Pinned BGT Name Polls; Vote for the names you dislike UP TO 5 VOTES

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• noir wrote:

Did it really make sense?? No, not at all. Not saying fluff shouldn’t make sense, just saying coolness is a very important factor, and judgement blades and dread judges—> not cool, don’t care for consistency there..
    In fact, that that name made no sense probably makes it far more interesting. Points to a difference in definition of the word in DE society. I don't really see an issue with Blades of Nabh in actual practice, aside that people just don't like the name Nabh.

I think the beauty of the name Executioners is it's concise conveyance of exactly what they are about. No "purple prose," no nonsense, just a clear spelling out, in a word, what they are about. Since we can't use it, we need one word to convey the same ideal, but with the same ascetic. This is why my idea was "Endbringers" rather than use some over-the-top modifier to tell people what they are about.
  • Is the "Dread" in Dread Elves really an issue though?

My idea of it would be that this is the name DE have cultivated for themselves, an air of martialism and fear to intimidate their opponents. I don't think they'd often refer to themselves among themselves as Dread Elves, rather just Elves. No need to add a differentiation when talking about yourself. In the same way that Highborn Elves wouldn't really call themselves that, rather, refer to other Elves as Sylvan or Dread, no doubt with an air of contempt. They might evoke it with an air of haughtiness, as in, "We are Highborn, not lowly Sylvans." In same way a DE would use it to cow lesser beings, "You wouldn't dare cross a Dread Elf."

It's OK used in moderation, in my opinion. Giving the title to multiple units across the army though? Too heavy handed in my estimation.
  • Dread Elves could be a name given to the rebel faction by the legitimists during the rebellion, ages ago, and the rebels found it fun and decided to keep it for themselves as a traditional name.

So the name DE could be kept.
    Then, in the actual army list, only units which really are supposed to inspire dread should be kept the word "Dread".

noir wrote:

Imho dread knights is alright, rest should be gone!
    +1

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • noir wrote:

Nah, Dread Legionnaires is also pretty great. The warriors of the Dread Legions, which is a perfectly enjoyable name. Dread Legions on the ground, Black Fleets (because of their black sails, naturally. No mention need be made of Arks of any kind) on the seas. It's not that individual Legionnaires are supposed to be scary; they are members of a scary army. Dread Reapers and Dread Princes could maybe use some rebranding, though.

Honestly, I don't have problems with most of the DE names (and I wonder at the dislike for Cadaron and Olaron in particular, since both are easy-to-pronounce and have existed in the SE and HbE fluff with no negative opinions for a while. Are we conflating a dislike for the introduction of new cults with a dislike for their names?). I didn't even use up my maximum number of votes on any of the polls. Aside from a few really bad names (Dread Judges being the only truly terrible offender) I mostly quite like them.
  • I've made a bad list of suggestions for names.
    One of the things that annoy me with the names are the inconsistency between names (Dark/Dread/Raptor).
    So I've tried setting up a short list of suggestions for names that makes this a bit more consistent (as I see it, subject to subjectiveness xD)

First on the list is the current name, 2nd is my suggestion, 3rd is a stray thought.

Dread Prince - Dread Prince
    Captain - Captain
    Cult Priest - Dread Pontiff/Cardinal
    Oracle - Oracle
    Assassin - Assassin

Dread Legionnaries - Legionnaries
    Corsairs - Corsairs
    Repeater Auxiliaries - Auxiliaries
    Blades of Nahb - Blades of Nabh
    Dark Raiders - Raven Cloak Raiders - Cadaron Raiders

Raven Cloaks - Raven Cloaks - Cadaron Cloaks
    Tower Guard - Tower Guard - Olaron Guards
    Dread Knights - Dread Knights
    Raptor Chariot - Dread Chariot
    Dread Judges - Praetor Blades - Preators of Nabh
    Dancers of Yema - Dancers of Yema
    Dark Acolytes - Raven Acolytes
    Divine Altar - Divine Altar - Altar of the Republic/Altar of the Cult

Hunting Chariot - Raven Chariot
    Dread Reaper - Dread Reaper

Harpies - Harpies
    Medusa - Medusa
    Kraken - Kraken
    Hydra - Hydra

Menagerie have remained unchanged since no one really object to these names. Other than that I've tried having a "theme" to the different names. Removed "Dark" and following more with the Raven cloak theme for fast and stealthy troops, and focusing the Dread onto the Raptors and leadership. Dread Judges might've been the most contested namechange I've ever experienced, so i went with the roman theme and used Praetor which for me at least sounds better.
    #FreeKillerInstinct
  • :thumbup: with maybe a couple more suggestions:

Madsvg wrote:

First on the list is the current name, 2nd is my suggestion, 3rd is a stray thought.

Dread Prince - Dread Prince
    Captain - Captain
    Cult Priest - Dread Pontiff/Cardinal of the Cult (replace Cult by Nabh/Yema/Olaron/Cadaron...)
    Oracle - Oracle
    Assassin - Assassin

Dread Legionnaries - Legionnaries
    Corsairs - Corsairs
    Repeater Auxiliaries - Auxiliaries
    Blades of Nahb - Blades - Blades of Nabh
    Dark Raiders - Raven Cloak Raiders - Cadaron Raiders

Raven Cloaks - Raven Cloaks - Cadaron Cloaks
    Tower Guard - Tower Guard - Olaron Guards
    Dread Knights - Dread Knights
    Raptor Chariot - Dread Chariot
    Dread Judges - Praetor Blades - Preators of Nabh Olaron
    Dancers of Yema - Dancers - Dancers of Yema
    Dark Acolytes - Raven Acolytes
    Divine Altar - Divine Altar - Altar of the Republic/Altar of the Cult

Hunting Chariot - Raven Chariot
    Dread Reaper - Dread Corsair Portable Reaper

Harpies - Harpies
    Medusa - Medusa
    Kraken - Kraken
    Hydra - Hydra

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • Nemeroth wrote:

Giladis wrote:

Nemeroth wrote:

I really do but Nabh, pronounced Nib Just has nothing evocative of a murder god or anything remotely intimidating about it.
    Not sure how you got Nib when bh is close to celtic v. Similar to Mabh.
    Mind Blown, I thought is was supposed to be a “v” sound when I first saw it as it looks so Gaelic. I definitely read on here it’s supposed to be pronounced “nib”. Good, “Nav” sounds better.
    Sorry Giladis but I not agree with you, prounounced Ni!

That is all
  • My opinion on the naming of "Dread" in general. I am not a fan.

About what Calisson types, that Dread Elves could be a rebel faction that emerged from Highborn Elves doesn't feel right to me. It goes to close to Games Workshop's lore of the Elven Civil War.

Calisson wrote:

Dread Elves could be a name given to the rebel faction by the legitimists during the rebellion, ages ago, and the rebels found it fun and decided to keep it for themselves as a traditional name.

So the name DE could be kept.
    Then, in the actual army list, only units which really are supposed to inspire dread should be kept the word "Dread".

noir wrote:

+1
    Wouldn't it be just better that "Dread" Elves and Highborn Elves are far from blood related? That they both developed an unique culture and traditions where both factions have Conservatists thoughts, fear of change. Afraid of the influence of another faction (thinking about Star Trek's Klingon point of view).
    Also thinking in the direction of Sovjet Union and the West. Both were humans and disliked each others ideology.

Judging from certain items, I asume the Dread Elves are a Republic? Heavily inspired by Ancient Rome? Then I like the idea that it is not ruled by a King of Emperor. However for me the naming of Dread (in faction and in units) feels misplaced and wrong lore wise.

Nobody calls themself Dread of Dark? In Warhammer lore, the Dark Elves called themself the Druchii, which was not a literal translation of Dark Elves in Elvish, the naming of Dark Elves was given by The Empire's point of view, as was all naming. I guess they same system could be used in Ninth Age naming? I agree that naming a faction is not an easy thing.

I looked at the Ninth Age world map and saw much simularity with GW's world according to shape and geographic settlement of factions (I not saying it is a bad thing, but isn't really original) so I asume the Dread Elves are located in the continent of Silexia. I assume it is a icy Tundra, snowy biome? Maybe the naming scheme could be more fitting towards that (I thought I read something about Snow, Ice or Frost Elves? A pale skin and grim version of another Elvish race, Highborn elves? So a Snow, Ice or Frost Elves republic that has no blood relation towards Highborn Elves yet cultural difference and dislike of each tradition could be something? Just typing silly ideas :)

Also, you could easily play a couple of Sid Meiers Civlization 5 games with Continental Map and copy the shape of the cool looking continents and then place the factions on it. You'll create an original planet.

(personally like the Ice Elves naming, it is kinda less used (Snow Elves is used in Skyrim Elder Scrolls) and you can build around it so you not follow the typical Games Workshop elvish civil war with their eternal hatred. And it gives a feeling of a cold, harsh mentality. And filling it into a Republic (like Ancient Rome where major houses controlled most Seats through plots and backstabbing) where the Senate was held in a big Tower (to keep the name Tower Guard as an elite special unit).

Then the naming of Dread could easily be removed from units like:
    Dread Legionaire, just plain Legionair of Legionary like Madsvg wrote.
    And Harpies could be named Sirens (Daemon Legions Sirens renamed to Succubus, more Daemonic inspired and have a more sexy feeling to sexy daemonettes!). In Witcher games and books, the Sirens could fly and swim which would match beatifully with the Corsairs in the Dread Elves book, that that they a naval force yet can both be used on land.

But Dread Judges, really? Judges don't execute the sentence! Executioners were a perfect name!

Just some minor things that came to mind according to naming on a Lore standpoint that derives you little further from Games Workshop on Lore wise.
  • Griffarian wrote:

Judging from certain items, I asume the Dread Elves are a Republic? Heavily inspired by Ancient Rome? Then I like the idea that it is not ruled by a King of Emperor. However for me the naming of Dread (in faction and in units) feels misplaced and wrong lore wise.

Kinda, they're called a republic, but uses the notation of Princes, since that is more modern than a Princeps, like they did in Rome.

Nobody calls themself Dread of Dark? In Warhammer lore, the Dark Elves called themself the Druchii, which was not a literal translation of Dark Elves in Elvish, the naming of Dark Elves was given by The Empire's point of view, as was all naming. I guess they same system could be used in Ninth Age naming? I agree that naming a faction is not an easy thing.

The system is actually the same. In T9A we call ourselves the Dathen Republic or something similar. Dread Elves is what the human factions are calling us.

I looked at the Ninth Age world map and saw much simularity with GW's world according to shape and geographic settlement of factions (I not saying it is a bad thing, but isn't really original) so I asume the Dread Elves are located in the continent of Silexia. I assume it is a icy Tundra, snowy biome? Maybe the naming scheme could be more fitting towards that (I thought I read something about Snow, Ice or Frost Elves? A pale skin and grim version of another Elvish race, Highborn elves? So a Snow, Ice or Frost Elves republic that has no blood relation towards Highborn Elves yet cultural difference and dislike of each tradition could be something? Just typing silly ideas :)

Try putting the T9A map over a world map ;)
    I don't see many similarities with GW's world outside of the faction placements. Except that the HbE and SE don't have their own island in the middle.

#FreeKillerInstinct
  • I dislike Nabh purely from a phonetical point of view. "N" is an unvoiced consonant and the sound on the end (be it "bh" or "v") is difficult to pronounce with any accent (at least for me - in Czech, we substitute voiced consonants at the end of words with unvoiced, so that "nav" becomes "naf"). As a result, there is nothing to lean on; the whole word sounds weak and voiceless. More syllables would help, as would replacing "N" with something more resonant - "R", "G" or so. Basically, make the word easier to notice when someone speaks it out.
  • Terrifying Visage should be named Aegis. I know, we changed ward save to that. But it's the name of Athena's shield, which is literally a shield with Medusa's head on it, the whole inspiration to the item!

idk, i don't have strong feelings on most of these. Bar a real DE language that we can name things in, I doubt I could be moved to have strong feelings. (And people are complaining about what few things we do have that are named in the DE tongue...).
    Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ