Why do champions still have the ability to start/accept a duel?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

  • The problem is flying monsters are next to being not used at all. And while challenges are not source of that I can't agree that maintaining challenges as sole reason of champs existance is making game more interesting. It is just no-brainer counter to almost extinct playstyle... a legacy rule that failed to evolve along rest of the game desperatly defended as 'token of our heritage'. For me champions are today junk to be removed like other over-complicated useless rules had been.
    Homebrew: Hetmanate of Ukray_____________Report your battle results using mobile app: T9A Magic Flux!
  • polux wrote:

    theunwantedbeing wrote:

    Duel AlterationDuel alterationDepends what you mean by "not bothered by", what exactly do you mean when you say that?
    Now you cannot just ignore a unit as them charging you mean you will test at -2. Without challenge you can win anyway so they loose a lot of zone control (unless 80 zombie or akin numbers)
    You can't ignore them anyway.
    If you charge them expecting to roll over them, they're steadfast and probably won't.
    If they charge you, same thing. They're going to be steadfast if they lose and you're missing your movement phase next turn.

    Why should the result be guaranteed?
    It's not guaranteed for long monsters, or chariots, or other units in a lot of cases. Even the sword master unit that's almost definitely going to destroy your unit of goblins isn't guaranteed to do that.

    polux wrote:

    In fact it can be summarised as:

    yrtomin wrote:

    The real question is how you compensate champions and make sure characters don't receive undeserving buff that disturbs the game balance.
    If you can solve that, sure why not.
    So yes it is obviously a buff. How do you compensate, if you think we should (for the previously mentioned reason I think we should).
    We do something like this:
    Duel Alteration

    And then champions get nothing extra, since they only pay 20pts and have other abilities like Order the Charge and an additional attack for them, along with allowing them to take part in duels.

    Or we can scrap the duel rules entirely and champions can get something like:
    • Bodyguard (different rule to the one of the same name right now)
      The model may choose to intercept attacks made at the character and suffer them instead
      (the attacker rolls to hit vs the champion, not the character)
    They're still valuable for their +20pts price tag, but it's not "I gaurantee my unit wins" valuable, which is somewhat unreasonable.
    Unless we're going to be handing out +20pt upgrades for other units so they can auto-win/draw/whatever in other situations.
  • JimMorr wrote:

    The problem is flying monsters are next to being not used at all. And while challenges are not source of that I can't agree that maintaining challenges as sole reason of champs existance is making game more interesting. It is just no-brainer counter to almost extinct playstyle... a legacy rule that failed to evolve along rest of the game desperatly defended as 'token of our heritage'. For me champions are today junk to be removed like other over-complicated useless rules had been.
    This does not seem to be representative of the meta in all places. DE manticores just saw an increase in price in 2.0.2 - suggesting they were being over-used. Flying greater daemons are seen with some regularity. Hippogriff and pegasi characters are still popular in KoE. Are these all monsters? no. But this is a character counter, not a monster counter. (Dragons haven't been used very much, but that's a dragon problem as much as a monster problem).
    Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

    Legal

    Playtester

    Chariot Command HQ