at least one model with Frenzy that could Declare a Charge
      against an enemy unit within the unit’s Advance Rate +7″ (using the lowest Advance Rate among the unit’ models; if
      a model has more than 1 Advance Rate available, use the highest one) must take a Discipline Test, called a Frenzy
      Test. If the test is failed, the whole unit must Declare a Charge this Player Turn. Note that Characters are never forced
      to charge out of their units".

      So the way I understand the rules: If I could declare a charge there must be enough rooom to move if not I musnt check, so If I must use the highest one I must use fly. And after that I say no problem I wanna do a failed charge, I can charge I must charge but Im not going to charge.

      With all my resopcts this is a bit tricky. If I do acombo charge, I fail the important one and I say ok the rulebook says that I can move 2d6 plus move rate but I musnt so I decide to move 1 inch -> failed charge or I decided to pivot in the opposite direction of the charged unit and go stright ahead -> failed charge.


      Please if you dont mind clarify if the first answer is correct if so my two "weird" examples of failed charges are legal?
      The questions and answers in first post are questions that I made to Rules Clarification Team and I just copied their exact answers, so we can consider anything in the first post "official".

      I will move your question/examples internally and ask for a new confirmation.
    • Answers from Rules Clarification Team.

      TobiasP wrote:

      'How much' does Lugars Dice help a Overlord on Great Bull?

      Surely the bull cant reroll anything, but how about hits against the model?
      Here's how I'd treat it based on the current wording:
      Since close combat attacks target the Great Bull's Def and Res, I'd say the attacks are directed against the mount, so no rerolls for the opponent.
      If the character is on a Bull of Shamut however, close combat attacks against the model use the bearer's Def but the mount's Res, so now I'd say the opponent has to reroll 6s to hit but not 6s to wound.
      But I don't think this is a 'clean' solution. Unless I missed something, I'll try to get a clarification in with the next update.


      @Kaneador

      Regarding the Frenzy thing, this is not as clean as it should be either.
      I completely agree that the line of argument is sound RAI.
      RAW however, the rules don't force you to use fly for the charge move, since the charge move is independent of the declaration of the charge (i.e. the unit needs to take the frenzy test because there is a chance it might complete the charge. If failed, it has to declare the charge, again because there is a chance it might complete it. But when it comes to moving, you may use Fly but you don't have to RAW).
      But we're already discussing how to solve this (potentially by adding that you have to declare if fly is to be used for the charge move at the time of declaring the charge).
    • thank you @Gomio. With the actual answer a model with a big fliing movement and a low ground movement will virtually ignore frenzy rule becouse can be babysiytered and if not you must roll more than a 7 without swifstride. So failed charges instead not desired charges

      In my club we are going to do homemade rules till the hotfix. All of us agreed that the aim of the rule should be the more movement you have the more posible is do a frenzy charge.

      Cheers
    • Simple one (but kinda confusing for me XD):

      Infernal Engine takes the Gun upgrade, how many points now count towards each category?

      Greetings,
      kathal
      "When four Kings abdicate their thrones, do you really have a Kingdom anymore?"

      I kind have a "blog" now: From Beer and Bretzle vol 2

      ETC 2016 - ID
      ETC 2017 - WDG
      ETC 2018 - ID
    • Riddles wrote:

      will a chosen with heroes heart and gauntlets be s6 or s5 and ap4 or ap3. Cheers
      Here you use the Priority of Modifiers (p.12):

      3. * Addition and subtraction.
      -> this is where the gauntlets come in: +1 Str and +1 AP to the chosen's Str 4 and AP 1 = Str 5 and AP 2

      4. ** Rolls always or never succeeding or failing on certain results or Characteristic always set to a certain value or range of values.
      -> and this is where Hero's Heart comes in:
      - Str has to be at least 5: it already is, so no effect/change here.
      - AP has to be at least 3: AP currently only is 2, so it is increased to 3.

      Larsemann wrote:

      A model with volcanic embrace gets flaming attacks, including special close combat attacks. If it wears the
      mask of furnace, is the toxic breath weapon also a flaming attack ?
      If used in close combat (i.e. as a melee attack), yes.

      Kathal wrote:

      Simple one (but kinda confusing for me XD):

      Infernal Engine takes the Gun upgrade, how many points now count towards each category?

      Greetings,
      kathal
      450 pts to Bounds & Binders.
      305 pts to Barrage.
    • Gomio wrote:


      Larsemann wrote:

      A model with volcanic embrace gets flaming attacks, including special close combat attacks. If it wears the
      mask of furnace, is the toxic breath weapon also a flaming attack ?
      If used in close combat (i.e. as a melee attack), yes.

      Thank you for your answer. May I ask why not as a shooting weapon ?

      The Wiki says abou volcanic embrace: "All attacks made by a model part with this special rule (even Special Attacks) gain Flaming Attacks."

      And attacks are according to the rulebook:

      "All sources of damage are defined as Attacks, which are then divided into Melee and Ranged Attacks."

      So i would assume, that it counts even for shooting/stand and shoot.


      I don´t want to argue I just want to make sure

      Thank you
      Gotta kill those elves
    • Larsemann wrote:

      Gomio wrote:

      Larsemann wrote:

      A model with volcanic embrace gets flaming attacks, including special close combat attacks. If it wears the
      mask of furnace, is the toxic breath weapon also a flaming attack ?
      If used in close combat (i.e. as a melee attack), yes.
      Thank you for your answer. May I ask why not as a shooting weapon ?

      The Wiki says abou volcanic embrace: "All attacks made by a model part with this special rule (even Special Attacks) gain Flaming Attacks."

      And attacks are according to the rulebook:

      "All sources of damage are defined as Attacks, which are then divided into Melee and Ranged Attacks."

      So i would assume, that it counts even for shooting/stand and shoot.


      I don´t want to argue I just want to make sure

      Thank you
      In the ID book it says "All Melee Attacks (including Special Attacks) made by model parts with Volcanic Embrace gain Flaming Attacks".

      Probably the Wiki isnt updated.

      You found an unexpected combo anyway. :D
    • Titan Mortar special rule:

      Any unit that loses one or more Health Points......must reroll all natural to-hit rolls of '6'. A War Machine within 8" of a unit that is hit by this weapon must roll a D6 just before shooting; on a roll of 4+ it cannot shoot.


      So if I hit a war mashine and wound it:

      a) it must reroll a to hit roll of 6 (since a war mashine is a unit)

      AND

      b) It mus roll before shooting and on 4+ it cannot shoot.

      So both rules apply when wounding a war mashine ?
      Gotta kill those elves