Pinned Spoilery Spoiler Thread for 0.204 DE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Spoilery Spoiler Thread for 0.204 DE

Hello DE Community,

As some of you may have hoped we are allowed to do spoilers again this time. Before jumping into it I want to say that this update is all about the small things for us DE. We had a good chunk of rejected designs, but seeing how our book is on a good way with the last update this shouldn't disappoint you as much. Some of you maybe expected bad after our Race was 1st in WTC, however I can calm you: we only got 1 nerf design wise and it is a quite reasonable one and was kept as low as possible. this nerf helped us to not get multiple nerfs. I guess by hearing that you probably know whats coming. So without further ado lets jump right into it.

Midnight cloak
    Cannot be taken by models with Towering Presence.
    The wearer gains Devastating Charge (Multiple Wounds (D3)) and Aegis (3+, against Ranged Attacks).

As you can see "cannot be taken by models with Towering Presence" was added. RT implemented this to nerf the Manticore prince. If we didn't change the cloak it would have been likely that a) the manticore would increase its points by quite a bit b) transcendence would have to be nerfed. c) the cloaks effect would have to be changed. The manticoreprince got to mandatory and was seen as a "hobbykiller" with the cloak. With that change our beloved cloak can keep all of his effects and be useful for all other types of builds. Other than that no Designnerfs. Additionally you might fear that this build or in general DE get double and triple nerfed as it was the case for HE, however I pretty much can guarantee that this is not the case. You just can't combine the cloak with the manticore. All in all I found this to be reasonable and RT definitely had good intentions.

So lets get to our buffs section now.

Next in line are our other magic items.
    lets begin with beast masters lash: We had finished a design for this baby already, when one of our Community members, who has got internal access contacted me and suggested another rule that I really liked. Fortunately I was able to convince the TT to reconsider our already settled Design. We wanted to make the item more impactful and something you can really plan with while building your list. The new Beast Masters Lash is now:

Beastmaster's Lash (XX pts)
    The roll for determining the number of hits from Stomp Attacks of friendly Gigantic models within 12" of the bearer is subject to Maximised Roll. The roll for determining the number of hits from Stomp Attacks of enemy Gigantic models within 12" of the bearer is subject to Minimised Roll.

So again we wanted the new Beastmaster's Lash to be impactful on the game again. We had to implement in the wording that only gigantic models are affected as there are 2 Units that have got D3 Stomps and we as the Task Team could not include them without pages of text in the rule, or a BRB change, which we are not enabled to. However as there are only 2 units with this mechanic it should not make a big difference. So this is why only gigantic models are effected. I think this is a pretty powerful design and an excellent choice for monstermash lists. Together with Beastmaster this should make a really good combo, or even without

Next in Line is Ring of Shadows. This one was asked by the community to be changed into giving hard target instead of increasing Cover or granting cover. You said it, we listened. The new Ring of shadows is:

Ring of Shadows (XX pts)
    If the bearer's unit consists entirely of Standard Size models,
    • all models in the unit gain Hard Target.
    • Close Combat Attacks allocated towards models inthe bearers unit suffer -1 Offensive Skill.
    The change of the wording and that only units that consist entirely of Standard Sized models are effected was necessary to guarantee that an Altar would not benefit from Hard Target. I know this is a little bit flawed, but it was either this or the fear of a rejected Design/pretty high point increase. So we needed to keep the status quo as good as possible. So make sure to use Ring of Shadows and leave your Altar out of the Unit!

Next is the Academy Banner.
    This one was easy I know you actually liked the Design but it was too situational and most of the Times not worth a Banner Slot. I think it is quite obvious what we did here:

Academy Banner (XX pts) - Dread Legionnaires, Repeater Auxiliaries, and Corsairs only.
    0-3 Banners per Army.
    R&F models in the bearer's unit gain Devastating Charge (+1 AP) +1 Armour Penetration in the first Round of Combat. Dread Legionnaires, Repeater Auxiliaries, and Corsairs in units within 6" of one or more other units with Academy Banner gain +1 Armour Penetration in the first Round of Combat.
    So the Banner works now in first turn of Combat instead of only the charge. I personally think this was all that was needed. I think it may be of great use for MMU and even on corsairs this will make them more viable apart from pricing ofc. Im really looking forward to that change even if it is the smallest one

This concludes our Magic Item changes. Lets go to our cult section:

The first change, also demanded by the community was Cult of Cadaron. You guys were pretty unhappy that Dark Raiders without Crossbows are losing Killer Instinct. Salvation is on its way! The New Cult of Cadaron is:

Cult of Cadaron
    The model gains Cult Rivalry.
    Shooting Attacks made by the model part gain +1 to hit when shooting from Short Range. A model part with Cult of Cadaron and a Shooting Weapon loses Killer Instinct if it had it.

This is it- simple and effective. We wanted to implement that Units with Crossbows only get Cult of Cadaron however Background Team said nay nay and shut that down. Dark Raiders are hunters and in any case devoted to Cadaron. However Hunters can also be skilled in Close Combat so at least we got this change through! I hope it makes you a bit happier and you understand why we couldn't do something else.

Next is Cult of Olaron. I really don't want to repeat the abomination of a rule that it was before. However the TT had to look for a rule that has an impact but still doesn't mess too much with the book. I know some of you requested nothing with Discipline again, however we had to stick to the background and to the concept of tactical brilliance. I really tried to suggest a couple of rules that didn't work with leadership however it was difficult to find something that is fitting to the background, okay with balance and still is useful. Nevertheless I think what we came up with is pretty good.

Cult of Olaron
    The model gains +1 Discipline. If the model's Discipline would be more than 10 after all modifiers are applied, all Discipline Tests taken by the model's unit are subject to Minimised Roll instead of gaining +1 Discipline.

This keeps the rule very relevant even if we already have got Dis 10, as Dis 11 was a No-No. I don't really remember if RT or BLT wasn't okay with Dis 11 but I think we still came up with a pretty good solution. However keep in Mind that this effects all your Core Units as well in a Mono Cult Army. This means ld9 corsairs, Auxilaries and Legionnaires. This means it is quite good but I assume will have its price. whats cool though is you can now have a captain as General or even a Cult priest if you'd like and won't miss your bubble. However RT was not okay with ld 10 Towerguard, so their ld got reduced to 8 which again is 9 with the cult. Although this looks a bit uncool it means that it wouldn't mess with our pricing on TG. So lets see it as a good thing. Mechanicwise its the same as before for TG.

Lastly i promised you something for our corsairs. This was like really really really short before deadline because it was new to me that you all disliked the corsairs so much. Luckily we nevertheless were able to pass this design and agree even in a really short time. Corsairsthemselves don't get changed BUT Repeater Handbows get a well deserved buff. As Mobile Shooting is one of our strength we wanted to emphasize this strength. The new Rule for Handbows is:

Repeater Handbow: Shooting Weapon.
    Range 12", Shots 2, Str 3, AP 0, Quick to Fire.
    This weapon can be used even if the model performed a March Move earlier this Player Turn.

This way you can move up with your Corsairs still shoot and then either get charged or charge the next turn. Maybe combined with the new Academy Banner? maybe combined with vanguard and triple marching banner? maybe combined with vanguard and Yema? You name it!

This is unfortunately already it. I hope you guys like most of the changes. As usual i can't give you any points changes but we will be alright! I would like to ask you to remain as friendly as possible. Typing that up took me a while, the internal discussions took me a pretty long while and we really tried our best to get the best out of it. Please consider this before ranting.

So this leaves me with nothing to say but MAKE DREAD ELVES GREAT AGAIN.

noir out!
  • Nameless One wrote:

Some predictions. All lists switch to Pegasus lord with fleet commander. Both get nerf in next hotfix. Thank you very much for manticore I ve just painted) it won’t see the table until team finally ruin midnight cloak in next fixes for the greater good.
    Let’s First see what blt did with the manticore before throwing them away :)) I mean before it was the chariot than the manticore and before that it was just not playing a lord. I expect more variety when it comes to mounts! Could be wrong ofc!
  • Midnight cloak
    Cannot be taken by models with Towering Presence.
    The wearer gains Devastating Charge (Multiple Wounds (D3)) and Aegis (3+, against Ranged Attacks).
    This is fine. Can still be taken on a chariot or Pegasus. We still have other wardsave options.

Beastmaster's Lash (XX pts)
    The roll for determining the number of hits from Stomp Attacks of friendly Gigantic models within 12" of the bearer is subject to Maximised Roll. The roll for determining the number of hits from Stomp Attacks of enemy Gigantic models within 12" of the bearer is subject to Minimised Roll.
    Love that it also buffs our monsters. Very cool. However, is now complete trash versus Ogres. Which is sadly the opponent I play the most. I guess ogres arnt exactly stupid enough to be controlled by a beastmaster so it kinda works in fluff.

Ring of Shadows (XX pts)
    If the bearer's unit consists entirely of Standard Size models,
    • all models in the unit gain Hard Target.
    • Close Combat Attacks allocated towards models in the bearers unit suffer -1 Offensive Skill.
    Great change, still means my units get wasted by auto hit shooting and magic but cant have it all.

Academy Banner (XX pts) - Dread Legionnaires, Repeater Auxiliaries, and Corsairs only.
    0-3 Banners per Army.
    R&F models in the bearer's unit gain Devastating Charge (+1 AP) +1 Armour Penetration in the first Round of Combat. Dread Legionnaires, Repeater Auxiliaries, and Corsairs in units within 6" of one or more other units with Academy Banner gain +1 Armour Penetration in the first Round of Combat.

Again a brilliant change. Spears have recently become one of my favorite units. 2 units of spears standing near by get agi 7, ap 4 when being charged O.o thats scary.

Cult of Cadaron
    Shooting Attacks made by the model part gain +1 to hit when shooting from Short Range. A model part with Cult of Cadaron and a Shooting Weapon loses Killer Instinct if it had it.

So this means that you still cant run a mono cult army with chaff in core. this is a much more word way of achieving the intended goal. Think this was a missed opportunity.

Cult of Olaron
    The model gains +1 Discipline. If the model's Discipline would be more than 10 after all modifiers are applied, all Discipline Tests taken by the model's unit are subject to Minimised Roll instead of gaining +1 Discipline.

This seems good, like the change. A prince with a bsb makes our units quasi unbreakable. Question though if you have Discipline 10 and are olaron which would entitle you to minimised rolls, then lose combat by 1 so you take your test at -1 does that still let you have minimised rolls or are you now down to 9 and dont qualify?

Repeater Handbow: Shooting Weapon.
    Range 12", Shots 2, Str 3, AP 0, Quick to Fire.
    This weapon can be used even if the model performed a March Move earlier this Player Turn.
    This is a great move. I love it to bits. Vanguarding pegasus shenanigans are now probs the best build though hahahaha. The only negative thing I can say about this is that repeater auxiliaries are now the most garbage.
    #freekillerinstinct
  • I am biased about the Cult of Olaron giving ld10 + minimized when in the general's commanding presence is not the intended result.
    It basically means you can just throw away the cult general for Olaron. You lose a lot of great options when going Olaron mono-cult. the ld10 minimized was the one good thing about to happen and it gets shot down. really a shame. You would think someone with knowledge of the general rules would see this common from miles! (I noticed it straight away with me having access to the books)

Playtester

:UD_bw: :EoS: :DE:
  • noir wrote:

Nameless One wrote:

Some predictions. All lists switch to Pegasus lord with fleet commander. Both get nerf in next hotfix. Thank you very much for manticore I ve just painted) it won’t see the table until team finally ruin midnight cloak in next fixes for the greater good.
    Let’s First see what blt did with the manticore before throwing them away :)) I mean before it was the chariot than the manticore and before that it was just not playing a lord. I expect more variety when it comes to mounts! Could be wrong ofc!
    it’s almost as if Elf characters can only compete/justify their initial cost when they are on a mount which gives them more toughness, armour, mobility and killing power...
    #freekillerinstinct