Native American Themed Army: Nations of Chaske

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• echoCTRL wrote:

No, no a lot of it was me. I was looking through other books to get an idea how BLT would price an army like this. In EOS, Reiters are similar but worse in many ways and those are 29 points per model!!! There is no way I had the pricing right using a version of "Fire on Impact" that was going to allow multiple shots as extra attacks. I also had Skirmish, a better version of Feigned Flight and Counting Coup. The core mounted troops cannot start at 30+ points per model or this army wont function. It needs lots of mobile units. (Reiters cost almost as much as Electoral Cavalry! Why!)

I've walked back some of the changes though. For instance, Tomahawks can take enchantments from the main book and instead of gaining +1 Armour I have it back to +1 Resilience.
      It's your BBQ man and I apologize for the tone of my response.
      I realize cross AB comparisons are the main starting point to pricing. But homebrews don't have the luxury of an existing player base. They rely only on their appeal.
      While it's important to try and get close to start with, I feel the homebrews should be balanced from the opposite side, otherwise no one will ever play them to find out.

In this case and as a WE player of around 15 years I know you have one of the strongest avoidance army books made. However I do not feel it is superior to SE, for many reasons. Not the least of which is that It also has very distinct and possibly even crippling weaknesses that no other AB does. I do not feel these substantial weaknesses were taken into full consideration with those earlier nerfs.

Again your book your rules. Just one person's perception.
      AVOIDANCE FAILS 28% OF THE TIME FOLKS. -SE
      Undying Deathstar Construction Inc.
    • Randdogs wrote:

Have you considered Wendigos or Skin Walkers for a 40 mm entry?
      Yes I have considered them. Wendigos and Skin Walkers are representations of great evil within their Native American traditions. A Wendigo is a spirit which would possess a person and force them to eat their own families. A Skin Walker is a medicne man or woman who has perverted their own magic and turned towards actively corrupting/enslaving the people around them and subverting the values of their culture. Including these as entries would be like adding a deamon to EoS or KoE. Although the people of those factions acknowledge the reality of daemons as real things, no armed forces from those factions would want to work along side such an evil monster. Wendigos and Skin Walkers are complete perversion of the good inside people and the values of the cultures that believe in them. Also I can see these entities as wanting to work against the Nations of Chaske unifying, and would prefer the people be subjugated and enslaved by the DE or eaten and killed by the BH. For these reasons I won't be including them in the army.

Army Design Team

:KoE: :O&G: :SA:
    • echoCTRL wrote:

Randdogs wrote:

Have you considered Wendigos or Skin Walkers for a 40 mm entry?
      Yes I have considered them. Wendigos and Skin Walkers are representations of great evil within their Native American traditions. A Wendigo is a spirit which would possess a person and force them to eat their own families. A Skin Walker is a medicne man or woman who has perverted their own magic and turned towards actively corrupting/enslaving the people around them and subverting the values of their culture. Including these as entries would be like adding a deamon to EoS or KoE. Although the people of those factions acknowledge the reality of daemons as real things, no armed forces from those factions would want to work along side such an evil monster. Wendigos and Skin Walkers are complete perversion of the good inside people and the values of the cultures that believe in them. Also I can see these entities as wanting to work against the Nations of Chaske unifying, and would prefer the people be subjugated and enslaved by the DE or eaten and killed by the BH. For these reasons I won't be including them in the army.
      I was more thinking along the lines of the movie Relic. Where tribes turned one of their own into a monster to unleash on their enemies.

I don't know how loose you are going with the Native American background to make the book.
    • A few days ago you were wondering about how some people would process the invasion of their lands by DE and what sort of cultural dynamics and tactics might result. This podcast episode explores the life of Quanah Parker a famous leader of a tribe of Comanche during the settlement of Texas following its independence of Mexico and early years as a US state.

Quanah's tribe was incredibly violent and waged total war against white settlers and the US and Texas governments. Obviously they represent a rather hyperbolic end of the spectrum of responses to US invasion and genocide, but given you're writing fluff for a war game, it might be useful to you. Consider contrasting with this episode that I may or may not have posted earlier (forgotten at this point) that explores both the US government at this point in history and the Trail of Tears.
    • Gabado wrote:

A few days ago you were wondering about how some people would process the invasion of their lands by DE and what sort of cultural dynamics and tactics might result. This podcast episode explores the life of Quanah Parker a famous leader of a tribe of Comanche during the settlement of Texas following its independence of Mexico and early years as a US state.

Quanah's tribe was incredibly violent and waged total war against white settlers and the US and Texas governments. Obviously they represent a rather hyperbolic end of the spectrum of responses to US invasion and genocide, but given you're writing fluff for a war game, it might be useful to you. Consider contrasting with this episode that I may or may not have posted earlier (forgotten at this point) that explores both the US government at this point in history and the Trail of Tears.
      Thank you so much for finding these!!

Army Design Team

:KoE: :O&G: :SA: