How to get new players (ex. "I'm afraid this game has no way of getting any new players.")

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

  • Eldan wrote:

    Just_Flo wrote:

    Eldan wrote:

    Tried that. People stop replying mid-conversation. See campaign team, background team, VS team, German translation team.
    Can you please help me when the german translation team stopped mid-conversation?
    If I belived something solved what you did not consider solved than please pm me again.
    Ah, no, that one was fine. There, it just turned out that German translators aren't really needed, since no one cared about German translations of the fluff.
    Well I would be happy if we have german translations of fluff.
    But I belive most people to direct that to can be reached on tabletopwelt.de and on warhammer-board.de.
    So spreading it there and on the german facebook page should get more reads.
    The reason we mostly have translated rules and almost no fluff is the interest most of my translators have.(Which is earlier rulesaccess)
    When finally rules are through I will try to motivate them for fluff, too.

    So if you still want to do Flufftranslations I will market it for you.

    SA-ACS Playtester

    Translation / United Nation DE

    The work of TouS and where to report your lists. An app to report your games.
  • I'm finding that the best way locally to grab new players for 9th Age for us, is to cart my terrain to the stores I used to play 40k/Warmachine/infinity at and setup during the open gaming days (Saturday/Sunday) for us.

    We're in western Canada, which thankfully has a large basis of old warhammer players. And most of them are taken quite quickly with the power creep free army compositions, and stability of what their armies do.

    Usually 3-4 times an afternoon we might be playing 1-2 games, someone will come and sit once they spot square bases in action. I bring all the army books with me so they can browse their oldhammer faction of choice, and explain what we are doing if they're interested.
  • DJWoodelf wrote:

    Eldan wrote:

    Yes. That. We half a page per faction explainin who they are, so they can be played and more can be written. You can keep the details secret, if you want to, but we need at least a basic idea.

    Eldan wrote:

    No, I know that one. I've read it. But it doesn't provide much, except how humans see us. Again, no names, not much on society, almost nothing on army organisation. What you actually need to field an army.
    ...all that on half a page. :lol:


    Yes?

    Start with a quote from the faction. Two lines, end it with a name that it is attributed to. Then:

    "The Vermin are organized as a loose collection of city states, which all nominally owe allegiance to the Dusk Senate. They see themselves as a Republic and are proud of their democratic institutions, which they have inherited from old Avras, in practise, the plebeian hordes tend to follow and vote for whichever patrician makes them the grandest promises or, more likely, their landlords and employers.
    In times of war, which are near perpetual, the swarm follows the Avrasian tradition of nominating a general for Tyrant or Dictator and investing them with sweeping extralegal power, though unlike the proud tradition of the old city, where generals peacefully stepped down once their duty is done, powerful warlords tend to hold on to power with tooth and tail, leading to frequent and bloody civil wars.
    Republican armies are organized around a core of militia, where those who can afford their own weapons and armour follow charismatic leaders into battle in exchange for a promise of regular meals and looting. Accompanying them are the velite light infantry of the Sicarian league, the fearsome warbeasts of the Fetthis game masters and the awesome war machines of the Rakatoi academy."


    There, that's less than half a page.


    Then, do what the Auxillary army books do. One line of fluff per unit entry helps tremendously to explain what things actually are. More than just a name and some stats.
    Vote Clodius Commodus Catilina for Tyrant.
    Free grain - no taxes - Avras reconquered - two slaves for every Rat - Triumphs daily - 24/7 chariot racing - Twice the Tribunes - a surface Chicken in every pot - Eat the Rich

    True Heirs of Avras: Vermin Swarm Auxillary Army books
  • Just_Flo wrote:

    Eldan wrote:

    Just_Flo wrote:

    Eldan wrote:

    Tried that. People stop replying mid-conversation. See campaign team, background team, VS team, German translation team.
    Can you please help me when the german translation team stopped mid-conversation?If I belived something solved what you did not consider solved than please pm me again.
    Ah, no, that one was fine. There, it just turned out that German translators aren't really needed, since no one cared about German translations of the fluff.
    Well I would be happy if we have german translations of fluff.But I belive most people to direct that to can be reached on tabletopwelt.de and on warhammer-board.de.
    So spreading it there and on the german facebook page should get more reads.
    The reason we mostly have translated rules and almost no fluff is the interest most of my translators have.(Which is earlier rulesaccess)
    When finally rules are through I will try to motivate them for fluff, too.

    So if you still want to do Flufftranslations I will market it for you.
    Well, yeah, absolutely. It was just disheartening last time that apparently no one read them. If there's a market, I enjoy translating fluff.
    Vote Clodius Commodus Catilina for Tyrant.
    Free grain - no taxes - Avras reconquered - two slaves for every Rat - Triumphs daily - 24/7 chariot racing - Twice the Tribunes - a surface Chicken in every pot - Eat the Rich

    True Heirs of Avras: Vermin Swarm Auxillary Army books
  • @Haunted Forest

    Whereabouts are you located? Europe? USA? other?

    Our game doesn't appeal to everyone - but we have to work to make sure that we EXPOSE the game to a wide audience.

    If we take 100 gamers, show them the game, get 50 of them to try it, and get maybe 5 to walk away committed then we are doing well. Our number one task is raising our exposure. Play at game stores, go to the local mini conventions and run demo games, keep up the outreach.

    Not everyone will want our style of game, but we fill a niche. So our number one goal is working to raise the profile so that people know what we are, what the status is, and that the game is alive and well.

    My real-life will get busy after gold, but I still plan on working hard to spread the word that we can make our own game, and that it can be damned good.

    Head of Lectors

    Quick Starter Team

    "...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

    - Grouchy Badger

  • Okay this evening I will create threads on ttw, wb, gwfanworld and german T9A board. I will also prepare a Flufftranslation Collection file. Than I will try to get an admin to include that file into the beta translation page.

    So if you apply to Translation DE now you will already be a member this evening.

    SA-ACS Playtester

    Translation / United Nation DE

    The work of TouS and where to report your lists. An app to report your games.
  • Just_Flo wrote:

    Okay this evening I will create threads on ttw, wb, gwfanworld and german T9A board. I will also prepare a Flufftranslation Collection file. Than I will try to get an admin to include that file into the beta translation page.

    So if you apply to Translation DE now you will already be a member this evening.
    Alright then, sent in. (I'm not giving up my Picket Sign).
    Vote Clodius Commodus Catilina for Tyrant.
    Free grain - no taxes - Avras reconquered - two slaves for every Rat - Triumphs daily - 24/7 chariot racing - Twice the Tribunes - a surface Chicken in every pot - Eat the Rich

    True Heirs of Avras: Vermin Swarm Auxillary Army books
  • Philbo wrote:

    I'm finding that the best way locally to grab new players for 9th Age for us, is to cart my terrain to the stores I used to play 40k/Warmachine/infinity at and setup during the open gaming days (Saturday/Sunday) for us.

    We're in western Canada, which thankfully has a large basis of old warhammer players. And most of them are taken quite quickly with the power creep free army compositions, and stability of what their armies do.

    Usually 3-4 times an afternoon we might be playing 1-2 games, someone will come and sit once they spot square bases in action. I bring all the army books with me so they can browse their oldhammer faction of choice, and explain what we are doing if they're interested.
    :handshake: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :number1: :clapping: :clapping:
    GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • Philbo wrote:

    I'm finding that the best way locally to grab new players for 9th Age for us, is to cart my terrain to the stores I used to play 40k/Warmachine/infinity at and setup during the open gaming days (Saturday/Sunday) for us.

    We're in western Canada, which thankfully has a large basis of old warhammer players. And most of them are taken quite quickly with the power creep free army compositions, and stability of what their armies do.

    Usually 3-4 times an afternoon we might be playing 1-2 games, someone will come and sit once they spot square bases in action. I bring all the army books with me so they can browse their oldhammer faction of choice, and explain what we are doing if they're interested.
    This is basically my goal for getting more and more people involved in the game.

    I'm glad theres some good action happening out west.

    Ontario seems to have gone heavily 40k/AoS/KoW

    We're working on restarting things though - it just takes time, and that is always in short supply.

    Head of Lectors

    Quick Starter Team

    "...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

    - Grouchy Badger

  • It's interesting around our place. All the players I liked playing against have gone on to play skirmish games (I see a lot of Freebooter's Fate, Shadespire, Infinity and Batman, some Malifaux, Frostgrave, Dystopian Wars, Mordheim) or their own homebrew systems, whereas the players I played rarely or actively disliked playing against have gone on to AoS, 40k (which used to be much smaller than fantasy just a few years ago) or X-Wing. With exceptions in both directions, of course.
    Vote Clodius Commodus Catilina for Tyrant.
    Free grain - no taxes - Avras reconquered - two slaves for every Rat - Triumphs daily - 24/7 chariot racing - Twice the Tribunes - a surface Chicken in every pot - Eat the Rich

    True Heirs of Avras: Vermin Swarm Auxillary Army books
  • kisanis wrote:

    Philbo wrote:

    I'm finding that the best way locally to grab new players for 9th Age for us, is to cart my terrain to the stores I used to play 40k/Warmachine/infinity at and setup during the open gaming days (Saturday/Sunday) for us.

    We're in western Canada, which thankfully has a large basis of old warhammer players. And most of them are taken quite quickly with the power creep free army compositions, and stability of what their armies do.

    Usually 3-4 times an afternoon we might be playing 1-2 games, someone will come and sit once they spot square bases in action. I bring all the army books with me so they can browse their oldhammer faction of choice, and explain what we are doing if they're interested.
    This is basically my goal for getting more and more people involved in the game.
    I'm glad theres some good action happening out west.

    Ontario seems to have gone heavily 40k/AoS/KoW

    We're working on restarting things though - it just takes time, and that is always in short supply.
    That's exactly how I've felt! I'm actively portioning off my efforts into the other game systems I've helped bolster, and are focusing singularily on 9th after seeing the European's passion for the game.

    Granted I'm more of a game/hobby/player enthusiast more than a fluff reader. But it's just so damn good!

    Happy to dig in and help it expand, just wish our fellow players were also an hour or two away. Not a 5 hour flight ;). Haha
  • Philbo wrote:

    just wish our fellow players were also an hour or two away. Not a 5 hour flight ;). Haha
    I'm driving 6 hours to play in Ottawa with @Morgan_Treeman - so if I can get a cheap flight, I wouldn't rule it out. Convincing my wife is another issue altogether however!


    Philbo wrote:

    I'm more of a game/hobby/player enthusiast more than a fluff reader. But it's just so damn good!
    Me too.

    I like the balanced rules, because I can plan whacky fun fluffy lists and not worry about getting outright stomped. I got onto the lectoring team primarily to support the fluff side and help with its release/polish.

    I firmly plan to lose this tournament horribly - but at least I have a fun time while losing!

    Head of Lectors

    Quick Starter Team

    "...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

    - Grouchy Badger

  • Ghiznuk wrote:

    @Eldan,

    I've created a thread dedicated to you and the great work you can do :D

    (link)

    Don't thank me ;)
    YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
    (Thank you. :P )
    Vote Clodius Commodus Catilina for Tyrant.
    Free grain - no taxes - Avras reconquered - two slaves for every Rat - Triumphs daily - 24/7 chariot racing - Twice the Tribunes - a surface Chicken in every pot - Eat the Rich

    True Heirs of Avras: Vermin Swarm Auxillary Army books
  • New

    kisanis wrote:

    @Haunted Forest

    Whereabouts are you located? Europe? USA? other?

    Our game doesn't appeal to everyone - but we have to work to make sure that we EXPOSE the game to a wide audience.

    If we take 100 gamers, show them the game, get 50 of them to try it, and get maybe 5 to walk away committed then we are doing well. Our number one task is raising our exposure. Play at game stores, go to the local mini conventions and run demo games, keep up the outreach.

    Not everyone will want our style of game, but we fill a niche. So our number one goal is working to raise the profile so that people know what we are, what the status is, and that the game is alive and well.

    My real-life will get busy after gold, but I still plan on working hard to spread the word that we can make our own game, and that it can be damned good.
    I am from Germany. Sure, you have to increase the number of gamers you approach in order to successfully introduce some of them to our hobby. I have been introducing several people to Blood Bowl in the last two years. No one became a regular BB player at my FLGS. Some picked up the base game and bought another team. And that was it. It was a sobering experience to say the least.

    I also pondered the idea to go to my FLGS and just present the game. But there is one obstacle. People always go to the FLGS in groups. They play rpgs, card games or whatever. You´ll have to be really lucky to find people who just happen to have nothing to do in the moment. Last month I was lucky and two guys were just loitering around so I introduced them to Freebooter´s Fate (fantasy pirate skirmish game). They liked the game but wouldn´t take the plunge to purchase minis because they were already playing Infinity.

    Perhaps I will go next weekend to the FLGS. You ´ll have to be optimistic after all but it is difficult.
  • New

    Haunted Forest wrote:

    kisanis wrote:

    @Haunted Forest

    Whereabouts are you located? Europe? USA? other?

    Our game doesn't appeal to everyone - but we have to work to make sure that we EXPOSE the game to a wide audience.

    If we take 100 gamers, show them the game, get 50 of them to try it, and get maybe 5 to walk away committed then we are doing well. Our number one task is raising our exposure. Play at game stores, go to the local mini conventions and run demo games, keep up the outreach.

    Not everyone will want our style of game, but we fill a niche. So our number one goal is working to raise the profile so that people know what we are, what the status is, and that the game is alive and well.

    My real-life will get busy after gold, but I still plan on working hard to spread the word that we can make our own game, and that it can be damned good.
    I am from Germany. Sure, you have to increase the number of gamers you approach in order to successfully introduce some of them to our hobby. I have been introducing several people to Blood Bowl in the last two years. No one became a regular BB player at my FLGS. Some picked up the base game and bought another team. And that was it. It was a sobering experience to say the least.
    I also pondered the idea to go to my FLGS and just present the game. But there is one obstacle. People always go to the FLGS in groups. They play rpgs, card games or whatever. You´ll have to be really lucky to find people who just happen to have nothing to do in the moment. Last month I was lucky and two guys were just loitering around so I introduced them to Freebooter´s Fate (fantasy pirate skirmish game). They liked the game but wouldn´t take the plunge to purchase minis because they were already playing Infinity.

    Perhaps I will go next weekend to the FLGS. You ´ll have to be optimistic after all but it is difficult.
    Well i KNOW there is a healthy community there :)

    Which State are you in? I know that the germany community works very hard to build the game up. Please check out and reach out to the German section of the forums :)

    Head of Lectors

    Quick Starter Team

    "...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

    - Grouchy Badger

  • New

    The Beninator wrote:

    Manxol wrote:

    Just wait until the greens find out we use eagles, mutated boars, dogs, wolves and tigers as chaff.
    dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4…remove-fur-Warhammer.html
    Artificial fur from mech wolves...
    I like how they also cherry picked out space WOLVES who are basically space VIKINGS to act as their example picture. It's almost like wearing fur is a part of viking themes.
    It's okay, it has frenzy.

    Just Flank It © KoE - Tactics 101
  • New

    The thing to remember is that PETA does not care if it makes sense or not. Their organisation lives entirely on publicity, and they love nothing more than making absurb claims like that, as long as it gets people talking. They know it's stupid, they just don't care.
    Vote Clodius Commodus Catilina for Tyrant.
    Free grain - no taxes - Avras reconquered - two slaves for every Rat - Triumphs daily - 24/7 chariot racing - Twice the Tribunes - a surface Chicken in every pot - Eat the Rich

    True Heirs of Avras: Vermin Swarm Auxillary Army books