Rune of Resonance question

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Due to a temporary issue, avatars are currently disabled. Don't worry, this is known and looked at!

• Rune of Resonance question

New

The new Resonance rune is nice, but I have one issue with the wording.

"All instances of RoR on a unit immediatly end when a Battle Rune i successfully cast on the unit"

Does the duplication with RoR count as casting the spell on the unit with RoR?

My original interpretation: I cast RoR on a Copter. I cast Gleaming on some other unit duplicating onto the Copter, but RoR does not expire as it was not the actual target of the spell but only the duplicate. Basically, as long as I don't cast a Rune directly on the RoR affected unit, RoR remains permanent.

Correct or wrong? I'm not sure myself after reading it over and over again.
    If it is correct, the 50p sure is justifiable price, if not...

Tool Support AB 3.x

ETC 2018 Team Norway, Captain
  • New

Squigkikka wrote:

Rune of Resonance

Bound Spell, Power Level (5/8). Type: Augment. Range 12". Duration: Permanent.
    When a friendly model casts a Battle Rune anywhere on the Battlefield, a single unit with at least one model affected by
    the Rune of Resonance may be chosen as an additional target of the Battle Rune (during step 1 of the Casting Attempt),
    with the following restrictions:
    ● A unit cannot be chosen if it is already a target of the Battle Rune.
    ● Only a single unit per Magic Phase can be affected as an additional target of a Battle Rune.
    ● All instances of Rune of Resonance on a unit immediately end when a Battle Rune is successfully cast on the
    unit.
    ● Characters that leave a combined unit stop being affected by the Rune of Resonance.[/spoiler]

In a nutshell: Cast Rune of Resonance on a unit to give them a "permanent" buff. The next time you are about to cast a Battle Rune on another unit, you can announce a unit with this Resonance Buff as extra target- getting a 2 for 1 if the Battle Rune goes through. Several units can have Resonance on them in a turn, but only 1 may be chosen as additional target. If a Battle Rune is cast on a unit with Resonance, the "permanent" buff goes away. If the Battle Rune is dispelled, the "permanent" buff remains (until you do get a cast off).

That's the gist of it, but there's a few more things to prevent rule shenanigans in there.
    From May Update for v204 Sneak Peek (ADT Changes)

Also I may not have an orange tag but I know how to read the rules...
  • New

To clarify the rune a bit more based on the text.

My original interpretation: I cast RoR on a Copter. I cast Gleaming on some other unit duplicating onto the Copter, but RoR does not expire as it was not the actual target of the spell but only the duplicate. Basically, as long as I don't cast a Rune directly on the RoR affected unit, RoR remains permanent.
    You cast ROR on the copter, oponent lets it pass.
    You cast gleaming on any other unit, and now the resonance rune triggers, and the resonance copter is added as additional target...so this fulfills the target and the cast on it requirement to end the rune of resonance. It is replaced by the casted gleaming rune. But resonance is ended.

And this is not an interpretion, but basically exactly what the text tells. The requirement to end the permanent status of rune of resonance is that the unit is affected by another runic spell. It is not necessary to target the unit directly with the spell. Because it is added as additional target to the other spell via rune of resonance if you wish. But after beein a target of a spell, be it via triggering the rune of resonance or be it via beeing directly targeted, the rune of resonance ends on this unit.
  • New

I definitely think we can be a bit more civil to each other! It's totally understandable it's not 100% clear since the Rune of Resonance is a fairly complicated spell to word correctly to avoid sneaky stuff!

When you trigger RoR on a unit, it counts as an additional target- and therefore it expires since they also count as a target. I think we had to reword this like 4 times internally before all angles (as we perceived them) could be covered, hah!
  • New

If you write that it expires after a successful duplication, then suddenly all Runes of Resonance go away the moment you duplicate a Battle Rune- which would be a bit unfortunate for the units not targeted! It would also make enemy DH duplication's remove it :P

The wording as it is now provides the best catch-all I think, and follow how similar spells are worded I believe.