v204 Release is here!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The website will be under maintenance this weekend (May 25st - May 27th), starting around 18:00 CET
During this time, the forum will be unavailable and downloading the rules will not be possible.
Though we will proceed as fast as possible, we are not sure yet how long the forum will remain out of reach. We might push info on Twitter if it takes more time than expected.

• v204 Release is here!

Hello T9A Community!

You will have hopefully seen our exciting news about the T9A V204 beta release here: the-ninth-age.com/news/index.p…36-v204-beta-has-arrived/

As promised, here is one of our resident RT @DanT to talk you through some of the new changes in the rulebook:

Magic/Spells
    • Molten copper: Alchemy seen as too all-round (design intention of paths is that they all have pros and cons and require list to be built around them to an extent) due to molten copper. Changed to be a fairly focussed knight killer rather than perfect elf killing magic missile.
    • Divination conclave: 2.0 spell selection rules make fielding multiple divination wizards only viable in a couple of configurations. This was the simplest change that made a divination master plus supporting wizards more viable. Interesting note: some constructive and comprehensive posts on the public forum played some part in persuading RT that this was indeed an issue.
    • Cascading fire: seen as dead spell. Change is small but allows for double tapping 2D6 str4 on enemies at range in some circumstances (the ethos of pyromancy) whilst still being usable in combat.
    • Oaken throne: Druidism attribute strong, particularly now there are no scrolls and getting one spell off is basically guaranteed. Also path benefitted from change to spell selection rules. RT wanted to make a minimal change to dial the path down a small touch, so settled on removing attribute from oaken throne.
    • Bewitching glare: Seen as situational, a little lack lustre, and of course un-usable against some armies. Was also considered that witchcraft perhaps couldn't affect combats as much as a "hex" path should be able to. RT went through all sorts of wacky designs before settling on something that was sensible and kinda a known quantity.
    • Truth of time: Concerns that this spell is becoming over-used in top tier play, particularly due to increase/decrease in threat range of units. The solution adds no threat range, but vastly increases chances of being towards the top/bottom ends of the existing threat range.
    • Occultism: path seen to be too limited, and perhaps a tad weak. Solution was to reduce the targeting restrictions on two of the spells to make the path both a touch better and a touch more player-friendly.

Items
    • Willows ward. AP0 seen as a bit bonkers in some situations (charging rock auroch, steam tank etc), so dialled down a touch to a slightly more reasonable effect.
    • Book of arcane power. Added little to "normal" adepts who only know 2 spells. Wanted a design that is equally useful for all adepts.

Core rules
    • Cannons: Have a rock-paper-scissors nature which offers little counterplay. Also small immersion problem of doing little vs ranked units. At the same time, we didn't want to rip the carpet out from under anyone, so decided to go for a pair of small changes.

So there you go, the books are being uploaded shortly!

Comments and thoughts below!

See you on the Battlefield

T9A Team
    http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Fantasy Dwarf website on the net, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, balls to ships!

Advisory Board

Head of Public Relations

Bugmans Brewery Owner (Dwarven Holds)

• I apprciate the work you guys have done, I really do.

I just wonder why (almost) every single item had to be changed? Again?
    There's a lot of stuff .. I really wonder what was wrong with it in its 2.03 form.
    A lot of my builds are horribly messed up now. 60% is impossible to field.

PLEASE stop changing everything now - at least until May 2021?

Please? ;) Much appreciated!!
    Playing/painting: SA, DE & HbE ..
  • How long will 204 be in place for? when is 205 scheduled for? Days? Weeks? Months? I'd like a rough ball park to see whether its worth speculating on lists for a tourney at the end of June (hate painting up a new list to find out its illegal, which has just happened as I near completion)
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army
  • @WastelandWarrior
    V205 wont make any appearance until post august as a bare minimum

@Teowulff we are moving as quickly as we can towards a stable release book where you will indeed be able to enjoy a very long atability period
    http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Fantasy Dwarf website on the net, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, balls to ships!

Advisory Board

Head of Public Relations

Bugmans Brewery Owner (Dwarven Holds)

• Bugman wrote:

@WastelandWarrior
    V205 wont make any appearance until post august as a bare minimum

@Teowulff we are moving as quickly as we can towards a stable release book where you will indeed be able to enjoy a very long atability period
    does that account for army books too? or just main book (not just for 205 but 204.1-9) are we frozen till after ETC arbitrary date non tourney related?
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army
  • Teowulff wrote:

I apprciate the work you guys have done, I really do.

I just wonder why (almost) every single item had to be changed? Again?
    There's a lot of stuff .. I really wonder what was wrong with it in its 2.03 form.
    A lot of my builds are horribly messed up now. 60% is impossible to field.

PLEASE stop changing everything now - at least until May 2021?

Please? ;) Much appreciated!!
    I presume you are predominantly referring to points changes here?
    New rules:
    (1) I will do my best to answer your criticisms, particularly of RT, but don't forget to thank one of the unsung heros who hold this project together: rules clarity team, lectors, website admin, background etc...
    (2) If you tag me and I don't answer you, its because I'm busy, sorry :( . If you still want an answer ~4 days later then tag me again and I will try to do better :)
  • Magic/Spells
    Oaken throne: Druidism attribute strong, particularly now there are no scrolls and getting one spell off is basically guaranteed. Also path benefitted from change to spell selection rules. RT wanted to make a minimal change to dial the path down a small touch, so settled on removing attribute from oaken throne.
    ?( The binding scrolls are still there as far as i can see.
  • As someone mentioned earlier. Please stop changing things for the sake of change, there are a lot of changes and most of them seem completely redundant. Can we please soon have a game that is possible to play for more than a few months, 1.3 was great(better than it is now i my opinion), but you keep making changes nonetheless. If this game is gonna survive it needs to be far more stable.
  • AngusArmsved wrote:

As someone mentioned earlier. Please stop changing things for the sake of change, there are a lot of changes and most of them seem completely redundant. Can we please soon have a game that is possible to play for more than a few months, 1.3 was great(better than it is now i my opinion), but you keep making changes nonetheless. If this game is gonna survive it needs to be far more stable.
    No changes now until Sept/Oct.
    Then a final round of (possibly exclusively) price changes.
    Then everything locked down and focus switches to full army books.
    So you are close to getting your wish.
    New rules:
    (1) I will do my best to answer your criticisms, particularly of RT, but don't forget to thank one of the unsung heros who hold this project together: rules clarity team, lectors, website admin, background etc...
    (2) If you tag me and I don't answer you, its because I'm busy, sorry :( . If you still want an answer ~4 days later then tag me again and I will try to do better :)
  • Bugman wrote:

• Bewitching glare: Seen as situational, a little lack lustre, and of course un-usable against some armies. Was also considered that witchcraft perhaps couldn't affect combats as much as a "hex" path should be able to. RT went through all sorts of wacky designs before settling on something that was sensible and kinda a known quantity.

I don't get the new version of this spell.... The new version is almost as situational (a little less but not by much,) but considerably less punishing when cast. Not to mention this lore already has 3 other spells that affect your opponents ability to hit things, (yes i see that its effects to wound rolls also,) but it just does not seem necessary to me...

On top of that why is the casting cost so high? its effect is not that bad but with base cost of 9, I could cast a boosted deceptive glamour on a 7 and get -1 to hit (again situational but better than re-rolling 6s),or the wheel turns on an 8. after that it gets worse when you boost it to effect shooting with a cost of 11? or you could cast twisted effigy on a 6 and make the unit not able to shoot at all ( a million times better.)

This spell would fit way better if the casting cost was around 7 and it effected all hit and to wound. Not to mention i really liked the 203 version....