Auxiliary Army: Deepwood Spirits

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Auxiliary Army: Deepwood Spirits

Hereditary -
      Display Spoiler

Verdant Blessing: 10+ 18’’ Permanent *Verdant Blessing replaces Mistwalker.
      Target a terrain piece. That terrain piece counts as a forest in addition any other rules. If successfully cast the caster takes 1 wound with no saves allowed.

Aspects of nature:

Display Spoiler

Aborael Anger: The model and their unit gain hatred. Models with hatred gain battlefocus.

Entwinning Roots: See Sylvan Elf armybook.

Entangling Vines: See Sylvan Elf armybook.

Secrets of the Deepwood: Dryad Ancient only - The model and their unit gain ambush but instead of arriving from the edge of the board the unit may be placed completely within any unoccupied forest, in any formation and direction they wish. The unit may not move that turn.

Ghostbark Shell: The model gains Otherworldly 5+/4+ and loses flammable if it had it.

Sprite infestation: enchanted equipment and special items count as mundane when in base contact with this model.

Witchlights: The model knows Will-o’-the-Wisp and Raven's Wing as bound spells (4+)/(8+).

Artifacts:

Display Spoiler

Sacred Seeds: See Sylvan Elf armybook

Mist Walkers Mirror: See Sylvan Elf armybook

Sigil of Midwinter: The model suffers -3 int to a minimum of 0. Units in base contact with this unit suffer -1 Str, -1 AP, and loose the Flaming special rule if they had it.

Sigil of Waning: The model gains Hatred.

Sigil of Dawning: If this model is within 3’’ of a Forest at the end of its movement phase roll a dice. On a 4+ it regenerates a wound.

Sigil of Full Bloom: The model and its unit gains innate defence +1, or a 5+ if it didn’t have any to begin with.

Characters: 40% Special: No limit Forest Giants: 45%

Core: Minimum 20% Fleet of foot: 25%

Characters

Treefather Ancient: See Sylvan Army Book.

Avatar of Nature: See Sylvan Army Book. May take 100pts of magical artifacts.

Dryad Ancient: See Sylvan Army Book. May take 100pts of special equipment.
      Additional options:
      Queen of Thorns (general only).
      Summers vitality (general only).
      Splintered heartwood
      Mount: Deepwood Giant:

Queen of Thorns:
      The Dryad Ancient gains +2 attacks,
      Lightning reflexes and may take weapon
      Enchantments.

Summers vitality: The Dryad Ancient may become a Wizard Master for 225pts, and must choose Druidism. Throne of Vines is always considered to be cast by this model and the range of / Fountain of Youth is increased to 24’’.

Splintered Heartwood: The Dryad Ancient gains Scout, Fear and From the Deepwood

Tree Shepherd: See Sylvan Army Book.
      Additional options:
      May be the Battle Standard Bearer for 50 pts. This Battle Standard Bearer may take a Banner Enchantment. If the model takes an Aspect of Nature, the total cost of that Aspect and this Banner Enchantment cannot exceed 100 pts. If this model does not take an Aspect of Nature, it may take up to two Banner Enchantments instead of one .

Forest Warden (0-1). The Tree Shepherd and all Treekin in the same unit gain +1 OS and, and may be upgraded with the following weapon options:
      Great Weapon - 15pts per model
      Thicket bow - Range 30” Str 5 AP 2 Volly Fire Aim(4+) Accurate. - 15pts per model.

Deepwod Giant: Gigantic. 150x100. Beast. The mount counts towards Forest Giants.

Global: Mv 6’’ March 12’’ Dis C Fearless, Forest Walker, Stubborn
      Defence: 6 HP Def 2 Res 7 Sv 1+* Spec 6+ Primeval carapace*, Otherworldly (6+), Mounts protection(1)
      Off Att 4 Off 3 Str 7 AP 3 Agi 1 Impact hits (2d3), Sweepinig blows

Primeval carapace: This model has innate defence 5 that cannot be improved in any way. For every wound suffered this model’s innate defences decreases by 1 to a minimum of 0.

Sweeping blows: +1 to hit against large or standard sized models at least 1 full rank.

Core

Dryads: See Sylvan Elf armybook.
      Additional rule: Leader of the pack. As long as the champion is present in the unit, it may perform swift reforms as if it contained a musician.

Warhounds in units larger than 8: See Warriors of the Dark Gods book.

Special

Forest Eagle: See Sylvan Elf armybook.

Treekin: See Sylvan armybook.

Fleet of Foot
      Sprite Swarms: Swarm.

Global Adv 3’’ March 6’’ Dis 7 Supernal, Skirmish, Scout, Vanguard,Fearless, Forest Walker
      Fly Adv 6’’ March 12” Faeri Dust

Defence HP 4 Def 3 Res 2 As - Sv 4+/6+ Otherworldly (4+/6+), Distracting.
      Off Att 4 Off 3 Str 2 Ap 3 Agi 6 Poison.

May take weapons:
      Toxic throwing weapons (4+), Each successful hit causes a toxic hit.
      Paired Weapons,

Faeri Dust: Friendly models within 6’’ gain Magic Resistance (1)

Sabretooth: See Ogre Kharns army book.

Darkwood Dryads. Infantry.

Global Adv 6’’ March 12’’ Dis 8, Fearless, Forest Walker, Light troops, Fear, From the Deepwood, Scout

Defence 1 HP Def 4 Res 4 As - Sv 5+ Otherworldly (5+)

Off Attack 3 Off 5 Str 4 AP 2 Agi 5 Hatred

From the Deepwood: Models with this rule may Scout into forests as long as there is no enemy model within 6’’ of the forest. When performing a charge a unit with more than half its footprint within a forest at the beginning or end of the charge gain swiftstride and loose light troops.

Eagle King: See Sylvan Armybook

Forest Giants

Treefather: See Sylvan Elf army book.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Alexwellace ().

• Reasoning:

Due to the popularity of Tree Spirit only Sylvan Elf lists I thought an Auxillary list would be the perfect place to showcase them in a unique play style without overbloating the Sylvan book.

Goal of the book:

To give more variation to Tree Spirit lists. Special deployment should be a speciality of Forest Spirits, so I have them 2 units with Scout and an Ambushing ability to come out of forests (or Terrain pieces that count as forests due to the hereditary). A unit of Scouting Deepwood Dryads with a Splintered Heartwood Matriarch to give them battlefocus seems like a strong blender unit.

To give the Character section a revamp, Forest Spirits should have similar (but less) custom-ability as Daemons, as they are potentially just as old and just as devastating. The ability to have an Avatar of Nature with a 2+/5++/4++ vs magic on a defensive build, or a hatred battle focus Str 7 Avatar as an offensive build would give a lot of variation. Or a melee Matriarch general with Heroes Heart for 6 LR hatred attacks vs a Druidism Master Matriarch directing 24'' healing waters to the armies many Treemen. Perhaps this Goddess of Life could even ride upon a Deepwood Giant (I don't know, a beetle perhaps?) to make best use of Druidism synergy to keep the Beasts armour save high.

Too give Treekin a bit more of an active role via Forest Warden giving them Great Weapons and Ws 5 or as scoring fire support with Bows.

Prices:

I haven't included any yet, partly because I'll need time to compare between similar items and also because I don't really know how powerful these things will be. The idea is that each of the seasonal Sigils would be the same points, probably around 55 or 60, with them all having similar power levels.
    • Alexwellace wrote:

Reasoning:

Due to the popularity of Tree Spirit only Sylvan Elf lists I thought an Auxillary list would be the perfect place to showcase them in a unique play style without overbloating the Sylvan book.
      You may want to consider to place the background of you book somewhere outside Vetia. Maybe Virentia to get a more jungle background? Maybe close to the Shattered See if you want some overlap with DL?
    • @tiny

The Sylvan army book unfortunately didn't go into any real detail about the nature of the Forest Spirits, how they came about, what they are or where they draw their power from. We've heard a few things, like they are closely tied to Daemons and the Supernal plane (this was why they had Divination), but apart from that we the public no basically nothing about these spirits. So I thought best to not set myself into any specific back ground and instead move with themes, in that Forest Spirits without Elven compassion to stay their hand should be darker, crueler and much more violent then their counter parts that dwell within and around Sylvan society. But I guess in theory the Wrathful Mountains in southern Virentia fit that theme pretty well. I like the idea that there is a section of jungle even the Lizardmen don't go to due to angry, vengeful forest spirits.

Is there a background team member I can speak to for confirmation? Why are Forest Spirits found in Wyscan, and are they found elsewhere? What makes a forest magical, and by what process do the Forest Spirits inhabit the trees? They have a lot in common with Daemons, but are they daemons possessing trees or are they unique entities with a tree-like shape?
    • SE could be found across the world, from Virentian jungle to cold taiga, to swampy groves. Although Wyscan represents a cultural heartland, it's not the only place they are found.

Forest spirits are Supernal beings made manifest in natural bodies. We will put out more info on this line - but basically a forest spirit list could be based anywhere in the world. Since it's already limited to spirits specifically, it might be better not to limit the geography at the same time - unless you specifically want to use a particular biome.

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

Team Scotland ETC 2019 Captain
    • That's good to know that Sylvans aren't confined to a single geographical location, allows for a much greater level of diversity (and perhaps an Auxiliary possibilities for Amazon-esque Sylvans). A few more questions if you have the time :)

What of the relationship between the Sylvan Elves and the Forest Spirits? What is it based on? As in does the symbiosis occur simply due to shared habitat or is there some sort of covenant between the two? Would it make more sense for an Elf-less Forest Spirit auxiliary army to come about simply due to the lack of Sylvan Elves in the area or rather that these Forest Spirits rebelled against the Sylvans encroaching onto the Forest Spirits sacred places and drove them out?

Similarly important is what drives a supernal to manifest in a natural body, and where is this likely? Are we looking at Supernal beings within the forest or is the forest itself magical which then draws in and supports Supernal beings to manifest there? E.G Does the Forest have it's own consciousness (Ala Athel Loren or the planet from Avatar) or is it simply inhabited by magical beings (Ala Lothlorien from LotR)
    • Alexwellace wrote:

What of the relationship between the Sylvan Elves and the Forest Spirits? What is it based on? As in does the symbiosis occur simply due to shared habitat or is there some sort of covenant between the two? Would it make more sense for an Elf-less Forest Spirit auxiliary army to come about simply due to the lack of Sylvan Elves in the area or rather that these Forest Spirits rebelled against the Sylvans encroaching onto the Forest Spirits sacred places and drove them out?
      This could vary from place to place. Generally it's likely to be a sense of kinship and shared purpose - more than simply coincidence of being near one another. However, that does not prevent particular elves from falling out with the local forest spirits - again, that's part of allowing for internal fighting which is needed to reflect the game.

To me, that feels like an individual call - again, unless it's the theme of the book (forest spirits revenging themselves on elves - probably more of a campaign) then I wouldn't close off either option personally.

Alexwellace wrote:

Similarly important is what drives a supernal to manifest in a natural body, and where is this likely? Are we looking at Supernal beings within the forest or is the forest itself magical which then draws in and supports Supernal beings to manifest there? E.G Does the Forest have it's own consciousness (Ala Athel Loren or the planet from Avatar) or is it simply inhabited by magical beings (Ala Lothlorien from LotR)
      The second example is more likely. There can be all manner of reasons for spirits crossing into the Mortal Realm - that's a very broad potential. They could be serving a god, escaping enemies in the Immortal Realm, seeking the pleasures of a physical form, or many more. @Giladis - if you have time to add some suggestions more specific to SE, I am sure it would be appreciated!

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

• Sure. You just need to tell me what I can share. Because since we created the SE book some things in our representation of material have changed slightly.

I will make a paragraph from the Sage for you to check before sharing here as directly answering these questions would go too deep and define for each individual user what exactly a forest spirit is.

Background Team

Rules Team

Conceptual Design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
    • Giladis wrote:

I will make a paragraph from the Sage for you to check before sharing here as directly answering these questions would go too deep and define for each individual user what exactly a forest spirit is.
      No problem - we can add it to the next Scroll too.

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

• @Scottish Knight could I perhaps poke you a little, or ask you to pass my poke along to the right people to be talking to :P

I understand not wanting to too heavily define what some of the things in the world are, but I really think we are missing some crucial information about the Sylvan-Spirit relationship to be able to do anything with it.

If Forest Spirits are supernal taking natural forms, why do they work together? Presumably these Supernals don't aren't all from the same branch of the tree, so why would they be any less factious than other daemons? Why do Dryads follow treefathers; i.e just because they where stronger supernals before they crossed over or do they owe actual allegiance to them in the same way lesser daemons would to greater daemons? If there is no guiding force to the forest spirits to make the decision to work with the Sylvan Elves, why would they form alliances consistently enough around the world for them to be included within the army book?

tl;dr what binds forest spirits together as a cohesive faction, then what binds that faction to the sylvan elves.

I think this is an example of why the human-eye perspective has trouble when creating the army books, because in my eyes this information is crucially important to Sylvan players but almost impossible to convey using the way that we did. At this moment I have a better idea about how Infernal Dwarves interact with the Supernal entities in their un-released book than I do about our own :S

Thanks for your time :D

@Kudis I'll revisit this as soon as we get a bit more details about what exactly Sylvan spirits are, then we can delve into what an army made up 'just' of them should look like.
    • Alexwellace wrote:

tl;dr what binds forest spirits together as a cohesive faction, then what binds that faction to the sylvan elves.
      Common goals emerging from sharing a habitat in a non competitive way (most of the time). But that is a very broad brush. There are forest spirits that do not cooperate with elves and vice versa. Our factions and global and diverse.

Background Team

Rules Team

Conceptual Design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
    • Alexwellace wrote:

I think this is an example of why the human-eye perspective has trouble when creating the army books, because in my eyes this information is crucially important to Sylvan players but almost impossible to convey using the way that we did.
      It's an area we could have explored in more detail, and will in future.

It's important to bear in mind that Supernal is a much much wider category than daemons. So while daemons may be chaotic and capricious, not every supernal needs to be the same.

In this case, their nature and woodland affiliation gives them strong reason to ally with sylvan elves, as Giladis has said.

Executive Board

Head of Background Team