Magic phase in big battles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Magic phase in big battles

Hello everybody,

My friends and I are planning to battle 2vs2, 4500 points each, so 9000vs9000 and the following question arises:

Should we keep the magic phase as it is?

Some of us think that it's ok as it is, others think it's not enough in a 18000 points battle.

The options are:

- Leave it as it is.

Pros:
    - Already tested and balanced.
    - If someone doesn't bring magic it's ok.
    - Battle isn't decided by magic.
    Cons:
    - Maybe not relevant enough in a battle of such size.
    - If 2 armies on the same side bring mages, they have to divide dice and don't have enough.

- Double the magic card draw.

Pros:
    - Magic won't be irrelevant.
    - If 2 armies on the same side bring mages, they'll have enough dice.
    Cons:
    - It's not tested and we don't know if it's balanced.
    - It can be too brutal (Imagine a combat after a good doubled draw, with 1 unit having 3-4 buffs)
    - It forces everybody to bring at least a mage so the magic dice aren't wasted.

- Let every army with 1 mage draw a magic card in the phase

Pros:
    - Probably more balanced than doubling.
    Cons:
    - It can be too brutal, still.

- Add 1 dice to the draw for the "attacker" in the magic phase

Pros:
    - More balanced than doubling or drawing twice.
    - Magic would be a little bit more relevant than in the first case.
    - If someone doesn't bring magic it's ok.
    Cons:
    - Some people still think it will be too irrelevant.
    - If there is magic phase overload, won't be enough dice.

Going to create a poll, everybody is welcomed to vote and give their opinions!
  • Dear colleague, in my opinion if you are planning a big match with double points that should mean that you have to deal with double axes and swords in combat phase, double of fire in shooting phase, so should be the double of magic and volley fires what you have to deal.

In normal match you have beetween 6-8 dices in average against 5-6 dices.
    I supposse in double magic 12-16 dices against 10-12 dices.
    In normal game opposite dices says that you can stop 1-2 spells but you are going to suffer 1-2 spells, in a big battle could be more or less the same, you can stop 2-4 spells but you are going to suffer 2-4 spells (it depends how many dices active player decides to use in each spell).

In case you have to asume a unit with multiple buffs please redirect it, you have 9000 points in table just one combat it is not suppose to change the battle.

That is the way to balance the match, because I suppose that you are not going to nerf the shooting phase, and is possible a team could have 5-7 war machines or even more shooting, or could be possible not going with shoots or magic and have 4500 points just in combat, and that armys are pretty difficult to beat without any buffs or nerfs, because they are supposse that their units are good enough for not need anything in addition.

In conclusion, magic should be addapted to the double battle, in other case shooting armys and full combat armys could be so strong to deal with.
  • I've also started thinking about this very same issue, gonna have a big battle after midsummer with some 20K on each side. We're probably going to try just playing it normal to see how it scales. I play Empire and EoS and should have a decent amount of Channeling units even without Wizards to get a few extra power dice.

Drawing two cards or doubling all numbers on a single card could work quite well. While I see your concern with one unit getting 3-4 buffs, you can avoid those situations with some strategy. Make sure there's at least 2-3 important combats going on at any given time so that if priority is made on one unit, the rest is more likely to falter. Could still be an issue with death stars, of course.
  • Hello mate,

We've held a few big games at our club. I would suggest the following - as each card is 'balanced' and won't affect players who don't bring mages as you'll always have a balanced amount of dice.

- Let every active army with 1 mage draw a magic card in the phase

Pros:
    - Probably more balanced than doubling.
    Cons:
    - It can be too brutal, still.

You could also add that mages can only use dice from the card they drew to cast, but in terms of dispelling you can use any dice.
    Mainly play KoE and OnG

Rory Stoves - Member of The London Wargaming Guild (WHGG / LWG)
    Find us at meetup.com/The-London-Warhammer-Gaming-Guild/