Just a thought about the name "9th Age"

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Just a thought about the name "9th Age"

This might be discussed before, but I've been wondering the name of our game. Would there be a time to change the name of the greatest ranked fantasy battle game ever made. The 9th Age still kind of reminds its ancestor and does not describe the game as good name (brand) should do. More descriptive name could also be more beneficial for getting completely new players to the field.

Just a thought.
  • T9A is managed as an independent project, and not by a large recognizable company that could support a name change by porting T9A concepts onto a potential new name; even WFB, carried by GW to AOS, did not rebrand completely and kept the "Warhammer" element. T9A is settling in the general opinion along with its vision and gameplay and changing THE name comes at the risk of losing this identity - not counting the redesign work (logos used on T9A website and by the supporting companies, books, etc.)

The subscript could be used to do that (currently, T9A: Fantasy battles), but this would have little chance to stick as T9A in itself is already broadly accepted and recognized. WFB v8 aura is fading and only those who played then would make the link, so not an obstacle for new players. The background to come may even "ground" this name in the general setting, giving it the depth it needs.

The issue I have with regards to the name is when it comes to translations as I believe we should stick to a single name and acronym.
  • Don't forget that changing the name would be much more detrimental than any advantage we would potentially gain.

Idum wrote:

when it comes to translations as I believe we should stick to a single name and acronym.
    This has been discussed with various linguistic communities.
    Some don't mind using English titles.
    Some are very concerned about the use of proper translations. In particular, we have seen some negative rections after GW decided to cease to translate most names of units.
    We try to listen to our communities.
    Those who strongly wish to translate The 9th Age, may do so.
    The only mandatory prescription is that everyone must use the same acronym, T9A, for the whole world no matter the language.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • Dalin O'Balin wrote:

This might be discussed before, but I've been wondering the name of our game. Would there be a time to change the name of the greatest ranked fantasy battle game ever made. The 9th Age still kind of reminds its ancestor and does not describe the game as good name (brand) should do. More descriptive name could also be more beneficial for getting completely new players to the field.

Just a thought.
    In a short answer: respectfully no. I believe it would be a terrible decision to change the name now.

9th Age the name is now over three years old. It has become the brand name for the revival of mass fantasy battle. It is now part of the lexicon of the fantasy genre along side 40k, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings etc. When I go to my local store and curious people walk up and ask us what we're playing, I say "9th Age". Just like people say "40k". Or "AOS". Imagine if GW suddenly changed the name 40k to something like "Warhammer Far Flung Future of Death" just to use a silly hypothetical. Wouldn't matter. People would still call it 40k! And those same people would totally and utterly mock GW for changing an iconic name that didn't need changing in the first place!

What's more, many players like myself and Mr. Owl (Steve!) have endeavored to get the 9th Age logo up on store bulletin boards and other places so that it's visible for potential new players.

I can't tell you how many people have stopped by our tables who had no idea that 9th Age even existed as a game and they said "hey, what's this game, nobody around here plays mass fantasy any more?"

Telling them we play "9th Age" is perfect branding because it's SHORT. It FLOWS. It comes off the tongue in a pleasing way. It only takes a mere second to say it! "Oh you play AOS". "Oh there's a 40k tournament next week." "Oh we play 9th Age."

In other words, 9th Age as a name is a success! That logo is now visible and present on numerous miniature websites and I just physically posted it one our local stores here in CT. That logo has been posted in countless other places all over Europe as well.

To change it now...to suddenly call it something new...to change the logo and rebrand it and call it something new - I think that would horribly undermine the game's presence and sense of legitimacy.

Just do a google search for "New Coke" and you will see what I'm talking about. ;)
    There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Baranovich ().

• Dalin O wrote:

Just a thought.
    oh yes this has been discussed ... :)
    Mainly all solid arguments are pro changing the name, especially since Gold is approaching.
    But it wont ever happen as 9th Age fanboys are convinced that convinced that A) change will weaken the strong brand name 9th Age has (really there is none) and B) its a great name (really? Yes really).

Look the thread up - or maybe don't. Its not that great :)
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • Pellegrim wrote:

Dalin O wrote:

Just a thought.
    oh yes this has been discussed ... :) Mainly all solid arguments are pro changing the name, especially since Gold is approaching.
    But it wont ever happen as 9th Age fanboys are convinced that convinced that A) change will weaken the strong brand name 9th Age has (really there is none) and B) its a great name (really? Yes really).

Look the thread up - or maybe don't. Its not that great :)
    9th Age "fanboys"? That's rather disrespectful and inflammatory don't you think? How about recognizing the fact that 9th Age is the name that is now recognizable and very visible, and to change it in mid-stream would force the game to start its identity all over again from scratch essentially. Which could in turn hurt the game's overall momentum and player base.

Having that opinion and holding that position about the 9th Age name doesn't make me a "fanboy" Pell. You need to learn to be more mature, diplomatic and respectful in the way you word what you say. :)
    There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!
  • Pellegrim wrote:

Yes immense barrier - cant be done.

X/
    Yes, it's an immense barrier because the only opinion you allow to have any legitimacy and credibility is your OWN. Any other position on the issue could only possibly come from those who aren't thinking clearly and only want to sabotage your unique vision for the game - which apparently is flawless in every way. Do I have it about right?

I reported your fanboy post and I hope to see it taken down soon. Pell, we worked together on the campaign team and never once did I call you anything derogatory or insulting. Despite having differences I never engaged in name-calling.

You can have whatever opinion you want and you have a right to express it.

But I'll not stand for you labeling 9th Age forum members and insulting us because we feel and believe that 9th Age and its name are moving forward on solid ground at this point.

If you feel that this project and its strongest community supporters are just juvenile fanboys...then...how about you go off and create your own game? :thumbsup:
  • nah, trust me this game need people with a realistic view on things; more then enough people without any critical opinion on matters.
    I have no real interest to argue with you, as I don't find your opinions very valuable, and think in the end 9th needs on point feedback. Sry if that sounds harsh - but its how I really think about matters.
  • @Pellegrim, with all due respect, it doesn't matter what opinions you, @Baranovich or me find valuable or not. What matters is the rationale you can provide and the observables that support it, in order to allow the project (not us) to make the most informed decisions. So far you are only presenting subjective judgements: you don't believe previous arguments (without explaining what makes you think it - all we have is "trust me, I know") and you think lowly of people involved in the project ("not realistic view", "without any critical opinion", "I don't value your opinions"), wrapped up in irony and borderline name-calling/ad hominem. None of that is helpful right now. If you have something constructive, concrete and objective to share, that's fantastic and is what you need to focus on, for explanation make criticism usable. If it's just about what you like or how you feel, you are of course entitled to your opinion as anybody else, but a) I'm afraid to say you'll need more if you mean to convince the project and b) a little modesty wouldn't hurt - at least present it as your personal and humble opinion (which leaves room for others to exist).
  • I haven't read any solid arguments actually. People seem to think that "providing alot of words" makes for good opinions. With respect, the two have very little in common.

The name.change arguments are clear. Break old reference to that other game, and find a name that is actually a good name. Sure, some side issue will occur. None are as relevant as the advantages of a new name. No matter how.many words you spend on it. Though fanboys will always differ with that opinion. As such, discussion here is irrelevant.
  • The current official name is Fantasy Battles: T9A.
    Reading in the forum some people only call it Fantasy Battles, specually if compared with other rules (FB:T9A, QS:T9A).

I have to say I did not found this game the first time I looked for it at T3 because I searched for The Ninth Age and not for Fantasy Battles.

My personal impression is that there is already a name change, with T9A being the trademark for the whole "Universe" and the specific game everyone is playing is called Fantasy Battles.
  • Pellegrim wrote:

I haven't read any solid arguments actually. People seem to think that "providing alot of words" makes for good opinions. With respect, the two have very little in common.

The name.change arguments are clear. Break old reference to that other game, and find a name that is actually a good name. Sure, some side issue will occur. None are as relevant as the advantages of a new name. No matter how.many words you spend on it. Though fanboys will always differ with that opinion. As such, discussion here is irrelevant.
    I do not see the advantage with a name change. Just because your arguments are clear does not mean they are strong.
    Warhammer did not win in competition with rivaling games due to its magnificant name. The 9th Age is fine.
    Breaking old reference to another game have been done by writing the background around the ages and as the game keeps evolving the old reference becomes less and less relevant. AoS is on its second edition and it is fewer and fewer that will make the connection. The challenge ahead is to recruit new players that has not played in the Old World. The marker for old players that wished for this game instead of AoS is probably all tapped out at this stage. A new name does not help in my view.
    Finding a name that is good implies that there is a super name out there. I do not think that there is a name with as good qualtiy to make the change worth it.
  • johedl wrote:

Warhammer did not win in competition with rivaling games due to its magnificant name.
    The name Warhammer is brilliantly chosen and of a completely different level then The 9th Age. The two are uncomparable. If the distinction between Warhammer and The 9th Age isn't crisp clear to you, you know little of brand name strength, and, with respect, further discussion is totally pointless.
  • Given: 9th Age was a brilliant Beta name. It did exactly what is intended: remind people this is the to-go-to game after 8th ed.

It will lose it's purpose evenutally (already) and hasnt got a brand name strenght, as the current player mostly consist of oldhammerers. Moving forward, the game does deserve a fitting name, that offers the benfits a name can bring. Check marketingmo for info on what a brand name can do for a brand. It can be a very sensible choice.