Slaves - new unit proposal

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Slaves - new unit proposal

OK I will keep this as brief as possible, and whilst I know this issue does come up from time to time - I thought I may as well propose something anyway:

Seemingly every other army has received multiple new units, whereas I believe DE have received none. Fleet Commander and the Cult 'upgrades' don't really count for the purposes of this example, I'm meaning more along the lines of monstrous infantry for dwarfs, spear dwarfs etc.

Dread Elves seemingly have a large weakness to any kind of small arms fire (in addition to 'large arms' fire) - T3 elite troops with little armour means they die very easily (witches, headsmen of nabh, tower guard, yema dancers). We have one item that helps against this in the Ring of Shadows, which is kinda cool I agree, but if you want to protect an elite foot unit from fire it requires a character on foot in there to hold it (at the expense of other potential items).

As per 8th edition, DE were piratical slavers, and I just think it would be very fitting if DE were able to bring say 0-1 units of 10-20 slaves with them to drive in front of the army, absorbing missile fire and acting as meat-shields.

Off the top of my head:

M4
    offensive WS2
    defensive WS2
    S2
    T3
    LD4

hand weapons only.

special rule: if a dark elf unit with at least as many models (unit strength?) is within 6", their leadership is increased to 7 (or 8?). would skirmish be appropriate? perhaps. if so then reduce model count. i'd like to keep the unit simple and without too many special rules.

don't know about points yet, but it's simple, thematic, and serves a purpose in that it provides a bit of a counter to gunline lists. volley fire makes a mockery of the idea but i never much liked volley fire anyway. i'd to be able to buy random models from other armies and paint them all in drab greys and browns and have them all in a unit together as slaves from previous victories (what few that i have!)

anyway, just a suggestion!
    #freekillerinstinct - Killer Instinct for all Dread Elves!
  • toots wrote:

special rule: if a dark elf unit with at least as many models (unit strength?) is within 6", their leadership is increased to 7 (or 8?). would skirmish be appropriate? perhaps. if so then reduce model count. i'd like to keep the unit simple and without too many special rules.
    Another suggestion: the slaves automatically move (flee) away from the nearest DE-Unit.

toots wrote:

don't know about points yet, but it's simple, thematic, and serves a purpose in that it provides a bit of a counter to gunline lists. volley fire makes a mockery of the idea but i never much liked volley fire anyway.
    Similar to slaves, harpies could counter volley fire or provide meatshields against small arms fire (at least thematically).
  • Slave defense - Unit gains 5 slave tokens. May gain additional slave tokens for x points each, up to a maximum of 20 slave tokens.

For each wound allocated to the unit before any saves on a roll of 4+ the wound is ignored and a slave token is discarded. This may not be used against attacks with penetrating.
    Additionally the unit suffers -2 to march rate whilst the unit has any slave tokens.
    #freekillerinstinct
  • toots wrote:

anyway, just a suggestion!
    Sadly 0% chance of becoming true. From Ninth Scroll #3:

"Dread Elves Hard Weaknesses
    (…)
    Strength in Numbers
    (…)
    While Infernal Dwarfs might bring their slaves to the battlefield, the Dread Elves use their slaves only for their economy."

Aside from the direct statement, it's very telling, that Strength In Numbers is seen as a "harder" weakness than Toughness.
    My blog with battle reports and painting gallery: bleaklegion.wordpress.com/