Why is Poland better than everyone else?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Furion wrote:

It's true, I wasn't at the WTC. More important stuff took precedence.

Why is Poland the best? I would say 2 reasons.
    1. What @DanT said
    2. Poles are on average more competitive than other nations, hence you get ETC material with 1/100 players, and not with 1/300. I derive this data from when one of our guys calls his ETC opponent "a very good player". It usually happens 1/8 or 2/8 cases, so I guess with 500 community members there is your answer.

As to the specifics of winning, this is movement phase 90%, pairings 10%. This is where our edge lies.

I worry for the future, will we have opponents with will to beat us.

In the meantime, pretty much just let the Poles balance t9a and we are all good to go. Seriously.
    Oi behave - team GB lost 51-49 with one of our players getting a zero. We'll happily give you a go any day.
  • New Zealand have the All Blacks, Brazil and Germany have football.. Poland has 9th Age..

From what you can see the whole scene is geared towards doing well at ETC. From the training regime, time invested I would wager they invest more time that almost anyone else. Also unlike some of the other countries that have lost many players to Aos, 40k, KOW etc. Poland has kept a critical mass of players. We have gone from 200 ish active players to below 40. ETC doesn’t really register on most players radar so the level of competition is really low.
  • ukrocky wrote:

Furion wrote:

1. What @DanT said
    2. Poles are on average more competitive than other nations, hence you get ETC material with 1/100 players, and not with 1/300. I derive this data from when one of our guys calls his ETC opponent "a very good player". It usually happens 1/8 or 2/8 cases, so I guess with 500 community members there is your answer.

As to the specifics of winning, this is movement phase 90%, pairings 10%. This is where our edge lies.

In the meantime, pretty much just let the Poles balance t9a and we are all good to go. Seriously.
    Oi behave - team GB lost 51-49 with one of our players getting a zero. We'll happily give you a go any day.

#calculated
    #movementphasewins
    #whybotherwithdice
    #fauxpro
    Why not hold elections for key seats? Oh! And direction of the game - that would also be hella cool :)

Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
    Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
    Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

For questions of tactics, The Savage Arts of Playtrolling
  • Herminard wrote:

ukrocky wrote:

Furion wrote:

1. What @DanT said

#calculated
    #movementphasewins
    #whybotherwithdice
    #fauxpro
    The Polish guy I played at ETC had one of the sloppiest movement phases I've ever seen. If they hold themselves to such a high standard.
  • Gas_monkey82 wrote:

Herminard wrote:

ukrocky wrote:

Furion wrote:

1. What @DanT said

#calculated#movementphasewins
    #whybotherwithdice
    #fauxpro
    The Polish guy I played at ETC had one of the sloppiest movement phases I've ever seen. If they hold themselves to such a high standard.

I doubt that. You probably just fell for his carefully deviced ploy: to make his moves look bad so he could sneak dem gamewinning gems under the radar.
    Why not hold elections for key seats? Oh! And direction of the game - that would also be hella cool :)

• ukrocky wrote:

Fwiw I've never felt out of my depth game play wise vs a polish player and I think I've played vs them twice at ETC, four times in Germany over 2 years and probably more on tops...?

My list in Germany was sub par due to a lack of game time, so I will admit to that, but I still wasn't out played imo...

Even a filthy scrub like me have positive scores vs polish players.

#statisticalanomalitiesftw

• LenTheTyrant wrote:

1. They wear fanny packs(bum bags)
    2. Don't socialize with anyone
    3. Loud pre game chants

To name a few
    Sounds like the bridge club at the local retirement home :D
    “You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.” -Lan Mandragoran, EotW

Dovie’andi se tovya sagain.
  • I think practicing with skilled players or groups makes all the difference. Back in Warhammer days I was hanging around my local shop and playing 8th Edition Fantasy several times a weeks. However the people I was playing against were all novices and had no interest in tournaments, so I never really got better. When I went to my first tournament I felt like I'd never actually played the game before!

Growth mindset is also key to improving. Being willing to admit mistakes or poor judgement rather than simply blaming inexperience or bad luck goes a long way towards self improvement. And along with that is finding someone who will teach you and not gloat too much about stomping you flat every time.
    "The old wisdom born out of the west was forsaken. Kings made tombs more splendid than the houses of the living, and counted the old names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons. Childless lords sat in aged halls musing on heraldry, or in high cold towers asking questions of the stars.”

Show off your Gaming Club!

Southern California 9th Age Facebook Page
  • Wstanley wrote:

I think practicing with skilled players or groups makes all the difference. Back in Warhammer days I was hanging around my local shop and playing 8th Edition Fantasy several times a weeks. However the people I was playing against were all novices and had no interest in tournaments, so I never really got better. When I went to my first tournament I felt like I'd never actually played the game before!

Growth mindset is also key to improving. Being willing to admit mistakes or poor judgement rather than simply blaming inexperience or bad luck goes a long way towards self improvement. And along with that is finding someone who will teach you and not gloat too much about stomping you flat every time.
    this 100%... it's why there's usually a big jump in player skill after a year at etc. you have to play vs players better than you to grow. And a very active scene is important. I would say in the us we have been struggling to get large tourneys and frequent tourneys ... so it can be hard to get the number of games vs high level players. Poland sounds like it has a very large and active scene which probably keeps people sharp and keeps them working to improve.
  • I can honestly say I have NEVER lost to a Polish player. Frankly, I can't think of a time when Ive ever felt so much as challenged by a Polish player. Some would say the Australian meta lacks Polish players, I prefer to think the Australian meta is too tough for them to compete in.
    Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
  • Herminard wrote:

Gas_monkey82 wrote:

Herminard wrote:

ukrocky wrote:

Furion wrote:

1. What @DanT said

#calculated#movementphasewins#whybotherwithdice
    #fauxpro
    I doubt that. You probably just fell for his carefully deviced ploy: to make his moves look bad so he could sneak dem gamewinning gems under the radar.
    isn't it much easier to "make the movement phase great again" when you have 150% of movement compared to your opponent/the rules?

Playtester

EoS Community Support

Team Wales ETC 2017 - Beast Herds
    Team Scotland ETC 2018 - Captain

Twitter - @Fthunder89
  • If you can find some correlation between WTC and T9A Magic Flux installation numbers by Country you might be able to find an easy way to improve your skill ;)

Jokes aside, the data are true. It suggests Polish community is three times bigger than others. However I have advertised the app also on local forums and in Poland Android is much more popular than iPhone (prices...). There are also a few installs in Poland which are test purposes installs. Yet still the active community maybe bigger than the next two together...
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
    _____________Report your battle results using mobile app: T9A Magic Flux!
  • ukrocky wrote:

Furion wrote:

1. What @DanT said

You lost 3 times against our second team. One of those three times happened to be close. And you had 2 henchman on your team.