LostCause’s Backroom at the Lusty Dragon Inn

• Good day Marshals of the Empire!

I thought I’d give you all a quick rundown of how the Scottish Championship went, and how I felt the list performed. So here we go!

Game 1 vs WDG

So my first round game was against a chosen knight spam list. The steel battering ram was made up of 4 units of chosen knights, a killy lord on karkadon, block of warriors housing a sorcerror, and some dogoos. My opponent was the lovely Barry Lynch, an Irish ETC player and all round good guy. Unsurprisingly Barry dropped early, spreading out across the board. Turn 1 and Barry moved everything down field, I was thinking at this point that it might be a bad day at the office, but my shooting turned up and I was able to chaff the units I didn’t want to engage. Slowly but surely I managed to get rid of all his chosen knight units. Barry got a couple of my war machines and my chaff, but was unable to claw back any substantial points. Finished 15-5 to me, secondary was drawn.

Game 2 vs DH

My second round was up against my fellow Team Scotland teammate, David Johnston and his Dwarves. Deej was trying out an experimental list, similar to mine which had decent shooting and solid counterpunch potential. Whilst we had a good laugh playing, the game wasn’t all that interesting. I managed to out-deploy Deej early on, isolating his big block of Greybeards, so Deej deployed in the opposite corner, not convinced that he’d win a straight up shoot off. I managed to kill the Greybeards and a couple small units, whilst Deej got some points for shooting up a unit of Chickens and killing some of my lighter units. Finished 12-8 to me, secondary was drawn.

Game 3 vs SE

The third round saw me play another of my teammates, Mel Campbell and his hippie elves. This was a really tense game, as we each tried to out-shoot the other, and secure the objectives (spoils of war). The game was insanely swingy, with me making an 11 on the dice charge with my chickens into a unit of Kestrel Knights, and Mel sticking in the subsequent combat on a Ld4 test. Crazy game, but really good fun. Finished 13-7 to Mel after he won the secondary.

Game 4 vs VS

My fourth round match up saw me up against another of Ireland’s ETC finest, Ciaran Dunne. This game was bananas. I got all the luck early on, with my shooting absolutely decimating Ciaran’s lines. However, Ciaran managed to conserve a lot of points my hiding his wounded units away from my shooting, and I had to keep throwing chaff in front of his pendulum unit to keep it away from my juicy stuff. Some top-class decision making saved Ciaran from a heavy defeat, and in the end it finished a 10-10 with the objective drawn.

Game 5 vs VC

My final game was against another Scotland teammate, and 9th Age superstar, Alex Wheatley of Thundercocks fame. Alex and I both realised we’d missed out on any real chance of podiuming, so we both played a bit more fast and loose than we might have earlier in the tournament. The secondary was capture the flags, which is always a tall order against VC lists. Alex was running a really nasty Ghoul/Ghast/Strigoi list, with all the regen in the world. I managed to shoot off his big ghoul block in two turns, and spent the remainder of the game avoiding his two big units of Ghasts after my Rocket teams thought they’d be of more use trying to kill themselves than the enemy….also both my units of Chickens went into one unit of Ghasts, with support of an arcane engine, and barely made a scratch….In the end, I got the nudge on the points (12-8), but Alex won the secondary, bringing the final score to 11-9 to the VC.

Overall Thoughts

Overall, I’m pretty happy with my performance, finishing 9th out of 24. I played against 5 excellent players and didn’t lose on battle points all weekend. The main area I struggled with was winning the secondaries. My error count was also pretty low, and the list was able to perform under great stress – a real statement of the strength of the book now.

I’m heading to the English Championships in April, so I’ll be looking to hone my list for then. My thoughts just now are:

• Cut the Engine: It didn’t really ever make a difference, and I think in some match ups, it’s an easy 280pts for the opposition. I’m planning on dropping him for an extra chicken in each of my KoSG units.
    • Spears vs Halberds on HI: I like both options, but I’ve historically favoured spears. However, there was a couple occasions over the weekend where I’d have liked that little bit more fighting power. I’ll test them out before TEC.
    • Pistols vs Repeater Guns: Having been a pistol promoter for a long time, the change to repeater guns was largely a result of the nerf to Quick to Fire. I like the increased ranged threat that the repeater guns give us, but there was a couple times where I either couldn’t fire effectively because I needed to move the Reiter, or the Reiter were too far away to chaff etc. I’m going to give the brace of pistols another go, but I’m still on the fence.
    • Secondaries: Simply, I need to become better at winning the secondary. The objective was often the difference between winning or losing in the tighter games, so I definitely need to become better at closing this area of the game down.
    Host of Mad Git Radio

@Scottish9thAge

LostCause's Backroom at the Lusty Dragon Inn

Team Scotland ETC Coach 2017-2018
  • Hey @Adaephon_Delat

Locket: The locker is really situational, and in 3/5 games made no impact. However, in the other two, the prelate managed to punk a vampire Lord, and scaried a chaos lord enough to make him avoid the unit. It gives the list another way to deal with killy characters, and makes combat with the block less appetising for my opponent. It's a bit like a condom, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Alchemy: I wasn't sure about Alchemy going into the the tournament, but it really showed up. I tended to take the three missiles and corruption of tin, and take altered sight from Cosmo as the hereditary. This meant that my wizard was doing damage every turn, and whilst I didn't count up how many points each unit took over the weekend, the wizard must have been either my MVP or not far off it.

Mortars: Before the tournament kicked off, I managed to get a couple practice games in on the day before. Which I'm glad I did, because I made positional errors with the mortars in both, so I went into the tournament acutely aware that I needed to deploy them well. Their multifunctionality means that, even if they can't shoot at blocks, they can drop a rock on a big target, so I think the key is to remember that and not constantly move them about. Overall, in conjunction with the rockets, they did really well, taking off Ghouls, Greybeards, Chosen Knights, Hold Guardians and Vermin Hulks. Really flexible.

Flanks: In most games I either stacked the chickens on one flank, normally using terrain or the board edge to refuse the other, or I put a chicken unit on each flank. The chickens tend to scare people more than they should, but because I was using them quite defensively, they worked pretty well as a counter charge threat. I think they'll work better with an extra chicken in each unit. One thing I would say, is that I think I did well stopping my opponents getting in behind me. And even if they did, I spread out my warmachines along my back line, so that they couldn't just go for a merry ride through the artillery.

Hope that answers your questions :D
    Host of Mad Git Radio

@Scottish9thAge

• Thanks for sharing and congratz on 9th place vs. tough opposition :thumbup:

LostCause wrote:

Cut the Engine: It didn’t really ever make a difference, and I think in some match ups, it’s an easy 280pts for the opposition. I’m planning on dropping him for an extra chicken in each of my KoSG units.
    Why not take a whole new unit of chickens(3) for the points?
    That would also address the next issue hopefully...

LostCause wrote:

Secondaries: Simply, I need to become better at winning the secondary. The objective was often the difference between winning or losing in the tighter games, so I definitely need to become better at closing this area of the game down.
    Looking at your well balanced list, I find one issue with it.
    Light infantry isn´t expecially good at winning objectives, but half of your scoring units are handgunners.
    Adding another highly mobile resilient unit of sun Griffons could improve your secondary statistics?
    Kruber wrote:
    Imperial Rangers burn the woods ---> Sylvan Elves go cry in the corner.
  • Thanks for your thoughts Marc! You know, if I had enough chickens to field three units, that would be a really good idea! Unfortunately I've 'only' got 8 (4 in each colour), and my painting OCD won't allow me to form a mixed unit :S

I remember in one of the early iterations of the list I had two darts of electoral knights for scoring. Maybe it's worth revisiting that?
    Host of Mad Git Radio

@Scottish9thAge

• LostCause wrote:

I remember in one of the early iterations of the list I had two darts of electoral knights for scoring. Maybe it's worth revisiting that?
    They are decent scorers, that should at least solve the secondary/Mission objective issue.
    Second Option would be to buy more chickens to add scoring units that can also fight :saint:
    Kruber wrote:
  • Hi all! So this weekend was the English Championship 2018. I attended with the list below:

Prelate: General, Plate Armour, Great Weapon, Imperial Seal, Locket of Sunna, Cleansing

Light, Lucky Charm 380pts.

Marshal: BSB, Great Tactician, Shield, Alchemist’s Alloy, Willow’s Ward, Death Warrant,

305pts.

Wizard: Wizard Master, Alchemy, Magical Heirloom, Talisman of the Void, 430pts.

35 Heavy Infantry: FC, Halberd, Household Standard, 435pts.

2x 15 Light Infantry: Crossbow, 400pts.

5 Electoral Cavalry: Musician, Lance, Shield, 220pts.

10 State Militia: Skirmish, Bow, 110pts.

2x 4 Knights of the Sun Griffon: Standard, Musician, Lance & Shield, 950pts.

2x 5 Imperial Rangers, 180pts.

2x 5 Reiter: Brace of Pistols, 360pts.

2x Mortar, 400pts

2x Imperial Rocketeer, 330pts.

Total: 4500pts.

So I thought I’d give you all a quick run through of my games and some of my final thoughts.

Game 1 vs KoE (Encircle & King of the Hill)

First up I played a lovely chap called Peter Bedson with his full knight list of KoE, complete with a scary Hippo Duke. I was fully prepared for a big loss or a big win, depending on whether I could do enough damage to the knights on their way in. I think Peter misplayed deployment, dropping his massive Realm lance alongside his Aspirants on one flank and on a hill, whilst putting his Grails, Damsel and Duke on the other. I understand why he did that, but it allowed me to drop everything on the Realm’s side and attack him in manageable blocks. The next few turns saw me wreak havoc on the knights through shooting and magic. I was also getting the luck of the dice. Peter struggled with his Aegis saves, whilst my Rockets one-shotted the Green Knight and put three wounds on the Hippo Duke (enough to make him pull back). It was always going to go one way or the other in a big way, and unfortunately for Peter, I was getting the luck of the dice. I even managed to nab the objective at the end with my scoring dart.

17-3 (with the objective) to the Empire

Game 2 vs O&G (Marching Column & Spoils of War)

Game 2 saw me up against my long-time friend and teammate Ed Murdoch. Ed had brought the craziest, wackiest, fastest and funniest O&G list I’ve seen in a long time. It was another push list, so once again I knew it was going to be big either way, but the objective meant that Ed was going in with an advantage. This time it was my opponent who was getting the little bits of luck you need in this kind of matchup. Multiple forests hampered my shooting, and the Wrecking Teams, Pump Wagons and Gnashers kept my Chickens honest. I also failed to cause any panics (bloody brave goblins!). In the end, I failed to do enough damage, and whilst I put pressure on late game to try and draw the objective, Ed managed to keep one of the tokens. It could have been much worse, and the list proved resilient even when the shooting failed to do the damage. However, my failure to really compete for the secondary hurt me….as would be the case in the next few games.

16-4 (with the objective) to O&G

Game 3 vs SE (Counterthrust & Flags)

My third game saw me up against Tim Ross who had a fast SE list with some scary combat potential with some Wild Hunters, Kestrel Knights, Blade Dancers and a nasty Prince on a stag. I dropped early for first turn to try and alpha strike some of his scarier units, and to castle in a corner to make him come to me. At this point, I fully expected Tim to sacrifice the couple units opposite my firing line, and drop everything else on the opposite side, but he fancied his chances and tried to push at me. When we spoke about it after, Tim said he underestimated my shooting and magic. In two turns, I’d shot off his Kestrels, most of the Wild Hunters, and my Reiters had managed to get around the flank to threaten his Sentinel bunker. His lord and what was left of the Hunters then went into my big block, where I weathered the charge and then my Prelate started beating up his lord. I also managed to get his Sentinels and Wizard, but the Dancers eventually managed to get into my block, where they went to town on the poor halberds. I lost the unit, but a stalling charge by my crossbows saved the characters who fled then rallied. Tim’s only scoring units were some small units of dryads and archers which he kept far away from me, so the objective went to him.

12-8 (losing objective) to the Empire.

Game 4 vs BH (Frontline Clash & Hold the Ground)

The first game of day 2 saw me up against another long-time friend and teammate, Tim Botkneckt. I must confess for this one, I totally misplayed it and Tim rightly punished me for it. Tim’s list was filled with cheap units, no real combat threats, three Cyclopes, two Jabbers, loads of small ambushers and no BSB. I thought that if I cornered and protected my rear and flanks, I’d either shoot him off if he pushed, or he’d corner in the opposite corner and go for a small loss or draw. I was so very wrong….My castle crumbled from his small arms and cyclops fire, which was made worse by the jabbers screwing up all my discipline tests. By the end of turn 3, my crossbows had run away, my skirmishers (who I’d used as board edge blockers) had run away, and my knight unit who had been holding the middle had been dispatched by a Jabber in the flank. I was looking at a big loss so I decided to push. To be honest, it’s what I should have done from the start. The Chickens managed to secure some points chasing down some units, whilst my big block went in to clear out his lines opposite mine. I managed to actually win on victory points, but Tim had held the centre for longer than me, losing me the objective. I didn’t deserve to get as much as I did out of this game, having totally underestimated Tim’s list and having not played well in the first half. Tim also gave me opportunities in the second half of the game which he could have stopped, but it’s easy to say these things with hindsight. It was a super game, very tight, ending 10-10, but with Tim getting the objective.

13-7 (with the objective) to BH

Game 5 (Refused Flank & Breakthrough)

My final game was against the man, the myth, the legend, Nav Hussain and his O&G. Nav had brought an almost entirely feral list, with two Gargantulas, two doom divers, two units of ferals, a big block of feral Eadbashers, and some chariots and wreaking teams. It was clear he was going to run at me, so I deployed deep and set up the gun line. I actually thought both the scenario and deployment favoured me, so I was happy to sit back early on. Nav took heavy casualties coming forward, at which point he pulled everything back except the big block. Totemic beasts managed to eat my war machines (sad face) and my chaff had been evaporated, but apart from that I hadn’t lost much. On turn six Nav’s big block overran into mine, which I managed to flank with some Crossbows, and clip with a Chicken unit. We beat the living daylights out of each other, with me narrowly winning combat by 1, but he made his break check. I thought I’d had the objective in the bag, with my knight dart and chickens ready to run over the line turn six, but the Spiders blocked their way, so Nav’s big block won it for him. With hindsight, I should have taken the risk and charged one of the Spiders in the hopes I break him and that the overrun was enough, but I didn't go for it. It was a really fun game, and a good way to finish the event.

12-8 (with the objective) to the O&G

Final Thoughts

Overall I finished 43rd, with 48pts and 12082VPs.

I’m a bit disappointed with my final result, and I feel like some big mistakes on my part cost me. But I played five great games against five great players.

In terms of the list, it largely did what it was supposed to. In 4/5 of my games, I scored more VPs than my opponent, but the big issue was the secondaries (which I’d highlighted after TSC). I think I let the list play me in some respects, and I should have been more aggressive in a few of the games. The static-ness of the list hurt me, particularly against the BH and SE. However, it was a heavy shooting list, so it’s not exactly a big surprise. I also feel like I made a couple big mistakes in a few games which cost me (like not being more aggressive against the BH), but that’s part of the experience and it’s the only way we learn.

The MVPs were the Rockets and the Wizard, who easily made their points back and then some. No element of the list really underperformed, I just think I misplayed units at times (like the chickens). I would definitely go back to spears on the big block though, as I just feel better with them. The Reiters with pistols did well, and I liked the backline threat they brought. Overall, I’m still confident in the list, my main issue was myself! It was a super event though, and I had a lot of fun.

In general, EoS did well, with strong representation in the top half of the table and Dan finishing 2nd overall. The book feels like it’s largely in the right place, I think we just need to keep tweaking and testing a few things. The future is bright in Sunna’s light!
    Host of Mad Git Radio

@Scottish9thAge

• Thanks bud. Honestly, for what the list is meant to do (be reliable, not to lose big and to shoot people up), it did just that. The issues all stemmed from its static nature and my failure to really compete for the secondaries. So I’d be reluctant to change much. I’m not overly convinced by the 4 man chicken units, but that might just be because I didn’t use them that effectively this weekend. The mortars are a bit of a pain now, but they are still a solid choice. I don’t regret taking them, but I was forced to put them in vulnerable positions a couple of times because of LoS. So I think there’s now an art form to using mortars effectively.

I’ve already written up a couple different lists, all of which contain a stank. I do miss it, and it gives the list that Swiss Army knife piece.
    Host of Mad Git Radio

@Scottish9thAge

• LostCause wrote:

Thanks bud. Honestly, for what the list is meant to do (be reliable, not to lose big and to shoot people up), it did just that. The issues all stemmed from its static nature and my failure to really compete for the secondaries. So I’d be reluctant to change much. I’m not overly convinced by the 4 man chicken units, but that might just be because I didn’t use them that effectively this weekend. The mortars are a bit of a pain now, but they are still a solid choice. I don’t regret taking them, but I was forced to put them in vulnerable positions a couple of times because of LoS. So I think there’s now an art form to using mortars effectively.

I’ve already written up a couple different lists, all of which contain a stank. I do miss it, and it gives the list that Swiss Army knife piece.
    Yeah I always feel naked when I don't have a tank in my list. With the mortar I have the same problems as you I think. You have to place him exposed to get los, especially with a gunline list... And when I play kotsg bigger then three I always have problems with movement, 200 cm is very broad... Can't imagine playing them with five guys in a unit
  • LostCause wrote:

I’ve already written up a couple different lists, all of which contain a stank.
    ......me too......

Playtester

EoS Community Support

Best in Race: Empire of Sonnstahl - Cardiff GT 2016: Dawn of a New Age 2016: Reading Warfare 2016: The England Championships 2017
    Team Wales ETC 2017 - Beast Herds
    Team Scotland ETC 2018 - Captain

Twitter - @Fthunder89
  • Great write-up, LostCause, thanks for sharing.
    Beast Herd lists are a nightmare for gunline armies with that item reducing our Shooting power and those ambushers.
    I consider that one of our worst matchups,
    Did you miss that popular imperial guard Horde w/sword and shield?
    Kruber wrote: