How to make this forum happy place with pink unicorns everywhere

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Darguth wrote:

I'm not sure what the site infrastructure looks like, but as a professional advocate for Agile development I'd strongly urge an incremental approach. Get something out early and iterate. Even if it's only a paragraph-long blurb on 4 factions to start with. Start it. Then grow it and polish it over time.
    That already exists - it's in the full rulebook. That's why I want a page, so we can direct people towards the material which already exists.

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

"It is not power, or title, or name which makes a hero. It is what you do with those things. Any person may prove their worth." "Even the peasants?" "Now lad, let's not be daft!"
  • Ghiznuk wrote:

A dedicated page would be nice.
    I can add a link to the French subforum in our links to the Community page (and put is somewhere on top). That should make it a lot more visible. Same goes for a wiki.
  • Also, I understand that we don't have a Starters Book for v.2.

That is understandable since it's only a « beta » version, but the reality is that today everyone is already playing v.2 !

It'd be cool designing a new Starters Book for v.2 regardless.
    Anyway, I don't think the basic rules are still going to change much, most updates are on the line of details such as « distributed to –> distributed onto », and the most advanced rules that often get redesign (Light Troops, etc.) are not included in the Starters.

As for the changes to unit profiles, I don't think that should prevent us from doing a Starters Book, we could just republish a new version when any changes happen, noone will notice as most new players are expected to transit to the « full » game and Army Books after a few battles.
    GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • Scottish Knight wrote:

Darguth wrote:

I'm not sure what the site infrastructure looks like, but as a professional advocate for Agile development I'd strongly urge an incremental approach. Get something out early and iterate. Even if it's only a paragraph-long blurb on 4 factions to start with. Start it. Then grow it and polish it over time.
    That already exists - it's in the full rulebook. That's why I want a page, so we can direct people towards the material which already exists.
    The "Beginners page: Click here" Could use some reworking.

I still think we should have non-forum page as a gateway page for the-ninth-age.com, with a link to the forum, and to the download sections of the forum. That way we can put a lot of this stuff right there on a simple modern homepage.

Yes I know thats not an opinion held by many running the site, but the forum is not newbie friendly and is a marketing nightmare.

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• kisanis wrote:

Yes I know thats not an opinion held by many running the site, but the forum is not newbie friendly and is a marketing nightmare.
    I believe this is a misunderstanding. Most "people running the site" are aware of this, and we do want a better place for newcomers. It has been requested dozens of times, by dozens of different people. We're not so blind that we refuse to acknowledge those requests. ;)

Part of the issue lies here actually:

Shlagrabak wrote:

This is a major problem for the sake of both the visitors and volunteers. Speaking personally, this is why I left the team and why I won't be back among the staff. Over time, it ends up grinding you down even when you start up level headed and aware of the bias of negative representation.
    This has two consequences in my mind:
    • past negativity: many in the staff (including people running the site :P ) are ground down by years (almost 3 for some of them) of suffering negativity on the forum. However hard you try to ignore it, accept it, promote positive posts and threads - it bears down on the morale in the long term.
    • future negativity: this negativity means we have turn over in the staff; and in turn, this means that any solution we put in place for the front page - or more contents - must be easily maintainable by various people. Spending months on coding a cool website is useless if the people that code it leave because of burn out soon after. This means we should use simple tools or frameworks to make sure it won't be too hard to find people for continuity in the future.
    I take full responsibility for point #2 blocking any evolution in the past 18 months. For a simple reason: before we use "another tool" I would like to explore what the next version of the forum software allows us to do, as I believe it could help us - I'm not 100% sure about it though. Various reasons have delayed this software upgrade: plugins (such as the user map) that were not compatible in a first time; test infrastructure then; time and availability (I've had way less time for the last 6 months than before); other priorities (server change); point #1.

Discussion has taken a new turn recently though, with concrete proposals. We can expect progress... in the months to come.
    T9A vacations on going. Not available on the forum.
    For any admin matter, please contact @tiny or @Grimbold Blackhammer.
    For any matter related to French translation, please contact @_Gg (Groumbahk).
    For any matter related to magic cards, please wait until I'm back. They're finally done! See the Beta Rules tab or Professionally printed Magic cards
  • I think reorganizing the title page in general would be a worthy project. It's crowded and a bit unappealing.
    Vote Clodius Commodus Catilina for Tyrant.
    Free grain - no taxes - Avras reconquered - two slaves for every Rat - Triumphs daily - 24/7 chariot racing - Twice the Tribunes - a surface Chicken in every pot - Eat the Rich

True Heirs of Avras: Vermin Swarm Auxillary Army books
  • Iluvatar (sabbatical) wrote:

I believe this is a misunderstanding. Most "people running the site" are aware of this, and we do want a better place for newcomers. It has been requested dozens of times, by dozens of different people. We're not so blind that we refuse to acknowledge those requests
    I misspoke - I didn't mean to say that the problem is unknown, more that we're not sure how to deal with the issue in the longterm and shortterm. I know that we have been needing someone with a strong background in webdesign+admin. My opinion (before I was staff) was to just make a simple simple splash screen to give us some basics with a link to the forums.

By no means do I mean to discredit the work you and the rest of the site admins do :)

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• That's specifically the plugin we have... :rolleyes:
    For any matter related to magic cards, please wait until I'm back. They're finally done! See the Beta Rules tab or Professionally printed Magic cards
  • By the way, on my browser (Firefox), the « News » heading has been hidden since the « Beta Rules » tab appeared among the different headings,
    so I have to click on the « Menu » symbol at the far right in order to check whether any News have come in.

That's very tiring.

I'd much better have the tabs « Wiki », « Dashboard » or « Map » hidden rather than the « News » one.
  • i think the good solution is:
    Create a sub-forum somewhere . Something called "FAQ complain about T9A"
    in this forum Pinned up and lock the official answer to main complain, with detailled and nuanced explanation, that also give back history of T9A for new player, to understand decision:
    There is too many change.
    The Beta verison is in fact the official one like i can see any turnament in 1.3
    There is no fluff.
    Etc...

Create some Forum rules in each section of the forum.
    When an complain already answered appear, move it to this new sub-forum and as answer just send the link of the pinned and locked topic.

But this ask lot more moderation than actually.
    Do the actual negativity require such decision, i am not sure ?

I do like the actual liberal T9A forum.. When i compare to the french forum, where i always found that moderation looks like dictatorial...
    But in same time, the strong moderation of french forum give result. the ofrum is clean, and a post that deviate from rules, is closed really fast. And nobody complain of this hard moderation.
    cas-p.net / graphic & web designer.
    SE - VS - O&G - EoS / 9th age player.
  • Sure, but that is also because the French forum is not the place people go to when they want to propose constructive solutions.

I mean, most decisions are taken in English on the English-speaking forum.
    The French forum is there to discuss strategy, ask questions, give translations in French of stuff that have been made up in English, organize events in France/Belgium/Québec/Francophone Africa (I wish ^^). But not where the actual game design takes place. It's mostly commenting.

So the negativity on the French forum is just there to be negative, whereas the negativity on the English forum has some chance of being noticed and discussed and taken into account to do something constructive.

Both forums have a very different function.

That means a strong moderation on the French forum does not hurt the project, but a strong moderation on the English forum has the risk of preventing collective designing and giving more power to the official committees that are only a minority of the most dedicated (and available) community members.

Not saying that we don't need a stronger moderation on the English forum, just that we can't simply copy the ways of the French forum to the English forum cuz what is at stake is different.
  • Blonde Beer wrote:

I can add a link to the French subforum in our links to the Community page (and put is somewhere on top). That should make it a lot more visible. Same goes for a wiki.
    FYI, it's already linked in the French subsection of the forum ("Le Warfo" link).

kisanis wrote:

By no means do I mean to discredit the work you and the rest of the site admins do
    I know. I wouldn't expect that from you, seeing your constructive, positive and friendly attitude. :)
    Just wanted to make it clear for everyone! ;)

Casp wrote:

And nobody complain of this hard moderation.
    First time I read that no one complains about the moderation out there! I've seen loads of that in the past.
    Not that I disagree with the moderation line they have; it's a matter of having a policy and applying it consistently. :)

JimMorr wrote:

So the configuration is for admins only, not the users? Or I just can't find it?
    Admins only indeed.

JimMorr wrote:

Than you should have option to remove from last ten posts national forums and naybe army specific forums. If one is interested in them subscribe option is always there...
    Good point. I've just removed both national forums and army specific ones. Other admins, feel free to override me if you disagree. :)
    Not sure if that will help with the overall mood though, since General Discussion is where much of the critics take place.