Round bases in a game of square bases

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• 1) What is your opinion on having the round/square bases in the game, not taking into account any need for rebasing?

Round is Good

2) If RT would consider going back to square bases for all models, would the upside of it outweigh the hassle of rebasing?

No it would not

3) Anything else you would like to say about the above questions

I'd be very flustered if I'd have to rebase my artillery. Can't we have both round and square?
  • 1) What is your opinion on having the round/square bases in the game, not taking into account any need for rebasing?

Round is Good.

2) If RT would consider going back to square bases for all models, would the upside of it outweigh the hassle of rebasing?

No it would not.

T9A already loses and struggles to retain old players because of rules changes, I understand that phase is mostly past now but changing what is not broken (round warmachine bases is a tactical feature of the game) just so that everything is more neat and tidy, and forcing people to rebase multiple centrepiece models into the bargain, would be one more hindrance in the eyes of those wanting to come back into the game with their old fantasy armies now that the rules are stabilising.

EDIT: I would also add that numerous people I know personally who would be inclined to give T9A a go have fantasy armies that they intend to keep using to play older editions of WFB: they will never rebase those models. Yes, this is just an anecdote, but it's an example of what I mean.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Monomachus ().

Round is Bad

Yes it would

Make the square base large enough that you can fit your current round bases on top of it. No need for rebasing just placing it on top of a thin square base. Everyone happy.
  • 1) Round is Bad (round are bad in terms of rules, by creating unecessary complexity in the BRB, and strange overrun for tactical aspect.
    WM redirector uncunvenient, seems anecdotical in my opinion. )

2) Personnaly No it would not (i have stayed on rectangle base and use round tray)- But as community, yes it would. 2 years we ask for changing those round base. Now its too late too many people already switch to round.

3) Your are in a lose lose situation. No choice is the good one, because RT take really too long time to listen (look date on topic of suggestion forum). I already suggest something in the general topic News Discussion - To be round or not to be round?? (War Machine Bases) to maybe make everybody happy post #210 , and i d like to note also the post #277 from @Peacemaker wich open in my opnion some really interesting evolution idea for artillery in the FAB EOS.
    cas-p.net / graphic & web designer.
    SE - VS - O&G - EoS / 9th age player.
  • Throwing my opinion for the poll...

1) What is your opinion on having the round/square bases in the game, not taking into account any need for rebasing?

Square please! straight line 4tw!

All benefits, except for the part of rebasing for people who have awesome scenic bases for the warmachines, yeah :/

It was really a bad move in the first place to put round things in a game designed around squares... now will have to pay the price but make it right :) and yeah no matter what the path chosen there'll be a lot of flak...
    If you find violence isn't the answer, you're simply not being violent enough.
    Round is Bad

Yes it would

A more spacious base gives more option for modelling opportunities for players both old and new, plus a more consistent set of base rules would be easier for newer players to deal with to get the hang of the basics. Players unwilling or unable to rebase can always use square trays.

Round is bad

Yes it would

Round bases need the game to have exceptions to normal rules where they simply aren't necessary. Having everything operate on square bases removes the need for all of these special rulings. Round bases have also caused confusion and abusive situations, such as aligning charges.
    It's okay, it has frenzy.

Just Flank It © KoE - Tactics 101
  • 1) Round bases in a "squared" game are always a bad thing. They were firstly introduced back in time (and I'm talking about 90s) for small models which had to work more like tokens than actual units (and I'm thinking about fanatics).
    Then they came to be the standard base for every war machine in the game, allowing people to (almost) cheat and making the introduction of new rules for charge and pivot necessary.

So, to summarize, I don't like them at all.

But...

2) No, I wouldn't rebase them. I was already annoyed by the base swap for Hbe Ancient Dragon, and that's a centrepiece. Thinking about rebasing all my warmachines make me truly disappointed.

3) I think the mistake was made at the beginning with the first choice of bases for warmachines and now, after almost three years, it's a little too late to think about it.
    Fede, acciaio e polvere da sparo!
  • Round is Good

Do not change things that is not broken. Seriously there is no need. I just played a tournament with four warmachines and there were no problems what so ever. Also, I bought four round bases from GW mail order (Not cheap) and spend many hours making them look good with lot's of extra detail, some of which would break if I tried to take it off.

No it would not

Im trying to make my friends play this game rather than 8th edition. And the main obstacle is the constant changes to everything! People with careers and kids only have so many hours. We are losing our casual gamers because we keep trying to fix things that are fine, rather than the things we have complained about being broken since 1.3. Every dramatic change has the possibility of losing a few players. So let's only make them when necessary. There are so many things that does not work what so ever. Artificer, KO etc. If there is not time to fix that, then there should not be time to change things that works fine.

Seriously, my lack of enthusiasm for rebasing four warmachines is so bad that I just cannot see my self doing that right now. I'll rather play my other armies then and come back to EoS when round bases is re-introduced (As we all know will happen for the simple reason that every thing apparently must change in this game)

Sorry for sounding bitter. I love this game. But unnecessary changes like this is one of the games biggest problems if you ask me. I have lost two casual gamers to it already in my meta.
    Round is Bad

Yes it would
    My blog with battle reports and painting gallery: bleaklegion.wordpress.com/