The Koghi Empire of Gold - PLAYTESTERS WELCOME

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• The griot now paused, and put on an intriguing smile on his face :
      « Great Warrior, however, the elder asked me to ask you, since when are monkeys allowed to fight in the greatest army of men ? »

This sentence was pronounced pointing at the young man sitting directly on the right of Kanta. Kanta frowned. He didn't like that sudden attention to a notorious rival of his, a man of prince Buruma Don Foli, the main competitor to the designated heir to the throne of Koghi.

Meanwhile, the young soldier raised his hand to speak, looking dead serious.

« Tcheliwe, I thank you for this question. My name is Yiêh Katchênê Tanhekubleman, I come from the realm of Nyakara where the good king Soliyé Yefungwonyigi Funyigé, a loyal subject of the Koghi, chose me to serve in the army of our Father, the King of Kings – praised be his judgement. I would like to ask my commander and elder brother,farariya Kanta Abubaker, his forgiveness for interrupting this discussion, but he will surely agree that this question would be best answered by myself, since it is my presence here that is put into question.
      – My answer to the elder is this : why couldn't monkeys serve in the army of our Father, the King of Kings, since even low dogs such as the Kweni are also deemed fit for his service ? »

The griot smiled and translated back to the elder, who burst out laughing, and expressed himself in a rather broken Koghinan.

« That'd make you a slave of dogs then, Nyakaratché ! I don't envy you at all ! But your master is good ! You are in good hands. Women ! Send some good beer to this slave of mine ! Tonight he shall dine with me in my compound ! I wouldn't want him to go back to his homeland and say that he was ill-received by the Kweni ! Zrandorzan ! I declare this meeting is over. Go have a rest now, we will talk more and celebrate tomorrow. »

Thanks and blessings were again exchanged for some time.
      It was getting really dark now, and the circle of curious villagers grew thinner, as each of them went about their evening activities. The Koghians were guided to the compound that had been cleared for them. They hadn't got any real rest nor any good food and clear water for weeks now. That first night in Kulufla was very promising.
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • Thanks.
      I had to find translations and names in three different languages for this one.
      My purpose was to show that there are many different nations united under the King of Kings, and that even a puny group such as the Kweni can consider themselves as superior to the Koghi for historical « alliance » reasons, which the Koghi accept ; the Koghi do not impose their point of view, as long as their military might is respected.

I also introduced the name of the real Koghi capital, Mandiani. I just crafted to sound like « Mandingo ». Mandiani is the equivalent of « Niani » ; that was the (now disappeared) city where the Malian emperor had his court, the origin of the Mandinka empire, although by the end of the 15th century the most famous, rich, and prosperous city was Timbuktu.
      I tried contacting @Niedfaru about this issue but didn't get any reply from him, so that's how I've just decided to make it up by myself :tongue:

It is rather common in Africa (actually, on every continent) up to this day to have an « economic » capital separated from the « political » capital. The economic capital is typically located on the seacoast (or, in that case, the « desert coast ») for welcoming traders and ships/caravans from afar, it is bustling and very multicultural, whereas the political capital is more centrally located, in a place easy to defend and from where it is easy to recruit an army of people (typically warrior-farmers) of the same ethnicity/ideology/religion than the king/president/ruling class.
      Examples of such split would be Lagos/Abuja, Abidjan/Yamoussoukro, Douala/Yaoundé ; in Asia, we have Hanoi/Saigon, Beijing/Shanghai, Delhi/Mumbai ; in Europe, Sevilla/Madrid, Saint-Petersbourg/Moscow ; in America, New York/Washington.

I want to make clear also in my story that the dominant ethnicity in the Koghi Empire is not called « Koghi ». The Koghi historically are the salt merchants from the desert, of various ethnicities, who placed themselves under the protection of the Mandi (or whatever we wish to call them) kings and warriors. So « Koghi » is the name of that dominant class, wheras the people who inhabit the empire are the « Koghians » (and the language is « Koghinan », thank you Calisson ;) ). So there is kind of the same distinction as between real life « Russian » (and ethnic « russkij », not necessarily a citizen of the Russian Federation, though most of them are) and « Rossiyan » (a citizen of the Russian Federation, but not necessarily of russkij ethnicity, since there are 180 native ethnicities in the RF alone). Except « Koghi » is not an ethnicity neither.

Next part i'll explain to you how to catch a Tylopod. ;)
    • Ghiznuk wrote:

« Koghi » is the name of that dominant class,
      the people who inhabit the empire are the « Koghians »
      the language is « Koghinan »
      That is not accurate.
      See internal wiki.

"the Empire of Koghi.... we all live in the shadow of the Koghinan."

Koghi (no article) designates the nation, the Koghinan (with article and "nan" ending) designate the people, here in singular.

In the internal, hidden background, I find mentions about "Koghi" (no article) as the name of the Empire, civilization, nation.
      I find mentions about (the) Koghinan(s) meaning "related to Koghi", be it people or things.

Overall, it would not be Koghi/the Koghians/Koghinan like Scotland/the Scots/Scottish,
      but rather Koghi/the Koghinans/Koghinan like Germany/the Germans/German.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
    • On January 28,

Niedfaru wrote:

The word Koghi is related to kɔgɔ /Kogo, the Bambara for salt, so
      yes, Manding/Manden languages are definitely where you should look. As
      yet, I don't think we've defined exactly what the significance of the
      word is, other than that their trade networks at some point historically
      must have relied heavily on salt, a definite reference to the Mali
      Empire.

If it works better, you can assume that the name actually comes from
      another people nearby, and that the official name is less barefaced.
      Perhaps make the official language Maninka/Malinke, as historical, and
      Bambara a less widely spoken language, one among many related languages
      within and around the Empire. As everything so far has been named by
      outsiders, if there is a strong real world reason for renaming the
      faction for their own aux list, if your work should ever be used to
      inform something official (which I honestly hope it is!), I'll be more
      than happy to support that position in internal discussions.
      Alternatively, you could argue that the name was initially of an outside
      or minority source, but actually doesn't cause any cultural problems
      and so was adapted as a name.

In either case, it seems to refer to the people, not the rulers,
      although it may be seen as referring to a merchant class rather than the
      entire people, but in that case it still seems to be plural rather than
      singular.

So yes, to last point, please use Malinke as the official language, but
      also feel free to use Bambara and other Manden languages as resources
      for within and around the Empire. This might be a good way to indicate,
      to those that are familiar enough to notice, the cultural and ethnic
      differences that exist within the faction (and remember, all faction
      must have a viable fluff reason to fight themselves, so differences are
      good ).

Ghiznuk wrote:

So, somewhere between shower and bed yesterday evening (probably while
      brushing my teeth), it came to my mind that if the Koghi are the salt
      merchants (that's what the suffix « -i » would mean, so that plural
      could be « Koghiw » b, they could ave been foreigners in the beginning –
      well, at least since in the real world, salt mines that were controlled
      by the Malian empire were actually not part of its territory but
      somewhere halfway between Mali and Morocco.
      So they could have come and created a State that gradually extended to
      encompass the whole territory, and even with a local king and local
      rulers, the State would still be called the Koghi State by local people,
      especially since the Koghi would follow a different religion (Alihat)
      than most people.

Scratching further, the Koghi could have been of on Hakkim ethnicity, fled when their people started worshipping the Dark Gods, and asked some Savannah warlord for protection, thus establishing the State.

What bothers me in that interpretation though, is that it sounds so
      similar to the now discredited « Hamite » theory that all States in
      Africa were actually founded by White people (ie, Blacks are unable to
      establish a State by themselves).

But then, we could just decide that those salt traders were just Malian
      from the beginning, and make the salt mines closer to the Malian border.

Not mentioning also the contradiction that we are calling the army list «
      Koghi Empire of Gold » when actually its original name comes from salt…

Niedfaru wrote:

I don't think it's any great stretch to have them be foreigners but still black. No need to go into such colonial ideas.

Ghiznuk wrote:

They could just be local salt traders

What do you think ?

Of course, to everyone, there is no difference between the Koghi salt traders and the Koghi army of the Koghi empire that protects them, so that's why i had my Kweni people sing « Koghi w'o da » (the Koghi have arrived) in my story.
      I don't mind if everything is made « Koghinan ».

Still, are you ok with my theory of a « political capital » outside Dogoko ?
      Dogoko still remains of course the most important, well-know and prestigious city on the map, even though it is not the imperial seat and originally does not correspond to the birth of the « Koghinan » as a nation/ethnicity.
      In the next part of my story, I'll give a description of Dogoko.
      The « political capital » is more… hidden, kind of.
    • Ghiznuk wrote:

What do you think ?
      Still, are you ok with my theory of a « political capital » outside Dogoko ?
      I'd like to keep Koghi/Koghinan as it is.
      No problem to have a different name for their own use.
      No problem with having a different place where the Emperor rules, and the min trading city.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• The other day, I read that the Malian Ironsmiths were also supposed to protect the warriors against enemy weapons.
      Like, since they have the knowledge of iron, they also know how to prevent iron making holes into you.
      So i was thinking we could give them a (payful?) option to give Ægis 6+ (against non-Magic Attacks) to their unit ?
    • Fluffy indeed.
      Now, do we really wish to upgrade Ironsmiths?
      I mean, Ironsmiths are necessarily on foot (unless someone explains me how to use an anvil while mounted).
      We wanted infantry to be complement, not mainstream.
      Therefore, I would hesitate to reinforce infantry.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• Meanwhile, I was thinking of the Big Drum on Tylopod :
      could we make it disable enemy « Fast Reform » as well ?

That way it's really disrupting, even for those armies who have a high Discipline / rely on shooters and don't necessarily care about not being able to March.