Building your local scene

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Building your local scene

So, I was musing this topic and in my reading on the forum I came across some information where I read that there was a +300 person tournament happening in Poland (@'Jarek' referred to is as the Poland Team Championship). That blew me away as the largest tournaments in the US run near or about 100 (Buckeye Battles) maybe a little higher. But even in the 8Ed days I think Buckeye was around 150 or so. So this was double the best the US had ever seen. It prompted me to go to the Poland forum and open a topic to ask what were they doing to achieve such success? The feedback was really interesting. Putting aside geography considerations (yeah everything in the US seems far apart, ok, I know you guys in Russia have it even worse) there are initiatives that can be done to grow your local scene. I want to post some of the things that were shared and invite people to post here what initiatives they are implementing to grow their local scene. I hope to keep this thread as an ongoing repository of things for people to refer to so as to give everyone ideas of specific things they can do by reading was has worked for others. Please keep this on a positive note. I'm aware of our challenges in spreading this game, but if we take a proactive approach, we might be able to help grow our own local scene.

So here are some interesting quotes:

blaesus wrote:

I started to organize tournaments in Wrocław - sending info to every contact I had from WFB, they also used their contacts.
    This way we had some old good company and some new friends. - Some of them already playing in league.
    With some time there was more and more. More frequent changes of rules made some people leave...

Since almost year, two separate groups play two different tournaments separately in Wrocław:
    - for casual players in Twierdza Wrocław association (no league)
    - for league players in Bolter, organized by JArekk @Jarek

The main challenge is to get totally new players - Since January we have 7 new members (I mean NEW! - They haven't played WFB before) but they get the hobby on their own - no engagement from our side. W/o a local store promoting this hobby it is hard to find totaly fresh players.
    The idea of our tournaments is just to have fun - with original and unusual rosters, to give new members a chance to have some fun w/o regular butt kicking, in the very end we have no spitting nails, no unfriendly situations.

Jarek wrote:

In Wrocław we had one huge club (20-25? players through all those years of warhammer ), that was very competitive (few ETC players, good scores on tournaments etc.). They were playing since beginning 7th ed or even before (i got to hobby in middle of 7th so idk for sure). They monopolised the scene in this city and everything about Warhammer was done with/by them. As a club "aimed at success", they discouraged a lot of people to this hobby (mainly more "fun" oriented), and i struggle with it to this day. After AoS release whole club switched to X-wing.
    I started organizing T9A tournaments with a second club ("fun" guys*), but after 6-8(?) months i moved tournaments to bigger/better place (a hobby store), and they decided that it will be better to do their own tournaments (lower lever of competitiveness higher of fun). Idk how they are going right now, maybe @blaesus can elaborate (EDIT: he already did ). So for now on I gather only those players that enjoys tournament play, and don't mind getting their ego bitten a bit.

windsower1 wrote:

One of our strength is we have a lot of volunteers. A lot of members of our community has a role which fullfill. Sometimes it is just a small things. For example, one time per month or two I organize painting competition for players. You have about a month to paint your miniatures, community is voting and you can win small prize. This encourage people to paint their armies.
    Almost every weekend in Poland we have local tournament, sometimes two or three. All this work is done by volunteers.
    Some of them you might know from t9a , but there is a lot of guys in Poland who done excellent work.

One of the best example is Katowice. By Last couple month organisation of tournament was very poor. Organizer was not active, he did not send results to league manager, he just start new topic with date on forum and do nothing more. Katowice was one of the strongest community in Poland and they had local tournaments for 6 people. Organizer change last month, he was active, he done everything right. 25 players in June

DeBelial wrote:

For most of the WFB and early T9A we organised "Sandpit" tournaments and normal ETC size tournaments.
    Sandpits were a very low point tournament aimed for new players and more casual play, and usually only local players attended.
    ETC-format tournaments gathered tournament players from nearby (up to 2 hour drive) cities.

In time we had attracted new players, some of them even haven't played WFB before (one of them is @Mamut 2 posts above ) Of these players some remained, some did not. In more recent time we had a few players returned from a X-year break, some from 6th edition, some from 8th.
    Of the players that remained active, all of them quickly gathered one or more armies of 4500 size, so for now we organise a 4500pt tournament every month. Attendance varies from 10-24 people.
    If a some new people are interested we are just make some introductory games for them.

T9A is by far the most prospering miniature game in our city, for now at least.

yedee wrote:

It's possible that t9a is the most popular wargaming system in Szczecin atm. I know there are some people playing wh40k, x-wing, Warmachine&Hordes but I doubt they are more numerous than us. However it's just a hunch so don't quote me on that!

I'd say a minature/hobby store or some other public gaming place is the best way to fish for new t9a players. Regularlily playing games or tournaments that are accesible to the public attracts most attention, especially if the players take some time to speak with the audience and explain what's happening on the battlefield. Having good looking armies is also quite important.

All in all (as others have already mentioned) it's all up to local players: they need to make an effort, commit some time and be patient - fresh faces will appear eventually I guess.

albo_albo wrote:

I tried to combine in Krakow some tournaments AoS and T9A as I assume that part of people can play both (totally different games). Either quick skirmish either long complex strategic battlefield. ... As AoS is promoted by GW and stores, and sooner or later, it will get much more young players than T9A. While combining, part of these players would play also T9A. So imo this can be the way how to increase the number of players in your local community.
  • Please post what you are doing or planning on doing to grow your local scene. I want to know.

In addition, I will go first:

My plan is to print fliers and go to my local game store in Norwalk, CT and ask the owner to post them advertising a "Learn to Play T9A" day at the store. I will coordinate with a friend of mine and we will bring four armies. We will have sample lists that can be played and will do tutorials. I'm thinking of 2000 point lists or so. What do you think @Baranovich? Want to do this with me?

Then in the fall I'm going to organize a one day tournament at the store and see if I can get +20 people to go.
  • Mr.Owl wrote:

Please post what you are doing or planning on doing to grow your local scene. I want to know.

My plan is to print fliers and go to my local game store in Norwalk, CT and ask the owner to post them advertising a "Learn to Play T9A" day at the store. I will coordinate with a friend of mine and we will bring four armies. We will have sample lists that can be played and will do tutorials. I'm thinking of 2000 point lists or so. What do you think @Baranovich? Want to do this with me?

Then in the fall I'm going to organize a one day tournament at the store and see if I can get +20 people to go.
    Yes indeed, this sounds fantastic!
    There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!
  • 3 great videos on this subject which I believe are worth to be mentioned:

Table Top Minions

Why Don't You Start a Wargaming Club?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WcM9vI-ajc

Game Conventions & How to Easily Start One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjF818Jq_RA

OnceBitten360

How to Build a Local Gaming Community: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV6sbzZB7Xo
    KEEP CALM AND PLAY THE 9TH AGE
  • Mr.Owl wrote:

Please post what you are doing or planning on doing to grow your local scene. I want to know.

I have the same plan here in my gaming store. But instead of 2000 points i am planning to make games of 3000 points for people who already played r&f battles in the past and games of 1000 for the people who are completely new to r&f.

People who register for this Event will have a choice which army they want to try out. For the rest we will bring a lot of other sample armies.
  • My city (Uppsala, Sweden) is one of the most prolific in Sweden when it comes to recruiting new players. The reason I would say is that we have 2 grreat stores that allow for, and promote, 9th Age play.

One of them is having one night a week that is 9th-night and are also running 2 Escalation leagues per year (starting small, 500 pts and then growing the roster with 250-500 pts per month, gives a good incentive to build an army). The other has tables and a painting corner. Both stores are cooperating with the local gaming club in getting new players.

In addition, we also try to do different kinds of tournaments as often as we can, from small one-day events for 10 people to larger ESC/ETC-style events.

Tl:dr, cozy up with your local stores and try to work together.
    Square bases, happy faces!

ETC Team Sweden 2016 - Infernal Dwarves
    ETC Team Sweden 2017 - Infernal Dwarves
    WTC Team Sweden 2018 - Empire of Sonnstahl
    ETC Team Bulgaria 2018 (as Mercenary) - Vampire Covenant

UN SW

Tournament Support

Tournament Analysist

• I took our Poster ("Send your armies back to battle" A4 iirc) and got a 20$ acrylic stand from staples.
    I then turned it into a bunch of business cards and put the two of them out on the table while gaming in local stores.

In addition @Morgan_Treeman opened up the Facebook group he runs to be for the whole of Ontario.
    I'm working with a FLGS to have a regular 9th Age event at his store to get the local community out. A lot of guys switched to AoS/KoW then just faded away. I know we can bring it back with some hard work.

As I get my stuff together and my real life allows I am hoping to run a monthly 9th age game day at the FLGS as well as go to some smaller local conventions and run demo games using the QS rules (Hotlead.ca being the biggest)

I need to get my OnG cleaned up and rebuilt so I can run intro games with both units (so that others that don't have an army can play).

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Mr.Owl wrote:

My plan is to print fliers and go to my local game store in Norwalk, CT and ask the owner to post them advertising a "Learn to Play T9A" day at the store. I will coordinate with a friend of mine and we will bring four armies.
    Out of curiosity, will you be using the Quick Starter version? Or simply walking players through their options as they play (ex. "I want to shoot them", you go, "Ok, you pick up the dice and do this...")

Army Community Support

Follow my "first" T9A Army - TEH WOLFKIN
  • FYI - I plan on using the Quickstarter - especially at conventions/demo days.

If I know they played legacy WHFB then I may play a modified version of (Using hte game masters trick of tweak it so it works and the game plays) to get them into the swing.

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Arhain wrote:

Out of curiosity, will you be using the Quick Starter version? Or simply walking players through their options as they play (ex. "I want to shoot them", you go, "Ok, you pick up the dice and do this...")
    I know there are a number of war gaming veterans at that store already. So I will probably have both the QS and full versions and can show both depending on what they want to see. I can see them wanting to see demo games or demo phases and so on. I just plan to be flexible to show them what they are interested in.
  • As an aside, I will say that certain aspects of the project (the management part of things) can be very wearing (draining) on me personally, especially dealing with disputes among the staff. But showcasing the game, playing it with my friends, being out with people at the game store, attending tournaments, these are the things that recharge my batteries. So I'm going to focus on building my local scene a bit more, which will up my enjoyment of T9A considerably. In case anyone is reading this, the game really sells itself when people can see two well-painted armies on a beautiful battlefield.
  • Mr.Owl wrote:

As an aside, I will say that certain aspects of the project (the management part of things) can be very wearing (draining) on me personally, especially dealing with disputes among the staff. But showcasing the game, playing it with my friends, being out with people at the game store, attending tournaments, these are the things that recharge my batteries. So I'm going to focus on building my local scene a bit more, which will up my enjoyment of T9A considerably. In case anyone is reading this, the game really sells itself when people can see two well-painted armies on a beautiful battlefield.
    We're all here to make a great game.

Its important that we remember that game and play it more so we keep our heads on straight.

This should never feel like a grinding job.

It should be a passion project :)

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

- Grouchy Badger

• Maelstorm wrote:

My city (Uppsala, Sweden) is one of the most prolific in Sweden when it comes to recruiting new players. The reason I would say is that we have 2 grreat stores that allow for, and promote, 9th Age play.

One of them is having one night a week that is 9th-night and are also running 2 Escalation leagues per year (starting small, 500 pts and then growing the roster with 250-500 pts per month, gives a good incentive to build an army). The other has tables and a painting corner. Both stores are cooperating with the local gaming club in getting new players.

In addition, we also try to do different kinds of tournaments as often as we can, from small one-day events for 10 people to larger ESC/ETC-style events.

Tl:dr, cozy up with your local stores and try to work together.
    Are any of those GW stores?
  • Hey everybody,

Just a bit of news. Clockwork Comics of Orange, Ct now has a 9th Age flyer and logo on its bulletin board. Clockwork Comics is a gaming store that I've been buying stuff from for years. The owner is the coolest dude you'll ever meet. He does a lot of his business and makes a good deal of his money from Magic The Gathering which he hosts events for in the store, but he also constantly stocks the full GW range of AOS fantasy and 40k sci-fi and has done so for years, at least since late WH 6th Edition. The other half of the store is vintage comics and collectible hero figurines.

Now one of the coolest things about this store is that he's also got a TON of vintage WH stuff still new in the packages as well as many, many vintage WH blisters. He's selling all of that WH stuff while supplies last alongside all the newer AOS stuff. He's one of only places I know of in all of CT where you can actually still walk in and buy off the shelf a boxed regiment set of WH 8th Edition dwarves or orcs or Empire, brand new.

The other cool thing is that even though the store is small, there is enough space for a decent-sized gaming area. He's got two permanent 4 x 6 tables set up. I'm hoping I can get some people start playing fantasy battles at the store. Most of the time it's 40k that's played but the tables are often empty for long stretches of time. Far more people just buy stuff there and then play at home or other places. But this store is only about 20 minutes from me so it would be awesome if I could make it a 9th Age destination.

I had the store added to the Gamefor App. as well. The 9th Age flyer has my contact information on it as well as a link to the 9th Age site. Hopefulyl I'll get some hits from fantasy players who happen to be browsing the store! :thumbup:

I didn't do anything fancy, I just printed out the biggest version of the 9th Age logo that I could possibly fit on a normal piece of computer paper, but that's plenty big and visible enough to be seen if you're browsing the GW ranges in the store.

Steve and I will also be working on getting 9th Age visibly posted at the Battlegrounds store in Norwalk, Ct as well.

Here's the Facebook link to the store and some pics:

facebook.com/pg/Clockwork-Comi…&album_id=118706631499458

There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!
  • Looks like a good store. There are only two tables? Where do the magic players go? You could use their tables for events. I recommend printing the official 9thage posters and posting them in the store. They are european paper format but i can send you my files that i rescaled with photoshop.
  • Morgan_Treeman wrote:

Looks like a good store. There are only two tables? Where do the magic players go? You could use their tables for events. I recommend printing the official 9thage posters and posting them in the store. They are european paper format but i can send you my files that i rescaled with photoshop.
    Actually the photos are from quite a while ago, 2010. However the layout is still pretty much identical in terms of where the gaming tables are and where all the products are on the walls. You can't see it in the photos but there's also two more tables with chairs that are like picnic-sized 3 x 6 ft. where Magic is played. He can get about 10-15 to fit at those tables, maybe more. It's a tight space but it works. So the gaming events he holds aren't huge by any means but her certainly is able to fill the store and most of the people who game there also buy there. The store is bigger than it looks in the photos and he's managed to fit in quite a bit of gaming area despite the limitations of size.