How to get new players (ex. "I'm afraid this game has no way of getting any new players.")

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• That is why I decided to go for crowdfunding. I hope to be able to provide hardcover rulebook at the level of 15EUR. (I strongly stress the word HOPE). If successful I will be selling 10 - 15 times more books than a company will be able to sell starter sets. And it is still probably 40-80 times less than the number of starter sets GW sells..
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
    _____________Report your battle results using mobile app: T9A Magic Flux!
  • JimMorr wrote:

That is why I decided to go for crowdfunding. I hope to be able to provide hardcover rulebook at the level of 15EUR. (I strongly stress the word HOPE). If successful I will be selling 10 - 15 times more books than a company will be able to sell starter sets. And it is still probably 40-80 times less than the number of starter sets GW sells..
    I would also like to add those rule books to starter sets.... soft cover if possible.
  • In my time and age campaign books with no minis or just a few characters were quite popular.

Gw lost fresh blood with young people by making a start into the hobby too expensive. Aos is a Skirmisher. 9th age a rank and File tabletop. I would not mind paying 50 bucks for a starter Set with a softcover rulebook that allowed for a two Player 4500 point game for each side.
  • Jackginger wrote:

In my time and age campaign books with no minis or just a few characters were quite popular.

Gw lost fresh blood with young people by making a start into the hobby too expensive. Aos is a Skirmisher. 9th age a rank and File tabletop. I would not mind paying 50 bucks for a starter Set with a softcover rulebook that allowed for a two Player 4500 point game for each side.
    yea fully painted and brought to your door with a beautiful table.
  • Kanadian wrote:

Jackginger wrote:

In my time and age campaign books with no minis or just a few characters were quite popular.

yea fully painted and brought to your door with a beautiful table.
    LOL.

Let me be clear here.

50$ USD for a rulebook and some punch outs card minis isn't impossible - but IMO isn't worth pursuing from a commerical perspective.

But I think that JUST rules (Like @JimMorr is looking into, along with some extras at the 20-40USD mark) or a traditional box set (Like @Kanadian is suggesting at the 100-200 USD mark (depending on volume and quantity of minis) are both viable.

that 100-150$ entry is the sweet spot we need to aim for.

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Jackginger wrote:

8|

maybe 50 dollars in 1970 could have done the trick :whistling:
    GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • New

If you want to have new players, i highly recommend to you to SHARE!

Let me explain to you what we make in our club in Turkey-İstanbul.

Old players have a lot of different armies. For instance, i have dwarf, infernal dwarfs, vampire counts, dark elves, high elves armies and as well as my friends who are currently playing 9th age.

When someone - i mean a new player - would like to play 9th age, we share one of our armies with him.

He starts to play with one of our armies. He is learning and learning. Then, if this player likes the game, he naturally starts to explore the world of 9th age and armies of course.

Then, he decides naturally which army he would like to have.

In ebay, there are tons of armies that people are selling. Then bingo! we have a new player with his own army.

And the community is growing and growing. You can trust me on that way. "Sharing" is a great beginning for new players..:))

Therefore, i don't find it necessary to change the rules and try to find solutions.

In addition to that, there are very good and free companies supporting 9th age system and selling models with fair prices.

We have to consider to support these companies as well.

Kind Regards,
    Etc 9th age Turkish Team Captain (2017)
  • New

Theoden you do honor to yours, I approve your point of view.

I add the sharing of modeling tools, painting, glue, brush ... and knowledge in the field greatly simplifies the integration of a neophyte
    in the world of 9th age. (it helped me a lot personally)

Having an experienced player to "drive" the tutorial games is appreciated by new players. (EX : cc off 6 / cc def 3 = 3+ yes but parry = 4+ ok but ligthining reflexes so = 3+ ... St 4 / res 3 3+ ... arm save 4+ but AP 2 so 6+ ... and aegide 5+).
    it's hard for any beginner and completely obscure for a no gamer people.

Encourage new ones to make their own army list (with help of course).
    It allows for immersion in the world and gives the impression of progressing faster than the rules of one's own army codex.

In tournament having available referee(s) allows new players not to be frustrated by rule errors (in my opinion it is essential).
  • New

theoden wrote:

If you want to have new players, i highly recommend to you to SHARE!

Let me explain to you what we make in our club in Turkey-İstanbul.

Old players have a lot of different armies. For instance, i have dwarf, infernal dwarfs, vampire counts, dark elves, high elves armies and as well as my friends who are currently playing 9th age.

When someone - i mean a new player - would like to play 9th age, we share one of our armies with him.

He starts to play with one of our armies. He is learning and learning. Then, if this player likes the game, he naturally starts to explore the world of 9th age and armies of course.

Then, he decides naturally which army he would like to have.

In ebay, there are tons of armies that people are selling. Then bingo! we have a new player with his own army.

And the community is growing and growing. You can trust me on that way. "Sharing" is a great beginning for new players..:))

Therefore, i don't find it necessary to change the rules and try to find solutions.

In addition to that, there are very good and free companies supporting 9th age system and selling models with fair prices.

We have to consider to support these companies as well.

Kind Regards,
    I agree. When a noob shows interest it is crucial for a veteran to pave the way for him into the hobby by providing minis. Been there, done that for Blood Bowl, Necromunda, 40K, 9th Age, Freebooter´s Fate and Rumbleslam. Have I generated any new players for these respective games that I know of? Not many. But why was this the case? According to the people, the intro games were fine in a welcoming atmosphere and all minis were painted.
    Well, there is a crucial factor that needs to be addressed: Target group. Don´t waste your time and effort after an intro game with players that can be attributed as either poor, lazy or dumb. I am well aware that this may sound overly harsh but we have to deal with this problem in a direct way. I have wasted a couple of years in this manner with three guys which were and still are video game players. Only one of them could be bothered to dive into the hobby by buying minis second-hand (Too expensive!). In addition, they never expressed any will or love for the hobby which means painting minis (No time!). And finally it didn´t matter how many intro games I performed for two of them (in this case: 40K and Blood Bowl), they never grasped the rules (Too difficult!). One of them even celebrated his own cerebral inadequacy and lack of knowledge of 40K in a game and then I swore to myself one thing after this ordeal: Never waste time with jerks again!

After that I took a break from the hobby for some time and started to look for new players again. But to my misfortune I happened to get acquainted with a person which displayed the Lazy USR. We started to play Rumbleslam and Necromunda (N17) but he would use minis from a store (N17) and never painted one of his own Rumbleslam minis. He couldn´t even been bothered to assemble the Rumbleslam minis... after having them bought four months ago. Jesus Christ! He is going to get fired from his part time job in a GW store from which he always took the N17 minis. Reason: Some mistakes and lack of hobby virtues. I also found out that he bought hobby stuff but only to sell it again at a later time. So the only good thing about this whole affair was that I wasted less than a year.
    I am sorry for my contribution becoming more of a rant but it is important imo to spend time with people appreciating the hobby as a whole: Collecting, painting and playing. Don´t try to win all of them over, it would be akin to throwing pearls to swine.
  • New

@Haunted Forest

Well put....you have to find the guys (and gals) who have the "tabletop gene" ..those who are "in to it". That meaning not only fond of strategy games , no. they do have to "love" minis, like at least painting them (bonding with them). Even GW admitted that there is that "gene" (10% of all men are the potential of becoming an actual tabletop gamers/mini hobbyists).
    Else I agree it is a waste of time and , when giving them minis , of money/resources. And in the end you will get frustrated.
    If someone has those tabletop genes, they will approach YOU . Thus, it is enough to make games (demo games) ..and if there is actual interest, be open minded and ready to support this person.
    Veteran of the Chaff Wars