2.04 Release- BLT Responses to Questions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• arwaker wrote:

Not sure if still a topic, but yet noone here was able to provide a theoretical answer that would have pleased those unhappy parts of the community. The data-driven answer of adam might be a good one, but unfortunately there is no large tournament quantity availible.

I still think this unahppyness of some members is based on unprecise questions and disagreement with the decision itself. Imho most of the blt statements are fairly good referring to the question.
    But... how do you expect us to provide rational behind the decisions we do not agree with? The ones we would be content with?
    Dont you find it self contradictory?
    Community asked questions about BLT decisions it (community) wasnt happy with. Personally I assumed that my judgement might be one sided and lacking in depth understanding. So, the answers from BLT would enlighten me on the matter, show me that there is a logic and system behind these decisions. I was ready to be convinced by the valid arguments.
    The answers given were anything but that.
  • arwaker wrote:

No, I think in this case its less a matter of data, but more of how to exactly phrase a question, in order to force the blt ro give the answer we are at least not disappointed with.

But for this, we first must accept the decision itself. Then it is easier to find the words that guide the answering party in the intended direction. Then some light will shine on the rrasoning behind the decision. We can disagree, but we must accept the decision as such. Blt could be wrong, then time will prove it. But as well community could be wrong. Also this time will tell.

A good example is maybe the Fleet Officer. I also dont agree with the price. But I can hardly imagine an answer that would be more appropriate for the question. So maybe the question was not precise enough. Well, time will tell the truth about that Officer.
    I'll give the Fleet Officer question a go. I'll be honest, going through and preparing this answer, only referring to the exact question and not using the knowledge of the question I originally asked (breakdown of how the price was reached with rationale), the answer is not as bad as I first thought. Perhaps asking the rationale behind the 90 point price tag after referring to 1 aspect of the honour, is not as clear and blunt as simply asking for the breakdown of the price tag without referring to anything else.

BLT Answer:
    Question: Considering that +1 to deploy first is a double edged sword (as it is a common tactic to drop for first turn), and comparing the leadership buff to what a BSB provides, what is the rationale behind the 90 point price tag?

Answer: The +1 deploy has been clarified prior to release of this FAQ to allow it to be used in the manner originally intended. In addition, Fleet officer seems much more as a substitute of BSB, not a compliment.

IMO Better Answer:
    The +1 deploy has been clarified so there is no longer a downside allowing it to be used as originally intended. We consider the leadership buff is best used on a general in order to replace the BSB. Therefore, although the leadership buff is strictly worse than a BSB, we would price it to be 50pts as it opens up the choice of not running a BSB in our opinion, allowing those character points for a Commander to be put to better use (e.g. OoTFH Dragon + Fleet Officer Prince). The remaining 40 points is made up of: 5 points for cover volley and steady aim, 35 points for +1 to choosing Deployment zones. The cost for +2 to hit using Sky Reaper is included in the cost for the Sky Sloop.

Even better answer if question was simply: Provide a breakdown of how many points each rule is worth for the Fleet Officer:
    Cover Volley and Steady Aim: 5 points. This is worth points due to the fact it can be combined with Bow of Elu.
    +2 to hit with Sky Reaper: points included in Sky Sloop upgrade
    Deployment Rule: 35 points. If we were to create a magic item with this rule, we would price it around this level. It is a unique rule so it is very hard to price at first.
    Leadership Rule: 50 points. We feel this is a substitute for the BSB so it is worth the same amount. It is not as good, but it means you don't need to have an extra character simply to be the BSB.

Obviously, beyond the Fleet Officer is a substitute for BSB, everything is completely made up. But you can see how providing this level of detail would actually promote some more understanding of how the price was reached which is the intention of the questions, rather than a 2 line answer which doesn't give much information at all. It could give an idea into how much BLT values certain abilities and rules, giving insight into future design work so designers know not to waste their time on an idea that will be priced to oblivion.
  • Havnt been around for a while but am unsurprised by the perfunctory nature of the answers given.

I think the lack of community interest in this (2 and a bit pages in 10 days on a forum subset that was preciously so active) really shows how many people have stopped caring about the project and its increasingly wayward (at least from a HBE perspective) direction.

I am very amused by the HWotF explanation though, how often has it been said that things are not the sum of their parts, and then his cost is literally the sum of a load of other parts. Thats ignoring the fact that destiny's call gives a 4+ and doesnt require you to pay 10 pts for heavy armour of course.

Banter.
  • PadForce wrote:

I think the lack of community interest in this (2 and a bit pages in 10 days on a forum subset that was preciously so active) really shows how many people have stopped caring about the project and its increasingly wayward (at least from a HBE perspective) direction.
    Very true from HBE perspective. ....the other army forums are quite active and positive :)
    Word is that discussions internally on the armybook redoo are promising.

Also it is summer time so people tend to participate less, go outside and stuff.
  • Peacemaker wrote:

PadForce wrote:

.Also it is summer time so people tend to participate less, go outside and stuff.
    ha fair enough, i have heard that there is some kind of competition other than ETC on at the moment :)