Thinning miniature paints? What's the story behind this???

• ive recently started thinning my paints and using a wet pallet. Its a pretty big improvement over how i used to paint. I dont use water to thin the paints because the pigment doesn't mix evenly. Ive been using a drop or two of the vallejo thinning mediums and you get a really nice thin coverage that doesn't look gunky. Using those mediums, i can also make usable washes that do what they're supposed to and pool in the recesses without darkening the entire model.

Ive just painted the entire shadespire line and those minis look much better than say my dark elf army that i painted before i started thinning. And it wasnt even any extra work. Each warband I completed in just one night so i wasn't trying that hard and they're still a significant step up from my normal work.

The mediums aren't really cheap to buy from vallejo or GW, but "Luke's aps" channel on youtube shows you how to make the mediums in bulk for a pretty low cost.

Its not necessary to do it certainly, especially for the 9th age where the individual models arent as impressive as the entire painted army, but I'd make a wager that if you tried it out, you'd stick with it.

Post by Baranovich ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • if they're using those pics to sell people on thinning paints then yeah, its misleading. Ive painted some very nice stuff without thinning, but just because some youtube jerks use clickbaity images to make them look cool, doesn't undermine the technique though.

Your deamon looks very nice. But that doesnt change the fact that it might look better or have been easier to achieve with thinned paints. I didnt really mention it, in my last post, but thinning paints also makes blending and shading easier on top of looking better than what i used to do. Ive also been messing around with zenithal highlighting. Joined with thin paints, it makes shading and highlighting so much easier. Sometimes to the point where you dont even have to do it. Just painting over the zenithal primer with a thin base coat and its already shaded and highlighted with no extra work.

Edit: Gw paints may need to be thinned more than others, i generally use either gw or vallejo model color paints because hobby lobby sells them. Both of them benefit greatly from being thinned. If you've found a brand that you dont feel needs any thinning, then perhaps the thread should be more about the great pre thinned paints that are available.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Korvain ().

• @Baranovich after reading your edited post, I think more people would have agreed with you if you'd have opened with that. There's a big difference in saying that thinning paints is unnecessary and pointing out a piant line that does it for you. Since im not that happy with what ive been using I'll definitely try some of their paints out in the future.

Edit: forgot to thank you for the recommendation. Thanks, and I'll definitely try them out.

Post by Baranovich ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • On alcohol. It reduces surface tension of water. Adding pure water may result in paint gathering in one place rather than spreading on whole surface. Paints do contain chemicals reducing the tension but when you add too much water they may fail to work properly.
      stormrider.pl/
      facebook.com/StormRiderPL/
      _____________Report your battle results using mobile app: T9A Magic Flux!
    • JimMorr wrote:

On alcohol. It reduces surface tension of water. Adding pure water may result in paint gathering in one place rather than spreading on whole surface. Paints do contain chemicals reducing the tension but when you add too much water they may fail to work properly.
      that is a bloody good point. Why isn’t it the de facto rule to thin with ethanol rather than water when choosing to thin paints? Isn’t less surface tension better in most circumstances ?
    • The Beninator wrote:

JimMorr wrote:

On alcohol. It reduces surface tension of water. Adding pure water may result in paint gathering in one place rather than spreading on whole surface. Paints do contain chemicals reducing the tension but when you add too much water they may fail to work properly.
      that is a bloody good point. Why isn’t it the de facto rule to thin with ethanol rather than water when choosing to thin paints? Isn’t less surface tension better in most circumstances ?
      Water works better for layering. You apply layers so thin, that ethanol would dry too quickly. For really soft blends you water down the paint so much that when you paint a stroke, the paint dries about a second after it's applied. In general, mediums that slow down solvent evaporation are preferable. For example a drop of dish soap has pretty much the same surface-tension-reducing effect without causing paint to dry too quickly.

But I guess it comes down to personal preference and preferred painting techniques.