Requesting a very much needed entry for new players: a simple website

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Due to a temporary issue, avatars are currently disabled. Don't worry, this is known and looked at!

• Neaj wrote:

@Ok@mi

If you put a picture of a game on the front page, what about the companies who are supporting this project whose models are not depicted ?
    It could very well be held as an open contest between said companies to provide the best pics available from their own range shown in an interesting way. There could be several pictures rolling back and forth, if the programers of the website can do that. The thing is, what interests the project the most, and by default, the supporting companies, is making the product as appealing as possible. This means, if the photos are good and show what we need to show in a way that creates enough interest to click on the other links and get into it, it also benefits the companies selling said minis.

However this might be done, it is giving a platform for miniature producers to showcase their range, and it should be in their best interest to get the best images possible so they can create flow towards their websites and sell stuff.

I am old school through and through, and I still drool over images such as these ones:

I really think the format of the website and similar imagery could get old gamers back -remembering the Golden Days- and new in -tested and proven layouts used in old materials.

There are a couple of books that make me remember very fond memories on my nerdiness: the Battle Bestiary:

And the aD&D 2e Monster Manual:

The reason for this is very simple: it had all that I needed to get my imagination run wild. First, there were drawings of the creatures. Secondly, descriptions about their characteristics, interests, special abilities... etc. And third, there was a profile beside them that made the abstract explanation of how powerful they really were into measurable stats.

I thinks this format is very adequate to get people into any gaming system. Even if you don't go creature by creature showing what they are, having an idea of what the army does and looks like, with also some rules behind said explanation. It makes a great introduction to anyone.

But these are just ramblings of a crazy guy.
    LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO PAINT YOUR MINIATURES EASY AND FAST WITH A NO-BRAINER TECHNIQUE:
    :mentalist: youtube.com/c/MiguelGarciaFernandez :mentalist:
  • Casp wrote:

@Iluvatar i dont see good reason to be afraid of a static html webpage.

Really this is not true, an html static page is so a basic stuff, it not harder than editing a word document. And if you do a really simple landing page, in fact you dont even need to edit it.

But the static option is there just because its really simple. So could be done in one day of work if you got already the content.
    But if you want a dynamics landing page, well do it, you could use a CMS if you want.
    Like i already explain to tiny, there is no special reason to the forum to be installed in the same part of the landing page.

You could create 2 website on the same server, with the same domain name, and create link between them.

Illuvatar, you are french no ?
    I could explain to you more easily in french if needed.
    I'll try to explain my requirements better then. :)
    • I want, if possible, a unified website. Not an entry page that looks different from the rest of it.
    • This means that the style you select for the forum should be reflected on the front page.
    • You should have the same menus on the welcome page as on the other ones (note: way fewer menus, though. Few categories, with dropdown list of submenus. For instance, the Community menu would group the Map, the Members, the Calendar, "About us"; "Downloads" would group the current Downloads tab, the beta one, the Filebase one...).
    • You should be able to login/logout on the welcome page, for the reasons above.
    • If we add a menu/submenu to the "main website", the welcome page should reflect it.
    • Probably more stuff that I can't remember right now. :P
    This makes the welcome page more than a "simple html page".

If it was just an html page, even I could do it, and I'm not a web designer. :) But any change to it requires manual upload to the servers, which is not convenient, because very few people can do it (and I have a firewall at work that prevents me from doing it without shenanigans).

As said above, the forum is only part of the software we use. It is already a CMS, but the current version is not very suited to adding html pages. The next version of the CMS software is. That's why it's my preferred solution.
    T9A vacations on going. Not available on the forum.
    For any admin matter, please contact @tiny or @Grimbold Blackhammer.
    For any matter related to French translation, please contact @_Gg (Groumbahk).
    For any matter related to magic cards, please wait until I'm back. They're finally done! See the Beta Rules tab or Professionally printed Magic cards
  • Iluvatar wrote:

Casp wrote:

@Iluvatar i dont see good reason to be afraid of a static html webpage.

Really this is not true, an html static page is so a basic stuff, it not harder than editing a word document. And if you do a really simple landing page, in fact you dont even need to edit it.

But the static option is there just because its really simple. So could be done in one day of work if you got already the content.
    But if you want a dynamics landing page, well do it, you could use a CMS if you want.
    Like i already explain to tiny, there is no special reason to the forum to be installed in the same part of the landing page.

You could create 2 website on the same server, with the same domain name, and create link between them.

Illuvatar, you are french no ?
    I could explain to you more easily in french if needed.
    I'll try to explain my requirements better then. :)
    • I want, if possible, a unified website. Not an entry page that looks different from the rest of it.
    • This means that the style you select for the forum should be reflected on the front page.
    • You should have the same menus on the welcome page as on the other ones (note: way fewer menus, though. Few categories, with dropdown list of submenus. For instance, the Community menu would group the Map, the Members, the Calendar, "About us"; "Downloads" would group the current Downloads tab, the beta one, the Filebase one...).
    • You should be able to login/logout on the welcome page, for the reasons above.
    • If we add a menu/submenu to the "main website", the welcome page should reflect it.
    • Probably more stuff that I can't remember right now. :P
    This makes the welcome page more than a "simple html page".

If it was just an html page, even I could do it, and I'm not a web designer. :) But any change to it requires manual upload to the servers, which is not convenient, because very few people can do it (and I have a firewall at work that prevents me from doing it without shenanigans).

As said above, the forum is only part of the software we use. It is already a CMS, but the current version is not very suited to adding html pages. The next version of the CMS software is. That's why it's my preferred solution.
    Do you have a link to a website that works like that for reference? As far as I am aware, pretty much all websites separate forums from other content.
  • Iluvatar wrote:

You should have the same menus on the welcome page as on the other ones (note: way fewer menus, though. Few categories, with dropdown list of submenus. For instance, the Community menu would group the Map, the Members, the Calendar, "About us"; "Downloads" would group the current Downloads tab, the beta one, the Filebase one...).

I am not sure its the good idea.
    All the interest of such landing page website is precisely to not get all those information. They are unwanted.
    Make information clear and simple 3 or 4 link. Just to undersatnd what is T9A in few words, and get direct access to all documents needed to play. Only what is necessary, nothing more.
    You dont need, calendar, map, etc..
    You should separate, the community part from the presentation part.

After this, of course if you could united everything one CMS its better. Like this you could use recursive information at different part of the website easily. (by curiosity wich CMS T9A use ? )

But this landing page miss since the beginning to really promote T9A. and the come of the V2.0 make it more crucial.

A simple html landing page , would have done the job really well with really few works. Then when you will have time to really create an enterely new website, you could delete the static landing page, and integrate forum and website in one entity.

Just decide wich content simple and provisional should be on the landing page, ask to somebody who know html, and do it.
    Then replace it as soon you have something better.

But actually there is nothing ... Except landing in the community part, wich seems extremly complex and not user friendly.
    cas-p.net / graphic & web designer.
    SE - VS - O&G - EoS / 9th age player.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Casp ().

• Ok@mi wrote:

So, is there a posibility of making something simple like what I've proposed within a reasonable timeframe so we can get players in ASAP?
    Unknown it will depend on how much time our admins have available. Making sure it is ready for 2nd gold release is probably achievable.

Background Team

Conceptual Design

Rules Advisors

THE THRONG OF NEVAZ RIG - ARMY BLOG; UPRISING 2018 - 26/27 May - Singles Tournament
  • Giladis wrote:

Ok@mi wrote:

So, is there a posibility of making something simple like what I've proposed within a reasonable timeframe so we can get players in ASAP?
    Unknown it will depend on how much time our admins have available. Making sure it is ready for 2nd gold release is probably achievable.
    @Giladis @Calisson what about mirror-sites? I was thinking of UN and Translation teams manning language-specific mirroring sites linking to specific sections of the forum. Let's say:

9thAgeItalia.it

Menu
    Forum -------> t9a forum, Italy subsection
    The World
    The Story
    The Game
    etc.

That would help also the main site seo/google index I think ( @Iluvatar ?) and somewhat double our showcasing capability.

Display Spoiler

A jackal, O Karna, residing in the forest in the midst of hares regardeth himself a lion till he actually sees a lion.

Display Spoiler

Tu regere imperio populos, Romane, memento
    (Hae tibi erunt artes), pacique imponere morem,
    Parcere subjectis et debellare superbos.

• VisconteDimezzato wrote:

@Giladis @Calisson what about mirror-sites? I was thinking of UN and Translation teams manning language-specific mirroring sites linking to specific sections of the forum. Let's say:
    9thAgeItalia.it

Menu
    Forum -------> t9a forum, Italy subsection
    The World
    The Story
    The Game
    etc.

That would help also the main site seo/google index I think ( @Iluvatar ?) and somewhat double our showcasing capability.
    @Fenrie and the whole UN-FR team have been maintaining some kind of translated mirror site for months.
    Fenrie, care to comment?

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • I've been out all these months: work, life, and certain burn out from T9A seemingly going in circles -or discussing about changing bases from round to square on WM, which made me mad beyond reasoning.

I am looking forward to seeing 2.0 appear, buy a book from @JimMorr. But, I was wondering if there has been made, or if there are plans to make a website like the one i proposed. I've read some comments in current threads about people who got interested, saw the forum and were overwhelmed by it, never coming back.

Is there or will there be a hook website so we can reel them fish?
    LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO PAINT YOUR MINIATURES EASY AND FAST WITH A NO-BRAINER TECHNIQUE:
  • It sounds quite sensible, mostly if you consider the links provided to their online stores or to showcase their products and point to the nearest flgs, which would be the optimal solution: business for producers and for the places where community can actually GROW.
  • I cannot agree more on the need of website, where all the information are summarized nicely. (world, armies, links to miniatures).

I think we don´t need anything that special, just some thematic graphics for menus and images and some artwork. It is not a rocket science.

Currently there are lot of solutions available, like the templates, which lets you build the pages the way you want and with some wysiwig editor like adobe dreamweaver the page with basic information can be made pretty quickly.

Just browsing for some templates, I stumbled upon this for example:
    preview.themeforest.net/item/c…ll_screen_preview/9228123

lots of demonstrations of what is possible are available, I would say it is really mostly about having a good graphics and some content. The editing is pretty easy, I did quite a lot of such stuff when in my university time.

Without proper website, we do not exist in today´s world.
  • Casp wrote:

A simple html landing page , would have done the job really well with really few works. Then when you will have time to really create an enterely new website, you could delete the static landing page, and integrate forum and website in one entity.
    I still say this is the way to go to improve our clarity.

any news on this front?

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

• Discussions happening. A dedicated team will be formed soon. I'm setting up the test server to evaluate stuff. :P
    Probably won't happen on the public forum before a few weeks...
    T9A vacations on going. Not available on the forum.
    For any admin matter, please contact @tiny or @Grimbold Blackhammer.
    For any matter related to French translation, please contact @_Gg (Groumbahk).
    For any matter related to magic cards, please wait until I'm back. They're finally done! See the Beta Rules tab or Professionally printed Magic cards