Magic without a magic phase

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Magic without a magic phase

I know this is a bold suggestion on how to change the magic in T9A, but I hope you guys are open to it.

I'm still positive about the recent change of the magic system in 2.0 since it has become more reliable and fluffy thanks to choosing your own powers. But recently, after reading the old Chaos 3.5 Codex from 40K, I was thinking about using magic without having it's own Phase.
    Imagine a scenario where the wizard cast a fireball spell in the shooting phase, or using a spell in the beginning of the movement phase that could give a unit and/or the wizard itself extra range to walk/march. Sure it would change the whole magic, but it could make the magic more direct in a certain situation and realistic, and not that it will become less powerful (psychic phase or not, 40K's powers is not the big deal in the game unless your army was psychic orientated).

Do you think it could work?
  • Heresy!

I suppose it could work, it sounds like you propose changing around WHEN then spells are cast as they would be part of a different phase, be it movement (for move related stuff), shooting (for damage/missiles), or CC (for buffs/hexes). How would you answer the following.

1) Does it bog down or speed up game play?

2) Does it save complexity or increase complexity(rules wise and order of operations)?

3) Does it ultimately alter outcomes?

I will say that being able to use a movement buff on the same turn it is cast would be pretty sweet.

I will say that the magic phase is cool because it is a short mini-game where bluffing and intimidation can really be leveraged against your opponent. Adds a rather interesting element to the playing experience, regardless of the effect on the board.
  • I think it could be done, and it might create some interesting interactions. My biggest issue with psychic powers in 40K of old was that the timing requirements (“this psychic power is cast at the start of the movement phase”) meant there was a lot of “oh crap, I forgot to cast XYZ!” when you moved on to the next phase. That’s what I like most about the magic phase, it’s one less thing to remember.
  • It's a nice idea but we'de probably need to get rid of magic dice as players would misplace them during the turn and not be able to cast or dispel properly and that would lead to arguments.

And that's not a small change to how magic works at all....
    but it would probably be more reliable and give players a much greater level of control over how they wish to play the game

The post was edited 1 time, last by theunwantedbeing ().

• The Beninator wrote:

Heresy!

I suppose it could work, it sounds like you propose changing around WHEN then spells are cast as they would be part of a different phase, be it movement (for move related stuff), shooting (for damage/missiles), or CC (for buffs/hexes). How would you answer the following.

1) Does it bog down or speed up game play?
    I don't think it will do both. It's more like the magic becomes more direct.

2) Does it save complexity or increase complexity(rules wise and order of operations)?
    It will become a different kind of complexity.

3) Does it ultimately alter outcomes?
    Yes. The spell's power is more directly and could last longer or less longer.

I will say that being able to use a movement buff on the same turn it is cast would be pretty sweet.
    That's why it could fit really well. It even adds more realism to the game.

I will say that the magic phase is cool because it is a short mini-game where bluffing and intimidation can really be leveraged against your opponent. Adds a rather interesting element to the playing experience, regardless of the effect on the board.

theunwantedbeing wrote:

It's a nice idea but we'de probably need to get rid of magic dice as players would misplace them during the turn and not be able to cast or dispel properly and that would lead to arguments.
    I thought about letting them decide/roll the magic dice in the beginning of each round and set them apart from normal dices. The other option is to change it into a Willpower test whereby the highest sorcerer could use more dices for the test.

And that's not a small change to how magic works at all....
    but it would probably be more reliable and give players a much greater level of control over how they wish to play the game
    For me it's important that it would give the players a chance the play the game how they want. And by making it less abstract it could even make the game more challenging.
  • To be fair this change will only affect speels interacting in your own movement phase. So everything else comes out the same.

As for movement based spells it has already been decided that it is to strong to allow magical moves to count as charges. Assuming that is still the case there are only 1 or 2 spells that you could actually make more use from. Hence its a hard change to justify putting all the work into.
    #freekillerinstinct