Åskland book feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Due to a temporary issue, avatars are currently disabled. Don't worry, this is known and looked at!

• Åskland book feedback

New

We need feedback from players who have experience or know someone who does of using Åskland book in games.

Now that the Makhar auxiliary book is being developed we are going to look if Åskland book needs some updating too. Nothing major though. There has been one bigger wdg book update since Åskland book was released and BRB has kept evolving too so contradicting rule issues between all these three books (if any) would be nice to find and fix.

Over/under -performing units could see some point changes and so on.

I'll tag @Blonde Beer and @Pellegrim as I know you have some knowledge of Åskland book or at least could point us to the direction where to obtain it. :)

This thread is not meant for discussion of the book so information we seek isn't scattered between posts.

Anyone who has used this book or played against it is free to share their experiences.
    All things wargaming. My super entertaining hobby blog where anything wargaming related can happen.

"I heard a television interviewer once suggest that the use of dice made battlegaming on par with Snakes and Ladders and such like games of change. Well, he was being just stupid, or trying to take a rise out of his guest. It is in fact the imponderable which does give reality to 'Battle' and, as we shall see, does cause the players to make proper allowance for the unlikely or even seemingly impossible, which, as we read, did happen surprisingly frequently in the annals of war."
    -Charles Grant
  • New

Much appreciated. :)
    All things wargaming. My super entertaining hobby blog where anything wargaming related can happen.

"I heard a television interviewer once suggest that the use of dice made battlegaming on par with Snakes and Ladders and such like games of change. Well, he was being just stupid, or trying to take a rise out of his guest. It is in fact the imponderable which does give reality to 'Battle' and, as we shall see, does cause the players to make proper allowance for the unlikely or even seemingly impossible, which, as we read, did happen surprisingly frequently in the annals of war."
    -Charles Grant
  • New

Hard to say for certain for me without playing some more games. It was a LOT of infantry coming at me at high speed with this list, which is impossible for some lists to handle. But I don't remember any specific thing being OP, apart from maybe the number of Huscarls on the board!

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

"It is not power, or title, or name which makes a hero. It is what you do with those things. Any person may prove their worth." "Even the peasants?" "Now lad, let's not be daft!"
  • New

I've played five games with them at a tournament using a sub-par list (Which I found out the hard way ;) ).

I'm only commenting on stuff I used and things I'm wondering about:

Hairy dairy: Frostbite; meh! Didn't use it once. Okay together with Huscarls with spears though.

Eyratöki: Too expensive, should be allowed on spear.

Norn's Bones: Nice item to have since you can have a 175pts mage fivedicing comets, should maybe be restricted to adept for just this reason. Price seems fine.

Jarl upgrade: Feels mandatory but it should ie a Jarl should lead your forces and he should be better than the other Chiefs. Pricing seems appropriate.

Longboat raid: Love it. Price is fair. Should be clarified that you autopass the ambush-roll to evade rules-lawyering.

Åsklander Chief: Weak with potential, is okay.

Seidhkennar: An okay mage with an okay price. Access to lores seems fine both fluffwise and for play.

Åsklanders: They're fine, bit expensive in this list, but meh. Definitely going with bows next time.

Warhounds: Awesome.

Åsklander Horsemen: They're fine.

Warriors: Can one Mark them? Ie use the entire entry from Wotdg-book? Maybe clarify.

Wargs: Really good heavy chaff; feeling really pricey at @220/2 models, worth it though.

Berserkers: Super good glass-cannon unit. They hit like a ton of bricks regardless of equipment but dies like flies if anything looks at them funny. Light troops is very good. Maybe include Swiftstride in the Berserker's bear pelt to make it more viable to play a Chief in this unit. They seem priced fine.

Marauding giant with Tribal warspear: Okayish but oh so pricey. Too expensive.

Jötunn: I really like this monster! It hardly had any attacks, debuffs everything in contact and is just a big immovable object! Good design and fun. Pricing seems fine.

The Åsklander list overall feels competitive, it does have some issues vs gunlines/SE on account of lack of shooting and these games can be quite one-sided but that's okay when playing an auxiliary list in a tournament I believe (it's not meant to be balanced). The access to different monsters (kraken, trolls, wargs, Jötunn) and troops (Huscarls, Berserkers) makes the army feel unique and fluffy.
  • New

Thanks for the feedback. This is just what we need. :)

About warriors and favors. Åskland book was written before favors were introduced to warriors in wdg book and this created the current unclear situation.

It will be clarified in the update so that warriors in åskland book won't have access to favors. Warriors aren't the focus of this book and adding sin favors would mess the whole theme of this army.

-Charles Grant
  • New

I discovered the book yesterday (I don't know why I waited so long) and it's awesome ! I didn't try it yet but the book feels super cool, nice fluff descriptions, and you really have the "viking feel" looking at units. I can't wait to try it and I'm already looking at viking models on the net now ahah

One little thing, that Eisenhans mentionned by the way, the chief going into the longboat raid ambushing unit doesn't have swiftstride. So he slows down the berserkers if in it.

Overall excellent work, I didn't expect such quality from an "unofficial" army book. Also can we please have more magical objects ? Would be cool !
  • New

How many barbarian army books will be there?
    Makhar, Askland.

Maybe they could be connected later into single book with tribes as theme/mechanic in similar fashion like bloodlines, cults, marks, big names, honours, etc.
    Current armies:
    WDG - Waiting for better times
    VC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Armywide Signature Spells - Check! Maybe you could add something more? Success! We got Hereditary Spells!
  • New

About the warriors, why not just remove Them from the book. For me the aux books should be more cohesive units wise and less is more . We have two New cool infantry units in bazerkers and huskals. They should be our go too infantry.

I Hope for the next aux book that it stays slim and without overlapping functions for each unit so each unit feels speciel on it's own.

+ i really like the book. It feels like a 6th edition warhammer book and I am really excited for what may be released in the future.
    Former VS ABC, up till 1.0.
    Creating a VS fan book. Check it here. It's not about coming up with new stuff but solving the issue in the book right now.
    I like any feedback possible. Text heavy introduction. Skinny Book.
  • New

Diablo_DF wrote:

Didn't play nor am I interested in playing but may I ask why you went for cross-references to other books instead of making a full book with some entries copied over? It's pretty annoying to read.
    IIRC it was decided to do that to avoid updating book whenever entry from other book is changed.
    Current armies:
    WDG - Waiting for better times
    VC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Armywide Signature Spells - Check! Maybe you could add something more? Success! We got Hereditary Spells!
  • New

Looking through the book now, I think I have some (not immediately play-related) feedback, and I think this is the right place (if not, please poke me gently... a separate mini-forum for the Åsklanders really would be great).

Anyway, it seems tailormade for anyone who has a historical viking army (and some luck with their basing: mine's on 25mm round, which should be close enough with some clever (or high-lipped) movement trays). However: very often Jarls, chieftains (or whatever they're called in that particular system) end up on larger bases. While it's not that daunting to paint one (or two, or three) additional figures, it would still be nice if there were some way to upgrade the Chieft to a larger base (say, 50x50 to still match the rest of the horde). Preferably something cheap (perhaps even free, and with no additional effect).

I just need to expand my vikings, (and get another army to provide the enemy), and then I'll gladly try this out.
  • New

War dais is 50x50 upgrade for chiefs and it represent chief and his bodyguard pretty well I think. 4 strength 4 attack in addition to chiefs attacks. :)

-Charles Grant
  • New

jirga wrote:

War dais is 50x50 upgrade for chiefs and it represent chief and his bodyguard pretty well I think. 4 strength 4 attack in addition to chiefs attacks. :)
    Thank you. I've obviously not looked close enough at the WotDG book ;) Will "soon" start converting a nice inset for the boss (as well as an untold number of command groups, since my current viking units are only 12 strong)