Pinned HE Poll for Most Disliked Names

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• HE Poll for Most Disliked Names

Most DISLIKED Unit Names 73
      High Prince (5) 7%
      Commander (13) 18%
      Mage (3) 4%
      Mage (5) 7%
      Citizen Spears (21) 29%
      Highborn Lancers (19) 26%
      Citizen Archers (20) 27%
      Sea Guard (5) 7%
      Elein Reavers (18) 25%
      Sword Masters (3) 4%
      Lion Guard (6) 8%
      Flame Wardens (5) 7%
      Knights of Ryma (33) 45%
      Reaver Chariot (12) 16%
      Lion Chariot (2) 3%
      Giant Eagle (2) 3%
      Queen's Guard (7) 10%
      Grey Watchers (11) 15%
      Sea Guard Reaper (14) 19%
      Sky Sloop (38) 52%
      Fire Phoenix (4) 5%
      Frost Phoenix (4) 5%
    Hail Highborn!

BGT would like to collect your feedback on names, both ones you do and do not like

Here you will be voting for names you DO NOT like (the poll for names you DO like can be found here)

The poll is split into three categories: Unit names, Item and Mount names, and Rule and Honour names

The poll will run until the end of February. Top voted names will later be brought into a discussion, where you are all free to expand upon why you do and do not like them ^_^

BGT will also be using this poll as a tool to help understand your tastes when creating names for our army in the future

You've 5 votes per category, so choose wisely (or not, you can change your vote xD). Please remember that the purpose of this thread is for voting on the names, not your comments on them (your comments will have a suitable thread at a later date ^_^)

The post was edited 4 times, last by PapaG ().

• Most DISLIKED Item and Mount Names 72
      Dragonforged Armour (1) 1%
      Lion's Fur (7) 10%
      Sky Reaper (17) 24%
      Nova Flare (27) 38%
      Elu's Heartwood (20) 28%
      Sliver of the Blazing Dawn (16) 22%
      Gleaming Robe (3) 4%
      Protection of Dorac (23) 32%
      Daemon's Bane (2) 3%
      Starmetal Alloy (20) 28%
      Book of Meladys (9) 13%
      Ring of the Pearl Throne (15) 21%
      Diadem of Protection (11) 15%
      Amethyst Crystal (2) 3%
      Glittering Lacquer (38) 53%
      Navigator's Banner (16) 22%
      Banner of Becalming (5) 7%
      War Banner of Ryma (10) 14%
      Elven Horse (4) 6%
      Griffon (2) 3%
      Young Dragon (8) 11%
      Dragon (1) 1%
      Ancient Dragon (7) 10%
    Pick up to 5, any 5!

The post was edited 2 times, last by PapaG ().

• Most DISLIKED Rule and Honour Names 72
      Martial Discipline (3) 4%
      Master of Spellcrafting (6) 8%
      Valiant (9) 13%
      Moonlight Arrows (3) 4%
      Fae Miasma (35) 49%
      Favour of Meladys (15) 21%
      Steady Aim (4) 6%
      Cover Volley (16) 22%
      Sword Sworn (7) 10%
      Rebirth (2) 3%
      Warden's Bond (24) 33%
      Frozen (4) 6%
      Master of the Canreig Tower (15) 21%
      Queen's Cavalier (58) 81%
      Fleet Officer (6) 8%
      High Warden of the Flame (2) 3%
      Queen's Companion (18) 25%
      Royal Huntsman (5) 7%
      Asfad Scholar (22) 31%
      Order of the Fiery Heart (7) 10%
    You can call me 5's

The post was edited 1 time, last by PapaG ().

• I would like to take a moment talking about the polls regarding the names.

Pls note that the impatient speaks here, no offense @PapaG

I will only speak of the ones i don't really appreciate, apologize for the negativity.

Queen's cavalier :
    I like the name, especially de "du fromage" after it, because i speak french, you nailed it. To me the dislike has more to do with the idea of it. Queen's cavalier should be an elegant horse riding in my point of view, not a devastatig one causing fear. Although you may argue that in her name he would do so, it doesn't fit in my head.

High Warden of the Flame/Flame Warden :
    This has also a lot do to with ideal or at least background. I felt we kept closely the theme of GW and for now it don't really know what Flame they protect/serve. Same may go for the LG but i can relate LG to huntsman, not flame warden to flame.

ASFAD :
    well on my keybord stands asdf one after the other. So ASFAD REALLY feels like someone rolls his head on a keyboard. But that one may be very specific to a local keyboard (Switzerland) and a bit selfish.

Knight of Ryma :
    Ryma really felt like "royaume" aka Kingdom in french. Not particulary bad but i'm sure we can manage Something better. And it step foots on the Knight of the Realm in my mind.

Highborn Lancers :
    French is sometimes a poor language (yes i said that), we only have "lance" to descirbe spear, lance. light lance. So Highborn Lancers feel more like spearmen that actual spearmen. But that's again purely related to translation.

Queen Companion :
    Another example of misunderstood. This may also be a selfish thing. Companion felt like a lover. And in all respect to our King (if we have one), it doesn't feel good. But the ideal behind it is sadly really good. So maybe its just me.

Glittering Lacquer :
    nah. not that. It doesn't feel like a cool item, but more like an everyday cleaning thing everyone posses. Like those car polish.

Warden Bound :
    Not particulary bad but since we had 5 choice ... Show me good background and it's ok :)
  • Kopistar wrote:

I would like to take a moment talking about the polls regarding the names.
    I will only speak of the ones i don't really appreciate, apologize for the negativity.

ASFAD :Knight of Ryma :

Queen Companion :Another example of misunderstood. This may also be a selfish thing. Companion felt like a lover. And in all respect to our King (if we have one), it doesn't feel good. But the ideal behind it is sadly really good. So maybe its just me.

Glittering Lacquer :
    nah. not that. It doesn't feel like a cool item, but more like an everyday cleaning thing everyone posses. Like those car polish.

I agree that some really feel totally wrong. Lacquer makes me tink of Japanse art or painters. Why not glittering talisman or or shining scabbard or silver mantle or something. Also perfectly represents its function.

And yes I must agree that I am more in favour of Tokienish names. Ater all, High Elves and such aren't GW at all, they're from Tolkien.
    Hence I am a big advocate of shamelessly using that language's look and feel and sound. Tolkien was a linguist professor, after all - and his primary inspiration came from the research of languages.

Not sure when the HbE lore is written but Flame of Ishtárion or Flame of Arloth or something would sound sufficiently elvish.
    Knights of Rymandon would sound more Tolkienish than Ryma. Or Knights of Arymian. Something like that.
    And when we're at it anyway: why not Master of Tol Carandir? Or Master of Felador Tower?
    And yeah Asfad Scholar .. make it Ashtár or Numérion, Finya ..
    And Queen's Guardian or Queen's Sentinel sounds much more appropriate ..

Not sure if our T9A nomenclaturists aren't very much against the Tolkienish High Elf feel though .. at least they don't seem to be big fans, that's for sure.
    This forum need polls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Playing/painting: SA, DE & HbE ..

The post was edited 2 times, last by Teowulff ().

• aus_lo wrote:

Several of the names/titles are quite hard to judge as long as we don’t know the fluff they are based on. “Flame warden” could something badass or just a dude keeping the campfire going.
    A good point xD

I would say just judge based off of what sounds good for now. When the discussion happens this can be more easily discussed ("I don't like 'Flame Warden'" "Oh, their job watch over the torches in people's homes and make sure that goblins don't extinguish them" "Oh okay. I don't like 'Flame Warden'")

I'll bring this up though

Edit: We do have the fluff for Protection of Dorac though

Not that I care or anything T.T

Display Spoiler
    Before Sunna, before the kings and queens of the Napaat valley, before even the Elves reached the serenity of the White Isles, there were five great Elven Princes, the mightiest and noblest of their kind beyond the boughs.

It is said Dorac was so taken by their virtue that he could not bear the thought that these exemplary Elves might perish in defence of their budding nations, so he forged for them helms, shields, scale and plate like the world had never seen before. Each piece was a tapestry of engravings that proclaimed the majesty of the Elves to all who dared cast eyes upon them, lighter than the plumage of a Giant Eagle, yet of such craftsmanship it put the finest Dwarven artifice of the age to shame.

When the Princes again took to the field of battle to face the barbaric hordes they shone as bright as the giant brazier overlooking Aldan. Personifications of Elven noble heritage and the right to rule the world they blinded their savage foes with august brilliance of their donned gifts. Many were felled by their keen blades, for who would dare strike such regal splendour?

Nothing is eternal save maybe death, and in strange aeons even death may die. So too came the hour of doom for exalted ones. From the east it came in a shape of a man, a warrior, a warlord, a conqueror. Jewels of a dozen sundered kingdoms glistened upon his troubled brow and the skulls of their kings adorned his standard. Pride goes before the fall, or so the saying goes, and the Elven Princes went to war. One by one they faced the raven haired murder, and one by one they were broken beneath his iron boot, their divine gifts shattered and blemished.

For their failure and shame the names of the Princes were erased from memory while that of the bronze skinned butcher still haunts the dreams of the wise. A phantom of destruction who may yet one day return to finish what he started.

An age later in a time of great calamity when brother fought brother and daughter slew mother the first Prince of Ryma beseeched Dorac to reforge his gifts into a single suit, so that he may defend his people from the madness that had engulfed them. Though bravely he fought eventually pride got better of him on the blood soaked fields of Erle and the gift of the gods passed into the hands of Queen. To this day her annual champion is granted the honour to don a special suit of armour that many claim is the one and the same as the Dorac’s panoply of “Forgotten Kings”…
  • Love the post @Kopistar

Definitely a lot of these things are a little early for this stage. When the discussion happens they can be properly addressed

You bring up some really good points with translation though

Again these are things better suited to the discussion. I had a quick look through the French AB, and I can understand how "Patrician Spear" seems a really weird name for Cavalry. So definitely I would like to see translation specific discussion. And with broader names like Ryma (meant to apply across languages) I definitely see benefit to finding a name that doesn't translate to "gluteus sniffer" (or some-such) for anyone

I'll bring these points up
  • @Kopistar

BGT discussed how the names translate across different languages, and due to the large increase of difficulty/workload this would mean decided not to.

It is up to the individual translation teams to consider these things, so I would recommend notifying them of these and any future translation specific comments/critiques

Kopistar wrote:

Knight of Ryma :
    Ryma really felt like "royaume" aka Kingdom in french. Not particulary bad but i'm sure we can manage Something better. And it step foots on the Knight of the Realm in my mind.

Highborn Lancers :
    French is sometimes a poor language (yes i said that), we only have "lance" to descirbe spear, lance. light lance. So Highborn Lancers feel more like spearmen that actual spearmen. But that's again purely related to translation.

@Eru @FWehning what is the best way to notify the translation teams of these points?

I noticed a "Traduction - Signaler des erreurs" thread on the French sub-forum. If this is more for rules error than aesthetics, perhaps there could be a "name specific" discussion thread for each of the regional sub-forums?

The post was edited 1 time, last by PapaG ().

• PapaG wrote:

@Kopistar

BGT discussed how the names translate across different languages, and due to the large increase of difficulty/workload this would mean decided not to.

It is up to the individual translation teams to consider these things, so I would recommend notifying them of these and any future translation specific comments/critiques

Kopistar wrote:

Knight of Ryma :

Highborn Lancers :
    @Eru @FWehning what is the best way to notify the translation teams of these points?

I noticed a "Traduction - Signaler des erreurs" thread on the French sub-forum. If this is more for rules error than aesthetics, perhaps there could be a "name specific" discussion thread for each of the regional sub-forums?
    The best way is to contact the specific teams via the language subs or directly in the army forums. In most ones is already a place to submit errors and suggestions. If a mod finds such a question it is always possible, allowed and wanted to call a responsible person (like for example me) to take action.

Kopistar wrote:

We have a lot of internal discussion about how we translate and the path is to stick to the maximum to the original version.
    thank you for forwarding the case !
    This would propably be a standard answer in case of translation which most of the teams would give. And I think this is absoulutely fine they really have done a lot of work in discussions on names and translations.
    :VS: The Vermin Swarm is not mad, madness is to kill a dragon with your very last shot - Rattnarök Dragonslayer

Global Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team DE