Wildhorns debate

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• I ALWAYS use them cause we need scorings in Core. I don't like our other Core units for this list construction problem. Other armies had always better Core scorings than us. We can easily compare them to Orcs Eadbashers or Saurus Warriors.
    My 2 sets :

- 35 PW, FCG, Wild herd Banner and Blooded Horn Totem : they're ok with a character (GW for high Strength) in them. In other case, they lack of Strength, Discipline and are too dependant of magic.
    - 15 PW, Ambush, Standard of Discipline : mandatory banner if I want they are again in the table after taking some shoots. They are better with the 2.4 since the new version of Hunting Call for Beastlord (we may (not must) reroll for ambush and choose to come first turn). But with a mino warlord, we can't have this. Throwing Axe = clearly does nothing.

I have some ideas for them :

1. Little natural boost in Strength (maybe Devastating charge +1 S like Gargoyles) ?
    2. The Wild banner which boosts their Strength is clearly too expensive (1 round only and don't benefit to characters...)
    3. Little units are too expensive since we must take 15 mini of them. We can't take more than 2 units so their principal advantage (ambushing scorings) is lost.
    Mon blog figurines (HB, GDC, Gobs), sculptures, rapports de bataille, tournois, campagne : WaRampage
  • demgear wrote:

Randdogs wrote:

Devastating Charge (Thrown Weapon): A unit with this ability is able to make a thrown weapon attack while charging.
    I like this idea, but I know it will get shot down! Would it be an impact it at the units S or how else would you do it?
    The only way I can think of fixing Gor, (apart from giving them S4 which I would love), is to give them 2 attacks if they pass primal fury.

LD is still a downside, you are getting MAX 10 extra attacks if10 wide, still limited at S3 or S3 if banner. Gives them a bit more chance to do some damage before dying.
    Maybe this is where that ap1 that some are talking about can be applied? Can spin it as momentum of the charge or background it as BH are "Masters of the Axe" or something similar.

Sorry about late response, I'm on vacation.
  • New

Hello I am relatively new and have never played wargames but I found the argument for strength four convincing.

Or alternatively for the Beast Axe suggestion you could instead let the Wildhorns have access to halberds (or great weapons?) for like 3/model, and let Longhorns have access to Beast Axes at a cost. That way Wildhorns can gain access to the higher strength attacks and Longhorns still have something unique to them.

Or maybe all wildhorns get thrown weapons and discipline 8.
  • New

Grytorm wrote:

Hello I am relatively new and have never played wargames but I found the argument for strength four convincing.

Or alternatively for the Beast Axe suggestion you could instead let the Wildhorns have access to halberds (or great weapons?) for like 3/model, and let Longhorns have access to Beast Axes at a cost. That way Wildhorns can gain access to the higher strength attacks and Longhorns still have something unique to them.

Or maybe all wildhorns get thrown weapons and discipline 8.
    I have argued the usage of Beast Axe on Longhorns for years now. Even when they had +1As because in that way they could work with totems better.
    Let's say you have totems in action:

Great weapon + Blooded Horn - extra strenght, extra attacks, basically no armour save, extra damage output but iniciative 0.
    Halberd + Black Wing - solid damage output but iniciative 6 or 7. Strike first, kill some to fight again
    Beast Axe + Gnarled Hide - solid damage output, Def.6, distracting but iniciative 0.

The sinergy is here!

If the Banner of the WIld Herd would work for every first round of combat - it would transform WIldhorns into main block again. Something like War Banner of Ryma that those overloved and overprotected Highborn Elves have... Ok, they have a Devastating Charge but then again, they have units with M 9" + swiftstride and access to Witchcraft.